VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it was a high enough rate of speed that the surveilling officers called off the pursuit for their own safety and the safety of others on the road. It had to be a heck of alot faster than 35 mph.

I have no doubt he sped away, I mean just look at his driving record. However, some of us have speculated that perhaps they didn't even try to follow. They knew JM wanted a lawyer and probably could not afford one. Without being charged he could not get a public defender. So, some of us were thinking maybe he sped away and they said "Hey, lets give him the opportunity to have a lawyer now" and decided to have the presser so he knew there was a warrant out for his arrest. Just a theory.

This is driving me nutso. Non-snarky question: has it been established that he blew away from the police station in a reckless manner? My recall from Longo's interview on the Today Show this morning is that this alleged incident occurred well after he had left. MOO of course.

I would be curious to know for sure too. But even if they were pulling him over for something as simply as "no seatbelt" or improper lane usage, the minute that he decided to make a run for it and escalated it by making a run for it, he escalated it immensely. He created a new problem for himself and probably did LE a favor because NOW they have something to bring him into custody for. Not a bright move on his part, not at all.

no he specifically said they were "overtly, not covertly, overtly" following him

Longo said yesterday it was covert

[...]

Virginia State Police said they were conducting overt surveillance of Matthew in Albemarle County, after he left the Charlottesville Police Department, when he fled in a car at a high rate of speed and police had to end surveillance. Virginia State Police issued two warrants for Matthew on charges of misdemeanor reckless driving. Police issued a wanted poster for Matthew on Monday, in it they describe the car as a light blue Nissan Sentra with a Virginia license plate of VAC 4575.

[...]

http://www.nbc29.com/story/26593843/man-seen-with-missing-uva-student-hannah-graham-being-sought

But he wouldn't need a new photo for expired registration?

I don't want to harp on this DMV thing because as far as I can see, it's the least of our concerns ATM. But, in the state where I live, when you go in to renew your tags, they offer to renew your license early so that you don't have to go back in again and do it a few months later. I have done this myself and they took another picture. But, I do not live anywhere near Virginia so this may be a moot point.

I wonder if LE was right up on his bumper, driving in that obnoxiously intimidating way they do when they are behind you, looking you up, waiting for (or trying to get) you to do something stupid, like forget to signal or go a few MPH over the speed limit. It happened to me once near the University here, and the guy eventually pulled me over because I didn't have my registration sticker on my license plate. When he did pull me over, he seemed non-plussed that the car was actually registered, I'd put cruise control on and hadn't sped, I was sober, and he had no reason to ticket me. Anyway, my heart was pounding and even though I was doing nothing wrong that I knew of, I had to fight the impulse to peel off. ETA: He also yelled at me because I pulled over "too fast" when he put on his lights.

On CNN this morning, Longo said they witnessed him get into a car and speed away. My interpretation of that was they were parked, watching him outside the car, then get in the car and so on. I'm not even clear on if they were physically following him after that. Longo said he was not clear on the particulars (UGH!).

He actually said it was OVERT. Not being argumentative, but I heard him repeat it again on his Today show interview this morning.

I got my covers and overts mixed up. My mistake

So let me get this straight. JLM goes to the DMV to renew his license after the police show up at his apartment, seizing and searching his orange coupe? Was he driving on an expired license or something, then? :thinking:

He's done it before:
GT11014480-00 MATTHEW, JESSE L.; JR 11/07/2011 09:30 AM DRIVE SUSP 2ND OFFENSE

Untitled.jpg

(searched on http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/gdcourts/criminalDetail.do?formAction=newSearch choose Albemarle General District Court)

for speeding thats all not for this particular case. So if he is arrested for speeding then he still does not have to speak at all and will be released in a couple of days.

I think one of the warrants is for reckless driving, I'd have to look for a link. Will supply if you need one. I've just realized I've forgotten what the other warrant was for...I have a terrible memory.

Well I'll be honest, I have had the same DMV photo since I was in my early 20's thats at least 10+ years ago. Maybe he wanted a new pic of his dreads? lol I wonder when he started growing those?
My mother's caregiver has hair similar to JM's. She goes every month to 6 weeks and has new extensions woven into her very short hair. It takes hours she said, if she has her entire head done. She said her hair breaks off and it would take 10 years to have long enough to braid like that. So my guess is that his are woven in as well. Just MO.

by the way in Virginia reckless driving is considered anything over 11 mph faster than speed limit. 61 in a 50 etc

I would be curious to know for sure too. But even if they were pulling him over for something as simply as "no seatbelt" or improper lane usage, the minute that he decided to make a run for it and escalated it by making a run for it, he escalated it immensely. He created a new problem for himself and probably did LE a favor because NOW they have something to bring him into custody for. Not a bright move on his part, not at all.

They were not attempting to pull him over for anything as far as we know.

I think one of the warrants is for reckless driving, I'd have to look for a link. Will supply if you need one. I've just realized I've forgotten what the other warrant was for...I have a terrible memory.

reckless driving is speeding over 11 mph speed limit

This is driving me nutso. Non-snarky question: has it been established that he blew away from the police station in a reckless manner? My recall from Longo's interview on the Today Show this morning is that this alleged incident occurred well after he had left. MOO of course.

I believe that Longo said he was overtly followed to a residence where he went in and came back out and hopped in a car and started driving like a bat out of hell. VA state police pursued him but backed off because the high speed chase was dangerous for everybody.........so they backed off and issued warrants. JMO

Clearly, LE was tailing him probably to make sure they weren't going to lose him and to nab him if they could. He was moving out of his apartment anyways, and with what happened with the search and all, there was probably uncertainty as to where he was going to be living. LE seems pretty sure he's a good suspect and though they cannot charge him at the time he went to the police station, they want him in their sights if the forensic reports or other evidence came through so they could book him. That he was foolish enough to get these reckless driving charges on his head makes it a lot easier for them if indeed some evidence comes through. IF they do hit him up hard on those charges and come to find out that the forensics come up empty, then LE is going to have a problem, as it 's a huge issue that men of color tend to get hit harder for these sort of thing than the rest of the population. You don't put out wanted posters and throw the book at someone for reckless driving as a rule Though frankly with his DMV record, he probably could get harsh sentence for this even without the Hannah Graham case hanging over his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member