GUILTY VA - Capt. Kevin Quick, 45, abducted & murdered, Afton, 31 Jan 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you! Why didn't I check there in addition to looking at the arrest warrant? Silly me. Though, I am still puzzled as to why the charges are listed at Class 1 felonies (capital murder) rather than a Class 2 felonies (first degree murder).

Kevin Quick was a police reservist. The murder of a police officer is a Class 1 Felony and a capital crime, making the death penalty an option. HTH

Kevin Quick was a police reservist. The murder of a police officer is a Class 1 Felony and a capital crime, making the death penalty an option. HTH

But see my post from earlier. The murder of a police officer is a capital crime, but only for principles in the first degree. So I'm still puzzled.

I spent some time looking at the charges to try and see whether I could get a better sense of what may have happened. The arrest warrants for all three suspects list three VA criminal statutes -- § 18.2-31 (capital murder), § 18.2-18 (principles in the second degree), and § 18.2-48 (abduction) -- so I took a closer look at those.

§ 18.2-18. How principals in second degree and accessories before the fact punished.

In the case of every felony, every principal in the second degree and every accessory before the fact may be indicted, tried, convicted and punished in all respects as if a principal in the first degree; provided, however, that except in the case of a killing for hire under the provisions of subdivision 2 of § 18.2-31 or a killing pursuant to the direction or order of one who is engaged in a continuing criminal enterprise under the provisions of subdivision 10 of § 18.2-31 or a killing pursuant to the direction or order of one who is engaged in the commission of or attempted commission of an act of terrorism under the provisions of subdivision 13 of § 18.2-31, an accessory before the fact or principal in the second degree to a capital murder shall be indicted, tried, convicted and punished as though the offense were murder in the first degree.

What I immediately noticed was that principles in the second degree to a capital murder should be charged with first degree murder instead of capital murder unless it fell within one of three exceptions. Here, the three suspects seem to be charged with § 18.2-31, which is capital murder, so it would seem that one of the exceptions must apply. Here are the three "types" of capital murder that are exceptions:

§ 18.2-31. Capital murder defined; punishment.

Subsection 2. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another for hire;
Subsection 10. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another pursuant to the direction or order of one who is engaged in a continuing criminal enterprise as defined in subsection I of § 18.2-248;
Subsection 13. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another in the commission of or attempted commission of an act of terrorism as defined in § 18.2-46.4;

Notably, the killing of a police officer (which would at first glance seem to be a reason for this case involving capital murder) is a type of capital murder that is not one of the exceptions:

Subsection 6. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of a law-enforcement officer as defined in § 9.1-101, a fire marshal appointed pursuant to § 27-30 or a deputy or an assistant fire marshal appointed pursuant to § 27-36, when such fire marshal or deputy or assistant fire marshal has police powers as set forth in §§ 27-34.2 and 27-34.2:1, an auxiliary police officer appointed or provided for pursuant to §§ 15.2-1731 and 15.2-1733, an auxiliary deputy sheriff appointed pursuant to § 15.2-1603, or any law-enforcement officer of another state or the United States having the power to arrest for a felony under the laws of such state or the United States, when such killing is for the purpose of interfering with the performance of his official duties;

Even stranger to me, the other VA statute listed in the arrest warrants was § 18.2-48, which deals with abductions. Which is listed as one basis for a capital murder charge (see below) - but only for the principle in the first degree, as it is also not one of the three exceptions.

Subsection 1. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person in the commission of abduction, as defined in § 18.2-48, when such abduction was committed with the intent to extort money or a pecuniary benefit or with the intent to defile the victim of such abduction;

(snipped)

Nbc29 just posted on facebook page that its been confirmed that the body is Kevin Quick.

This is a horrible crime for all involved. Also frightening to think about how random it was and it could really happen to any of us at any point during our normal day/routine.

I'm going to the candlelight vigil tonight. I expect it will be packed. This will be a way to properly honor Kevin.

The emotions are running high. There is so much anger right now because we now know how senseless this was. I have to believe that Kevin did in fact save someone else's life by sacrificing his.

Please continue to pray for his family and friends. There is not one person in our community that is not grieving for him.

To add insult to injury one of our classmates from Nelson passed away this morning. She had cancer so there was no violence with her death but our community is sad.

http://wtvr.com/2014/02/07/suspects-in-missing-police-captains-death-just-released-from-prison/

A CBS 6 investigation revealed that 31-year-old Anthony Stokes and 22-year-old Gert Wright, also known as Halisi Uhuru, were recently released from prison.
In fact, 31-year-old Anthony Stokes spent 12 years, nearly half of his life in prison for crimes he committed when he was just 19. He was convicted on possession of a weapon, robbery, kidnapping and use of a firearm charges.
Wright was just 16-years-old when he was sentenced to seven years in prison. He was convicted of a number of crimes, including robbery and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He was also convicted of participating in a gang.
Stokes was released from prison in October and Wright was released in December.

