VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Search warrants reveal new details in Virginia triple homicide of baseball player’s family

"Bernard’s uncle, Bryant Bernard, said the killings were unlike the churchgoing nephew he knew. He said something changed in Bernard over a short period of time.
“Last week he was having bad dreams, and that he’d seen demons around his bed… He said something to his mother that something’s going on and it’s gotta stop today and he left.”

Bernard was was involved in church and taught youth groups, Bryant Bernard said. He doesn’t know “what snapped” with his nephew."

They found a white t-shirt, blue sweatpants, and Nike shoes approximately one mile from the Bernard's home where the murders took place in a wooded area the next day. An affidavit shows the clothing appeared to have red stains and what could possibly be particles of human tissue on them.

The clothing is currently in possession of the Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office.

Bernard was taken into custody after he emerged naked from the woods.
upload_2019-9-12_9-22-28.jpeg

At his hearing on Thursday, the judge approved an order for a competency and sanity evaluation, both request by Bernard's attorney. The order reads that the evaluations must be conducted on an inpatient basis by qualified staff at a hospital designated by the Commissioner of the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.
e459cd72-565f-4c36-b6e8-5dfb2a0b840f-medium16x9_competencyorder2.jpg

The judge approved an order for a competency and sanity evaluation, both request by Bernard's attorney. The order reads that the evaluations must be conducted on an inpatient basis by qualified staff at a hospital designated by the Commissioner of the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (WSET)

It also shows that Bernard is in the custody of the Commissioner of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.

He's scheduled to be back in court on November 6.
Judge orders competency, sanity evaluations for triple-murder suspect

Matthew Bernard arraigned in court Thursday morning

Sep 12, 2019

"PITTSYLVANIA CO., Va. (WDBJ7) 18-year-old Matthew Thomas Bernard was arraigned Thursday morning in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court in Pittsylvania County.

He is accused of murdering 62-year-old Joan Bernard, 25-year-old Emily Bivens and 14-month-old Cullen Bivens.

Bernard is charged with three counts of second degree murder and three counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony.

Judge Brian Turpin asked Bernard if he understood the charges. Bernard replied, "yes sir."

A preliminary hearing has been set for November 6, 2019. 90 minutes has been allotted for the hearing.

James Martin is representing Bernard.

Martin says he has filed a motion for evaluation of competency and sanity for Bernard that will be reviewed at the hearing."

Matthew Bernard arraigned in court Thursday morning

This is so horrible - and frightening to know that mental illness can sneak up like this and make someone kill their family (if this is what has happened here). Yikes. I am just not familiar enough with this quick onset of whatever happened here - he seems like he was a good young man IMO. just awful.

Has anyone seen anything (in MSM) about drug/alcohol testing? Or does anyone know, do we normally hear about those results prior to some sort of trial?

I'm very interested to know if there was something that triggered this. Like you said @oviedo it's frightening to think that this can just *happen* so quickly assuming nothing else is going on other than mental illness. I know, after following cases on here, there are questions that we may never get the answers to but I would really like to understand more what's going on here.

Judge orders mental evaluation, appoints counsel for Bernard

Do you understand these charges," Judge Turpin said after reading them to Matthew Bernard.

"Yes sir," Matthew Bernard said.

Judge Turpin asked Matthew Bernard if he could cooperate with Martin, to which he gave the answer, "Yes sir."

As Bernard entered and exited the courtroom, he looked around the gallery to see who was present.

The paperwork for the evaluation indicates Bernard is in the custody of the Commissioner of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services

Has anyone seen anything (in MSM) about drug/alcohol testing? Or does anyone know, do we normally hear about those results prior to some sort of trial?

I'm very interested to know if there was something that triggered this. Like you said @oviedo it's frightening to think that this can just *happen* so quickly assuming nothing else is going on other than mental illness. I know, after following cases on here, there are questions that we may never get the answers to but I would really like to understand more what's going on here.

I have no doubt when he was first arrested, and sent to the hospital the doctor who saw him had a fully toxicology run on this murder defendant.

Before treating him they would have to know what or anything was in his system at the time.

That has become almost as routine as taking their DNA profile swabs of the arrested suspect.

I still have many questions about this case like you do.

Often cases like this one, and others aren't nearly like they first appeared to be initially.

Jmho

Kyle Wilcox‏Verified account @KyleMWilcoxTV 3h3 hours ago
BREAKING: According to court documents, Matthew Bernard’s cell phone may contain information identifying a motive. Bernard is the suspect in last month’s triple homicide in Keeling @ABC13News

EEXwi3CX4AE7_zO.jpg

The warrant says the phone was recovered in the front yard of Bernard’s home and “may contain information identifying a motive for these shootings.”

EEXxPmyWkAAnBVe.jpg

Warrant: Cell phone might show motive behind Pittsylvania Co. triple homicide

September 13th 2019

"PITTSYLVANIA Co., Va. (WSET) -- Court documents reveal there might be a possible motive in a triple homicide last month in Pittsylvania County.

The 18-year-old charged in the murders of his mother, sister, and nephew was in court Thursday morning for an arraignment where a judge officially charged him with three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony....

In new court documents released Friday, September 13, it shows investigators found an iPhone in a black case in the front yard of the phone.

Investigators said the phone was shown to Bernard's father, who identified it as his son's phone.

The Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office got a search warrant to search for digital data, including voicemails, call history, electronic messages, social media activity, and historical call phone location data.

Virginia State Police investigators have searched social media sites and found posts from Bernard indicated he was going through a divorce and to "never underestimate a Bernard." The posts shows a photo of him holding his nephew.

Investigators believe his cell phone information will show where Bernard was when the crimes happened and may contain information identifying a motive for the shootings....

He's scheduled to be back in court on November 6."

BREAKING: According to court documents, Matthew Bernard’s cell phone may contain information identifying a motive. Bernard is the suspect in last month’s triple homicide in Keeling @ABC13News

EEXwi3CX4AE7_zO.jpg

The warrant says the phone was recovered in the front yard of Bernard’s home and “may contain information identifying a motive for these shootings.”

EEXxPmyWkAAnBVe.jpg

September 13th 2019

"PITTSYLVANIA Co., Va. (WSET) -- Court documents reveal there might be a possible motive in a triple homicide last month in Pittsylvania County.

The 18-year-old charged in the murders of his mother, sister, and nephew was in court Thursday morning for an arraignment where a judge officially charged him with three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony....

In new court documents released Friday, September 13, it shows investigators found an iPhone in a black case in the front yard of the phone.

Investigators said the phone was shown to Bernard's father, who identified it as his son's phone.

The Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office got a search warrant to search for digital data, including voicemails, call history, electronic messages, social media activity, and historical call phone location data.

Virginia State Police investigators have searched social media sites and found posts from Bernard indicated he was going through a divorce and to "never underestimate a Bernard." The posts shows a photo of him holding his nephew.

Investigators believe his cell phone information will show where Bernard was when the crimes happened and may contain information identifying a motive for the shootings....

He's scheduled to be back in court on November 6."

Thank you so much for all you do to keep us informed about this heart shattering triple homicide case, and so many others. You are such a valuable asset we are so blessed to have.

I, for one, never doubted he had a motive for why he destroyed his wonderful family.

It's a good reminder we shouldn't just assume any murder defendant was mentally ill at the time. Especially when it rarely is ever the actual cause.

I felt from the beginning the true motive would be uncovered at some point in time by LE Usually in most cases the real motive for doing horrendous murders like this murderer has done will become known.

I believe he premeditated these murders, and then carried them out like he had already thought about doing beforehand.

His attorney who asked the court to have him mentally evaluated is routinely done by all defense attorneys, and not just in this one.

I pray that justice will be done for brutally murdering these three defenseless victims.

I have said countless times over the years many times that murderers only let others see how they want to appear to be, and not what is truly in their evil minds, and dark heart.

They often hold deep dark secrets, and hopefully all of his evil secrets will come out the darkness into the light. His 3 helpless victims deserve no less.

Sadly I don't think it will be any different in these senseless murders than all others are.

God bless the grieving, and shattered families.

Jmho

Last edited:
I wonder if it was his way of saying he was planning to divorce his family?

Its chilling he has a photo of him holding his little nephew.

I also felt all along LE would find social media sites of his thoughts, and communications.

I also feel now, he took his clothes off to make sure he didn't have any DNA, including blood spatter of his victims on his clothing, which he knew would be found if he was clothed. Didnt they also find the murder weapon away from the home?

Imo, The voices in his head were his own as he thought about carrying out his premeditated plans.

I think he even tried to fool his own family before doing it. Was he cleverly plotting out his defense before carrying it out?

I think it will be learned he was above normal intelligence. He had carefully planned all of it out beforehand. Imo That is why the drastic change went from fine like his uncle said he was to him setting up pretending he changed drastically in a blink of an eye. That too was part of his pre plans. Imo.

That's why the sudden total change never made any sense. It wasn't genuine, but all a ploy he used before carrying the murders out. Imo

So, did LE also assume a naked man meant he was mentally ill? Maybe just maybe he was trying to hoodwink all pretending he was mentally ill when he was just trying to project he was? Or maybe the real reason was if found clothed he knew it would instantly show by the evidence he was guilty?

It seems he shot them all at very close range with even being contact wounds if they found human matter as well. :(

Does anyone know if he shot his sister, and precious child while they both were sleeping side by side? :(

Sigh. I'm afraid this is going to turnout to be another monster who premeditated to destroy the lives of totally innocent victims.

Jmho

Last edited:
I wonder if it was his way of saying he was planning to divorce his family?

Its chilling he has a photo of him holding his little nephew.

I also felt all along LE would find social media sites of his thoughts, and communications.

I also feel now, he took his clothes off to make sure he didn't have any DNA, including blood spatter of his victims on his clothing, which he knew would be found if he was clothed. Didnt they also find the murder weapon away from the home?

Imo, The voices in his head were his own as he thought about carrying out his premeditated plans.

I think he even tried to fool his own family before doing it. Was he cleverly plotting out his defense before carrying it out?

I think it will be learned he was above normal intelligence. He had carefully planned all of it out beforehand. Imo That is why the drastic change went from fine like his uncle said he was to him setting up pretending he changed drastically in a blink of an eye. That too was part of his pre plans. Imo

So, did LE also assume a naked man meant he was mentally ill? Maybe just maybe he was trying to hoodwink all pretending he was mentally ill when he was just trying to project he was? Or maybe the real reason was if found clothed he knew it would instantly show by the evidence he was guilty?

It seems he shot them all at very close range with even being contact wounds if they found human matter as well. :(

Does anyone know if he shot his sister, and precious child while they both were sleeping side by side? :(

Sigh. I'm afraid this is going to turnout to be another monster who premeditated to destroy the lives of totally innocent victims.

Jmho
The warrant said the deceased female was in the bedroom with blood on her chest and the baby was in the bed shot in the head - I’m wondering is she heard him kill the dog and got up and he shot her as she walked toward him? IMO

Thank you so much for all you do to keep us informed about this heart shattering triple homicide case, and so many others. You are such a valuable asset we are so blessed to have.

I, for one, never doubted he had a motive for why he destroyed his wonderful family.

It's a good reminder we shouldn't just assume any murder defendant was mentally ill at the time. Especially when it rarely is ever the actual cause.

I felt from the beginning the true motive would be uncovered at some point in time by LE Usually in most cases the real motive for doing horrendous murders like this murderer has done will become known.

I believe he premeditated these murders, and then carried them out like he had already thought about doing beforehand.

His attorney who asked the court to have him mentally evaluated is routinely done by all defense attorneys, and not just in this one.

I pray that justice will be done for brutally murdering these three defenseless victims.

I have said countless times over the years many times that murderers only let others see how they want to appear to be, and not what is truly in their evil minds, and dark heart.

They often hold deep dark secrets, and hopefully all of his evil secrets will come out the darkness into the light. His 3 helpless victims deserve no less.

Sadly I don't think it will be any different in these senseless murders than all others are.

God bless the grieving, and shattered families.

Jmho

BBM
5215.gif

I felt that update left more questions than answers. He was 18 and going through a divorce? How the heck is that motivation to kill his mother, sister and nephew? No mention of a wife and no revenge on the wife?

I'd think if he was above average intelligence he'd not have been hanging around in the driveway, talking to his aunt and then just tossing blood covered clothes on the ground? How is that hiding blood evidence? It's not. I've never heard of a smart person thinking they could hide participating in a crime by making no effort to conceal participation in the crime but tossing their clothes. That's pretty contradictory to me. He did nothing to hide he did it. Stripping wasn't hiding anything. If he was smart and stripping to hide evidence he'd have had back up clothing to put on etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
difficultgrownup
Back