GUILTY VA - Capt. Kevin Quick, 45, abducted & murdered, Afton, 31 Jan 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can confirm the following: He has been separated from his wife since 2007. His daughter is 4 months old and he is not involved with the mother romantically any longer. He was going to her apartment because the baby was sick and she requested help from him. I do not know why the media keeps saying girlfriend. She was not his girlfriend.

I have no idea why she did not contact someone to say that he never showed up. He is very involved with his daughter and him not showing up would have been very out of character for him.

Pardon me for asking, and I do so with respect, but how do you know this?
I am asking because I've not seen where you are a verified insider, and the information is not in msm, so I am reluctant to take a post to be truth without knowing why. I hope you understand.

I just can't believe this. He is a family friend and I have known him all of my life. He is a wonderful, gentle and kind man.

FYI-Turtle Creek Apartments are just a mile from UVA. The complex itself is not the greatest of places. There are shady people who hang out there. I feel like he may have been jumped in the parking lot. It would not surprise me one bit.

I just can't get over this. :(
Here's why she says this -

Now, I don't want anybody getting mad at me for what I'm about to say but, is there a possibilty he left on his own? Would he have taken the severance pay and left town? I'm just throwing this out there so I don't want anybody getting upset with me, but there have been people who thought the people they knew would never just skip town, but find out later they did. Could he have given his SUV to someone and said, "here, you can have this...I'm leaving town" and then they find out he's a police officer who has been reported missing. KQ just lost his dad and his job...maybe he didn't let his real feelings show. I hope he's ok.

Now, I don't want anybody getting mad at me for what I'm about to say but, is there a possibilty he left on his own? Would he have taken the severance pay and left town? I'm just throwing this out there so I don't want anybody getting upset with me, but there have been people who thought the people they knew would never just skip town, but find out later they did. Could he have given his SUV to someone and said, "here, you can have this...I'm leaving town" and then they find out he's a police officer who has been reported missing. KQ just lost his dad and his job...maybe he didn't let his real feelings show. I hope he's ok.

According to articles posted in this thread, the suspects were seen on video driving the vehicle. He would have to have 2 accomplices who drove the vehicle, try to use his CC. I don't think this was really the case. JMO

Not mad, but I doubt it. The pics released were from an ATM. Wouldn't they likely be able to track the person by whose card was used. Granted, it may or may not have had the pin code entered correctly, but the ATM still retains the information from the card that was swiped/inserted. etc. I would think they'd have released more information about that transaction if it were a stolen card, or a name if they knew the name, or...IDK...?

The search for a missing police reserve captain has shifted to a rural Virginia town where his car was spotted the day he was last seen, investigators said Wednesday.

Police were walking the area around Fork Union, an unincorporated town about 50 miles from the town where Kevin Quick was last seen Friday night, said Sgt. Brian Edwards, a Waynesboro police spokesman.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/05/justice/virginia-missing-police-captain/

Pardon me for asking, and I do so with respect, but how do you know this?
I am asking because I've not seen where you are a verified insider, and the information is not in msm, so I am reluctant to take a post to be truth without knowing why. I hope you understand.

BBM How do you become a verified insider? TIA

I'm having difficulties to figure out times in different time zones. Would 5 pm be in an hour?

I am just joining the discussion on this case. Perhaps someone who has knowledge of something can help me with a question. If someone has an outstanding severance pay (in whatever form that might have been given to that person-check, direct deposit, etc), if something happens to that person, would the next of kin get that money?

If it is to be 5pm Eastern Time, then it would be 4 central, 3 mountain and 2 pacific.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with US time zones, so I'm still not sure when the press conference will take place :blushing: But thanks for trying to clarify that for me :)
It would help me to know if it's in 1 hour or 2 hours etc. from the time of this post on (well now it would be of course in 50 mins, 1 hour and 50 mins etc.)

Sorry, I'm not familiar with US time zones, so I'm still not sure when the press conference will take place :blushing: But thanks for trying to clarify that for me :)
It would help me to know if it's in 1 hour or 2 hours etc. from the time of this post on (well now it would be of course in 50 mins, 1 hour and 50 mins etc.)

43 minutes, I believe.

Voluntary disappearance is one possibility that, IMO, should be at least considered in most missing person cases. However, I have had trouble seeing this case turning out that way. I usually take the family's "they'd never just skip town like this" assurances with a grain of salt and look for behavioral clues from the missing person themselves. In this case, the discussion of the birthday party in this article really struck me as important:

Quick had planned a big bash Saturday for his brother's 40th birthday -- hiring a DJ, hanging decorations and inviting friends and relatives to join in the fun. But the host never showed, prompting his family to start searching for him.

The morning of Friday, January 31, he'd taken his mother -- with whom he was living in Afton -- out to breakfast at a local Cracker Barrel. That meal was the last time Quick's credit card was used, according to Edwards.
He'd also spent that day prepping for his brother's surprise birthday celebration, including getting the venue and music in order.

Families often make mention of a birthday party or a holiday gathering, stating that the missing person would never miss the event in question. Often, I feel like I must take that with a grain of salt as well. But KQ's absence from this birthday party strikes me as much more significant. It doesn't sound like he was just expected to be in attendance, but that he was responsible for much of the logistics of the party. Even if the recent life events were enough for him to want to leave, I can't see him leaving before the party. Why go through the motions of arranging the party and decorating the day beforehand? Even if he had made reservations for a venue or DJ a few weeks ago (perhaps before he was laid off), the fact that he still decorated the day before his disappearance, IMO, seems like an indication that he wasn't planning to run off voluntarily.

I believe there was some discussion earlier in the thread about why only one of the men's photos had been released to the public. I overlooked the answer to first time I read this article, so pulling it out for anyone else who did the same.

State police did not release photos of the second man because they were blurry and his face was not visible, she said. Authorities also declined to share the surveillance images from Fork Union.

Though, I still think there is a decent possibility that LE does have a photo of the second man - perhaps from Fork Union - and is withholding that photo for one reason or another.

I am just joining the discussion on this case. Perhaps someone who has knowledge of something can help me with a question. If someone has an outstanding severance pay (in whatever form that might have been given to that person-check, direct deposit, etc), if something happens to that person, would the next of kin get that money?

While I am not entirely positive, I would think that any outstanding severance pay would be considered part of a decedent's estate and would be dispersed along with the other assets in the estate. Who would ultimately receive the severance pay would depend on the terms of a will, if present, or, if not, the intestate succession laws of VA.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HatsDom
Back