VA - Amy Bradley, 23, Petersburg, 24 March 1998 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We closed this thread for over a year due to infractions of our TOS. Many would like to keep this thread open and discuss the case. In order for this to happen we need everyone to follow TOS and treat each other with respect. Please do not discuss other members; and link to your facts using credible sources and those which are allowed on Websleuths.

Thank you!

We closed this thread for over a year due to infractions of our TOS. Many would like to keep this thread open and discuss the case. In order for this to happen we need everyone to follow TOS and treat each other with respect. Please do not discuss other members; and link to your facts using credible sources and those which are allowed on Websleuths.

Thank you!

Thank you for keeping us in line and for keeping this thread open!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does Interpol list her place of disappearance as the Caribbean Sea as opposed to the island of Curaçao?

The second link lists these sources for their information on their page:

The FBI page about Amy is gone.

The National Center for Missing Adults page about Amy is gone.

The Namus page is still up stating Amy was last seen on 24 March 1998.

Presumably "Caribbean Sea" because she disappeared from a cruise ship that was in the water.

The FBI page is no longer available for reasons unknown to us, but when Salem made Post #2 with the FBI's working link in 2012, Amy's case was under the FBI category of "Kidnap":

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ION-**READ-FIRST-POST**&p=8324395#post8324395

Wondering if removal from FBI page is the result of possibly too many tips ect. being received about the case?

Here is an interesting video about Rhapsody of the sea I found on YouTube. It is 11 minutes long, but in the first 3 minutes or so, you get perspective from a starboard balcony.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cP7WZ05EyPU

At 6:48 you get a real good perspective of how far the life boats stick out.

Wondering if removal from FBI page is the result of possibly too many tips ect. being received about the case?

I have no idea, but I would assume they would want all tips, even if they have a back log of tips?

Makes you wonder how many tips/sightings they have gotten over the course of 17 years....

Who here has not checked out the family's website for Amy, and not guessed that, at the least, they have lost some hope? Forgive me for offering something only as speculation here, but as I believe pure speculation is allowed, I would suggest that Amy's family has been told by some authorities that they believe that she is dead, and that her case has been effectively closed.

Yes, I know that it has been alleged that there are numerous witnesses of her being alive after that fateful night. But I also know how private investigation works. Speaking hypothetically, of course, someone could be funded for investigating, and the investigation could be extended as long as 'witness statements' were provided.

Given the billing rates of private investigators, and the cost in some countries of signing off to, basically, just saying that they had seen someone who basically looked like someone who is, perhaps tall, perhaps healthy, perhaps fair, perhaps (etc.) -- it would really not be that hard to generate even a thousand witness statements in the areas she has been purported to be.

Nobody here can say that they've read an official statement to confirm any of these sightings. This makes me sad on a couple of counts. First, I wish that Amy was still alive (but I have read nothing that could convince me of that). Second, and just my opinion, I think that there are some folks who have exploited the Bradley family, and perhaps exploited the FBI, who have gone out on fishing expeditions to find people who would sign off on saying that they have seen someone who resembles Amy. That there are supposedly more than 100 people to have seen her pretty much seals this for me.

As much as I'd like to write something here to sum up what I've already written, all I can say is "Poor Amy." When I was in graduate school I used to tutor people who had some things in common with her. I can't claim to know Amy, or for that matter, those who I tutored, but I did get to know people who would seem to have things in common with her, and so I have a bond. All premature deaths are painful, but this one hurts me too, and while I have an open mind, I still don't think that anyone else is directly responsible here.

Montjoy, I've been thinking today about her parents and wondering how old they are now. I assume once one or both of them have passed, Amy's case will fade away...

As an aside, I found this: the water in Aruba was described by her family as "freezing": (bold mine)

"Once back in civilization, the Bradleys had lunch at a Taco Bell and then drove to Palm Beach where Iva, Ron and Brad swam in the ocean, calling to Amy, laughing, "Come on in, the water's freezing!" Amy clung to her dad's back in the water for a while, then got out. A certified life guard, she swam in her neighborhood association from the time she was 5 until she was 18. She was an assistant to the swim-team coach at Longwood and coached her aunt's neighborhood association, but she wasn't crazy about swimming in the ocean. Mainly, she was afraid of what else might be swimming in it."

It also sounds like her brother Brad is the one who left the sliding glass door ajar:

"Finally, Brad opened the patio door and rolled into the sofa bed he was sharing with Amy during the trip. She stayed behind on the balcony.

At about 5:30 a.m., Ron awoke and saw Amy's legs on the lounge chair on the balcony. Thinking she had fallen asleep, he went back to sleep."

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/part-ii/Content?oid=1390780

Who here has not checked out the family's website for Amy, and not guessed that, at the least, they have lost some hope? Forgive me for offering something only as speculation here, but as I believe pure speculation is allowed, I would suggest that Amy's family has been told by some authorities that they believe that she is dead, and that her case has been effectively closed.

Yes, I know that it has been alleged that there are numerous witnesses of her being alive after that fateful night. But I also know how private investigation works. Speaking hypothetically, of course, someone could be funded for investigating, and the investigation could be extended as long as 'witness statements' were provided.

Given the billing rates of private investigators, and the cost in some countries of signing off to, basically, just saying that they had seen someone who basically looked like someone who is, perhaps tall, perhaps healthy, perhaps fair, perhaps (etc.) -- it would really not be that hard to generate even a thousand witness statements in the areas she has been purported to be.

