VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

FORMS OF VIRGINIA RECKLESS DRIVING

(1) The most common form of reckless driving is speeding 20+ over the speed limit;
46.2-862. A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
(2) Driving in a manner generally endangering others;
46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule - Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.
http://www.vatrafficlaw.com/reckless.html

The media statements by LE indicated to me that LM was charged with the second form, not the first.

I agree it's a tactic. And you're right--it might work. It already pushed him to SHOW UP at the police station and ask for a lawyer, and panic enough to take his picture off of facebook. This is a POI who is scared out of his mind, IMO, whether he is guilt or innocent. A big enough of a manhunt may cause him to crack. Particularly if:

1. Something did happen, but was not premeditated, or was even accidental
2. There was someone else involved (e.g. WG), and he lawyers up and decides to try to bargain in exchange for information

Yeah. It really alarms me that not one, but two different men in the span of minutes were tracking and tailing this young woman. I know WG came forward and is unlikely to have been involved but also I don;t believe he was "concerned for her safety". Ick.

Frankly, this seems like tactic to me. If they had found anything crucial they would keep their mouths shut until an arrest.

To me, LE is using high pressure tactics because they have reason to believe JM is involved in Hannah's disappearance and are trying to get him to implicate himself.

And for those who feel he won't talk, sometimes these techniques do work. Typically, FBI profilers assist and instruct LE as to how to work the case.

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit. https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-862

thanks for the news about what the landlady said but IMO ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............ 5 minutes of fame.
Best I can do is an incomplete link from google search. When you go to link there is nothing about the landlady in the story/report. https://www.google.com/search?q=WTP...icial&channel=sb&q=WToP+Jesse+Mathew+landlord
Jesse Matthew is believed to be the last person to see Hannah Graham, an .... Landlord says Jesse was very friendly Thursday night. Offered to ...

But, I bet she knows if he cut off those dreads cuz she saw him on Thursday.

So you think they have enough cause to search DNA from his car/apt, and a match could then lead to a warrant to take his DNA directly?

How long would this take, do you think?

I was assuming that they might do DNA testing on items taken in the search. Example... maybe they tested empty bottles / cans looking for Hannah's DNA, as proof she was in the car at some point. If any DNA from that gets a hit, that's probable cause. I have no idea about the time required for results, but I have seen some in these threads mention +/- 2 weeks.

Ah--that did not occur to me that this (2005 victim) could be probable cause for DNA. Thanks for that. That would also be big enough to motivate LE to put on this reckless speeding manhunt while waiting for forensics.

ETA: especially if this was a "new warrant." What other reason would they have to conduct a new warrant at the apartment other than DNA?

razor and toothbrush for DNA collection?
If so, perhaps the 2005 rape victim has identified JM as her assailant.

BBM. But JM preferred to leave the police station by driving in a reckless manner, refusing to pull over and causing a car chase. That is not quite laying low. He gave them a reason to arrest him, all because of that. What the heck was he thinking to commit a driving violation (driving recklessly or speeding and then refusing to pull over) when he had just been told to lay low?

BBM. No he didn't. According to LE, after having left the police station, he was later observed by LE who were following him, to leave an Albemare county residence at high/reckless speed.

Re link: think it was Chief Longo's TV interview this morning, looking for it, but this thread is moving too darn fast!

Ok, let me correct my above comment.
But JM preferred to drive in a reckless manner, or some other driving violation refusing to pull over and causing a car chase . That is not quite laying low. He gave them a reason to arrest him, all because of that. What the heck was he thinking to commit a driving violation (driving recklessly or speeding and then refusing to pull over) when he had just been told to lay low?

Bottom line - He knows he is being watched, why would he do anything that would cause him to get pulled over or to make the situation worse by running from the cops. Not a smart move at all.

RE: reckless driving in CA.

I know someone who got a reckless driving ticket for swerving over to the side of the road to talk to someone she knew. When she saw the cop she thought better of it and straightened up and kept on driving.

I also know someone who during construction on a street where the middle lane was blocked off made a right turn from the left lane, causing an accident because the right lane could go straight or turn right, and the car turned right from the left lane right into a car that was going straight.

So there are all kinds of scenarios in which a person can be deemed as driving recklessly. IMO.

It's post #661, on thread #9. I'm on a (so-called) "smart"phone which which won't let me copy it over. Can anyone help? I'm alerting mod.

I'm going back to find the very useful timeline/video/media links post by Bakerlady (?? I think) & would like to request that it be stickied at the top of the thread.

And it was said that two people were in the car with him when he evaded police .... Hmmm....
Two family members at police station, I believe, one other person in car when reckless driving.

See my above post. I think they can do this IF they find HG. But to just do DNA willy nilly on JM does not sound legal.

Yes, I was going to say this. They would have no grounds to obtain his DNA with no evidence of DNA from somewhere else like Hannah's body (sorry). I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I agree with this - I don't think they can randomly start entering DNA from clothing, they'd be smart to cover their butts and get a warrant for that. #getallthewarrants

Meaning another 4 days to analyze the evidence?

Reckless driving can be given for being involved in an accident, if you screech your tires, if you make a u-turn at an intersection with no u-turn signs, for drinking and driving but blowing under the legal limit... it can be given for swerving, for speeding, for driving in an erratic manner (like incessant lane changing).. I've literally never seen anyone been hunted down by LE for a reckless - and like I said, 75% if not more of our case load is reckless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member