Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem 245UFVA, ~60, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it maybe isn't particularly likely (although unlikely things do happen sometimes) but it is possibly far more likely than someone going missing nowadays and showing up as a suicide in 2035. Data management around issues of identity/employment/being financially active has got a lot more bullet proof.

Not yet. I came down with the flu :( and now on pins and needles waiting for first grandbaby :D who's due Monday.

Congrats on the first grandbaby!!!!!!!!! :loveyou:

Also, speedy recovery - take care of yourself dear!!

Hi Sleuths. I wanted to share what I have personally learned from making a few inquiries into this Jane Doe. Some of you may know that I strongly believe this Jane Doe to be Shirley Leona Sprang. I still do believe that. I realize that others do not and that's fine, but I do want to share a small bit of information that I have gathered, which I find quite perplexing, actually.

The following information exists in the history of this thread from previous mentions about Shirley, but I will briefly recap the relevant portion here for the sake of convenience, since it can be overwhelming to keep track of the many potential matches we discuss.

Documentation in Shirley Leona Sprang's Missing file states that she hailed a Taxi and left her home in Two Rivers, WI on June 16, 1990 after an argument with her mother. Her family never saw her or heard from her again, although for some unknown reason Law Enforcement in Lincoln, NE had some type of contact with her on Dec 19, 1996. This second date establishes that she was alive at least up until December of '96.

As you all know, that last date logically conflicts with the date of this Jane Doe's death. If both dates were correct it would mean that she committed suicide on December 18th, and the next day -- the day her body was found -- she communicated with Law enforcement in Lincoln, Nebraska. Absurd, of course.

It has been surmised that, if the two individuals are one and the same, perhaps one of these dates was entered incorrectly. And of course, that is entirely possible, as I'm sure most of us have seen such errors in other cases we have worked.

So, back sometime last year I contacted Lincoln, Nebraska PD and spoke with a very helpful officer. I inquired as to that documented contact with Shirley which was said to have occurred on Dec. 19 of '96. Did they have any record of that? And if so, what type of contact was it? The officer checked their system, which had all records computerized and going back as far as at least 1980. There was no record of any contact with a Shirley Sprang in 1990. There was never ANY record of a Shirley Sprang in their system at all. If they had had ANY contact with her they would have had her name, birthdate, and address on file...even if she was just driving through.

The documentation in Shirley's missing file noted a contact with "Law Enforcement" in Lincoln, NE. Law Enforcement is a somewhat general term, as it could apply to the Sheriff's office, Drug Enforcement, even the FBI. However, one would usually associate it with the police Department. So, at least, I feel fairly comfortable in ruling out the Lincoln PD. If I remember correctly, when I spoke with the Detective in WI, he didn't know who they meant by "Law Enforcement" either. I never did check with the Sheriff's office, though. But wouldn't the police and Sheriff have access to the same records? And document into the same file?

Say I got arrested by the police in Lincoln, NE. If I later got pulled over by a Lincoln/Lancaster County Sheriff's Deputy and they called in my ID info, they wouldn't be left ignorant of my arrest, right? Does anybody here know how that works? I'm just trying to find a way to verify that documentation, which appears to be the ONLY thing that indicates that Shirley was even alive in 1996. If that documentation is in error then theoretically she could have left in that taxi in 1990 and committed suicide -- or was murdered -- that very night and her body has never been found. Obviously, were that the case, my ID of her as being this Jane Doe would be entirely incorrect. I don't believe that's the case really but those of us who connected SS with this Jane Doe did so BECAUSE of that Lincoln NE contact date...by noticing that it was only one day off from Annandale Doe's date of death.

Okay, and to add to the mystery of Shirley Sprang: I found one of her nephews on Facebook (again, last year) and inquired as to his Aunt's status. I didn't say anything about her having gone missing. And neither did he. His response was that she died a long time ago. At some point she was reported missing, and the detective working her case still believes that to be true. So why would the nephew know that she was dead if the rest of the world still thinks she's missing?

She absolutely looks like a Shirley, that's for sure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, back sometime last year I contacted Lincoln, Nebraska PD and spoke with a very helpful officer. I inquired as to that documented contact with Shirley which was said to have occurred on Dec. 19 of '96. Did they have any record of that? And if so, what type of contact was it? The officer checked their system, which had all records computerized and going back as far as at least 1980. There was no record of any contact with a Shirley Sprang in 1990. There was never ANY record of a Shirley Sprang in their system at all. If they had had ANY contact with her they would have had her name, birthdate, and address on file...even if she was just driving through.

The documentation in Shirley's missing file noted a contact with "Law Enforcement" in Lincoln, NE. Law Enforcement is a somewhat general term, as it could apply to the Sheriff's office, Drug Enforcement, even the FBI. However, one would usually associate it with the police Department. So, at least, I feel fairly comfortable in ruling out the Lincoln PD. If I remember correctly, when I spoke with the Detective in WI, he didn't know who they meant by "Law Enforcement" either. I never did check with the Sheriff's office, though. But wouldn't the police and Sheriff have access to the same records? And document into the same file?

Say I got arrested by the police in Lincoln, NE. If I later got pulled over by a Lincoln/Lancaster County Sheriff's Deputy and they called in my ID info, they wouldn't be left ignorant of my arrest, right? Does anybody here know how that works?
?

I would say that her mysterious "Law Enforcement Contact" from 12/19/1996 probably wasn't with Lincoln, NE Police, based upon your inquiries. It is likelier to be from NE State Troopers, County Sheriffs, FBI, Tribal Police, or any other LE agencies that operate in some form in Lincoln. I have heard of police officers investigating a missing person who is CURRENTLY INCARCERATED AT THEIR OWN JAIL. I know people who have been stopped by the police, and the officer didn't pull up warrants for those people issued by the same police force as the officer who pulled them over.
If that can happen, it's easy to assume that nearby agencies would not have data of her "contact."

Shirley has DNA completed and our Jane's profile says "Status: Samples submitted - Tests not complete"

I don't remember that being the case for her before but I haven't looked at this in a while.

Jane's last update to Namus was: Date last modified February 12, 2015 10:14

Lots of families of people who have been missing a long time with no contact and no activity on accounts etc. consider their loved one to be deceased. If the nephew was very young when she disappeared, he might not even be aware she was ever missing.

The thing I've always wondered about the LE contact was whether it was her, or just somebody using her ID.

Shirley has DNA completed and our Jane's profile says "Status: Samples submitted - Tests not complete"

I don't remember that being the case for her before but I haven't looked at this in a while.

Jane's last update to Namus was: Date last modified February 12, 2015 10:14

I'm getting so frustrated with NAMUS because ever since I had to change my password they stopped sending me updates. Anyone know how to fix this??

I'm getting so frustrated with NAMUS because ever since I had to change my password they stopped sending me updates. Anyone know how to fix this??

I get updates on some of the cases I follow in there but not on others so I'm not sure how all that works.

Good Morning everyone. I have been away as my search for my birth dad, my maternal birth grandfather, amongst other birth family took an amazing turn in a matter of two months. I have completed my search for all birth family that I had been searching for for many many years. With that being said, I have good news and bad news. I did find my Aunt Tina yesterday. Unfortunately only because she passed away 5 days ago. I found her in an obituary. The memorial is today. The bad news is that this poor Christmas Lady has not yet been identified. I thank you all so very much for all of the hours (and you all spent a tremendous amount of hours) that you dedicated to me with my search for my Aunt Tina as well as our search to identify this lady. I can now put away my piles of documents, etc. and have found closure; though it is not the closure that I was hoping for. I will continue to follow this thread and pray that our Christmas lady will finally be brought home to rest. Deb

