Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem ~60, 245UFVA, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96 #2 - Joyce Meyer Sommers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She may have simply been returning to a general location -- Annandale, Virginia -- she knew favorably in her youth on her way out, if she knew her life was ending. When she was growing up it would have been more agricultural and less busy.

In 1996, it was much easier to die and not leave a trail for anyone to follow.

As others have speculated, she may have not had family, or her family may not have wanted her, or she didn't want them. If life had been empty for her, money but no relationships of credible depth and value, she may have returned to a place where she was wanted at another time.

There is a sorrow in this story.

This lady left her earthly life with humor, style, and dignity. I feel love for her, and I wish I'd known her.

Agree. What a heart warming, lovely, gentle, educated, quiet and funny lady she must have been.

And that hurts me even more, someone must be missing her. But maybe she was alone, no children and no husband or estranged from a child she may have had. And no close friends and relatives. Tragic, lonely and sad.

Several cases being solved via social media lately, maybe it would be worthwile if someone would make a podcast/documentary/social media site about her to spread awareness and heighten the chance someone may remember and miss her...

Hi, I'm new here. I live about 10 miles from the cemetery and just heard about this case through a neighborhood FB post on the 24th anniversary last month. What a terribly sad and mysterious situation. I am so impressed by all the diligence and determination you've all expressed on this thread.

I had a couple thoughts as I read through Thread 1 and I can hopefully clarify some of the questions about the area. I've lived in the greater DC area since college in the early 1990s.

First, Nordstrom and REI are Seattle-based companies and were not common brands here in 1996, the only REI in this area at that time would have been a small store in South Arlington that typically drew only serious campers and hikers. I doubt she bought the backpack in this area, I feel this suggests that she could have been from the Western side of the U.S.

That said, JD had to have had firsthand knowledge of the Pleasant Valley cemetery. This section of Annandale is quite an unremarkable, nondescript, quiet suburban area, the strip of Little River Turnpike (LRT) is a divided four lane highway, no businesses, no sidewalks. If you didn't live here the only reason you would be here would be to pass through or go to the Northern Va. Community College (NVCC) campus, which is right across the street but set far back from the road. There are many cemeteries in the area, some larger or more historic, what I believe was the appeal is that PV has no lights at night but has a caretaker. There is a bus stop and crosswalk at a stop light on LRT for NVCC just a few yards from the area opposite the cemetery's main gates. (Search the satellite images on Google maps to see how it appears from the highway.)

Consider the date: Dec. 17. This is the week of winter solstice, it would have been dark by 5 p.m. here. Also, NVCC should have completed its fall semester and what normally would have been a busy bus stop would have been quiet.

So, I theorize that she planned her trip carefully by taking the bus (walking on LRT would have been very dangerous and she likely would have been noticed by many passing cars). If you look at the Google image of the cemetery, there is a narrow access road between it and LRT, the caretaker office is on the left, the mausoleum is on the right, close to the road but partially hidden by trees and a power substation that is surrounded by a fence. JD could have disembarked the bus at NVCC, crossed the road and walked a few feet past the fenced area, crossed the access road and easily entered the cemetery on the right side opposite the office, totally unnoticed in the dark. She made her resting place by the mausoleum and infant area, that might have been because she did not bring a flashlight that would have been noticed and it was too dark to go much further, also deer, foxes, etc. hang out in these areas. But she knew a caretaker would find her the next day.

Beyond that, it's all a wild guess. Perhaps she took a class at NVCC and noticed the cemetery or rode the bus through that area? Perhaps she listened to the other tapes while riding there? So much time has passed, I would be interested to know if the Fairfax PD could run the DNA through ancestry.com or other sites. But even if they miraculously found her name, we'd likely never learn her story. Maybe that's for the best... RIP dear JD.

I am sure this is not related, but I do find it interesting.

It hit me yesterday that The Annandale Jane Doe has quite a few similarities with an incident that happened earlier in 1996.

The members of the cult Heavens Gate all committed suicide in a manner that had some similarities with AJD.

1) The members of the cult mixed foods like apple sauce with heavy drugs, including valium which is also something AJD took.
2) The members of the cult had cash on them when they where found, as did AJD (though the cult had very specific amounts for each individual).
3)Alcohol was involved with both, Heavens Gate being vodka and AJD being brandy.
4) Possibly the biggest part; AJD and Heaves Gate members both killed themselves through suffocation by wrapping a plastic bag around their own head.

I HIGHLY doubt the AJD and Heavens Gate are related, I just find it interesting that both things too place in 1996.

I am sure this is not related, but I do find it interesting.

It hit me yesterday that The Annandale Jane Doe has quite a few similarities with an incident that happened earlier in 1996.

The members of the cult Heavens Gate all committed suicide in a manner that had some similarities with AJD.

1) The members of the cult mixed foods like apple sauce with heavy drugs, including valium which is also something AJD took.
2) The members of the cult had cash on them when they where found, as did AJD (though the cult had very specific amounts for each individual).
3)Alcohol was involved with both, Heavens Gate being vodka and AJD being brandy.
4) Possibly the biggest part; AJD and Heaves Gate members both killed themselves through suffocation by wrapping a plastic bag around their own head.

I HIGHLY doubt the AJD and Heavens Gate are related, I just find it interesting that both things too place in 1996.

The Heaven's Gate mass suicide occurred in March 1997. Annandale Jane Doe committed suicide in December 1996. A link between the Jane Doe and the cult is an intriguing thought, but there were also "suicide manuals" available that suggested using alcohol, drugs and plastic bags.

The Heaven's Gate mass suicide occurred in March 1997. Annandale Jane Doe committed suicide in December 1996. A link between the Jane Doe and the cult is an intriguing thought, but there were also "suicide manuals" available that suggested using alcohol, drugs and plastic bags.

Ahh touche'....I am not sure why I was so confident it was 1996, thanks for clarifying it was 1997.

I have also been looking a lot into Blair Adams that happened in 1996, which was a bizarre death that took place 10 days before the Olympic Games bombing in 1996. I think that's why I was stuck on 1996.

I didn't go any further into potential rabbit holes for AJD and Heavens Gate, as that seems like it would really be shooting over the bow to try and explain how certain items found with her may be related to it.

I'm with you on thinking its a coincidence.

Back in the earlier thread, there's quite a bit of research about the suicide manual she probably used.

Just read about this lady for the first time and it made me cry.

Such an organised and thoughtful lady. She made sure she had everything she needed: her comedy tapes, her plastic sheet, brandy, valium, bags and sticky tape.

Imagine packing that backpack knowing it was a trip you weren't ever coming back from.

No car discovered, so I'm supposing she got the bus there. That last journey must've been one of such sadness, yet determination.

I had a look on google earth at the cemetery and it looks like a beautifully lawned peaceful place.

RIP. I wish life had turned out better for you.

Just read about this lady for the first time and it made me cry.

Such an organised and thoughtful lady. She made sure she had everything she needed: her comedy tapes, her plastic sheet, brandy, valium, bags and sticky tape.

Imagine packing that backpack knowing it was a trip you weren't ever coming back from.

No car discovered, so I'm supposing she got the bus there. That last journey must've been one of such sadness, yet determination.

I had a look on google earth at the cemetery and it looks like a beautifully lawned peaceful place.

RIP. I wish life had turned out better for you.

Trace Evidence Podcast does a lovely episode covering her.

So, I am sure this has nothing do with our unidentified lady, but I did find this interesting:

"Melissa was last seen during a Christmas party held at her apartment complex in Fairfax, Virginia."

This happened in 1989, on December 3rd, and the girl was 5 years old at the time.

Although highly doubtful, it makes me wonder if The Christmas Tree Lady knew her, and felt fully, slightly, or indirectly involved in what happened to her.

After all, there was a damaged children's Minnie Mouse fanny pack at the spot her body was found (though there is no mention of that on the missing girl's NAMUS)

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:
Who are you sweetness.....I know...you covered up your identity pretty good...if you could only know how many people care for you. Rest in peace my red headed lady (the nickname I gave you)....still a dilemma...should we respect your wishes...and let go....or.....so hard to decide....

So, I am sure this has nothing do with our unidentified lady, but I did find this interesting:

"Melissa was last seen during a Christmas party held at her apartment complex in Fairfax, Virginia."

This happened in 1989, on December 3rd, and the girl was 5 years old at the time.

Although highly doubtful, it makes me wonder if The Christmas Tree Lady knew her, and felt fully, slightly, or indirectly involved in what happened to her.

After all, there was a damaged children's Minnie Mouse fanny pack at the spot her body was found (though there is no mention of that on the missing girl's NAMUS)

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

BBM

Perhaps connected to CDH, the man who was convicted of MLB's abduction. MOO JOO

Could she be Cora Andersen? Sorry if she is already mentioned.
Cora Andersen – The Charley Project

cora_andersen_1.jpg

Missing from Alaska since 1979. She was born in 12/20/1927 and would have been 69 in 1996, her birthday coming up in two days (Jane Doe was found on the 18th) 5'0 like Jane Doe, red hair, wearing glasses. I couldn't find a genealogy trace (yet). I wanted to check if Cora had given birth (C-section on Jane Doe) If somebody else has more luck, let us please know.

This IUD has MANY rule outs in Namus, but Cora is not yet one of them!

Side note: both the IUD and Cora have gold jewelry with jade.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothieQuota
Back