VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I felt that update left more questions than answers. He was 18 and going through a divorce? How the heck is that motivation to kill his mother, sister and nephew? No mention of a wife and no revenge on the wife?

I'd think if he was above average intelligence he'd not have been hanging around in the driveway, talking to his aunt and then just tossing blood covered clothes on the ground? How is that hiding blood evidence? It's not. I've never heard of a smart person thinking they could hide participating in a crime by making no effort to conceal participation in the crime but tossing their clothes. That's pretty contradictory to me. He did nothing to hide he did it. Stripping wasn't hiding anything. If he was smart and stripping to hide evidence he'd have had back up clothing to put on etc.

I thought they found that evidence a mile away from his home?

If so, that sure sounds like he was hiding the evidence since it wasn't found at the home.

Imo

He is being held in the custody of the Virginia Dept of Behavior Health. A judge had to declare him a danger to himself. The procedure requires psychiatrist, social worker and medical doctor to testify at a hearing.

Clearly there is a mental health issue.

I have no doubt they are trying to come up with a behavioral profile on him.

Of course they are there to elvauate him. They can even testify in a trial for either side. They are assessing his behavior, which they should.

That's routine for any murder defendant which must be deemed competent to stand trial, and be able to assist his attorneys even though he clearly told the judge he could.

If where he is, and they already know its mental illiness then why is his attorney requesting the routine evaluation? Would they not already advise the presiding Judge?

So you don't believe LE when they said they may have uncovered his real motive for doing these murders?

What if they also uncover he planned it all out? It takes cognitive thought to plan something, and then carry it out.

But, I'm willing to see what the actual evidence uncovers.

Jmho

Respectfully...

So you don't believe LE when they said they may have uncovered his real motive for doing these murders?

The search warrant is required to obtain information from his phone. This is prior to looking at the phone. The statement was actually " may contain information identifying a motive for the shooting".
No reference to having a motive, but looking for one.

Kyle Wilcox on Twitter

If where he is, and they already know its mental illiness then why is his attorney requesting the routine evaluation? Would they not already advise the presiding Judge?

A court order for VDBH to retain custody of MB is totally different than a competency evaluation. In MB case, to protect one's self harm.
A competency assessment has clear established questions than insure a person is able to understand and participate in their defense. It is completed by a court representative, psychiatrist for the state and a decision is made by a judge based on the specific information. It covers the ability to understand, make decisions, understand outcomes and process information, regardless of mental or physical disability.

Virginia is vigilant in this process. We've paid out millions in unjust imprisonment and sterilization of the mentally ill. The right to a fair trial begins with understanding, comprehension of the crime and mental capacity to defend ones self.

We will have to wait for a trial before we know what clues the cell phone hold.

Jmho

I thought they found that evidence a mile away from his home?

If so, that sure sounds like he was hiding the evidence since it wasn't found at the home.

Imo

The bloody clothing was near the house, In the woods. Remember this whole area is rural, "the woods" are everywhere.

Jmo, His clothes were saturated with blood. Blood becomes sticky, and overwhelming smell. I think he remove for this reason.

Jmho

You said he was likely above average intelligence. And an above average intelligence person runs around all over the place after killing someone, strips and dumps his blood stained clothing somewhere on the ground where it was clearly easily found and THEN runs around naked? Nope that does not sound like above average intelligence to me.

And getting a divorce in no way explains to me killing your mother, sister and infant nephew. Maybe you can clarify why that's so clearly a motive? Do people who are getting divorced typically go and kill multiple people outside of their marriage? Is that typical? We see loads of people in a contentious divorce do something to their spouse and children but extended family members outside the marriage.

I don't know if the man is insane or not. I get you clearly want to believe he's not, though I don't know why. But why such leaps in logic to act like stripping your bloody clothes off and running around naked is a clear attempt to hide a crime? Since when? Why do you even feel the need to say he was trying to hide evidence of a crime?

