VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The accident happened around 1:30 in the afternoon.

58 is the most direct route, but no where near the fastest. When that was my territory, I quickly learned that 58 is a nightmare road. Lots of speed traps, small towns, and deadly accidents.

The fastest route between Hayes and Inman would be 60-295-85. A lot of folks accidentally take 95 instead of 85 and have to cut back over via the Emporia exit.

58 is the most direct route, but no where near the fastest. When that was my territory, I quickly learned that 58 is a nightmare road. Lots of speed traps, small towns, and deadly accidents.

The fastest route between Hayes and Inman would be 60-295-85. A lot of folks accidentally take 95 instead of 85 and have to cut back over via the Emporia exit.

Or the route was taken because the hitchhiker lived (or his destination was) along that route...

Classito

Thanks for this information, not have ever been anywhere near there I was assuming Jason was picked up on the 58 somewhere but now you've explained the logistics it makes perfect sense that Hager would have gone the way you suggested. But being that he took the 95 instead of the 85 since he was local is a bit odd. Do you think it was a slip or do you think perhaps he detoured for a reason?

As Jason was heading Southwest, his destination wouldn't likely be much more than halfway between washington and florida as there was a concert there some weeks prior. This is assuming he had a home to go to. If you were drifting, why would you head that way? For the warmth of Florida? It was warm at that time of year as checked in historic weather charts and also lack of warm clothing.

I am not able to start new threads, but wanted to submit this person as a possible match. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/morse_alan.html

The very first photo is strikingly similar to the composite and reconstruction. Also this person was missing since 1989 but only finally taken seriously by LE and lodged in 2007.

Could someone please give some feedback and possibly post it if possible.

I would look to see if Alan Morse has been added to NamUS yet. He is reported to be about 4 inches taller than Grateful Doe, but that doesn't always mean anything. There are some striking resemblances in the photos, and the fact that there was no missing report for almost 20 years makes this an interesting possibility.

I would also double check that Mr. Morse is not on the ruled out list.

Salem

Mr. Morse is listed in NamUS: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/584/0/

It appears that there is DNA on file. Not sure when the tests were done.

Hello,

First post here but I have been following this case closely and reading the threads for the last few months.

In my opinion, Alan Morse looks like a really good possibility...one of the closest that I have seen thus far. The only thing that would make me hesitate is the area between his lower lip and chin looks different than Jason Doe's but since Grateful Doe had serious facial lacerations and it was a challenge to do the recon, it could be that they 'missed' his dimpled chin.

I would suggest trying to submit and see what happens. Good luck and great eye!

I would look to see if Alan Morse has been added to NamUS yet. He is reported to be about 4 inches taller than Grateful Doe, but that doesn't always mean anything. There are some striking resemblances in the photos, and the fact that there was no missing report for almost 20 years makes this an interesting possibility.

I would also double check that Mr. Morse is not on the ruled out list.

Salem

Mr. Morse is listed in NamUS: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/584/0/

It appears that there is DNA on file. Not sure when the tests were done.

Grateful Doe is not one of my main cases so someone can correct me if I'm wrong; but I'm pretty sure he has been submitted & ruled out.

Hello,

First post here but I have been following this case closely and reading the threads for the last few months.

In my opinion, Alan Morse looks like a really good possibility...one of the closest that I have seen thus far. The only thing that would make me hesitate is the area between his lower lip and chin looks different than Jason Doe's but since Grateful Doe had serious facial lacerations and it was a challenge to do the recon, it could be that they 'missed' his dimpled chin.

I would suggest trying to submit and see what happens. Good luck and great eye!

