Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem 245UFVA, ~60, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the main reason this case isn't complete is because there was not a ton of media reports on it in the area. I have lived next to the cemetery since the mid 80's and only found out about this case a few years ago while looking at FFX Co PD's cold case info on their site. Assuming that this cemetery has always been ethnic is a big mistake (I have seen a lot of people saying that is is hispanic or african american). Currently it is primarily funerals for African Americans and I have never seen a funeral for anyone who is hispanic at the cemetery. It used to have a lot of Caucasians but as the ethnic diversity in the area changed so did it's clientele. Yes, it was once owned by a hispanic company but that was for maybe about a year then it went under new management again. There are also a lot of firefighter's, EMT's and Police Officer's who have been buried there over the years (their funerals are hard to miss with all the trucks being brought out for them).

If I had to guess her ethnicity by just looking at the picture I would have to say she is German or from somewhere in Europe. I do hope that this case gets resolved soon as I would be surprised if there wasn't someone out there looking for her. If I'm correct the manager of the cemetery at that time passed away recently and I'm not sure if her husband is still around or not (he was not doing too good the last time I saw him a few years ago, he was the maintenance guy at the cemetery until the mid-late 90's). I'm not sure where the baby section is at the cemetery but would have to assume it's towards the back as during that time they had someone living at the cemetery to keep an eye on the place at night due to kids going back there to party and get drunk.

I wouldn't say the UID was poor, more likely she gave away her belongings and money prior to her suicide. I'd go with the "being a nurse" suggestion. I reckon she worked as a children's nurse or midwife earlier in her life. For me it explains why she'd want to die there but then again it's pure speculation.

The degree of planning that has gone into this suicide puts it on a par with Lyle Stevik. This poor woman, whether she aimed to or not, has left us with quite a mystery to remember her by.

I wouldn't say the UID was poor, more likely she gave away her belongings and money prior to her suicide. I'd go with the "being a nurse" suggestion. I reckon she worked as a children's nurse or midwife earlier in her life. For me it explains why she'd want to die there but then again it's pure speculation.

The degree of planning that has gone into this suicide puts it on a par with Lyle Stevik. This poor woman, whether she aimed to or not, has left us with quite a mystery to remember her by.

I wish they would have a TV series based on all these stories! I think about this case. How sad that no one can find out who she is!!

I was looking through doenet trying to find a match for a different doe, and was reminded of the Annandale Jane Doe when I saw a photo of Magdelena Chindris. She went missing from Italy about a year and a half prior to Ms Doe being found. She too had attempted suicide, but her attempt is thought to have been unsuccessful.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1770dfita.html

MChindris.jpg

They height and age are right. Hair is very close. I think the ears and dmouth are very similar. Nothing about a scar or glasses for Chindris.

MChindris.jpg

They height and age are right. Hair is very close. I think the ears and dmouth are very similar. Nothing about a scar or glasses for Chindris.

They do look similar....are you going to submit as a potential match?

P

Has anyone mentioned where she got the Brandy from?

There is a shopping center not far from that memorial park -- maybe 5-10 miles. The shopping center had a Loehmann's (in fact the center is called Loehmann's Plaza, it's in Falls Church). There is a Giant brand grocery store down the street from LP, which is probably where she got the juice from as earlier stated. Last, there is an ABC store up the road where Bailey's Crossroads is. Actually, there was also a grocery store (that has since been closed down though I don't think it was a Giant.. I think it was a Super Fresh) there a LONG time ago and a upper-end off-rack clothing store, too., that may or may not still be there.

So, our Annandale, VA JD must have been around that area or centralized to that area the day of or the day before her disappearance. There's a Guitar Center over there, too, and a HUGE Asian stripmall/super market. Annandale is known to have a high Asian population, and a high Hispanic population.

I'm gonna be honest, I think she chose the cemetery because it was a secluded spot, not heavily trafficked like everywhere else in northern VA, and maybe, if she was poetic, it was her way of "returning to whence she came"... you know, a time/life cycle symbolic thing.

Anyway, just my .02.

Oh, and there's a Nordstrom in Tyson's Corner Mall and has been for a LONG time. TCM is only about 5-10 minutes down 495 or Rt 7 (which would be more direct in her line of grocery store/abc store shopping trip).

Has anyone mentioned where she got the Brandy from?

There is a shopping center not far from that memorial park -- maybe 5-10 miles. The shopping center had a Loehmann's (in fact the center is called Loehmann's Plaza, it's in Falls Church). There is a Giant brand grocery store down the street from LP, which is probably where she got the juice from as earlier stated. Last, there is an ABC store up the road where Bailey's Crossroads is. Actually, there was also a grocery store (that has since been closed down though I don't think it was a Giant.. I think it was a Super Fresh) there a LONG time ago and a upper-end off-rack clothing store, too., that may or may not still be there.

So, our Annandale, VA JD must have been around that area or centralized to that area the day of or the day before her disappearance. There's a Guitar Center over there, too, and a HUGE Asian stripmall/super market. Annandale is known to have a high Asian population, and a high Hispanic population.

I'm gonna be honest, I think she chose the cemetery because it was a secluded spot, not heavily trafficked like everywhere else in northern VA, and maybe, if she was poetic, it was her way of "returning to whence she came"... you know, a time/life cycle symbolic thing.

Anyway, just my .02.

Oh, and there's a Nordstrom in Tyson's Corner Mall and has been for a LONG time. TCM is only about 5-10 minutes down 495 or Rt 7 (which would be more direct in her line of grocery store/abc store shopping trip).

BBM -- I agree with you one hundred percent. She had a Christmas tree and presumably her favorite comedy routines. Sipping brandy and listening to music. She did everything she could to make it as pleasant and painless as possible.

I keep not coming up with reasons why she'd want to check out of life. She seems to be a woman who had enjoyed it right up to the end. I wonder if her husband/partner had recently died and she felt like she couldn't go on without him?

MChindris.jpg

I don't see it. The one on the right -- her lips are a little too plump and nose too bulbous.

I understand the reconstruction of JD has a broader, flatter nose which may imply some sort of Hispanic (at some point) or African-American ancestry. But, as far as I can see she's white/Caucasian. If there's anything but white in her in dated way back in her line.

A nurse would know that suicide is against the law in every state (or was in 1996) and that the DNR would not be honored in the case of an attempted suicide. I don't believe her wearing the bracelet is necessarily linked to her suicide. If it was, why would it list a drug allergy? The drug allergy listing shows forward thinking, indicating it was not acquired while she was suicidal. A suicide attempt invalidates a DNR because a) it is a crime (or was at the time, I know some states are in the process of implementing doctor assisted suicide) and b) the patient is deemed to be not of sound mind so unable to make those decisions herself.

That being said, I think her being a nurse is entirely possible. A nurse friend of mine talked about all the suicides gone wrong she had treated and described this particular manner as the best way to go. Benzos, alcohol and a plastic bag... you just go to sleep.

I've been meaning to look this up for a while -- and it isn't true. *Assisted* suicide is illegal, but by early 1990's only two states still criminalized individual suicide attempts. Even before that, the laws were rarely enforced (see Wikipedia, Suicide legislation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It sounds like Virginia still criminalizes suicide, which can have some bearing on inheritance and liability.

It may have had some bearing on the location, however -- a place where she was unlikely to be found in time for any medical measures to be applied.

I don't think so, because Jane Doe is 4 inches shorter than the other lady.

Women past menopause can shrink this much over a few years if they have osteoporosis. I don't know whether that applies to either woman, but I thought I'd mention it for future searches.

I'm not sure how ABC laws were back in the day but I'd be willing to bet this woman was familiar with the area. Maybe she had family here at some point? You don't just plan a suicide like this without knowing the area, you know? You don't just make a shopping beeline and happen upon a graveyard. IMO she, like I stated earlier, stop in a straight line down rt 50 in Falls Church. ABC Store, Giant (for the juice and maybe a prescription refill pick up) and Loehmann's for the outfit. We'd better be able to tell WHEN she purchased the outfit she was wearing if we knew how faded the clothes were. Obviously newly bought clothes will still be bright and of good quality.

Now, I have NO clue what ID checking technology was like back in 1995 because I was only 12 then. But, maybe there is a list of ABC stores in Falls Church / Annandale somewhere from the mid-90s. She didn't find the brandy on a street corner -- she had to have purchased it. I know she's an older woman, but let's just hope for law's sake the clerk at the ABC store ID'ed her. I know NOW they scan and record every ID to every purchase... think they had something similar back then???

For those who don't know, brandy is only attainable through the ABC stores here. VA does not have stand alone liquor stores. All liquor sales are controlled by the state.

I've emailed VABC public relations to see if they can provide a list of stores near rt 50/rt 7 from 1995 - 1996. I'll let you know what I found out.

I'm not sure how ABC laws were back in the day but I'd be willing to bet this woman was familiar with the area. Maybe she had family here at some point? You don't just plan a suicide like this without knowing the area, you know? You don't just make a shopping beeline and happen upon a graveyard. IMO she, like I stated earlier, stop in a straight line down rt 50 in Falls Church. ABC Store, Giant (for the juice and maybe a prescription refill pick up) and Loehmann's for the outfit. We'd better be able to tell WHEN she purchased the outfit she was wearing if we knew how faded the clothes were. Obviously newly bought clothes will still be bright and of good quality.

Now, I have NO clue what ID checking technology was like back in 1995 because I was only 12 then. But, maybe there is a list of ABC stores in Falls Church / Annandale somewhere from the mid-90s. She didn't find the brandy on a street corner -- she had to have purchased it. I know she's an older woman, but let's just hope for law's sake the clerk at the ABC store ID'ed her. I know NOW they scan and record every ID to every purchase... think they had something similar back then???

For those who don't know, brandy is only attainable through the ABC stores here. VA does not have stand alone liquor stores. All liquor sales are controlled by the state.

That's a plausible scenario. I don't know about Virginia, but in New England she probably wouldn't have even had to show an ID. There was a lot of personal freedom to move around and not have every move monitored back then.

As carefully as she planned everything, I imagine she picked out a favorite outfit -- or bought it a day or two before. Am I remembering correctly that you said there's a Nordstrom's nearby?

That's a plausible scenario. I don't know about Virginia, but in New England she probably wouldn't have even had to show an ID. There was a lot of personal freedom to move around and not have every move monitored back then.

As carefully as she planned everything, I imagine she picked out a favorite outfit -- or bought it a day or two before. Am I remembering correctly that you said there's a Nordstrom's nearby?

14nlhep.jpg

From the top:

1.) Tysons Corner (that has a Nordstrom's)
2.) Giant (brand) Grocery Store
3.) Loehmann's Plaza (Loehmann's sells out of season top-designer names at discount prices)
4.) ABC store (current day) down at the bottom near rt 620

The marker "A" is the memorial garden.

Actually, present day there stands both an ABC store AND a Giant at the very bottom purple circle.... I'm not sure if it was there in 1996 though.

I apologize if this has already been posted, but do you think there is any relevance to her laying down next to where the infants were buried? Do you think it's possible that she may have lost an infant? Just putting it out there - not sure there is any relevance, but wondering if there might be???

I also wonder too that if she has gone through the trouble of trying not to have people identify her if her hair color/cut may have been altered in an attempt to throw people off as well...

14nlhep.jpg

From the top:

1.) Tysons Corner (that has a Nordstrom's)
2.) Giant (brand) Grocery Store
3.) Loehmann's Plaza (Loehmann's sells out of season top-designer names at discount prices)
4.) ABC store (current day) down at the bottom near rt 620

The marker "A" is the memorial garden.

Thank you, that makes everything much clearer.

I asked about Nordstrom because she's wearing Classiques Entier, which is a Nordstrom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor