Identified! VA - Centreville, WhtFem 25-39, 120UFVA, clothes, Sz 8B sandals, earrings, Dec'93 - Sharon Kay Abbott Lane

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How weird is this. I just went to look at this Jane Doe in NamUs. She once had over 959 rule outs... now its showing just 3!!! I had to double check I was looking at the right Doe.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
MP4000 Cheryl Kenney 02/27/1991 Vernon MO
MP23648 Susan Riedling 03/31/1986 Bullitt KY
MP9358 Angela Gwinn-Stephens 10/01/1993 Raleigh WV

How weird is this. I just went to look at this Jane Doe in NamUs. She once had over 959 rule outs... now its showing just 3!!! I had to double check I was looking at the right Doe.

Yes, that is weird....What could be the reason for that?

Challenge accepted.
I'm completely okay with that, so thank you! I've gotten the impression that BL's case workers have seemed pretty keen on getting her identified throughout the years.

Strange. What could be the cause of that, you think? A NamUs glitch, or perhaps the identifier algorithms weren't so inconclusive as first assumed? Or simply an unfortunate case worker managing to delete the whole dang thing?

Something similar happened with this case VA - VA - Rawley Springs, WhtFem 20-30, 568UFVA, poss seamstress, 1964 coin, Heart-shaped nklace, Nov'80 , some time ago someone published the list of exclusions that were supposedly more than 300 exclusions but I asked about the current list of exclusions (I'm not from the United States so I can't see the list) and a person He told me that I happened to have 0 exclusions. this is normal?

The list that went to zero entries was likely because LE decided for whatever reason to not make the list public.

Going down to three...seems more unusual. Maybe they decided the list was too unwieldy and elected to just display the most recent exclusions? It does make me wonder if there was some characteristic that was being used to rule people out but was later determined to be wrong.

Still no word on Donna Harris

MP1082
Donna Harris
04/05/1991
Chesterfield
VA

has just been added to the NamUs exclusions.
The other ruleouts are:

MP4000
Cheryl Kenney
02/27/1991
Vernon
MO

MP23648
Susan Riedling
03/31/1986
Bullitt
KY

MP9358
Angela Gwinn-Stephens
10/01/1993
Raleigh
WV

Aug 2 2022
''In December 1993, landscape workers in Centreville, Virginia discovered a woman’s skeletal remains in a shallow grave. The woman’s skull was the first thing that the workers noticed before uncovering the rest of the woman’s remains, along with multiple articles of clothing and accessories. Investigators estimated that the woman, who was determined to be Caucasian, had been dead for several years prior to the discovery.
ecdb9e02-1146-11ed-9cbd-0242c0a86003.jpg
Investigators were able to determine that the unknown woman was between 27 and 34 years old and stood between 5’ and 5’3” in height. Her hair was described as fairly thick, and dark blonde to light brown in color. Investigators also noted that the dental care that the woman had received was relatively poor, as many of her teeth were in an advanced state of decay. Additionally, several discs in her back were herniated.
There has been strong national and local interest in identifying the woman over the decades since her remains were discovered. Many news outlets covered the grizzly finding and subsequent investigation. The case was featured on the inaugural episode of The New Detectives, which aired in 1996. The forensic reconstruction was also shown on display in the Fairfax County Sheriff's Office on Cold Case Files in the episode titled "A Knock at the Door."
For decades, law enforcement diligently pursued various leads about the woman's identity. Her body was examined by Smithsonian anthropologists, and in 2011, the case was entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) as case number #UP8493. Despite their exhaustive efforts, the woman’s identity has remained a mystery. With few leads for investigators to pursue, the case eventually went cold.
In 2022, the Fairfax County Police Department partnered with Othram to determine if advanced forensic DNA testing could help establish an identity for the woman or a close relative. The investigation continues as Othram begins to build a comprehensive genealogical profile for the woman. Anyone with information that could aid in this investigation is encouraged to contact the Fairfax County Police Department by calling 703-246-7511 and referencing agency case #1993-3400646.
A DNASolves crowdfund has been created to raise funds for the remaining casework costs. Anyone can contribute here.

CONTRIBUTE NOWYour contributions pay for lab supplies and research tools''

Aug 2 2022
''In December 1993, landscape workers in Centreville, Virginia discovered a woman’s skeletal remains in a shallow grave. The woman’s skull was the first thing that the workers noticed before uncovering the rest of the woman’s remains, along with multiple articles of clothing and accessories. Investigators estimated that the woman, who was determined to be Caucasian, had been dead for several years prior to the discovery.
Investigators were able to determine that the unknown woman was between 27 and 34 years old and stood between 5’ and 5’3” in height. Her hair was described as fairly thick, and dark blonde to light brown in color. Investigators also noted that the dental care that the woman had received was relatively poor, as many of her teeth were in an advanced state of decay. Additionally, several discs in her back were herniated.
There has been strong national and local interest in identifying the woman over the decades since her remains were discovered. Many news outlets covered the grizzly finding and subsequent investigation. The case was featured on the inaugural episode of The New Detectives, which aired in 1996. The forensic reconstruction was also shown on display in the Fairfax County Sheriff's Office on Cold Case Files in the episode titled "A Knock at the Door."
For decades, law enforcement diligently pursued various leads about the woman's identity. Her body was examined by Smithsonian anthropologists, and in 2011, the case was entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) as case number #UP8493. Despite their exhaustive efforts, the woman’s identity has remained a mystery. With few leads for investigators to pursue, the case eventually went cold.
In 2022, the Fairfax County Police Department partnered with Othram to determine if advanced forensic DNA testing could help establish an identity for the woman or a close relative. The investigation continues as Othram begins to build a comprehensive genealogical profile for the woman. Anyone with information that could aid in this investigation is encouraged to contact the Fairfax County Police Department by calling 703-246-7511 and referencing agency case #1993-3400646.
A DNASolves crowdfund has been created to raise funds for the remaining casework costs. Anyone can contribute here.

Great news!

Aug 2 2022

Thank you for accepting the challenge, @othram! :D

The comb is unusual - would a woman with Caucasian hair use that? I have thick and wavy hair but still would not use an "afro pick" comb. Could she have been biracial or AA? Dark hair does easily bleach to dark blonde in soil conditions. She was dead and buried a good while.

Jmoo

Go, Othram!!!

The comb is unusual - would a woman with Caucasian hair use that? I have thick and wavy hair but still would not use an "afro pick" comb. Could she have been biracial or AA? Dark hair does easily bleach to dark blonde in soil conditions. She was dead and buried a good while.

Jmoo

Go, Othram!!!
My mother is Caucasian, with thick and wavy hair, and used those types of combs in the 1960s and 1970s. She got a permanent wave, which was popular back then, and used that type of comb to style her hair. She's in her 90s now, but still uses one of those combs.

My mother is Caucasian, with thick and wavy hair, and used those types of combs in the 1960s and 1970s. She got a permanent wave, which was popular back then, and used that type of comb to style her hair. She's in her 90s now, but still uses one of those combs.

Yeah that was the "big hair" era. Everybody was trying to puff up and out as much as they could. And yeah, quite a few Caucasians have springy or wavy hair that benefits from that kind of comb.

Jmoo

Go, Othram!!!
When I was growing up, we just referred to that style of comb as a pick, not an Afro pick. No one in our family had particularly curly hair; it was just what was used for detangling wet hair (or parting dry hair) before detangling brushes became popular. My (white, straight-haired) mom still has and uses one for those purposes.

Jmoo

Go, Othram!!!
In that era I think it is possible as a lot of people tried to have puffy hair back then.

I might be a little late but does anyone know exactly where the landscape workers found her .. any geographic landmarks around ? Also, thought this was odd: when you put her specific Namus ID into Google, the name of a missing girl from the 60s comes up .. Ellen Fox her name is .. I just thought that was strange .

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle
Back