Welcome to Ws. bradfordsleuth and thanks for deciding to chime in!
I agree that A.M. looks very much like Jason, but if it is not him, will keep that dimpled chin in mind when looking at other uid's.

ruleout IF the same types of DNA were compared (mtDNA to mt DNA, for example.) They will not list automatic ruleouts via computer on NAMUS-only hand-comparisons. If the UID has mtDNA and the MP has another DNA type entered, the computer will not compare or match the different types of DNA. The way I think of it is that basically, the computer has to compare apples to apples. It cannot compare apples to oranges. We have no way of knowing which type of DNA is entered for whom. (probably not grammatically correct, but you get the idea).

ruleout IF the same types of DNA were compared (mtDNA to mt DNA, for example.) They will not list automatic ruleouts via computer on NAMUS-only hand-comparisons. If the UID has mtDNA and the MP has another DNA type entered, the computer will not compare or match the different types of DNA. The way I think of it is that basically, the computer has to compare apples to apples. It cannot compare apples to oranges. We have no way of knowing which type of DNA is entered for whom. (probably not grammatically correct, but you get the idea).

Yes, rainwater, this is true. And it means that NamUs has to manually compare the DNA. This may be why Mr. Morse does not show up on the rule out list - because the manual comparison has not been done yet? I don't know, but you would think there had been plenty of time by now? I know they do have large case loads, so it probably does take some time.

Salem

Yes, rainwater, this is true. And it means that NamUs has to manually compare the DNA. This may be why Mr. Morse does not show up on the rule out list - because the manual comparison has not been done yet? I don't know, but you would think there had been plenty of time by now? I know they do have large case loads, so it probably does take some time.

Salem

I sent the page a PM; I will post back if they reply.
My guess is that he's ruled out by default since they both have DNA in the system. :(

that the Virginia LE office was overwhelmed and they turned the comparisons over to the state of Virginia medical examiner. There are several different groups of people, including this group, and including Grateful Dead fans, who have been submitting names. The last I heard they had a large backlog of comparisons to make, so it will probably be a long wait for results for any names that are/have been submitted. Grateful Doe does have a FB page (actually there are more than one) that different people have set up. One of those pages is trying to reach people who attended the concert. You can click that you will "attend" the concert retroactively. The FB page is "1995 Grateful Dead fans @RFK stadium....". We are all trying to work together to give Jason back his real name. Grateful Dead fans are passionate about helping find his real identity. There are also different sites on the net for missing Grateful Dead fans, and there is a UID in Atlanta as well.

Most of you know the above info already-I am just reposting it for all the new people.

Hi everyone from down under and thank you to all for the useful posts. Hopefully Jason does get his real name back. Such a great community here looking into his situation he has every chance and many heads are better than one. Im still learning and finding my way around but hope to contribute.

Raincloud.

that the Virginia LE office was overwhelmed and they turned the comparisons over to the state of Virginia medical examiner. There are several different groups of people, including this group, and including Grateful Dead fans, who have been submitting names. The last I heard they had a large backlog of comparisons to make, so it will probably be a long wait for results for any names that are/have been submitted. Grateful Doe does have a FB page (actually there are more than one) that different people have set up. One of those pages is trying to reach people who attended the concert. You can click that you will "attend" the concert retroactively. The FB page is "1995 Grateful Dead fans @RFK stadium....". We are all trying to work together to give Jason back his real name. Grateful Dead fans are passionate about helping find his real identity. There are also different sites on the net for missing Grateful Dead fans, and there is a UID in Atlanta as well.

Most of you know the above info already-I am just reposting it for all the new people.

For those that do not have the links; here they are

Grateful Doe FB Page

Facebook event. Note they keep changing the date so that it never goes away...

1995 Grateful dead fans @Rfk stadium Were you there??? - Invite all your friends this is to ?help get more awareness to the unidentified man possibly named Jason was killed after a grateful dead concert in June 1995 the dates of the concert were June 24 & 25 1995 at the Rfk stadium in Washington, D.C.. If you know anyone that went to the concert add them to the group or just keep sharing his flyer someone has to know something. I'll keep adding more info as I get it ready. For more info go see his NamUs page

"attend" the concert, you can then share/send the page with others and post it to your FB page, especially if you are a Dead or Phish fan or know someone who is. Also any music-lovers that you know. Thank you Roselvr for posting the links!

Well he doesn't show up in the list of NamUs' rule outs. So either they are still working on it or they couldn't rule him out? Don't know? But interesting if he was submitted last year.

Salem

As Alan Morse is missing from GA...sending the information to the Cobb County Police Dept in GA may get faster results..

Classito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members