VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police chief is choked up even trying to get started... bless him.

This is just so confusing. I really do think drugs were involved. Molly (ecstasy) is VERY popular among college kids these days and like all drugs it varies in quality. I just have a hunch and that it just my opinion.

I know she left a party near her home but has anyone said why she left or where she said she was going? I can't imagine of all the people she was supposedly with no one tried to keep her from leaving alone. Although I do remember back when I too thought I was invincible....I just have such a terrible feeling about this....where the heck was she going?

met friends for dinner fri eve at university plaza
hit two other locations
left 2nd location, possibly lost bearing, headed NW
was at grady's, seen on preston by cameras
eyewitness saw her go toward downtown mall
recovering video that will depict (possibly)
90 minutes ago, addt'l info she was on video at mall, southbound
asking downtown mall biz owners to save footage
sunday afternoon hannah's friends and family started worrying

As background on trailing the scent... I found this interesting...

"Scenting ability[edit]The Bloodhound's physical characteristics account for its ability to follow a scent trail left several days in the past. Under optimal conditions, a Bloodhound can detect as few as one or two cells. The Bloodhound's nasal chambers (where scents are identified) are larger than those of most other breeds. The number of olfactory receptor cells are 4 billion in a bloodhound, compared to just 5 million in a human and 200 million in a cat and 100 million in a rabbit[43] The surface area of bloodhound olfactory epithelium is 59 sq.in. compared to human's 1.55 sq.in. (10 sq.cm.)[43] The large, long pendent ears serve to prevent wind from scattering nearby skin cells while the dog's nose is on the ground; the folds of wrinkled flesh under the lips and neck—called the shawl—serve to catch stray scent particles in the air or on a nearby branch as the bloodhound is scenting, reinforcing the scent in the dog's memory and nose.[44] However, not all agree that the long ears and loose skin are functional, some regarding them as a handicap.[29]

Human Trailing[edit]There are many accounts of bloodhounds successfully following trails many hours, and even several days, old,[29][30] the record being of a family found dead in Oregon, in 1954, over 330 hours after they had gone missing.[14] The bloodhound is generally used to follow the individual scent of a fugitive or lost person, taking the scent from a ‘scent article’ – something the quarry is known to have touched, which could be an item of clothing, a car seat, an identified footprint etc.[29][45] Many bloodhounds will follow the drift of scent a good distance away from the actual footsteps of the quarry, which can enable them to cut corners and reach the end of the trail more quickly. In America, sticking close to the footsteps is called ‘tracking’, while the freer method is known as ‘trailing’ (in the UK, ‘hunting’), and is held to reflect the bloodhound’s concentration on the individual human scent, rather than that of, say, vegetation crushed by the feet of the quarry.[45][46] Having lost a scent, a good bloodhound will stubbornly cast about for long periods, if necessary, in order to recover it.[13][22][29] The bloodhound is handled on a tracking harness, which has a metal ring above the shoulders, to which a leash is attached, so that the hound’s neck is not jerked up when the leash becomes taut, as it would with a collar. The leash is at least long enough to allow the hound to cross freely in front of the handler, some handlers preferring quite a short leash, giving better communication with the hound, others liking something longer, maybe twenty or thirty feet."

Hi LoveVA,

I am from Farmville, another college town (Longwood University for those who don't know). I have seen this happen MANY times and have "rescued" a few of these girls and gotten them home safely. Lots of rapes, reported and unreported here. My husband works in off-campus housing and we know how crazy it gets on weekend nights. Like you say, but by the grace of God many make it safely to Monday morning. When they're this drunk, they don't think ahead and often have NO CLUE where they are in a strange town.

Yes ma'am that is my alma mater. I spent 4 of the wildest years of my life in your town. I am sure you have seen it all.

One other point I meant to make. I think her running could very well just be because she was really drunk. Thankful to say I never did this, but I definitely knew people who ran off and did seriously crazy things whilst intoxicated. People ended up in the wrong building, dorm, house etc. One girl went running and screaming down the street at 2 in the morning b/c of a huge fight with her boyfriend and cops were called. I knew one guy who climbed into his old window from the year before and got arrested for breaking and entering (charges were dropped b/c he was friends with the new occupants.) we laughed at the time, but the fact remains that you can truly lose it when really drunk. Hannah could have just been plastered and running around town. I've seen it before.

People also can easily end up at the mercy of someone who they think is nice, offers to help them, give them a ride etc. Their normal "antennae's" are not up b/c of how drunk they are. Lots of happy drunks out there who become everyone's best friend while they're wasted.

Seriously, a party school college town would be a gold mine for a predator on young women.

In process of obtaining another video showing her closer to the mall.

My personal belief is that she was disoriented and thought she was at 14th/Wertland (parking garage & train tracks) when in reality she was at 2nd/Water Street (parking garage & train tracks). That would answer a lot of questions regarding her saying she is one place but her phone saying she is another. I have a 2nd year daughter at UVa who lives just streets from Hannah and this hits really close.

Thanks for the insight MomHoo, and welcome to Ws!

friends for dinner friday evening
11pm left the company of her friends alone
went to at least 2 other locations then lost her bearings
O'grady's pub camera
eastbound on preston
preston avenue shell camera
crossings
southbound on 2nd towards Market *I think that's what he said* (getting a video)
eyewitness

southbound on mall camera

will give footage ASAP

asking merchants to preserve camera footage so they can learn direction of travel and if she was still alone.

Parker Slaybaugh's Twitter feed:

Parker Slaybaugh @Parker8News · 19s
Press conference about Hannah Graham has started, photos of Hannah being shown behind police. http://fb.me/3u9vVYSwl

Parker Slaybaugh @Parker8News · 1m
Cville Police: Search constantly expanding

Cville Police Chief: says he spoke with Hannah's parents about her enthusiasm for life

Kudos to business owners taking it upon themselves to review their surveillance video.

Sunday afternoon, friends and family began to compare notes. Became concerned. Mom talked to brother, who hadn't talked to Hannah. He then reached out to friends, who also had not heard from her.

Sunday:
afternoon friends and family got worried
She studies a lot so Saturday friends may have thought she was at library
Sunday people started looking, contacting family and each other

Cops called around 5 or 6.
called in bloodhound - did not yield favorable results

Police chief reading statement from her parents. "We fear foul play."

Will be showing surveillance video at PC shortly.

This cop is having a REALLY hard time not showing any emotion. I have to wonder if she was a victim of someone else's sick intentions.

Investigation has been aggressive and will continue to.
Electronic equipment (?) seized from Hannah's apartment. Possibly yield clues.
Bloodhound confirms her presence in downtown area.
Going to show video.....
Statement from parents: Hannah beyond precious. Devastated, out of character, fear foul play, grateful for info provided, continue to call tipline, support from friends too many to count, Hannah lived in VA since she was 5, not rest until she's found, please call with any info, thank you John and Susan

They're giving reporters the video footage they have on thumb drives so they can disseminate the information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaJ