Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem 245UFVA, ~60, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any religions which would prohibit resuscitation? I kept thinking of DNR orders in the case of terminal illness, but then I wondered if maybe her religion prohibits efforts to resuscitate under any circumstances. So you would wear the bracelet even though you weren't expecting to die soon in order to make your wishes known. Having DNR and penicillin allergy on the same bracelet is odd. If you are terminal and do not want any efforts made to save you, why list a drug allergy?
I can see the possibility of this being Judy, especially a few years older and weighing less. It appears Judy's ears are pierced in her photos and the UID is wearing clip-ons. Do we know if her ears were pierced also? Some women will still wear a nice pair of vintage clip-ons even if they have pierced ears, but I personally wouldn't as they are uncomfortable.

Do not resuscitate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was curious as to what "No Code" stood for. Now I know.

I wish there was some way to research jewelry from the mid 90s and how readily available it was. I wonder where you could buy it back then... this may give us some insight.

"no code
Etymology: AS, na, not; L, caudex, book
a note written in the patient record and signed by a qualified, usually senior or attending physician instructing the staff of the institution not to attempt to resuscitate a particular patient in the event of cardiac or respiratory failure. This instruction is usually given only when a patient is so gravely ill that death is imminent and inevitable. Also used is DNR ("do not resuscitate)." See also code, def. 5." (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/no+code)

http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts...lexMember-Show_Public_HFFY_1126649946755.html

"Who can have an Out of Hospital DNR bracelet?

By law, you can choose to wear a DNR bracelet if:
You are an adult (18 years or older).
You have a terminal disease.
You and your doctor decide that CPR would not work in your case.
You and your doctor decide that the pain and suffering of resuscitation/CPR would be greater than the benefits.

How do you get an Out of Hospital DNR bracelet?

Talk with your doctor, nurse or social worker. They will get you information you need to make the decision. You and your doctor will need to sign a form which allows the DNR order to take effect. You will then receive a bracelet which you must wear at all times. "

"7. HOW LONG IS A SPECIAL DNR ORDER VALID?
The order is valid for only one year after it is issued. If a patient still wants the order to continue after a year has passed the attending physician must issue a new one.
8. HOW WILL THE EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES KNOW IF I HAVE A SPECIAL DNR ORDER?
The EMS personnel are instructed to look for special Do Not Resuscitate orders in specific designated places such as the back of the patient's bedroom door, in the patient's wallet, on the refrigerator, and on the patient's bedside table.
Also, the EMS personnel will look to see if you are wearing a valid bracelet issued by your doctor. If the EMS personnel find a valid order or see that you are wearing a valid bracelet they will not attempt to revive you if your heart stops or you stop breathing.
However, if there is no order form or bracelet the EMS must start CPR in order to revive you."

"11. WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT SPECIAL DNR ORDERS?
Since only physicians are authorized to issues special DNR orders, you should talk to your attending physician if you want more information or think you may need a special DNR order."

www.lsnv.org/_literature.../Do_Not_Resuscitate_Orders_-_English

Also see this for info on how to obtain a DNR bracelet: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OEMS/Files_page/DDNR/HowToOrderDDNRBracelets_Necklaces.pdf

". Fortunately, DNR identification jewelry can be obtained through the non-profit 45-year-old MedicAlert Foundation. Once you have filled out your DNR document, you send MedicAlert the last sheet of your DNR. For a small fee, you can join MedicAlert. Then they will inform you about the choice of necklace or bracelet that clearly states your wishes to Do Not Resuscitate. In some states, this jewelry and/or official papers (which you might not have on your person) are the ONLY methods honored by emergency medics. If such a notification is not present, you WILL be resuscitated - meaning you will be denied your paradise. "

http://near-death.com/experiences/suicide10.html

All this DNR info seems to me that she obtained that bracelet from someone else or was involved in the medical field. I don't think you could just walk into a store in the 90s and buy a DNR/NC/NP bracelet.

OK apparently during the 90s you could get allergy bracelets but most states' EMS workers for the most part could only honor valid/authorized DNR bracelets and all of them should have come with personal info. I think I'll research state DNR laws from the mid 90s -- that could be our key as to which state she was from.. you know, if she lived in a state where DNR bracelets could be worn and honored WITHOUT a legal contract.

I'm literally the only person who posts in this thread -_-; sorry guys...

Anyway, a friend over on another site suggested maybe this woman was a lit teacher. The death note she typed up is said, by my friend, to be similar to a Wordsworth poem entitled "INTIMATIONS OF IMMORTALITY FROM RECOLLECTIONS OF EARLY CHILDHOOD". (http://www.bartleby.com/145/ww331.html)

Also, my friend suggested our JD may have referred to the book "Let Me Die Before I Wake" (Let Me Die Before I Wake: Hemlock's Book of Self-Deliverance for the Dying: Derek Humphry: 9780960603008: Amazon.com: Books)

Just two interesting suggestions :)

Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-Deliverance and Assisted Suicide for the Dying,3rd Edition: Derek Humphry: 9780385336536: Amazon.com

Another one of the authors works originally written in 1992, more of a how to manual about how to kill yourself. Parallels a lot of the stuff our JD did (bag over head, drugs, "by my own hand," leave money for funerary costs)

I've always cared about this lady too. She must've felt like life had no meaning or purpose for her anymore. But surely there is someone who misses her, or could at least recognize her. I kind of feel she wasn't from the area, just because her picture was in the local media for a while, and I would think *someone* would have seen it -- a cashier at the grocery store, a hair dresser, a dry cleaner employee, a restaurant worker, a dept. store employee, a neighbor/co worker/bus driver/manicurist/doctor/lawyer/repair person.....but then, I think about "Mall Man" who went unidentified for years -- and his family members who lived in the next county over never saw his picture in the paper...

I feel like this lady knew she would not be recognized in that cemetary in Annandale, VA. She wanted to just disappear, possibly thinking it wouldn't matter to anyone. Oh how I hope she was wrong.

Yeah see that's the thing -- this woman's story comes and goes every 5 years, and it's only covered on the news... for a couple minutes (ie; easily missed)...

I'd be interested to see excerpts from the Final Exit that she may have modeled her suicide off of. I'd get a copy but it could be a trigger for me.

It would be good to know if it was sold in all stores, in book stores, in specific regions of the US, if it was banned anywhere, etc.

It might have been banned in a couple of places, but it was generally available. Also, the information in it was widely discussed and it was pretty easy to find out about what it said without directly reading the book.

It would be interesting to know whether the DNR braclelet is discussed in the book.

I brushed off my copy of Final Exit, and it was as I remembered. She seems to have followed the steps outlined very closely.

I brushed off my copy of Final Exit, and it was as I remembered. She seems to have followed the steps outlined very closely.

Eep! Just when it comes to the pills, brandy and bag? Or does it mention a cemetery? Printed note? Comedy tapes? No receipts? DNR bracelets?

It might have been banned in a couple of places, but it was generally available. Also, the information in it was widely discussed and it was pretty easy to find out about what it said without directly reading the book.

It would be interesting to know whether the DNR braclelet is discussed in the book.

My copy is from 1991, I didn't see anything regarding DNR braclets, but it does mention having a living will with you at the time. There is a chapter devoted to the use of a bag. I don't want to go into any specifics, but she followed the steps in the book closely.
There is a "sample" note which mentions something like a DNR. It goes something like this: If you find me and I'm still breathing, I forbid anyone to attempt to revive me. I'll sue you if you do.

Jeez just seeing a diagram of the suicide bag brought tears to my eyes.. :(

Now I'm beginning to think maybe JG isn't our JD.

I wonder if they list the brand of watch she was wearing... Maybe we could single out the region by what retailers sold that specific brand?

Jeez just seeing a diagram of the suicide bag brought tears to my eyes.. :(

Now I'm beginning to think maybe JG isn't our JD.

I wonder if they list the brand of watch she was wearing... Maybe we could single out the region by what retailers sold that specific brand?

I believe it was a Guess watch.

I think this has been mentioned before but there's a lot of really good pics of the evidence found over on Porchlight.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=24550

And it was also stated on Porchlight that the Belgian woman (Haare?) was ruled out thanks to DNA (I never really saw the comparison anyway)

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=7074&st=0&

the link above is a link to pix (including ones not seen on any DOE website -- the user was able to get pix of the Jooza bottle, a scarf, the tape player, the med alert necklace)

Interesting, I hadn't heard about the small "fanny pack" before.

The REI backpack is almost certainly mail order; it's the kind of backpack popular among teens as a book bag.

That's not the kind of medical alert bracelet I was picturing.

As far as the backpack goes... If I remember correctly there was an outdoors store (if not an REI itself) in Fairfax near Vienna back in the early 90s. I remember taking a trip there with my dad when I was 8 or 9 (so 1991 or 92) and being all amazed at all the hiking/camping stuff. Anyway my point is, she may have obtained it at that store, which was only about 15-20 minutes away (driving) from PV. Seeing as how it was beat up she may have got it in the early nineties which means she may be from or familiar with this area. But that's why it's so baffling to me -- if she was familiar why doesn't anyone know her???

I'm going to follow up with the lieutenant who oversees the cold case dept in FFx co next week (he gets back Tuesday). When I spoke to the operators at the station they said they had never heard of the case. Maybe it would be easy for a familiar to overlook this, you know?

Oh and there is a Disney store at Tyson's (where there is a Nordstrom too). Pretty much always has been if I remember correctly. It's possible she picked it up with the clothes. Despite the tape and pin it looks new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487