:goodpost:Great find, 2Hope4! Pretty telling, IMO..

It has been a horrible week for the law enforcement community...
I don't know if it's normal to lose so many officers in one week, but it sure seems like a lot.

DID GERT WRIGHT (AKA HALISI UHURU) KILL KEVIN QUICK FOR THIS TEENAGE ARREST?
Court records show that at age 14, Uhuru was arrested under the name Gert Arthur Wright, III. That arrest took place in Oct. 2005, in Waynesboro where Quick served as a reservist police captain.

Wright was arrested for robbery and use of a firearm in commission of a felony, according to Waynesboro court records.

An old article on the website for TV affiliate, WHSV, indicates that Wright and two others stole money, food and electronic games during an armed robbery in an alley near an elementary school.

Those charges were dismissed, according to Waynesboro court documents.

http://wtvr.com/2014/02/07/suspects-in-missing-police-captains-death-just-released-from-prison/

DID CAPTAIN QUICK ARREST THIS PUNK AS A TEEN??

I kind of doubt it. Captain Quick was a reservist, an unpaid volunteer with limited arrest powers.

Auxiliary police - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where I live (Ohio), Auxiliary Officers are actual police officers who work unpaid to keep up their certification (for example, some of our Auxiliary police work in security). They have to have so many hours of police work per month to keep up their certification. They have the same powers as any police officer in our jurisdiction.

jmo

eta: Did more research - guess it depends on the PD. In our community, the Auxiliary Officers are actual police officers.

Auxiliary police - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where I live (Ohio), Auxiliary Officers are actual police officers who work unpaid to keep up their certification (for example, some of our Auxiliary police work in security). They have to have so many hours of police work per month to keep up their certification. They have the same powers as any police officer in our jurisdiction.

jmo

eta: Did more research - guess it depends on the PD. In our community, the Auxiliary Officers are actual police officers.

I probably should have elaborated. My comment was based on the info that Captain Quick, until 3 weeks ago, had a full time management job at Invista, a local fibers company. Wright's, aka Uhuru's, earlier juvenile arrests sounded to me like something a regular detective would have been assigned to investigate.

In Virginia, auxiliary (reserve) police force members can act with all the powers of regular police, depending on what level of training they've received.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-1731

Just as a side note, Waynesboro is a fairly small town (about 21,000 people), with a pretty low crime rate. See page 106 of the FY14 City budget for crime incident counts:

http://www.waynesboro.va.us/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/47

DID GERT WRIGHT (AKA HALISI UHURU) KILL KEVIN QUICK FOR THIS TEENAGE ARREST?
Court records show that at age 14, Uhuru was arrested under the name Gert Arthur Wright, III. That arrest took place in Oct. 2005, in Waynesboro where Quick served as a reservist police captain.

Wright was arrested for robbery and use of a firearm in commission of a felony, according to Waynesboro court records.

An old article on the website for TV affiliate, WHSV, indicates that Wright and two others stole money, food and electronic games during an armed robbery in an alley near an elementary school.

Those charges were dismissed, according to Waynesboro court documents.

DID CAPTAIN QUICK ARREST THIS PUNK AS A TEEN??

From messina's link:

Just two years later, when Wright was 16, he was picked up again and charged with robbery after police said he pulled a pistol on a man at an ATM in Norfolk.

When police found Wright and his accomplices at a nearby hotel, they discovered gang-related paraphernalia, like red bandannas and a hat reading “NTG-Eastside.”

The “Nine Trey Gangstas” gang is associated with the criminal street gang, “Bloods.”

Wright told police in Norfolk he was a two star general in the gang and had been a member for four years.

You can see the word “Blood” tattooed onto his face in his current mugshot.

A fairly recent article about "Nine Trey Gangstas" in Virginia:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...06cd74-159d-11e3-be6e-dc6ae8a5b3a8_story.html

Prosecutors say the group moved prostitutes up and down the East Coast, sold drugs ranging from marijuana to prescription painkillers and even dabbled in the use of counterfeit currency.

Two gang members are accused of following another’s orders to slash a woman’s face from mouth to ear because she had stolen drug profits, and others allegedly were involved in a 2010 dispute that sparked a shooting, authorities said.

CHIT! That pdf makes me afraid to wear red or blue! Scary world we live in!!! I don't understand the purpose of gangs at all. Why would someone want to be apart of a group that you must kill in order stay in? Not me. I would fear for my life daily! If they'll kill someone else, they'll kill you! WHY put yourself in that situation???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregoryImmep
Back