VA - Couple & two teens found murdered, Farmville, 15 Sept 2009 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"At the crossroads of eroding values and a deteriorating economy, violence may flourish."
-- Congressman Tom Perriello

Full article follows...

Last week, an unspeakable tragedy shook Central Virginia. Christopher Speight is accused of killing eight people near his home in Appomattox County, including three teenagers and his four-year-old nephew.

The 24 hours surrounding these horrific events are frightening to say the least, but also a testament to the bravery and skillfulness of our Virginia police force.

Police forces from the entire region were mobilized. In all, more than 150 police officers were instrumental in an all-night manhunt that cornered the suspect and eventually prompted him to surrender.

In our small towns and rural communities with their relatively low crime rates, sometimes we can take our law enforcement officials for granted.

We owe these courageous men and women a huge debt of gratitude for their service every day.

This has not been the only time our communities have been shocked by violence in the past year.

In September of 2009, 20-year-old Richard Samuel McCroskey III was arrested for slaying four people, including a Longwood University professor, in Farmville.

Just a few weeks later, 14-year-old Lamonte "Coco" Stone was gunned down in apparent gang-related violence in Danville.

Last weekend, I joined with citizens of Danville in the "Stop the Killing" march to demonstrate that we as a community cannot continue to brush this problem under the rug.

Each life lost is not only a tragedy for the family members and friends of the victim, but for all of us as Virginians.

When we see news of a young person killed, we must respond with the same intensity as if it were our own child. There are problems we can solve as a community if we respond as a community.

Making sure our police officers have the tools and resources they need is a necessary part of fighting violence but we have to be willing to do the rest.

At the crossroads of eroding values and a deteriorating economy, violence may flourish.

We must continue to come together as a community - in the way Appomattox has this week - as citizens, law enforcement officials, and faith leaders to begin the healing and search out how to prevent the next tragedy from happening.

This year, our local sheriffs' departments are facing deep cuts as the state budget continues to shrink.

On the federal level, I'm fighting to continue funding for police officers and emergency personnel.

In April of 2009, I supported the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Improvements Act, which will give police officers the resources necessary to combat crime and keep our communities safe.

Overall in 2009, we directed more than $3.5 million to local law enforcement agencies in the 5th district to help stave off budget cuts. Most of these funds come from the stimulus bill, in addition to funding requests I made, such as $200,000 for increased interoperability among public safety communication channels in Henry County, Martinsville, and Franklin County.

Of course, making sure our law enforcement officers have the resources they need is only one part of the puzzle. The rest is about people: the training and dedication of our police force, how we in the community respond to acts of violence, and the values we share in this culture.

For now, let us all keep these victims and their loved ones in our prayers, and let us pray for wisdom and fortitude in how we will respond to acts of violence in our homes and communities.

Please feel free to contact me to share your concerns and ideas.

You may call 1-888-4-TOM4US (1-888-486-6487); write to 1520 Longworth House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515; or visit www.perriello.house.gov to sign up for my
weekly e-newsletter.

http://www.wpcva.com/articles/2010/01/27/chatham/opinion/opinion11.txt

Two things:

There is no way I'd ever believe that Debra Kelley, in her position, didn't know quite a bit about researching something/someone on the internet.

To me the freakiest thing about the Speights story now is that the guy is alive. Brrrr. Weird. (Skeevy.)

Two things:

There is no way I'd ever believe that Debra Kelley, in her position, didn't know quite a bit about researching something/someone on the internet.

To me the freakiest thing about the Speights story now is that the guy is alive. Brrrr. Weird. (Skeevy.)

So you think she knew about both of Emma's MySpace pages as well as Sam's multiple pages? And you also think she listened to McCroskey's music prior to the visit to Farmville?

And even after reviewing all of this information, including the fact that McCroskey was 20 years old, she went ahead and still allowed him to stay in her house?

I'm baffled by that decision if it is true.

So you think she knew about both of Emma's MySpace pages as well as Sam's multiple pages? And you also think she listened to McCroskey's music prior to the visit to Farmville?

And even after reviewing all of this information, including the fact that McCroskey was 20 years old, she went ahead and still allowed him to stay in her house?

I'm baffled by that decision if it is true.

I'm still mulling this over, but right now, I see two possibilities:

1. She very well could have investigated all that about Sam but she neglected to, which I find to be irresponsible parenting. (You may recall that I am one of the few who thinks we very well should negatively judge the parenting in this case.)

2. She investigated all that and still made the decision to have him stay, as you said above. I recall someone suggesting that Debra Kelley may have had at least a side motive of wanting to get closer to the horrorcore crowd in line with her academic interests. I could see, too, that she may have chalked it all up to "well, if we don't support her in this, we'll just lose her" despite the flashing lights and sirens and ghostly wails of Noooooooooo!!!!

OK, dark humor here ...
Gene Simmons is not one of my favorite all-time people, but I just had to read the story that went along with a headline of Gene and an Ax Bass ... sure enough ... he has made an ax-shaped bass. All I could think of was that Sam would be in hog-heaven with it. :angel:

Of course it makes sense, if only because one of the things that makes the whole matter so interesting is how ambiguous our feelings seem to be. I am someone who, I thought, would never have censored books for any adult, but when confronted with the situation under discussion, and not only that, but say for bomb-making how-to books, etc., it's a tougher call than I would have believed.

That issue fascinates me. As a separate consideration, I'd also like to hear what people think would a "good book" for a prisoner like Sam.

I love Dexter. I've watched every episode made. Does that make me crazy?:waitasec: haha!

I guess I can see where someone could definitely see how it looks mockery for him to even ask for those.
But as I said I love Dexter (the show), although I didn't kill anyone so for me to ask for them wouldn't look so bad. Or does it?....lol:crazy:

OK, dark humor here ...
Gene Simmons is not one of my favorite all-time people, but I just had to read the story that went along with a headline of Gene and an Ax Bass ... sure enough ... he has made an ax-shaped bass. All I could think of was that Sam would be in hog-heaven with it. :angel:

_c489548_image_0.gif

I love Dexter. I've watched every episode made. Does that make me crazy?:waitasec: haha!

I guess I can see where someone could definitely see how it looks mockery for him to even ask for those.
But as I said I love Dexter (the show), although I didn't kill anyone so for me to ask for them wouldn't look so bad. Or does it?....lol:crazy:

I think it shows that he is still interested in horror and murder and very likely is still dangerous.

How about a sexual predator reading Nabakov's Lolita while awaiting trial? Not a problem?

I think it shows that he is still interested in horror and murder and very likely is still dangerous.

How about a sexual predator reading Nabakov's Lolita while awaiting trial? Not a problem?

Good point!
Yes I can agree that it does show he's still interested in horror or murder. I also think it's a pretty gutsy move on his part. If I were in his predicament I think that's the last thing I would ask for.
Yeah his personality is pretty psycho-like. Giving him the name "Syko" apparently. Makes you wonder just "really" how was he before all of this? I mean to the people who knew him well. You can know someone on the internet and still not know the real them. I'm pretty sure his family would never tell anyone anything different than what they've already said which was that he was a good kid...etc.

Good point!
Yes I can agree that it does show he's still interested in horror or murder. I also think it's a pretty gutsy move on his part. If I were in his predicament I think that's the last thing I would ask for.
Yeah his personality is pretty psycho-like. Giving him the name "Syko" apparently. Makes you wonder just "really" how was he before all of this? I mean to the people who knew him well. You can know someone on the internet and still not know the real them. I'm pretty sure his family would never tell anyone anything different than what they've already said which was that he was a good kid...etc.

Well look who is back, this place just aint as fun without ya so get your buns back here and check in more often!:crazy:

BTW I dont know what it says about me but I count Nabakov's Lolita as still one of my all time favorite pieces of literature. I majored in journalism and literature in undergrad BS and did some extensive work and research in to that book and I believe it to be one of the most well written and fascinating books of all time.

lolita,0.jpg

You were crazy long before Dexter. For what it is worth Emmy HATES any kind of voilent media and wont watch any type of horror films or any films with even the slightest amount of voilence, I am a huge fan of mobster films and horror films and she wouldnt even watch the Sopranos with me because she said it was too voilent, but she did totally get in to Dexter for some reason but I did not, for some reason it just didnt get my attention after I tried it for a few episodes but generally that is exactly the type of show I enjoy. Em says I really missed out because she says Dexter was very good and interesting.

Speaking of Sam and books I wasnt going to mention it but I did send him this book a few days ago, I know many who think its a cheesy book but reading it was a real life changing experience for me and it is a book I hold dear to my heart. If any of you havent read it I strongly suggest you do and I hope Sam does as well it really may help give him some peace of mind, at least I hope it does.

200px-Johnathan_Livingston_Seagull.jpg

SPOILER:

The book tells the story of Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a seagull who is bored with the daily squabbles over food. Seized by a passion for flight, he pushes himself, learning everything he can about flying, until finally his unwillingness to conform results in his expulsion from his flock. An outcast, he continues to learn, becoming increasingly pleased with his abilities as he leads an idyllic life.

One day, Jonathan is met by two gulls who take him to a "higher plane of existence" (reminiscent of the beliefs of Chinese, in that there is no heaven but a better world found through perfection of knowledge), where he meets other gulls who love to fly. He discovers that his sheer tenacity and desire to learn make him "pretty well a one-in-a-million bird." Jonathan befriends the wisest gull in this new place, named Chiang, who takes him beyond his previous learning, teaching him how to move instantaneously to anywhere else in the Universe. The secret, Chiang says, is to "begin by knowing that you have already arrived..."

Not satisfied with his new life, Jonathan returns to Earth to find others like him, to bring them his learning and to spread his love for flight. His mission is successful, gathering around him others who have been outlawed for not conforming. Ultimately, the very first of his students, Fletcher Lynd Seagull, becomes a teacher in his own right and Jonathan leaves to continue his learning

I think I am going to grab another book for him by the same author and which had the same effect on me, very life changing experience reading it:

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

With some similarity to Nevil Shute’s 1951 novel, Round the Bend, Richard Bach's mystical adventure story revolves around two barnstorming pilots who meet in a field in midwest America. The two main characters, who are doing what each one really wants to do, take on a relationship of teacher-student about the illusions that make reality. If that sounds like the point where Jonathan left off, it could be true: for Illusions may reflect what has been going on in the author's mind since the phenomenal success that changed his life.

Illusions is a companionship and enlightenment story.

'What if somebody came along who could teach me how my world works and how to control it? ... What if a Siddhartha came to our time, with power over the illusions of the world because he knew the reality behind them? And what if I could meet him in person, if he was flying a biplane, for instance, and landed in the same meadow with me?'

Donald Shimoda is one of the two main characters in Illusions. He is a messiah who leaves his job of being a messiah (and also of being a mechanic at a garage) after deciding that people value the showbiz-like performance of miracles and want to be entertained by those miracles more than to understand the message behind them. He meets Richard, a fellow barn-storming pilot and begins to pass on his knowledge to him, even teaching Richard to perform "miracles" of his own.

Donald and Richard go on a talk show at one of their stops, and Donald answers most of the questions. People listening to him don't like his speaking, and Richard gets a little worried.

Of the lessons taught Richard by Don, one of the most important is that reality is based on perspective.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world/ the Master calls a butterfly."

The novel features quotes from the "Messiah's Handbook", owned by Shimoda, which Richard later takes as his own. A most unusual aspect of this handbook is that it has no page numbers. The reason for this, as Shimoda explains to Richard, is that the book will open to the page on which the reader may find guidance or the answers to doubts and questions in his mind. It is not a magical book; Shimoda goes on to explain that one can do this with any sort of text. The messiah's handbook was released as its own title by Hampton Roads publishing company, inc. The book itself mimics the one described in Illusions, along with more quotes based on the same philosophies displayed in Illusions

If any of you havent read these two books you really should IMO.

I was thinking about how some are uncomfortable with Sam reading the Dexter books, and I'd like to know what sort of reading list any of you might suggest for him.

Don't worry--I'm not sending him all these books. It's just very, very interesting to me though that when a friend of Mary's sent him the Dexter books, people reacted so negatively. People who have made the point that "the music isn't to blame."

So what books would you think were good to send to him? And keep to books that he might actually read. So like probably not the Bible right off, y'gno wha'm sayin'?

p.s. I have actually already made my own suggestion, but I'll say after others have given opinions.

Every young man should read On the Road by Kerouac and Women by Bukowski

Man dude we have so much **** in common it is mind blowing, I am like one of the biggest Kerouac and Bukowski fans around. In fact I am a huge fan and student of the Beat era writers in general and On The Road and Women are both timeless classics and must reads. I would also strongly suggest Kerouac's Dharma Bums ANYTHING by Hunter S Thompson who I am HUGE fan of and even perhaps some Carlos Castaneda. I think Sam could handle all of these writers if he applied himself and would likely learn a lot about himself and his place in the world in the process.

Also I would suggest Baba Ram Dass (Richard Alpert) and most especially Alan Watts, this particular essay by him is a must read for everyone, it is called Self and Other. It is linked below:

http://deoxy.org/w_self.htm

Self and Other
by Alan Watts
Now, the subject of this seminar is 'Self and Other,' and this is therefore to be an exploration into the subject that interests me most, which is the problem of personal identity, man's relationship to the universe, and all the things that are connected with that. It is, for our culture at this time in history an extremely urgent problem, because of our technological power. In known history, nobody has had such capacity for altering the universe than the people of the United States of America. And nobody has gone about it in such an aggressive way.

Absolutely I agree. Also Factotum and Ham On Rye by Bukowski. The latter was one of the most brutally honest, though depressing, books I've ever read. He was a tormented soul. Buk fans also should see the following documentary (Born Into This):

Amazon.com: Bukowski - Born Into This: Charles Bukowski, Bono, John Bryan, Linda Lee Bukowski, Marina Bukowski, Neeli Cherkovski, Joyce Fante, FrancEyE, Taylor Hackford, John Martin, Mike Meloan, Jack Micheline, Art Simon, Matt Mindlin, John Dullaghan, Victor Livingston, Diane Markow, John McCormick: Movies & TV

Man dude we have so much **** in common it is mind blowing, I am like one of the biggest Kerouac and Bukowski fans around. In fact I am a huge fan and student of the Beat era writers in general and On The Road and Women are both timeless classics and must reads. I would also strongly suggest Kerouac's Dharma Bums ANYTHING by Hunter S Thompson who I am HUGE fan of and even perhaps some Carlos Castaneda. I think Sam could handle all of these writers if he applied himself and would likely learn a lot about himself and his place in the world in the process.

Also I would suggest Baba Ram Dass (Richard Alpert) and most especially Alan Watts, this particular essay by him is a must read for everyone, it is called Self and Other. It is linked below:

http://deoxy.org/w_self.htm

I concur completely! Also Demian, Siddhartha, and Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse.

Hunter S. -- Fear and Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72, Hell's Angels, Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas (of course)

Tom Wolfe -- The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, The Right Stuff, Bonfire of the Vanities

Hunter S. -- Fear and Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72, Hell's Angels, Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas (of course)

Tom Wolfe -- The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, The Right Stuff, Bonfire of the Vanities

All excellent choices, if Sam were to actually apply himself and read these books he would certainly learn a lot about himself and his place in the world in relation to others around him.

Also we cant overlook The Catcher In The Rye, I think that is one of the most important reads for a kid his age.

If he wanted something fun and more dramatic he could always go with Alas, Babylon, a terrific book about life after nuclear holocaust.

Its good to see so many readers here with such good classical taste!

If you ever get a chance get the book NO ANGEL by Jay Dobyns, he is a personal friend of mine we went to college and played football together at the University of Arizona, he is a former DEA agent and the first undercover LE to actually infiltrate and get patched in to the HELLS ANGELS and that book is the story of how all that went down and the toll it took on him, his personal and professional life and his family. Jay is a GREAT GUY. All those tats were done just for the job as Jay is really not a tat kind of guy but he transformed his entire body and look just for that Hells Angels operation.

jay-d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member