I mean of all the murderers we see on this forum, calling the guy running around naked a clearly highly intelligent man who was trying to conceal his crime all because he discarded his clothing before running naked around town just seems laughable.

I think most of the clear and utter morons we've seen on this forum do a heck of a lot better job in trying to conceal their participation in a crime.

You said he was likely above average intelligence. And an above average intelligence person runs around all over the place after killing someone, strips and dumps his blood stained clothing somewhere on the ground where it was clearly easily found and THEN runs around naked? Nope that does not sound like above average intelligence to me.

And getting a divorce in no way explains to me killing your mother, sister and infant nephew. Maybe you can clarify why that's so clearly a motive? Do people who are getting divorced typically go and kill multiple people outside of their marriage? Is that typical? We see loads of people in a contentious divorce do something to their spouse and children but extended family members outside the marriage.

I don't know if the man is insane or not. I get you clearly want to believe he's not, though I don't know why. But why such leaps in logic to act like stripping your bloody clothes off and running around naked is a clear attempt to hide a crime? Since when? Why do you even feel the need to say he was trying to hide evidence of a crime?

Since he's only 18, I think the divorce comment speaks more to his insanity! This guy was not married as far as I can tell.....

He is being held in the custody of the Virginia Dept of Behavior Health. A judge had to declare him a danger to himself. The procedure requires psychiatrist, social worker and medical doctor to testify at a hearing.

Clearly there is a mental health issue.
I agree. Think this rules out medical but i’m Still thinking in the line of mental health. Moo

Last edited:
I felt that update left more questions than answers. He was 18 and going through a divorce? How the heck is that motivation to kill his mother, sister and nephew? No mention of a wife and no revenge on the wife?

I'd think if he was above average intelligence he'd not have been hanging around in the driveway, talking to his aunt and then just tossing blood covered clothes on the ground? How is that hiding blood evidence? It's not. I've never heard of a smart person thinking they could hide participating in a crime by making no effort to conceal participation in the crime but tossing their clothes. That's pretty contradictory to me. He did nothing to hide he did it. Stripping wasn't hiding anything. If he was smart and stripping to hide evidence he'd have had back up clothing to put on etc.
And don’t forget the dog! What’s the dog got to do with a divorce?

I have no doubt they are trying to come up with a behavioral profile on him.

Of course they are there to elvauate him. They can even testify in a trial for either side. They are assessing his behavior, which they should.

That's routine for any murder defendant which must be deemed competent to stand trial, and be able to assist his attorneys even though he clearly told the judge he could.

What if they also uncover he planned it all out? It takes cognitive thought to plan something, and then carry it out.

But, I'm willing to see what the actual evidence uncovers.

Jmho
I absolutely believe LE. I just think they are going to find there is no divorce. It’s in his head. We are never going to be able to understand the thoughts and actions of someone who is mentally ill. Their thoughts are all distorted. Wires all are crossed so to speak.
Unfortunately I have an Aunt who is bipolar with psychosis and is often off meds. When she’s in her episode she does not have the ability to have a conversation with anyone. She just shouts “I love David” to everyone she comes in contact with. This has been going on for over 20 years. It’s always David and there is no David.

I mean of all the murderers we see on this forum, calling the guy running around naked a clearly highly intelligent man who was trying to conceal his crime all because he discarded his clothing before running naked around town just seems laughable.

I think most of the clear and utter morons we've seen on this forum do a heck of a lot better job in trying to conceal their participation in a crime.
To add to that I don’t see a high intelligent killer who planned out these horrific murders running right into hundreds of LE officers. Where was his plan to hide himself and get away? Moo

Morning!

Do they really?

We have seen very highly intelligent murder defendants here through the years.

One was even a recently retired NASA rocket scientist among the many others who held professions that requires above higher intelligence.

So what did the NASA scientist do that was known at NASA as being highly intelligent among his peers when he murdered his wife inside of their home? He threw the murder weapon only 50 feet out in the bay from his own home. Her body was found close to their home, and he used a cinder block from his own seawall to hold her body down.

Being highly intelligent never means they pull of a perfect crime. In fact many times if they were highly intelligent the more sloppy they are when doing it, and covering it up, whether they are scientists, highly respected doctors, lawyers, or other occupations requiring higher intelligence. Or any other murder defendant who was tested showing a higher IQ. In fact it's those stupid illogical blunders are the reasons they are caught.

BTW, I never said I want him to not be mentally insane. What I have consistently said until its proven he was mentally insane at the time unable to understand his actions, I do not assume he was.

Until that is an affirmative declaration, I think I'm entitled to express my own opinions or question it. Or at least I was under the impression after being here for over 15 years that everyone has the same rights, and do not have to agree.

I know my opinions aren't receptive by most on this forum, and I highly respect all who believe he is mentally ill even though I may question it.

We will see after his mental evaluation has been done, and when court convenes again iirc in November.

Jmhoo

Morning!

Do they really?

We have seen very highly intelligent murder defendants here through the years.

One was even a recently retired NASA rocket scientist among the many others who held professions that requires above higher intelligence.

So what did the NASA scientist do that was known at NASA as being highly intelligent among his peers when he murdered his wife inside of their home? He threw the murder weapon only 50 feet out in the bay from his own home. Her body was found close to their home, and he used a cinder block from his own seawall to hold her body down.

Being highly intelligent never means they pull of a perfect crime. In fact many times if they were highly intelligent the more sloppy they are when doing it, and covering it up, whether they are scientists, highly respected doctors, lawyers, or other occupations requiring higher intelligence. In fact it's those stupid illogical blunders are the reasons they are caught.

BTW, I never said I want him to not be mentally insane. What I have consistently said until its proven he was mentally insane at the time unable to understand his actions, I do not assume he was.

Until that is an affirmative declaration, I think I'm entitled to express my own opinions or question it. Or at least I was under the impression after being here for over 15 years that everyone has the same rights, and do not have to agree.

I know my opinions aren't receptive by most on this forum, and I highly respect all who believe he is mentally ill even though I may question it.

We will see after his mental evaluation has been done, and when court convenes again iirc in November.

Jmhoo
Morning OBE! I always enjoy reading your posts on the many other cases we follow. You always have so much to bring. This one included. Tho at the moment I respectfully disagree with your opinion on it, I still like to hear your take on it from a different perspective.
For me, most cases, i’m The first to automatically believe the murderer is guilty and just pure evil, but with this case it just appears different to me.
Looking forward to the day we get the answers. There is no right or wrong here. Regardless of what is discovered, diagnosed, or not diagnosed, 3 beautiful lives were taken, a family destroyed, and sane or insane will never bring them back. Either way this young man will face some serious consequences for the rest of his God given life. MOO

Morning OBE! I always enjoy reading your posts on the many other cases we follow. You always have so much to bring. This one included. Tho at the moment I respectfully disagree with your opinion on it, I still like to hear your take on it from a different perspective.
For me, most cases, i’m The first to automatically believe the murderer is guilty and just pure evil, but with this case it just appears different to me.
Looking forward to the day we get the answers. There is no right or wrong here. Regardless of what is discovered, diagnosed, or not diagnosed, 3 beautiful lives were taken, a family destroyed, and sane or insane will never bring them back. Either way this young man will face some serious consequences for the rest of his God given life. MOO

Thank you. You have posted with me for quite awhile now, and you know I am not one to be rude, condescending or confrontational.

I never try to change anyone's opinion about their own entitled beliefs. I just express my own opinions including any questions I may have.

I too would feel much better if he is declared mentally ill unable to stand trial, rather than learning he had premeditated it all, and had the cognitive thought process needed at the time he carried it out.

I suppose I've become wary or gun shy over the years when family members proclaim their family member was mentally ill at the time, and time after time, over, and over again it turned out it wasn't the case. I admit it's made it difficult for me to just buy it or assume it is true when its being said again.

I know this would be the best outcome for the grieving family who's lives have been shattered.

That's all I am trying to say. That I prefer to wait until all the verified facts become known. Imo, we dont know what we don't know.

I do believe there are many things that aren't known to us, but is being learned by the investigators.

Whatever they find out or uncover in the ongoing investigation, including him being ruled mentally ill I will respect it like I do in all cases, and will breathe a sigh of relief he didn't purposefully plan it.

Thank you for replying with civility like you always do. :)

Jmho

Last edited:
And don’t forget the dog! What’s the dog got to do with a divorce?

I have thought about that as well. Do we know who the precious dog belonged to? Was it his mother's pet or did it belong to his sister, and her little boy? What kind of dog was it if you know? TIA

The reason I ask if they are passionate animal lovers like all of my own family members are ...they will bring them with them especially if going to their parents home or close family members or even to the homes of close friends.

I have no idea why he killed the dog, but it isn't unheard of in murder cases for the dogs at the murder scene to also be killed by the offender.

Why others do so, I can only guess. Perhaps they knew the dog would be protective, and become aggressive toward them...so they eliminated that threat who may have been standing in the way between the offender, and the victims. I also think some do it to cause further pain. I also suppose they can do so to eliminate them from barking which may alert the intended targeted victims.

Why he did it I simply don't know though. Hopefully those questions will be answered as the investigation goes forward.

Do we know if he has spoken with the police possibly explaining certain things?

Jmho

Last edited:
@oceanblueeyes thanks for reminding us that there are different opinions! We don't know for a fact yet that he has any mental illness, it's good to be reminded of that every once in a while. I enjoy having someone on these threads with a different opinion from my own, there's not much useful discussion otherwise.

I for one will be surprised if we ever do hear a "why" in this case unfortunately, I personally don't think there is one.

Warrant states a cell phone had two missed calls from "mom" minutes before 911 call on Aug. 27

Sep 20, 2019

"A warrant obtained Friday, Sept. 20 in the Pittsylvania County Circuit Court Clerk's Office states a cell phone found in the bedroom of Matthew Thomas Bernard, 18, had two missed calls from "mom" at approximately 8:02 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 27.

Three minutes after the last missed call, Rachel Jefferson called 911 after finding Joan Denise Jefferson Bernard, 62, in the driveway at 1949 Keeling Drive.

"On August 27, 2019 at approximately 8:05 a.m., a Ms. Rachel Jefferson, called 911 to report the incident at 1949 Keeling Dr.," the warrant states.

On Aug. 27, officers found Joan Bernard, 62, Emily Bernard Bivens, 25; and Cullen Micah Bivens, 14 months old dead in the home at 1949 Keeling Drive.

Matthew Bernard was nowhere to be found according to the warrant. A previously obtained warrant stated his phone was found outside.

Additionally, the warrant states Matthew Bernard's father told investigators where his son's room was in the home. It was in that room that investigators located the cell phone with the missed phone calls.

"Inv. Baxter informed your affiant that when he picked up the phone, the [display] showed two missed calls from 'mom' on face of cell phone," the warrant states. ...

A preliminary hearing has been set for Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 9 a.m. in Pittsylvania County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court. "

Warrant states a cell phone had two missed calls from "mom" minutes before 911 call on Aug. 27

From the article below

Anew search warrant obtained from the Pittsylvania County Circuit Court Clerk's Office states Matthew Thomas Bernard was operating 'under a religious motivation' on Aug. 27, 2019
The warrant, dated Sept. 19, indicates Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office Investigator Marvin Pickeral interviewed Jason Adkins, who is identified as the youth pastor at Central Boulevard Church of God.
"He further told Inv. Pickeral that Matthew kept an audio diary on his phone of what Matthew described as his thoughts, what he had seen in dreams, visions, and things that he had heard from God," the warrant states.

New warrant states Matthew Bernard operated 'under a religious motivation' on Aug. 27

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmjordan75
Back