VA - Freshman daughter, mom 'good time drop off' outrages VA university

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do some folks really believe that someone is going to be prosecuted if two intoxicated adults engage in sexual intercourse?

It's not against the law for two drunk adults to have sex.

I think some people are confusing the intention of sexual assault statutes. Sexual assault laws pertaining to incapacitation due to alcohol/drugs are designed to protect unwilling victims from being taken advantage if they're incapable of affirming consent.

Intoxication is not the primary factor. CONSENT is the primary factor.

And consent cannot be given if one is so drunk they cannot stay conscious.

So the 'intention' of the assault statutes is what? It is not the intention to protect ALL incapacitated victims? Why is it considered legally impossible for a drunk girl to give her consent but not legally impossible for this drunk guy to give his?

He was UNCONSCIOUS and she was having sex with him. Under the Affirmative Consent Statues that is rape.

Do some folks really believe that someone is going to be prosecuted if two intoxicated adults engage in sexual intercourse?

It's not against the law for two drunk adults to have sex.

I think some people are confusing the intention of sexual assault statutes. Sexual assault laws pertaining to incapacitation due to alcohol/drugs are designed to protect unwilling victims from being taken advantage if they're incapable of affirming consent.

If someone says: I was too drunk/high to consent to sex and I didn't willingly have sex and this person forced him/herself on me, then that person was raped.

If someone says: I was really drunk/high, but I consented to sex and I wanted to have sex, then that person was not raped.

I don't understand the confusion.

Here is the crux of the situation right here:

YES, someone can be if one of the people come forward months or years later and say they were raped. ALL THEY HAVE TO SAY is that they were drunk and that automatically makes it a rape.

Can you not see the unfairness in that? Any time a woman says she may have consented but she was drunk, then it will be automatically classified as a RAPE because the law says she cannot consent.

So I posted this case to show that it is NOT automatically seen as a rape---even if the victim is UNCONSCIOUs and incapacitated , people here are saying it is not rape, it is just drunk sex.

But if a male tries to use that excuse--it was just drunk consensual sex---the rape tribunals say there is NO SUCH THING---drunk girls cannot consent.

Am I the only one that sees that as problematic? Essentially, any time a girl comes back and decides it was non-consensual--it is automatically considered as such if she had been drinking.

And consent cannot be given if one is so drunk they cannot stay conscious.

So the 'intention' of the assault statutes is what? It is not the intention to protect ALL incapacitated victims? Why is it considered legally impossible for a drunk girl to give her consent but not legally impossible for this drunk guy to give his?

He was UNCONSCIOUS and she was having sex with him. Under the Affirmative Consent Statues that is rape.

According to him, he gave consent.

His own words: 'I'm here trying to clear her name and let them know I consented to that,' he said. 'I just didn't finish the job, as you could say.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...friend-middle-parking-lot-broad-daylight.html

If he was stating that he was sexually assaulted, I'd be supporting him.

If you want to convince him that he was raped, perhaps you could contact him.

I refuse to use this particular incident as a reason to not support rape victims.

If someone says: I was really drunk/high, but I consented to sex and I wanted to have sex, then that person was not raped.

I don't understand the confusion.=============================================

Here is the 'confusion.' If a girl was really drunk and high but 'consented' to have sex, then she WAS RAPED by the current definitions. The male would not be charged if she did not bring charges. But legally she can bring charges against him anytime, even years later. Legally she is not able to consent if she is intoxicated, and especially if she is unconscious.

So the fact that many here are saying this unconscious man was not raped is very surprising to me. Legally he was in no condition to give consent.

According to him, he gave consent.

His own words: 'I'm here trying to clear her name and let them know I consented to that,' he said. 'I just didn't finish the job, as you could say.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...friend-middle-parking-lot-broad-daylight.html

If he was stating that he was sexually assaulted, I'd be supporting him.

If you want to convince him that he was raped, perhaps you could contact him.

I refuse to use this particular incident as a reason to not support rape victims.

How am I not supporting rape victims?

And how is he NOT a rape victim? He was UNCONSCIOUS.

If the male had been on top and having sex with an unconscious woman, NONE of the posters here would have taken his side if he said she had consented.

How am I not supporting rape victims?

And how is he NOT a rape victim? He was UNCONSCIOUS.

He doesn't believe he is a rape victim because he clearly states that he gave consent.

Should his sex partner have disengaged after he passed out? Probably - if she didn't want to be accused of sexual assault.

I don't think this incident is a good example of nonconsensual sex - the guy insists that he consented. If he was claiming that he was sexually assaulted because he passed out, I'd be supporting him.

If you want to try to convince him that he was raped, go for it. Apparently, he doesn't believe he was. He seems rather disappointed that he was "unable to finish the job".

If the male had been on top and having sex with an unconscious woman, NONE of the posters here would have taken his side if he said she had consented.

I think you're missing the most crucial factor regarding consent: A rapist cannot provide consent for the victim.

You stated: "If the male had been on top and having sex with an unconscious woman, NONE of the posters here would have taken his side if he said she had consented."

BBM

You're damn right - I wouldn't take an accused male rapist's side "if he said she had consented".

Nor would I take an accused female rapist's side if she said he'd consented.

Double standard is clear to me. Take for a example a case where teacher is having sex with an under age student. If this teacher is a male, people want him in prison for life (or at least a long time). If this teacher is a female, people say an under age male student should be considering himself lucky.

It's not against the law for two drunk/high adults to have sex.

I think some people are confusing the intention of sexual assault statutes. Sexual assault laws pertaining to incapacitation due to alcohol/drugs are designed to protect unwilling victims from being taken advantage of if they're incapable of affirming consent.

If someone says: I was too drunk/high to consent to sex and I didn't willingly have sex and this person forced him/herself on me, then that person was raped.

I don't understand the confusion.

I see that confusion a lot. People think drunks can't legally consent to sex. It's not true. You have to be incapacitated. The problem comes since nobody really defines what it means to be incapacitated. There is no BAC limits set when to comes to whether someone can consent to sex. That drunk person can be acting as if they are consenting at the time. Later on the drunk can change their mind and say they didn't consent because they were too drunk. So it's not at all clear and straight forward.

I see that confusion a lot. People think drunks can't legally consent to sex. It's not true. You have to be incapacitated. The problem comes since nobody really defines what it means to be incapacitated. There is no BAC limits set when to comes to whether someone can consent to sex. That drunk person can be acting as if they are consenting at the time. Later on the drunk can change their mind and say they didn't consent because they were too drunk. So it's not at all clear and straight forward.

In this case, the 'victim' (who doesn't consider himself a victim) insists that he gave his consent, and has not suggested that he thinks the sex was not consensual. I think it should be his right to say if he consented to something or not, and in this case, he says that he did.

In this case, the 'victim' (who doesn't consider himself a victim) insists that he gave his consent, and has not suggested that he thinks the sex was not consensual. I think it should be his right to say if he consented to something or not, and in this case, he says that he did.

Consent can be withdrawn at any time, and when he is passed out, how does anyone know if he is giving consent or not? Regardless, these two shouldn't be having sex in public.

Consent can be withdrawn at any time, and when he is passed, how does anyone know if he is giving consent or not? Regardless, these two shouldn't be having sex in public.

Well, these two weren't strangers -- they were a couple. Perhaps consent, within the confines of their relationship, includes when one is passed out. At any rate, he insisted that she had consent to do what she did. If, after the event, he were to say that he didn't or wouldn't have given consent for the sex, then I would hope that his girlfriend would be charged with rape. But that didn't happen.

I agree completely about how they shouldn't have been having sex in public, though.

link:
https://rainn.org/get-information/types-of-sexual-assault/was-it-rape

I was asleep or unconscious when it happened – does that mean it isn’t rape?

Rape can happen when the victim was unconscious or asleep. If you were asleep or unconscious, then you didn’t give consent. And if you didn’t give consent, then it is rape.

I was drunk or they were drunk - does that mean it isn't rape?

Alcohol and drugs are not an excuse – or an alibi. The key question is still: did you consent or not? Regardless of whether you were drunk or sober, if the sex is nonconsensual, it is rape. However, because each state has different definitions of “nonconsensual”, please contact your local center or local police if you have questions about this. (If you were so drunk or drugged that you passed out and were unable to consent, it was rape. Both people must be conscious and willing participants.)

"If you were so drunk or drugged that you passed out and were unable to consent, it was rape. Both people must be conscious and willing participants"

This guy is clearly stating that he gave consent and that he was a willing participant.

What's the hang-up here? Is it because he's a guy and not a slutty drunk female?

He passed out mid-coitus - after giving consent and AFTER penetration (seemingly, according to the article). But he insists that he wasn't raped.

Should his sex partner have stopped if/when she realized he was passed out? According to sexual assault laws, yes.

He had already given consent to penetration. He insists that he wasn't sexually assaulted, ergo there's no case to prosecute.

"If you were so drunk or drugged that you passed out and were unable to consent, it was rape. Both people must be conscious and willing participants"

This guy is clearly stating that he gave consent and that he was a willing participant.

What's the hang-up here? Is it because he's a guy and not a slutty drunk female?

He passed out mid-coitus - after giving consent and AFTER penetration (seemingly, according to the article). But he insists that he wasn't raped.

Should his sex partner have stopped if/when she realized he was passed out? According to sexual assault laws, yes.

He had already given consent to penetration. He insists that he wasn't sexually assaulted, ergo there's no case to prosecute.

Read that statement again:"If you were so drunk or drugged that you passed out and were unable to consent, it was rape. Both people must be conscious and willing participants"

see the word 'AND?'

BOTH PEOPLE must be conscious AND willing participants. Not OR, but AND. The man was not conscious therefor he was not legally able to consent.

Go to any college campus right now. If any male was having sex with an unconscious female it would be considered rape. EVEN IF SHE SAID SHE CONSENTED it would be considered a rape because legally she cannot consent if she was so drunk that she passed out during the sex.

Everyone here said ^^^ that to me multiple times. I used that example and people screamed at me that any guy having sex with an unconscious girl is a creepy rapist. Funny how this case is just labeled as 'drunken sex' since it is a female on top of the unconscious male.

Why are people denying that the unconscious male is not legally able to consent?

But he cannot consent because he was too intoxicated to legally give his consent.

Well, these two weren't strangers -- they were a couple. Perhaps consent, within the confines of their relationship, includes when one is passed out. At any rate, he insisted that she had consent to do what she did. If, after the event, he were to say that he didn't or wouldn't have given consent for the sex, then I would hope that his girlfriend would be charged with rape. But that didn't happen.

I agree completely about how they shouldn't have been having sex in public, though.

Question: If you have a drunk girl at your house and she consents to sex is it still rape?
Cleveland, OH | on Aug 13, 2013

It does not matter if they were a couple or not. That does not affect sexual battery charges.

Potentially, yes. It can also be sexual battery. Here's some Ohio law on point.

R.C. 2907.03 Sexual battery.

(A) No person shall engage in sexual conduct with another, not the spouse of the offender, when any of the following apply:

(2) The offender knows that the other person's ability to appraise the nature of or control the other person's own conduct is substantially impaired.

R.C. 2907.02 Rape.

(A)

(1) No person shall engage in sexual conduct with another who is not the spouse of the offender or who is the spouse of the offender but is living separate and apart from the offender, when any of the following applies:

(a) For the purpose of preventing resistance, the offender substantially impairs the other person's judgment or control by administering any drug, intoxicant, or controlled substance to the other person surreptitiously or by force, threat of force, or deception.

(c) The other person's ability to resist or consent is substantially impaired because of a mental or physical condition or because of advanced age, and the offender knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the other person's ability to resist or consent is substantially impaired because of a mental or physical condition or because of advanced age.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/if-you-have-a-drunk-girl-at-your-house-and-she-con-1368191.html

Here is the crux of the situation right here:

YES, someone can be if one of the people come forward months or years later and say they were raped. ALL THEY HAVE TO SAY is that they were drunk and that automatically makes it a rape.

Can you not see the unfairness in that? Any time a woman says she may have consented but she was drunk, then it will be automatically classified as a RAPE because the law says she cannot consent.

So I posted this case to show that it is NOT automatically seen as a rape---even if the victim is UNCONSCIOUs and incapacitated , people here are saying it is not rape, it is just drunk sex.

But if a male tries to use that excuse--it was just drunk consensual sex---the rape tribunals say there is NO SUCH THING---drunk girls cannot consent.

Am I the only one that sees that as problematic? Essentially, any time a girl comes back and decides it was non-consensual--it is automatically considered as such if she had been drinking.

I think it's not an analogous case and not definitive evidence of a double standard until Earl comes back and says it was nonconsensual and he wants Kim prosecuted. If he says he was sexually assaulted, by all means prosecute and try to make it stick, but if he doesn't feel like a victim of rape I'm not sure the legal system should try to force victimhood upon him. It's just the same with females I think. If they say they weren't sexually assaulted, ain't nothing that the police will do about it, even if they were drunk as skunks and clearly incapacitated.

BBM. The point is not, IMO, what the alleged possible rapist (male or female) says about the victim consenting but what the alleged potential victim (male or female) says about the victim consenting. If the drunk girl who may or may not have been raped says the male is right and she consented, it is probably the end of the matter. She was not raped or if she was, it is very unlikely that it will be prosecuted since she has decided not to complain.

Likewise, Kim could say that Earl consented until the cows come home, and it might be just an excuse to cover up sexual assault, but if Earl says that Earl consented, that's case closed as far as courts are concerned. It is quite hard to successfully prosecute a rape case in which the victim is not a minor and says that he or she consented to the sex. I think he should probably be allowed that much agency to decide if he wants it to be treated as consensual.

Or she, if it happened to be the female who passed out. I confess that I have fallen asleep in the middle of a consensual intercourse with a long time partner a couple of times and I would have been mighty upset if he got thrown in jail for anything that happened afterwards. I don't think I was raped in that instance, but it would feel quite different to find out that some college kids found me sleeping and decided to have their way with me.

If both parties agree that it was consensual, there's nothing more for the courts to do there IMO. That's the definition of consensual: both parties agree. The police primarily has a role to play in determining the facts when there is a disagreement and one party says it was consensual and another party says it wasn't.

However, if Earl consented to the public sex and isn't just lying to protect his girlfriend why was she the only one who got arrested?

But Kim and Earl both look like they need some serious rehab more than they need the sex offender registry I think.

NO, that is not what has been stated here many times. It has been clearly said here that a drunk woman CANNOT CONSENT. The drunk person cannot wake up and say they 'consented' because consent is not possible when one is intoxicated. And it is certainly not possible while one is unconscious.

So it is quite shocking to me that you are now saying this was a consensual act. The man was UNCONSCIOUS, lying in the middle of the street while she was having sex with him. And you are seriously saying that is not rape? How can it not be rape given the definition of consent. He could not legally have given consent while intoxicated. Or is that just reserved for women?

Does he consider himself a victim? Has he sought the pursuit of charges? This is absolutely no different than a passed out female who doesn't consider herself a victim and refuses to pursue charges. If no one goes to authorities, a rape isn't a rape even when and if it's a rape. A guy is acquitted of murder but that a) doesn't mean the murder didn't happen or b) that the accused didn't in fact commit the murder - it just means there wasn't proof beyond a reasonable doubt to prove his culpability. In the same vein, if a rape victim is unwilling to concede they were in fact raped, exactly how is that case supposed to be prosecuted?

If a rape victim doesn't feel they were raped, it doesn't change the black and white legal facts, but it most assuredly does change the outcome.

JMO and FWIW

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilb
Back