VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're on FB; please join the event & share. It was created to get Jason's face out there. Note; the event is 1995 Grateful Dead at RFK Stadium the concert Jason attended.

1995 Grateful dead @Rfk stadium - Invite all your friends this is to help get more awareness to the unidentified man possibly named Jason was killed after a grateful dead concert in June 1995 the dates of the concert were June 24 & 25 1995 at the Rfk stadium in Washington, D.C.. If you know anyone that went to the concert add them to the group or just keep sharing his flyer someone has to know something. I'll keep adding more info as I get it ready. For more info see his NamUs page

If you are on FB; can you please help the Grateful Doe FB page owner Alyssa get her FB profile back? The way the FB staff decides what is a priority to fix; they look at how many votes an error topic has. The more votes; the faster they will fix it. The other 2 links had to be abandoned because no matter how many votes it had; it would not show on the topic page; so someone made a new post. Please click on good question; it will upvote the post. Give your friends the link & ask them to upvote too please.

Make sure you do not hit good question twice because it removes your vote. Thank you!

Sorry, this feature isn't available right now. Facebook glitch?

Link to her FB post.

One thing that I would like to note, if it had not been mentioned before, is his shoes and socks. Fila shoes were rather expensive and semi-elitist during this time. They were not "popular" with Deadheads that much. Not many Deadheads I knew wore athletic shoes or Filas or white socks. It would be interesting to figure out where that style of shoe was popular in the USA during the time and what cliches of people bought them/wore them.

I also agree with many of you that die hard dead fans did not purchase concert shirts. So, we can guess he was not a regular on the circuit. Unless his stuff got mixed in with the van owners, it is very odd as a dead head he didn't have any personal items. I have to say, I doubt someone took his stuff. People who travel a lot with the dead keep good track of their stuff.

Do we know anything about his hygiene? Had he shaved recently? I am looking at places where dead shows were held in 1995. A lot of East Coast shows during the summer.

Here are a couple of cases that have not been ruled out on Namus...

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/584/11 Alan Morse

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/532/14 Chris Zahn

One thing that I would like to note, if it had not been mentioned before, is his shoes and socks. Fila shoes were rather expensive and semi-elitist during this time. They were not "popular" with Deadheads that much. Not many Deadheads I knew wore athletic shoes or Filas or white socks. It would be interesting to figure out where that style of shoe was popular in the USA during the time and what cliches of people bought them/wore them.

I also agree with many of you that die hard dead fans did not purchase concert shirts. So, we can guess he was not a regular on the circuit. Unless his stuff got mixed in with the van owners, it is very odd as a dead head he didn't have any personal items. I have to say, I doubt someone took his stuff. People who travel a lot with the dead keep good track of their stuff.

Do we know anything about his hygiene? Had he shaved recently? I am looking at places where dead shows were held in 1995. A lot of East Coast shows during the summer.

Here are a couple of cases that have not been ruled out on Namus...

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/584/11 Alan Morse

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/532/14 Chris Zahn

Chris Zahn was most likely killed April 1992.

attachment.php

Alan Morse
19 years old Date last seen October 01, 1989
DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete

Morse was last seen in Austell, Georgia in October 1989.
At the time of his disappearance Alan Lee Morse was an Air Traffic Controller for the U. S. Navy stationed at Naval Air Station in Bermuda. Morse came home to Cobb County, Georgia on leave in October 1989 and at the end of his leave period was to have returned to Bermuda. At th end of his leave Morse told his Mother he would see her at Christmas and left. That night someone from the NAS in Bermuda called Morse's father looking for Morse.
It was soon learned that Morse had told his mother that his father would take him to the airport for the return trip and told his father that his mother would take him. Based on this inconsistency, the assumption was made that Morse had gone AWOL.
Early efforts to list Alan as missing met with reluctance since there was no apparent evidence of foul play. Alan's disappearance and subsequent lack of contact with family is completely out of character for Alan in that he enjoyed an unusually close relationship with other family members. A missing person report was taken in 2007.
The Navy has advised Alan's family that they will not prosecute Alan for being AWOL

attachment.php

Chris Zahn 21 years old Date last seen April 28, 1992
DNA Status: Sample is currently not available

Details of Disappearance Zahn traveled from his native Switzerland to the United States in 1992. He planned to make a tour of the country's major cities and national parks. After arriving in Florida, took an overnight bus ride from Jacksonville, Florida to Atlanta, Georgia on April 28. He checked into the American Hotel across the street from the bus station in Atlanta. Zahn placed a phone call to his travel agent in Orange County, Florida at approximately 4:15 p.m. later in the day. He called from a pay phone in Tucker, Georgia at a Denny's restaurant on Mountain Industrial Boulevard, and confirmed a May 19 reservation in Las Vegas, Nevada. Zahn has never been heard from again.

Zahn's credit card was used 31 times between April 30 and May 11, 1992 in Cobb and Carroll Counties in Georgia. The card paid for $2,800 worth of liquor, motel rooms, cologne, jewelry and other items. Harry Eugene Hale was arrested in February 1993 and convicted of credit card fraud in Zahn's case in October of that year. Photos of Hale are posted below this case summary. He admitted to using the card, but says Zahn allowed him to do it in order to repay a debt. Hale was a resident of Austell, Georgia at the time of Zahn's 1992 disappearance. He also owned homes in Kentucky and Florida. Hale drove a red 1993 Ford Probe with Georgia license plates in April 1992.

Authorities suspect that Hale may have murdered Zahn in order to utilize his credit cards, but have never discovered enough evidence to charge him in connection with the case. Zahn's cameras, camera bag and an Amish quilt he purchased as a gift for his mother were discovered in Hale's Kentucky home. Investigators said that Hale had a reputation for stalking bus stations and highways searching for young male transients in 1992. He is suspected of drugging and sexually assaulting young men in several states. There is speculation that he was connected to the 1990 disappearance of Mitchell Manns in Kentucky, but he has never been charged in that case.

Zahn's case remains unsolved, but foul play is suspected due to the circumstances involved in his disappearance.

Attachments

• AlanMorse.jpeg
    AlanMorse.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 308
  • ChrisZahn.jpeg
    ChrisZahn.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 13
  • ChrisZahn2.jpeg
    ChrisZahn2.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 304
Thanks, Rose! Alan could be a match. A young man who gets disillusioned by the military and leaves. Then feels he can't go back without going to prison for being AWOL and shaming his family (he wouldn't know the Navy chose not to prosecute). The Dead scene is a great place to fit in without ID or need to use an ID/SSN, etc. And if it was Alan, the shoe/sock combo would be similar to someone with military training. I think it is worth looking into.

He apparently told a friend he wanted to desert the miltary...

http://seanmunger.com/2013/10/06/disappeared-alan-morse-missing-24-years/

Thanks, Rose! Alan could be a match. A young man who gets disillusioned by the military and leaves. Then feels he can't go back without going to prison for being AWOL and shaming his family (he wouldn't know the Navy chose not to prosecute). The Dead scene is a great place to fit in without ID or need to use an ID/SSN, etc. And if it was Alan, the shoe/sock combo would be similar to someone with military training. I think it is worth looking into.

There's more.. Alan Morse -
There is some evidence that Alan deserted the Navy. Evidently he told a friend that he was unhappy with the service. The deception involving the airport ride seems to suggest that he vanished voluntarily. Many years later, in the 2000s, the Navy contacted Alan’s father and said they wouldn’t prosecute him for desertion if he ever turned up. The senior Morse hired a private eye, who discovered a friend of Alan’s who took him to a bus station after he left his parents. Again, this suggests a voluntary disappearance.

But what happened to Alan Morse after that? After the bus station the trail goes totally cold. The long lapse in law enforcement interest in the case–no one even opened a file until 2007–means that important leads were lost and memories faded. No trace of this young man has been found since 1989. We don’t even seem to know where he was going on that bus, much less whether he made it there.

There's more.. Alan Morse -
There is some evidence that Alan deserted the Navy. Evidently he told a friend that he was unhappy with the service. The deception involving the airport ride seems to suggest that he vanished voluntarily. Many years later, in the 2000s, the Navy contacted Alan’s father and said they wouldn’t prosecute him for desertion if he ever turned up. The senior Morse hired a private eye, who discovered a friend of Alan’s who took him to a bus station after he left his parents. Again, this suggests a voluntary disappearance.

But what happened to Alan Morse after that? After the bus station the trail goes totally cold. The long lapse in law enforcement interest in the case–no one even opened a file until 2007–means that important leads were lost and memories faded. No trace of this young man has been found since 1989. We don’t even seem to know where he was going on that bus, much less whether he made it there.

Wonder if this uid could possibly be Alan Morse? Scroll down for large pic. posted by CarlK90245 # 10

CANADA Canada - Cochrane, AB - White, Male, 18 - 30 yrs, 13 Oct 2012 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Unlikely. His prints would have been on file.

Because he was in the Navy you mean?
Are you sure? I just really want it to be a possible match because there hasn't been a lot of those lately. And I do see the resemblance to Jason Doe's sketch.

Unfortunately I don't know nearly enough about these Things but would Allan Morse (if Jason were him) pop up if they ran Jason's fingerprints through some system? Or is there any chance they have to specifically compare the two to each other?

I also don't know how likely it is that LE would run a test of some sort to check out Morse as a possible match, but maybe it's worth trying?

Unfortunately I feel pretty convinced that it was not a car accident that caused Christopher Zahn to remain missing.

That is a good point. I would be interested to know if the FBI fingerprint database was up and running nationwide in 1989 and had processed fingerprints from the mid-1980's. I would image not all prints made it into the database from before the databases time as it became more widespread, especially if he wasn't active duty. I am not sure the legality of placing old and not needed fingerprints in a system is...I am not sure how fingerprints are run, but, my guess is it is a long tedious process. Seems like going back and entering all fingerprints for every military veteran who served prior to the database becoming a norm would be really time consuming. Maybe they did. Ideas?

Because he was in the Navy you mean?
Are you sure? I just really want it to be a possible match because there hasn't been a lot of those lately. And I do see the resemblance to Jason Doe's sketch.

Unfortunately I don't know nearly enough about these Things but would Allan Morse (if Jason were him) pop up if they ran Jason's fingerprints through some system? Or is there any chance they have to specifically compare the two to each other?

I also don't know how likely it is that LE would run a test of some sort to check out Morse as a possible match, but maybe it's worth trying?

Unfortunately I feel pretty convinced that it was not a car accident that caused Christopher Zahn to remain missing.

I agree, I am not sure if the military, FBI, criminal systems overlapped at that time or how that works...I don't think without prompting they run fingerprints all the time. IDK, but I have a feeling the databases were separate for awhile and if Alan was not active duty they might not have been checked.

Something else... besides Alan Morse's prints on file, he is a heck of a lot taller than our missing Grateful Dead fan. Alan is about 6'2" tall (see his info: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/584/5 and our "Jason" is 5'8" tall. So that is a big difference of 6", which probably rules out Alan. I really thought he looked like our guy :(

But, when looking at the fact that over 200 missing person's cases have been ruled out as a match, and seeing that after all of these years that all of these clues and clear images have turned up nothing.... it may be that this is a fellow from perhaps Canada, straight up north. I started looking for cases that date back a few years before 1995, and my next post will have the results. A possible person to consider or rule out :)

Okay, as promised! I did find one obscure case of a young male who went missing from the St. John's area, Newfoundland, in 1993. His name is Jason, but there are no photos, and barely a mention of him anywhere, though the case is still open. So I sent an email to the constabulary to see if they can piece together more details for us. Will keep you posted if I hear back. FWIW, it would explain why we haven't seen closure on this case, with so many looking, so many clues. Here is what I wrote to the RNC:
To Whom This May Concern:

We are trying to eliminate more potential missing young adults from a possible match to a still-unidentified young male found deceased in a motor vehicle accident in 1995, in Virginia, United States. Due to the fact his hair had grown out, and that for years, no identification with the US has been made (see the giant list of missing persons that have been ruled out in this link: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6095 To see all of the names that have been ruled out, click on the “Show All Exclusions (205)” link) I am seeking a photo or description of your 1993 missing Jason Lane. That same first name – Jason – was found scratched on a note in our unidentified male’s jacket pocket, from two girls, both named Caroline.

As there have been no reports in the US to connect with the young “Jason” found in 1995, I believe there is a possibility that your missing Jason could be the same person, having hitched a ride to Virginia and been out on his own for a couple of years.

Do you have a photo or description anywhere of your missing Jason Lane from 1993 in Newfoundland, St. John’s area? Here is all that I could find in reference to him on the web:
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=2773.msg30044#msg30044

Please let me know you received this important email, and if you have any information to share that will allow us to move this forward. Thank you very much for your time,

Maybe a slim possibility, and hopefully will hear back, yea or nay...

There is an online obituary for a Jason Albert Lane, who went missing in March 2002. His body was identified by the authorities in November 2005. Jason A. Lane attended college in Nova Scotia. This is much later than "your" Jason Lane and a little bit different location. I assume it is a different person.

There is an online obituary for a Jason Albert Lane, who went missing in March 2002. His body was identified by the authorities in November 2005. Jason A. Lane attended college in Nova Scotia. This is much later than "your" Jason Lane and a little bit different location. I assume it is a different person.

