VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks MJPeony! :)

Lillymac - I do recall an article or 2 that mentioned him. I remember one that said he had been injured & don't recall what the other one said about him, but I do recall he was mentioned.
Sorry - I'm not much help.... :rolleyes:
Thanks Niner. I saw that mentioned too. I think I actually read he was taken to the hospital. Then I heard nothing else about him or from him. I was just concerned about him.

It's such a difficult situation when a family member murders their own.

If the offender is a stranger or someone outside of the family then they can support each other as the seek justice for the perpetrator to be punished. Once justice has been served if convicted they can have some semblance of peace knowing the offender has been brought to justice, and sent to prison most likely for the rest of their lives.

However, it must be so unbelievably difficult when the violent offender was also a family member.

Imo, they will never be able to fully detach themselves when it comes to WHO took their loved ones from them.

When it's one of their own it has to feel like the ultimate betrayal even far worse than even if it was done by a close trusted friend.

Imo, I don't think any guilt was involved as another poster mentioned as to why the murderer was left out of his sister's obit.

I have seen other obits where the taker of life was also omitted, rightfully so imo.

And really why should he be included when he is the very reason for his sister, and their precious little baby's death in the first place?

Jmho
To lose a child is devastating and you blame anyone and everything you can, including yourself.
I lost my son in a motorcycle accident 4 years ago August 28th and I would like to destroy every motorcycle I see. Totally irrational, but true. It becomes your own personal hell. I feel so sorry for all that family. The question is why did it have to happen and the question won't be answered for us here on Earth.

To lose a child is devastating and you blame anyone and everything you can, including yourself.
I lost my son in a motorcycle accident 4 years ago August 28th and I would like to destroy every motorcycle I see. Totally irrational, but true. It becomes your own personal hell. I feel so sorry for all that family. The question is why did it have to happen and the question won't be answered for us here on Earth.
I’m so sorry

Thank you for posting this. I did not see Blake's Instagram post nor was I aware of it. I'm glad Dad was referred to and I'm glad they are coping together. I know they both are devastated. And regardless of the circumstances Matthew is his son and no matter what, you love them. What a horrible position he's in. I'm glad they are a family of strong faith. I think one of the son's is a minister. I hope if it is pathological he can be fixed. If not what a miserable existence for him.
My apologies, I Didn’t mean for this sound like you should have known, more than I was trying to say where I saw the father also mentioned without appearing to be sleuthing BB. BB posted a public twitter and Instagram, heartbreaking, beautiful tribute to his family yesterday where he lovingly mentioned his father in law. MOO

My apologies, I Didn’t mean for this sound like you should have known, more than I was trying to say where I saw the father also mentioned without appearing to be sleuthing BB. BB posted a public twitter and Instagram, heartbreaking, beautiful tribute to his family yesterday where he lovingly mentioned his father in law. MOO
Oh no, I didn't take it that way at all. I appreciate your posting that. I'm sorry I missed BB's postings. I'm just thankful they're together in this. I'm going to see if I can find them..thanks again!

Police seized 46 items from 1949 Keeling Drive, the address where Matthew, Joan, Emily and Cullen resided.

A deceased dog was also found.

Some of the items that police took from the home include:
3 cell phones,6 cartridge cases, a sledgehammer,1 empty Remington ammo box, a Marlin Rifle a .22 revolver, 1 bullet and bullet fragments, blood draw, $583.00 in cash, a baby monitor, and nail clippings and a pair of nail clippers.
One week after triple homicide: suspect awaits court, family and community continue to grieve

Police seized 46 items from 1949 Keeling Drive, the address where Matthew, Joan, Emily and Cullen resided.

A deceased dog was also found.

Some of the items that police took from the home include:
3 cell phones,6 cartridge cases, a sledgehammer,1 empty Remington ammo box, a Marlin Rifle a .22 revolver, 1 bullet and bullet fragments, blood draw, $583.00 in cash, a baby monitor, and nail clippings and a pair of nail clippers.
One week after triple homicide: suspect awaits court, family and community continue to grieve
Thanks this article lists even more items and states more charges could be added

The items seized by the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office included:

Five cell phones, one of which was an iPhone

Six cartridge cases

One rewards card

One sledgehammer

Three gel lifts

One ammo box

One vehicle key

One silver knife

One Marlin rifle

14 swabs

One paint chip

One .22 revolver

One bullet

Three laptops

Miscellaneous papers

$583 cash

Two nail clippings

One gunshot residue kit

Blood drawn

One baby monitor

One bullet fragment

48 items seized by police in Keeling Drive triple homicide

Arraignment scheduled for Thursday in triple murder case (with clip)

Sep 4, 2019

"PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — It’s a slow start for the case of Matthew Bernard, who is charged with killing his sister, nephew, and mother.

The arraignment, a reading of the charges in court, is scheduled for Thursday morning, nine days after his arrest....

Bernard faces three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of using a firearm to commit a felony...."

Arraignment scheduled for Thursday in triple murder case

Thursday, Sept. 5th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 8:30am ET) – VA – Emily Marie Bernard Bivens (25), Cullen Micah Bivens (14 mos.) & Joan Denise Jefferson Bernard (62) (August 27, 2019, Pittsylvania) - *Matthew Thomas Bernard (19) (bro of Emily, son of Joan) arrested & charged (8/27/19) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder & 3 counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony. Held with bond. On suicide watch.
Matthew will be arraigned in Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court. Anything else will take place in Circuit Court.
8/28/19 Update: Arraignment hearing was cancelled, as Bernard was hospitalized. Arraignment hearing scheduled for 9/5.

97x32px-LL-40ad66f8_thanx.gif
Momof4RN!

Warrant: Police recover bloodied clothes day after triple homicide

Sep 6, 2019

"A search warrant obtained Friday, Sept. 6 from the Pittsylvania County Circuit Court Clerk's Office states police recovered bloodied clothes from a wooded area about a mile from 1949 Keeling Drive on Wednesday, Aug. 28.

According to the warrant, a white t-shirt, blue sweatpants, and Nike shoes were found lying on the ground one day after Joan Denise Jefferson Bernard, 62; Emily Bernard Bivens, 25; and Cullen Micah Bivens, 14 months old were all found dead at 1949 Keeling Drive Tuesday, Aug. 27.

"The clothing appeared to have red stains and what could possibly be particles of human tissue on them," the warrant states.

During the day Aug. 27, Matthew Thomas Bernard, 18, was apprehended naked on Keeling Drive.

The warrant also states the rifle that was recovered was found nearly a 100 yards from the residence in a wooded area...."

Warrant: Police recover bloodied clothes day after triple homicide

Experts: Insanity defense is difficult to use in court

Sept 7, 2019

The first public glimpse of Matthew Bernard as a crime suspect occurred as he emerged naked from a tree line and ran around front of a group of reporters armed with cameras.

Upon arrest, he is reported by authorities to have repeatedly slammed his head into the cage inside a police car and needed treatment at two hospitals, where he was put on suicide watch.

The behavior of Bernard — now charged in a triple-homicide — soon prompted some family and friends to question his mental health, with one cousin publicly stating that he likely was unaware of his actions. A police investigator even noted the "erratic behavior" in a search warrant as a reason to test his blood for intoxicating substances.
Even so, experts caution that odd behavior and questions of mental health might not be enough to explain Bernard’s actions in a Virginia court, should his defense attorneys opt for the insanity defense. For one, the criteria for legal insanity are difficult to prove....

Simply put, defense attorneys would have to prove Bernard didn't realize the crime he is accused of committing was wrong and that he couldn’t stop himself from committing it.

For that reason, defense attorneys in courtrooms nationwide rarely opt to argue that a client is not guilty by reason of insanity, said Liza Gold, a forensic psychiatrist from Arlington.

"The insanity plea is used almost never," she explained. "There aren't really any recent statistics, but those available show that less than 1% of all criminal cases go for the insanity defense."

Of the 1% of defendants who claim insanity, Gold pointed out, only a quarter of them are successful....

"You're either dealing with a defendant who's super cunning and trying to appear insane, or someone with an actual mental health issue," Demleitner said. "I think it's the latter.""

5d67cb3be5acd.image.jpg

Search warrants in Pittsylvania County triple murder provide new details

Sep 9, 2019

"PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Documents obtained by WFXR News are shedding additional light on the Aug. 27 murders of three family members in the Keeling community of Pittsylvania County. Police discovered clothes suspect Matthew Bernard may have been wearing at the time of the murders...

Matthew Bernard’s arraignment is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 12."

Search warrants in Pittsylvania County triple murder provide new details

Image-from-iOS-2.jpg
Image-from-iOS-1.jpg
Image-from-iOS-5-1.jpg

Sept 7, 2019

The first public glimpse of Matthew Bernard as a crime suspect occurred as he emerged naked from a tree line and ran around front of a group of reporters armed with cameras.

Upon arrest, he is reported by authorities to have repeatedly slammed his head into the cage inside a police car and needed treatment at two hospitals, where he was put on suicide watch.

The behavior of Bernard — now charged in a triple-homicide — soon prompted some family and friends to question his mental health, with one cousin publicly stating that he likely was unaware of his actions. A police investigator even noted the "erratic behavior" in a search warrant as a reason to test his blood for intoxicating substances.
Even so, experts caution that odd behavior and questions of mental health might not be enough to explain Bernard’s actions in a Virginia court, should his defense attorneys opt for the insanity defense. For one, the criteria for legal insanity are difficult to prove....

Simply put, defense attorneys would have to prove Bernard didn't realize the crime he is accused of committing was wrong and that he couldn’t stop himself from committing it.

For that reason, defense attorneys in courtrooms nationwide rarely opt to argue that a client is not guilty by reason of insanity, said Liza Gold, a forensic psychiatrist from Arlington.

"The insanity plea is used almost never," she explained. "There aren't really any recent statistics, but those available show that less than 1% of all criminal cases go for the insanity defense."

Of the 1% of defendants who claim insanity, Gold pointed out, only a quarter of them are successful....

"You're either dealing with a defendant who's super cunning and trying to appear insane, or someone with an actual mental health issue," Demleitner said. "I think it's the latter.""

5d67cb3be5acd.image.jpg

What??? I haven't done any research or know any statistics but this guy was found not guilty by reason of insanity like a month ago in Chesterfield VA. He shot a Veteran in front of the his daughter at a gas station. He is either going to be committed to a mental health facility or be released on conditions.
Man accused of killing Chesterfield father at Wawa found not guilty by reason of insanity

And, while he didn't kill anyone (thank God), that soldier who was all over the news when he stole a tank and drove it 60 miles from Blackstone, VA to Richmond, VA was found not guilty by reason of insanity less than a month ago.
Soldier who took military vehicle on Richmond joyride found not guilty by reason of insanity

Also just typing "insanity" in the search bar on wtvr I found where a guy killed 3 people in Dinwiddie VA and in 2015 was found not guilty by reason of insanity for one of the killings and again in 2019 found not guilty by reason of insanity for another one of the murders. He was committed to a mental hospital and was allowed to go home (the home where he previously had shot and killed his father- edited for clarity) on weekends already so that's why the Commonwealth Attorney filed the other charges so that he would be committed and not allowed out- from what I understand at least. It's kind of confusing.
Dinwiddie man tied to multiple murders was allowed out of mental hospital unsupervised

It can't be THAT rare right??? 1/4 of 1% of cases are successfully proven to be not guilty by reason of insanity and all three of these people I listed are included in that 1/4 of 1% and two of the cases happened in the last 30 or so days in Virginia? Yeah idk about that. I think MB will end up in a mental hospital for some time, not his whole life, and will eventually be released. I think all we can really do is hope and pray that this man gets the appropriate help he needs.

Thursday, Sept. 12th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 8:30am ET) – VA – Emily Marie Bernard Bivens (25), Cullen Micah Bivens (14 mos.) & Joan Denise Jefferson Bernard (62) (August 27, 2019, Pittsylvania) - *Matthew Thomas Bernard (19) (bro of Emily, son of Joan) arrested & charged (8/27/19) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder & 3 counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony. Held with bond. On suicide watch.
8/28/19 Update: Arraignment hearing was cancelled, as Bernard was hospitalized. Arraignment hearing scheduled for 9/5.
9/5/19 Update: Arraignment rescheduled for 9/12. Matthew will be arraigned in Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court. Anything else will take place in Circuit Court.

Arraignment for triple murder suspect set for Thursday morning

September 12, 2019

"...19-year-old Matthew Bernard's first court appearance was pushed back because he was in the hospital. His second arraignment was rescheduled for unknown reasons. He is expected to be in court at 8:30 a.m. Thursday. ..."

Arraignment for triple murder suspect set for Thursday morning

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ashnic86