Good Morning everyone. I have been away as my search for my birth dad, my maternal birth grandfather, amongst other birth family took an amazing turn in a matter of two months. I have completed my search for all birth family that I had been searching for for many many years. With that being said, I have good news and bad news. I did find my Aunt Tina yesterday. Unfortunately only because she passed away 5 days ago. I found her in an obituary. The memorial is today. The bad news is that this poor Christmas Lady has not yet been identified. I thank you all so very much for all of the hours (and you all spent a tremendous amount of hours) that you dedicated to me with my search for my Aunt Tina as well as our search to identify this lady. I can now put away my piles of documents, etc. and have found closure; though it is not the closure that I was hoping for. I will continue to follow this thread and pray that our Christmas lady will finally be brought home to rest. Deb

I'm so happy you have found answers Tina! You are apparently a great sleuther, so yes, please stay on the thread and help us find the identity of our beloved "Christmas Tree Lady". God Bless!

Deb,

I'm sorry that you didn't find your auntie before she passed, but am thankful that you now know her story. A similar thing happened when I helped my sister find her birth mother. Her birth mother abandoned her and her three sisters & brother. All these years later, she still says that knowing is more comforting than not knowing. I hope the same proves to be true for you.

Take care,
Melanie

Just throwing this out there. The fact that the medical bracelet reportedly said "no code" indicates to me, someone with a health care background, perhaps a nurse? Back 25 years ago, hospital patients who were what is more commonly referred to today as "do not resuscitate/DNR" were referred to as "no code." As an RN myself, I remember our patients kardexes (a type of summary file system on every patient that gave all of the particulars: demographics, diagnosis, doctor, meds, treatments, lab/diagnostic tests scheduled, diet, IV type and rate, etc) ...for quick reference at any time by any member of the healthcare team............those who were not to be resuscitated were marked in large print on their individual record, "No Code." That was the 'term' back then for DNR. I don't see too many lay people being familiar with this term/phrase.............particularly these days. And given her age, not really that old but her bracelet indicating DNR, that also says to me someone who had been on the 'giving side' (nurse) of health care and due to having seen many patients who were incapacitated, full care, unable to feed/clothe/toilet themselves/mobilize independently, would most definitely be opposed to receiving any kind of heroic life-saving efforts made should she ever be in a position to require them. Perhaps also she had a terminal illness of some sort.........maybe cancer, maybe something like recently diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's), or Huntingtons, or Parkinsons.......something that would surely cause a significant and rapid decline (remember this was 1996 so a lot of health treatments/technologies didn't exist for various chronic/terminal illnesses as they do today).......and she did not want to be a burden to anyone, to end up as a patient and completely dependent on others as time passed.

Just my 2 cents.

I thought the same thing when I read about the DNR on the medic alert bracelet - that the woman was terminally ill. Are the results of the autopsy report posted somewhere? The Doe Network site lists cause of death as suicide, but autopsy findings wouldn't necessarily be on the site, perhaps because of privacy issues. And the suggestion about the hair resembling that of a cancer patient was interesting - very observant! Then again, the suggestion about the medic alert bracelet (or was it a necklace?) being a deceased loved ones' is valid also. I also thought that maybe she made sure to wear it (if it was hers) in case she was found before she died, to ensure that she was not saved with heroic measures.

I recently came across Marilyn Waltz's profile and was instantly reminded of this UID case. So glad to see carbuff and others here saw the strikingly interesting comparisons, too.

Again, I firmly believe this woman is someone with a health care background........like an RN or Respiratory Therapist, maybe even a physician...........the use of "no code" is a phrase that only those with a longstanding history working in a health care setting would know. Nowadays it's referred to as "DNR" but back 25+ years ago, the expression used to describe a patient who did not wish to be resuscitated was "no code."

I sent email to submit Marilyn but didn't get a response -- I'm not sure I had the right address. If somebody who does telephones wants to call her in, that would be great.

Marilyn Waltz and this UID are both in NamUS. Both have dentals, which can be instantly checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes