VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is any other police agency assisting in this case? Most mass homicides I've followed through the decades the local LE jurisdiction immediately calls in it's the state police agency, and/or the FBI to assist in such a case.

I'm surprised the press hasn't learned the father was in the home at the time if that was the case.

I have always found local, and area reporters are much much better at getting information on these kind of cases than the national media.

I live in a small rural community myself, and talk travels quickly. It's odd that the press hasn't mentioned the father being in the home.

But it does seem he did get ticked off when his mother told him his noise was going to wake the baby. Was he jealous of his sister, and baby, and the attention they were getting, I wonder? Sigh.

Sometimes that's all it takes for someone to erupt into a murderous rage as we have seen happen before.

It seems it's always something totally triviaI that starts it.

Imoo

Yes, local reporters usually get the scoop. The Chatham Tribune, imo, had been very kind to the family. Their reporter Charles Bell is a local guy and cares a great deal for his community. He's known for being honest, kind and caring. All SM closed groups turned off all comments from the beginning. There seems to be a sense of protection for the family in this community.

I think, if we hear anything publicly, it will be from the Bevins side

Jmo .

Last edited:
Is any other police agency assisting in this case? Most mass homicides I've followed through the decades the local LE jurisdiction immediately calls in it's the state police agency, and/or the FBI to assist in such a case.

I'm surprised the press hasn't learned the father was in the home at the time if that was the case.

I have always found local, and area reporters are much much better at getting information on these kind of cases than the national media.

I live in a small rural community myself, and talk travels quickly. It's odd that the press hasn't mentioned the father being in the home.

But it does seem he did get ticked off when his mother told him his noise was going to wake the baby. Was he jealous of his sister, and baby, and the attention they were getting, I wonder? Sigh.

Sometimes that's all it takes for someone to erupt into a murderous rage as we have seen happen before.

It seems it's always something totally triviaI that starts it.

Imoo

State Police was involved from the minute the bodies were found. Several counties send assistance...Halifax, Henry county, City of Danville. They had a massive response of LE. SWAT and armored vehicles were on sites, as well.

I'm sure there is plenty of evidence to make a conviction.

Jmo

I still believe it maybe a physical/medical problem with Matthew. Danville Regional houses many MH clients in a violent episode, as well as Lynchburg.

By taking to Roanoke Memorial ( Carilion), they are a level 5 Trauma Center, I feel DR found "something" medical. Then being returned to the hospital. If it was just MI, they would have transferred to Southern Virginia mental health facility, right in Danville. They have the 24 hour RN nurses and a full time psychiatrist. They handle many MI patients with medical needs.

As with all mental health patients they can be fine for along time and then develop a urinary track infection and decompensate in hours.

Jmo
Hi! Just dropping in quickly to add that it is common to see what is called “waxing and waning” in both mental health disorders and brain disease disorders. There are periods of times when they appear “normal” and then they go into complete psychosis before again coming out appearing “normal”. I don’t Like the use of the word normal because just because one looks normal doesn’t at all mean they are. And they usually are not. One who was once engaged is withdrawn. One who was once the loud and vocal is now quiet and depressed. And so on. Lucid or functional may be a better term than normal. During these periods of lucidness they are calm but withdrawn and purplexed. Smallest thing can trigger a psychotic episode where they become violent destructive and uncontrollable. Then after they pass the episode they are quiet and withdrawn again and have absolutely no recollection of their psychotic episode. I see it often both with mental health disorders like bipolar manic/depression with psychosis and with brain disease such as brain tumors or autoimmune disorders of the brain. I don’t have the time at the moment to add articles so this is all JMO for now

Hi! Just dropping in quickly to add that it is common to see what is called “waxing and waning” in both mental health disorders and brain disease disorders. There are periods of times when they appear “normal” and then they go into complete psychosis before again coming out appearing “normal”. I don’t Like the use of the word normal because just because one looks normal doesn’t at all mean they are. And they usually are not. One who was once engaged is withdrawn. One who was once the loud and vocal is now quiet and depressed. And so on. Lucid or functional may be a better term than normal. During these periods of lucidness they are calm but withdrawn and purplexed. Smallest thing can trigger a psychotic episode where they become violent destructive and uncontrollable. Then after they pass the episode they are quiet and withdrawn again and have absolutely no recollection of their psychotic episode. I see it often both with mental health disorders like bipolar manic/depression with psychosis and with brain disease such as brain tumors or autoimmune disorders of the brain. I don’t have the time at the moment to add articles so this is all JMO for now
I am curious as to the number of cures for the condition/s you describe. Is there any? tia

T
Or a sense of guilt. It would be hard for Emily's husband to list Matthew, I would think.

They are having a combined funeral service.
Jmo
The day he murdered his wife and son, I am sure is the day he didn't exist anymore. And certainly not to be recognized as her brother. I would never want to hear or see his name again. My heart goes out to him. He will never be the same again.

I am curious as to the number of cures for the condition/s you describe. Is there any? tia
It depends on the cause. If medical usually yes by treating the medical problem. If mental health than no. There is no cure but with treatment the symptoms can be controlled. The problem with this population tho is that many are not compliant with their medications.moo

It depends on the cause. If medical usually yes by treating the medical problem. If mental health than no. There is no cure but with treatment the symptoms can be controlled. The problem with this population tho is that many are not compliant with their medications.moo
As in medical, you mean brain lesion right? Makes sense. I know you're right about consistency in taking their meds. And most are not in a controlled environment to make sure they are compliant. One reason for so many homeless and on the streets.. but that's a convo for another day and doesn't apply here. Thanks for your informed opinion.

While I thoroughly appreciate all of the mental health conditions provided by our very informative learned posters, I'm one who is going to wait for the evaluation conclusion on this triple murderer to come forward.

It's not just how I do it in this case only, but I always would rather wait for all of the facts to come forth first on any case where family members are proclaiming the family member was so mentally ill, and that is why they murdered.

I do hope he is evaluated by those who do not know this family as that could create unintended biases, imo..

Jmho

DBM-

Mods if you see this, I don’t why there are random attachments? so please delete :). I’ll try reposting in another post.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-1_22-18-2.png
    upload_2019-9-1_22-18-2.png
    73 bytes · Views: 17
  • upload_2019-9-1_22-18-2.png
    upload_2019-9-1_22-18-2.png
    73 bytes · Views: 14
Can't access this, even with my Outline site. Can you or someone give a 10% synopsis on this please? TIA!

A grisly discovery in Virginia: three dead, a sledgehammer with blood and a rifle in the woods, documents show

I’m not sure if this is exactly 10%, but here is some of it:

“KEELING, Va. — Several years ago, Matthew Bernard sat at a table in the front office of Paradise Lake and Campground for hours with a woman who had recently lost her husband. He prayed and talked with her and even danced around the table trying to make her laugh.

"He was a goofball," said campground desk clerk Kelly Cook as she recalled the scene. "If you weren't smiling, he made sure when he walked out of the room that you were smiling." .....

.....Capping off the grisly discovery of the bodies Tuesday at 1949 Keeling Drive was a chaotic arrest of the 18-year-old as he dashed nude from a treeline located roughly a mile from the crime scene. He ran into a face full of pepper spray from a state police officer while on his way to a church parking and then tried to choke a church caretaker before being whacked by a police baton and moments later running off into a phalanx of waiting cops......

......The scene came to light after a next-door neighbor — listed in court documents as Ms. Jefferson — began investigating after Matthew Bernard showed up on her property, punched her in the arm and then ran off. The neighbor who discovered the body, contacted by the Danville Register & Bee on Thursday, did not want to comment for this story.

Soon after the strange encounter, Jefferson heard gunshots at the house next door, where Matthew Bernard lived with his family.

She called the police, got in her car and drove to the house. When she pulled up, court documents state, she found a deceased body in the driveway. The Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office, in a news conference Wednesday, said the body of Joan Bernard was found in the driveway.

Two of the bodies found at the scene had visible gunshot wounds to the head, court documents state, and all three had 30-30 shell casings nearby.

Investigators found a sledgehammer in the garage with blood.

They also found a 30-30 rifle in the wooded area behind the house, according to the document...”

I'm curious about the father. Have I missed any reports on him? Because I've not seen anything. Is he okay? Was he injured or does he have some sort of issue that prevents him from being present. I'm sure he needs privacy, but I've never seen a case where the head of the family doesn't speak out at all. Just seems odd to me.

T

The day he murdered his wife and son, I am sure is the day he didn't exist anymore. And certainly not to be recognized as her brother. I would never want to hear or see his name again. My heart goes out to him. He will never be the same again.

It's such a difficult situation when a family member murders their own.

If the offender is a stranger or someone outside of the family then they can support each other as the seek justice for the perpetrator to be punished. Once justice has been served if convicted they can have some semblance of peace knowing the offender has been brought to justice, and sent to prison most likely for the rest of their lives.

However, it must be so unbelievably difficult when the violent offender was also a family member.

Imo, they will never be able to fully detach themselves when it comes to WHO took their loved ones from them.

When it's one of their own it has to feel like the ultimate betrayal even far worse than even if it was done by a close trusted friend.

Imo, I don't think any guilt was involved as another poster mentioned as to why the murderer was left out of his sister's obit.

I have seen other obits where the taker of life was also omitted, rightfully so imo.

And really why should he be included when he is the very reason for his sister, and their precious little baby's death in the first place?

Jmho

Last edited:
I'm curious about the father. Have I missed any reports on him? Because I've not seen anything. Is he okay? Was he injured or does he have some sort of issue that prevents him from being present. I'm sure he needs privacy, but I've never seen a case where the head of the family doesn't speak out at all. Just seems odd to me.
I recall reading he was shot at but not injured. I can only imagine the amount of grief and inner turmoil he must be experiencing today. Perhaps even guilt wondering what he missed, where he went wrong, what he could have done to prevent this.
Blake’s Instagram post yesterday speaks volumes to the father and grandfather he is and he states that he and his father in law will get through this together. I am speculating that the father’s priority right now is with Blake, his other 4 children, his remaining 16 grandchildren, and one great grand child.
JMO but I don’t think he owes anything to the public at least not right now. Anything he says will likely be twisted and attacked. Honestly not sure what he could possibly say anyway.
Today my thoughts are with him. Prayers to him for strength and inner peace.

As in medical, you mean brain lesion right? Makes sense. I know you're right about consistency in taking their meds. And most are not in a controlled environment to make sure they are compliant. One reason for so many homeless and on the streets.. but that's a convo for another day and doesn't apply here. Thanks for your informed opinion.
There is a whole laundry list of medical conditions that can cause psychosis. I work on a pediatric neuro unit so the majority of cases where I see this waxing and wanning phenomena particularly with adolescents is a result of an infection (bacterial or viral) that causes encephalopathy (inflammation of the brain) or autoimmune encephalopathy (post infectious when your own antibodies attack your brain).

I recall reading he was shot at but not injured. I can only imagine the amount of grief and inner turmoil he must be experiencing today. Perhaps even guilt wondering what he missed, where he went wrong, what he could have done to prevent this.
Blake’s Instagram post yesterday speaks volumes to the father and grandfather he is and he states that he and his father in law will get through this together. I am speculating that the father’s priority right now is with Blake, his other 4 children, his remaining 16 grandchildren, and one great grand child.
JMO but I don’t think he owes anything to the public at least not right now. Anything he says will likely be twisted and attacked. Honestly not sure what he could possibly say anyway.
Today my thoughts are with him. Prayers to him for strength and inner peace.

Thank you for posting this. I did not see Blake's Instagram post nor was I aware of it. I'm glad Dad was referred to and I'm glad they are coping together. I know they both are devastated. And regardless of the circumstances Matthew is his son and no matter what, you love them. What a horrible position he's in. I'm glad they are a family of strong faith. I think one of the son's is a minister. I hope if it is pathological he can be fixed. If not what a miserable existence for him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ashnic86
Back