Found Deceased VA - Chad Austin, 30, Buena Vista, Amhurst County, 27 May 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Based on reading the trip advisor linked above, you have to drive 3 mi uphill to the blue ridge parkway leaving panther falls. Along with driving up the mountain to begin with, half a gallon might not cut it. I get about 10-15 mpg uphill in my little manual. He would have driven 6-8 mi. up to the BRP from Buena Vista on the trip there.

Been thinking about him lately. I just feel for his family and friends. Obviously from other cases we know that just because there's no additional info released to the public, I'm hoping they are still very actively looking for him.

Ok, I have a new theory. Public knowledge that he is very familiar with the Appalachian Trial and helping Trail hikers from time to time. Let's say he did want to dissappear due to pressures in his life. So he decides he is going to go on the Appalachian Trail with his dog. (The trail is 2200 miles long from Georgia to Maine and can take an average of 6 months) He decides at the last minute that he shouldn't take the dog and leaves it in the car knowing someone will stop and find him. Either because he would be an identification risk or that it just would be too hard having him on the trip. He would be able to easily dissappear on the Appalachian Trial for as long as he wanted to and possibly stop where ever he felt comfortable in any of those states, staying in Trail Shelters, camping etc. He could be traveling with others familiar with the AT/experienced hikers. Winter is close so if this is the case he would find a place to settle soon. Who knows...just a theory.

Ok, I have a new theory. Public knowledge that he is very familiar with the Appalachian Trial and helping Trail hikers from time to time. Let's say he did want to dissappear due to pressures in his life. So he decides he is going to go on the Appalachian Trail with his dog. (The trail is 2200 miles long from Georgia to Maine and can take an average of 6 months) He decides at the last minute that he shouldn't take the dog and leaves it in the car knowing someone will stop and find him. Either because he would be an identification risk or that it just would be too hard having him on the trip. He would be able to easily dissappear on the Appalachian Trial for as long as he wanted to and possibly stop where ever he felt comfortable in any of those states, staying in Trail Shelters, camping etc. He could be traveling with others familiar with the AT/experienced hikers. Winter is close so if this is the case he would find a place to settle soon. Who knows...just a theory.
I like your theory because it means he is alive !!

I think that’s as plausible a theory as any. I hope he’s caught if that’s what he did. jmo

I think that’s as plausible a theory as any. I hope he’s caught if that’s what he did. jmo
Do you mean you hope he is found instead of hope he is caught? He hasn't done anything wrong or broken any laws. He is an adult who can walk away from his life if he needs or wants to

Do you mean you hope he is found instead of hope he is caught? He hasn't done anything wrong or broken any laws. He is an adult who can walk away from his life if he needs or wants to

Check the previous page of thread. I'm pretty sure he had court dates coming up.

I hope is is found, safe.

Jmho

I would like to think this is the case. Not sure he has the skill set to survive AT with no money, weapon, or gear to procure food.

I am an experienced camper, live very close to AT and spent many years traveling it. If you are on the main trail, rangers, locals and travelers are encountered regularly. Many places to purchase food or ready made meal, on or just off the trail.

Criminals have been know to live and travel in the back woods of AT. This requires, great skill...hunting, fishing, covering tracks, stealing food from farmers gardens/chickens, clothes, etc from vacation cabins. A great skill level is required to avoid discovery, as locals live on trail and communities are extremely tight.

Jmho

I would like to think this is the case. Not sure he has the skill set to survive AT with no money, weapon, or gear to procure food.

I am an experienced camper, live very close to AT and spent many years traveling it. If you are on the main trail, rangers, locals and travelers are encountered regularly. Many places to purchase food or ready made meal, on or just off the trail.

Criminals have been know to live and travel in the back woods of AT. This requires, great skill...hunting, fishing, covering tracks, stealing food from farmers gardens/chickens, clothes, etc from vacation cabins. A great skill level is required to avoid discovery, as locals live on trail and communities are extremely tight.

Jmho

Just a question. If you do travel the main trail, is it common for rangers to ask someone for ID? I wouldn't think it's be very common for someone to have to produce and ID. Plus, if you live a low key life while traveling who the heck would check his identity.

Just a question. If you do travel the main trail, is it common for rangers to ask someone for ID? I wouldn't think it's be very common for someone to have to produce and ID. Plus, if you live a low key life while traveling who the heck would check his identity.

I don't think they randomly ask for ID. If they have cause I feel they would and could.

The rangers are mostly locals and have families in these areas for generations. Many live near the AT/BRP and have a vested interested in the community. Many major in Forestry. These are federal jobs with great benefits and retirement.

The rangers and ATF agents know who's on the trail and why most of the time. Most communities have volunteer groups that work with the rangers.... mowing, brush clean up, planting wild flowers, rebuilding fences, reenactments of earlier settlers, etc. a very tight knit group.

MOO, nothing gets past the protectors of the trail. If he was on the trail, in the area, or seen it would have been reported. Everyone is on the look out for him.

I do hope is is safe and found soon.

Doesn't seem like it is common to check ID. Here's one example of someone who spent a great deal of time on the AT and no one has found his true identity.
FL - FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018 #2

Doesn't seem like it is common to check ID. Here's one example of someone who spent a great deal of time on the AT and no one has found his true identity.
FL - FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018 #2

Wow, interesting thread. This guy did make friends and share stories during his travels. It does not appear he was a missing person.

CA, has received much publicity, a missing person report was filed and active searches.

MHO, this information has circulated the AT, posters, word of mouth and notification of rangers/ATF for the entire trail.

No they don't ask for ID unless you are caught committing a crime while on the trail. Many hikers don't take any ID because it's one more thing to carry and they don't want to risk losing it on the trail. AT hikers also adopt "trail names" so that they don't have to give strangers on the trail their real name (IMO it's both a security recommendation and a fun tradition on the trail). A wanted fugitive who went by the trail name "Bismark" hid in plain site hiking the AT for 6 years before he was caught: https://nypost.com/2015/09/20/friendly-appalachian-trail-hiker-turns-out-to-be-wanted-fugitive/

That said, I'm not convinced Chad has gone off to hike the AT. The way he left his dog in his truck doesn't make sense to me for that to be the case. AT hikers do sometimes take dogs with them. Earlier this year a man known to hike the AT with his dog attacked other hikers with a large knife/machete, killing one man and seriously injuring a woman: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...1c6a24-74ce-11e9-b3f5-5673edf2d127_story.html
A woman played dead to save herself from attacker on Appalachian Trail - CNN
Thread for the Machete attacker here: VA - Man Attacked Hikers with Machete on Appalachian Trail, Killing 1, May 2019 *Arrest*

I fear that either Chad has committed suicide or he was met with someone outside his truck with the plan to return to his dog and foul play occurred. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back