Identified! VA - Carroll Co., WhtMale, 4-7, UP99035, Winnie The Pooh Blanket, Sep'22 *Logan Nathaniel Bowman*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm surprised it took so long to find his remains when they were in an obvious trash can, not buried or partly buried or under leaves or something. It must not be a much traveled area even by hunters or something. Was the trash can closed? I'd assume so. I'm sure that helped preserve things and I suppose a closed trash can doesn't attract most people's curiosity although it is not as tough to open as a closed barrel..

Since he was found a few miles away, I'd assume there was no massive search for his remains. I know some cases get more attention than others, but still, that seems a missed opportunity, especially since the mother was convicted and there was no doubt he was deceased.

It's not the first case I've seen where the PMI was off. I'd assume the reason the PMI was said to be what it was is because he was well preserved and maybe because it would seem odd for a trash can with human remains in it to sit in the woods for years unnoticed?

Logan’s remains turned up last year in Galax in the woods off of Iron Ridge Road — something Carroll County Sheriff Kevin Kemp said he’s never seen before.

“These are very rare circumstances that do not happen very often, so we understand the importance and the rarity of this circumstance. So to say I’m not in shock with the outcome I think would be understating it a little bit,” Kemp said.

A man from out of town bought the property and noticed the remains in a trash bag.

“It was a day where I first thought, ‘What if these could be the remains of Logan Bowman?’” Kemp said.

Several months later, the company Othram got involved — a forensic genealogy company based in Texas.

That’s where Chief Development Officer Dr. Kristen Mittelman and her team took over.

“We used forensics genome sequencing on the boy’s remains that were found. And they were found decades later, so you can imagine how much degradation was there,” Mittelman said.

They hit a dead end until they turned to the specialized forensic technology group, Othram. The company is located out of Texas, they specializes in forensic-grade genome sequencing and forensic genetic genealogy.

"Our technology comes into play when you don't know who the person is, you don't have any leads, you're kind of stuck," the chief development officer for Othram, Dr. Kristen Mittelman said.

Mittelman, the chief development officer, said the Sheriff's Office came to them in July.

"This is just new technology that is able to bring new technology quickly to an investigation," Mittelman said. She said the company had identified a person from 1881, and they could go back further. They can also identify a perpetrator with only 15 cells. They can work with burnt, exploded, and chemically treated remains. She said the limits of the technology are almost non-existent.

The challenge with this case was that the remains were decades old, and contaminated by the temperature, bacteria, plant, and animal DNA, but it's something they're familiar with.

Dr. Mittelman said by extracting the DNA, building a profile, and using genealogy in September, they were able to help law enforcement identify the remains as Logan Bowman, the missing 5-year-old.

"We were able to see that this little boy belonged to these parents, we provided that lead back to law enforcement," Mittelman said.

Othram is located out of Texas and specializes in forensic-grade genome sequencing and forensic genetic genealogy. (Othram)

Othram is located out of Texas and specializes in forensic-grade genome sequencing and forensic genetic genealogy. (Othram) ❤️

359a8b48-48c6-47f7-87a0-1757574e2a2b-medium16x9_BOWMAN.PNG

After Othram gives law enforcement a lead, they confirm with standard forensic testing. She said the Carroll County Sheriff's office paid about $7,500 for the testing. "Now he has his name back, he can have a proper burial, he can actually get justice for what happened to him," Mittelman said.

"There was all this speculation, his father's been looking for him all of this time, heartbreak, hoping that he's maybe alive somewhere out there, and no one could get punished for murdering him because there was no body," she said

Last edited:
The agency sought help from Othram Inc., a private Texas-based forensic genetics company that “was able to develop a full DNA profile” for the remains. Othram used “two direct DNA comparisons of family members to identify the remains” as Bowman’s.

The sheriff’s office said Bowman went missing from Grayson County in January 2003. His biological mother, Cynthia Davis, and her then-boyfriend, Dennis Schermerhorn, were charged that year in connection with Logan’s disappearance.

The Roanoke Times reported in April 2004 that Davis had pleaded guilty to three felony charges, including two counts of child neglect and one count of murder. She was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The following June, Schermerhorn was sentenced to one year in jail on one felony count of simple child neglect. A judge dropped a murder charge and a neglect charge against him.
But the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday that their investigation is still ongoing, “with new charges anticipated.”

A man from out of town bought the property and noticed the remains in a trash bag.

“It was a day where I first thought, ‘What if these could be the remains of Logan Bowman?’” Kemp said.

Several months later, the company Othram got involved — a forensic genealogy company based in Texas.

I'm still confused as to how this all went down. The body was found, the sheriff thought it could be Logan, but the story seems to skip over what testing they did around that theory and how Logan was falsely ruled out. It says Othram tested Logan directly against family members, was that just not possible without Othram due to the state of the body? My theory would be that maybe the sheriff thought it was him but it was ruled out on the assumed timeframe of how long the remains were there.

His mother can't be charged with murder again but there are probably unlawful disposal of a body laws that she could be charged under?

RIP Logan. I hope this brings your dad some closure and you can finally be buried with dignity.

Could Ex-BF have his charges added back?
I'm not sure. He was charged with murder and neglect, but the judge dismissed those charges. I don't know enough about double jeopardy to know if that counts. My country doesn't have double jeopardy anymore just a (imo very sensible) system of 'if someone is going to stand trial again there must be sufficient new evidence'.

He never stood trial on those charges, but he was charged, I think? I don't know where that stands. The law states The Double Jeopardy Clause in the Fifth Amendment to the US Constitution prohibits anyone from being prosecuted twice for substantially the same crime. I guess it depends on what prosecuted means in this context. Either way, he could also potentially have new charges of unlawful disposal of a body/whatever the equivalent is in that state. If they have a way to prove he helped. It's possible Logan's mother could have disposed of Logan herself. Now that Logan has been found, maybe one or both of them will talk and it could bring new evidence to light.

5 years and a mouthful of rotten teeth. Breaks my heart.

Super eerie similarities to the Joseph Augustus Zarelli murder, btw. Similar age. Longterm abuse, bath and vomit before death, dumped like garbage. Boy according to hints from LE likely living with bio mom, bio mom in a new relationship with many stressors...

Jmoo

5 years and a mouthful of rotten teeth. Breaks my heart.

Super eerie similarities to the Joseph Augustus Zarelli murder, btw. Similar age. Longterm abuse, bath and vomit before death, dumped like garbage. Boy according to hints from LE likely living with bio mom, bio mom in a new relationship with many stressors...

Jmoo
It reminds me of Kenyatta Odom. Same age, same COD, same family relationship with the perps. Kenyatta was found quicker, but they didn't intend her to be, and she certainly wasn't IDed quicker.

MOO

I'm still confused as to how this all went down. The body was found, the sheriff thought it could be Logan, but the story seems to skip over what testing they did around that theory and how Logan was falsely ruled out. It says Othram tested Logan directly against family members, was that just not possible without Othram due to the state of the body? My theory would be that maybe the sheriff thought it was him but it was ruled out on the assumed timeframe of how long the remains were there.

His mother can't be charged with murder again but there are probably unlawful disposal of a body laws that she could be charged under?

RIP Logan. I hope this brings your dad some closure and you can finally be buried with dignity.
I am also incredibly confused about this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back