Nobody here can say that they've read an official statement to confirm any of these sightings. This makes me sad on a couple of counts. First, I wish that Amy was still alive (but I have read nothing that could convince me of that). Second, and just my opinion, I think that there are some folks who have exploited the Bradley family, and perhaps exploited the FBI, who have gone out on fishing expeditions to find people who would sign off on saying that they have seen someone who resembles Amy. That there are supposedly more than 100 people to have seen her pretty much seals this for me.

As much as I'd like to write something here to sum up what I've already written, all I can say is "Poor Amy." When I was in graduate school I used to tutor people who had some things in common with her. I can't claim to know Amy, or for that matter, those who I tutored, but I did get to know people who would seem to have things in common with her, and so I have a bond. All premature deaths are painful, but this one hurts me too, and while I have an open mind, I still don't think that anyone else is directly responsible here.

I just looked at amy's website, but I don't see any implication the family has lost hope

Montjoy, I've been thinking today about her parents and wondering how old they are now. I assume once one or both of them have passed, Amy's case will fade away...

As an aside, I found this: the water in Aruba was described by her family as "freezing": (bold mine)

"Once back in civilization, the Bradleys had lunch at a Taco Bell and then drove to Palm Beach where Iva, Ron and Brad swam in the ocean, calling to Amy, laughing, "Come on in, the water's freezing!" Amy clung to her dad's back in the water for a while, then got out. A certified life guard, she swam in her neighborhood association from the time she was 5 until she was 18. She was an assistant to the swim-team coach at Longwood and coached her aunt's neighborhood association, but she wasn't crazy about swimming in the ocean. Mainly, she was afraid of what else might be swimming in it."

It also sounds like her brother Brad is the one who left the sliding glass door ajar:

"Finally, Brad opened the patio door and rolled into the sofa bed he was sharing with Amy during the trip. She stayed behind on the balcony.

At about 5:30 a.m., Ron awoke and saw Amy's legs on the lounge chair on the balcony. Thinking she had fallen asleep, he went back to sleep."

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/part-ii/Content?oid=1390780

The average water temperature in Aruba in March is 80 degrees F, which her family described as FREEZING.
http://www.weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-water-Temperature-fahrenheit,Aruba,Aruba

The average water temperature in Curaçao in March is 79 degrees F.
http://www.weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine-fahrenheit,Curacao,Netherlands-Antilles

Therefore, we know the water temperature around Curaçao at the time Amy went missing was FREEZING

Hiandmighty ... your link provided only goes to a search page where information must be entered. Please advise what search fields and terms you used so we can find the record and read the whole document. Thanks !!

(for example, the Case Number field has somethinglike "___ R ____", but the Case Number on the copy you provided doesn't have the R in it, so how would one enter that Case Number? No matter what I enter, I get "Invalid Sequence"). IIRC, there were something like 125 court docs, but I haven't had any luck coming up with any of them :confused:

I just looked at amy's website, but I don't see any implication the family has lost hope

Well, perhaps I have missed it, but do you know when they have last asked for help? I really hate to ask this, as it is both possible and reasonable that they have decided to mourn rather than search; and if I am right, could I ask why you want to (forgive the expression) stir the grave?

Hiandmighty ... your link provided only goes to a search page where information must be entered. Please advise what search fields and terms you used so we can find the record and read the whole document. Thanks !!

(for example, the Case Number field has somethinglike "___ R ____", but the Case Number on the copy you provided doesn't have the R in it, so how would one enter that Case Number? No matter what I enter, I get "Invalid Sequence"). IIRC, there were something like 125 court docs, but I haven't had any luck coming up with any of them :confused:

I found a work around. Try using the Recording Book/Page search option and search for the following--
Recording Book/Page: 19503/1128
Book Type: OR

You should get 6 results. Though I still can't help with the confusion, as the CFN listed for those results is 2001 R 1950311 and the second text box in the CFN search has a maximum input of 7 characters. I'm going to play around with the site some more, so I'll update you if I figure anything out.

Thanks jns. I finally got results by using Party Name as Bradley, Ronald and under the Document Type dropdown, selecting Civil Documents (CVP).

This is how I view all the sightings. I'm a people watcher and have played a game with myself to notice a person then try to remember them later. A week later, a day later, a month later. I can't. And that's me specifically noticing. I just don't put much stock into sightings.

For instance, several weeks ago there was a woman in the produce section at the grocery store wearing a very revealing top and drawing a lot of attention to herself. I watched her in amusement (and all the bored husbands watching her as well, lol) for a long time. But all I remember are vague details such as her being blond and my height and her top was patterned.

FWIW, I came across some interesting research concerning genetics and the ability to recognize and remember faces. I guess there's something to it after all when someone claims they "never forget a face". :)

http://www.sci-news.com/genetics/science-oxytocin-receptor-gene-face-recognition-01647.html

Oxytocin Receptor Gene Influences Face Recognition, Study Shows

:snipped:
Senior author Dr Larry Young of Emory University and his colleagues point out the implication that oxytocin plays an important role in promoting our ability to recognize one another, yet about one-third of the population possesses only the genetic variant that negatively impacts that ability.
“This finding may help explain why a few people remember almost everyone they have met while others have difficulty recognizing members of their own family,” Dr Young said.

Does anyone know what AFV stands for? I feel like I missed some posts or something. TIA

FWIW I'm not sold on the FARC theory but it was an interesting angle brought up by another member a while ago. Harrowing even to think of it.

Does anyone know what AFV stands for? I feel like I missed some posts or something. TIA

FWIW I'm not sold on the FARC theory but it was an interesting angle brought up by another member a while ago. Harrowing even to think of it.

The original poster later explained it was supposed to be AAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
primelectrics