Yes, agree, it is very likely a different Jason Lane, about a 1000 miles away. Interesting the coincidence, though! Wonder if Jason in Newfoundland left town and no one knew....
Edit: Sad: Here's the background on the murdered Jason Albert Lane, a resident of Ipperwash - go to page 53 of this PDF (how he was found, before forensics identified the remains as his): http://www.caledoniawakeupcall.com/canace/HumanCost-du.pdf Looks to be a resident far from where the other Jason Lane missing in 1993.

I posted them under the "Robert Houk" thread on the "Possible Matches" page. I am very new at this and apologize if I posted them in the wrong place. I would like to hear other opinions from more experienced WS members on any of the 7 young men suggested. I am not saying that any of them are Jason, but none of their names appear on the rule out list. I tried to include the reason that that particular person caught my attention.

I am taking Jason's height as an estimate, so I did include some people who are listed as being taller. AS someone posted earlier, the fact that it has been almost 20 years and Jason is still uid is also making me wonder if something in the description is way off.

There's a Jason Lane living in St. John's who is very much alive and well. Perhaps even the same as that missing person or perhaps related to the missing Jason Lane.

There's a Jason Lane living in St. John's who is very much alive and well. Perhaps even the same as that missing person or perhaps related to the missing Jason Lane.

Very cool - could be one and the same :) It's almost like we found someone :) Hopefully we'll have some sort of confirmation from the constabulary. Nice job, llg!

I posted them under the "Robert Houk" thread on the "Possible Matches" page. I am very new at this and apologize if I posted them in the wrong place. I would like to hear other opinions from more experienced WS members on any of the 7 young men suggested. I am not saying that any of them are Jason, but none of their names appear on the rule out list. I tried to include the reason that that particular person caught my attention.

I am taking Jason's height as an estimate, so I did include some people who are listed as being taller. AS someone posted earlier, the fact that it has been almost 20 years and Jason is still uid is also making me wonder if something in the description is way off.

Thanks, rainwater! I don't know where to post the possible matches, but here is your list, and I'll start looking into these and hopefully others as well. Maybe if we narrow it down to "very possible" candidates, they can be posted individually on the possible matches page? I guess that is how it works ;) Here's your list:
Mr. Houk was worth a try. I have spent the last couple of days researching and I would like to suggest the following 7 names to WS that I have not seen mentioned as possible "Jasons" before. I could not find ANY of these on the "Ruled OUT" list on Jason's Namus page.(It now exceeds 200 ruled out names). I am very new at this- I have not yet figured out how to link. I would like to hear other WS members' opinions on any or all of these. For the following names I have used as criteria height 5'7"- 6 feet and brown or blonde hair. I noticed NAMUS has now changed "Jason's" eye and hair color from blond red to brown and changed his eyes from blue to brown.
1. Douglas Alan Davis (Doe Ntwk MP1274 dmca missing since 3/21/1995. Age 39
2. John Podniestrzanski (NAMUS MP13982; Doe Ntwk MP1264 DMFL)
3. Donald Jean Belliveau (Doe Ntwk MP3885 DMAB) supposedly went hiking in Canada in the middle of winter-missing since Jan 27, 1995. Aged 28 Hiking in a Canadian winter seems odd to me.
4. Robin Read- aged 15 (Doe Ntwk MP1293 DMCA) left his family a note saying he felt "unwanted"-LE believes he may have jumped off Golden Gate Bridge, but has never been proven and he has never been found. Missing since Jan. 24, 1995.
5. Shawn Hale (Doe NtWk MP4290 dmca; NAMUS MP7546) missing since Nov. 4, 1994- had argument with parent, stormed out of house, and has not been seen since. Age 19 yrs.
The next two are long shots, but you never know.

6. Milan Grizold (Doe Ntwk MP2258 dmsvn) missing since Nov 27, 1994. Believed to be headed for Singapore. If he was heading for Singapore he obviously had a passport and could have traveled to U.S. I'm not saying he did, but it is possible.
7. John Bornos (NAMUS MP1722) missing since 4/19/1993. was at a family gathering, claimed he felt ill, and stepped outside for air. He seemingly vanished into the air. His abandoned vehicle was found a week later approximately 7 miles away from the home.

Thanks for that, too! :)

One note: I think the height of 68" is probably very accurate. They had is body to measure at the coroner's office, and they are usually very accurate with that, I believe, IMO...

Okay, here's the first one I would suggest we cross off the list:
1. Douglas Alan Davis (Doe Ntwk MP1274 dmca missing since 3/21/1995. Age 39

He was about 20 years too old, and too tall. Plus, his natural hair color is red, vs. our Grateful Doe is light brown or blondish. Grateful Doe's description had mentioned that it had been artificially colored red (disguising it??).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielrosini