VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best I can do is an incomplete link from google search. When you go to link there is nothing about the landlady in the story/report. https://www.google.com/search?q=WTP...icial&channel=sb&q=WToP+Jesse+Mathew+landlord
Jesse Matthew is believed to be the last person to see Hannah Graham, an .... Landlord says Jesse was very friendly Thursday night. Offered to ...

But, I bet she knows if he cut off those dreads cuz she saw him on Thursday.

BBM: Another poster comfirmed in a prior comment that dreds can be removed and put back in (as in , not all dreds are "homegrown"). So perhaps his are removable and did not need to be cut, just removed, if changing appearances was the goal. Not suggesting this happened, but I wanted to understand how easily someone could have dreds one day and short hair the next and evidently, it's easy.

Ok, let me correct my above comment.
But JM preferred to drive in a reckless manner, or some other driving violation refusing to pull over and causing a car chase . That is not quite laying low. He gave them a reason to arrest him, all because of that. What the heck was he thinking to commit a driving violation (driving recklessly or speeding and then refusing to pull over) when he had just been told to lay low?

Bottom line - He knows he is being watched, why would he do anything that would cause him to get pulled over or to make the situation worse by running from the cops. Not a smart move at all.
If he is more afraid of what others might do to him on the outside.

Another poster did just point out that the 2005 rape victim could have ID'ed him as a possible suspect. That would likely be enough cause.

Yes, I was going to say this. They would have no grounds to obtain his DNA with no evidence of DNA from somewhere else like Hannah's body (sorry). I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I would think the Fairfax victim would be able to identify JM by a picture if he was the one who committed that crime. She gave a composite of her assailant so she must have gotten a good look at him.

I would think LE already has JM's DNA from the searches, from cig butts, or bottles or cans, maybe sneak out a toothbrush just to narrow it down. If there is a match on something they didn't get on the up and up, they would at least know they had their guy and could eventually get it again legally after building a case more, I would think. IMO.

Yeah. It really alarms me that not one, but two different men in the span of minutes were tracking and tailing this young woman. I know WG came forward and is unlikely to have been involved but also I don;t believe he was "concerned for her safety". Ick.

I had the same thoughts. Possible he was "concerned for her safety", but also possible he saw an opportunity. Really, some one should have called the police that someone that looked off was running around lost. Not a good idea for males to approach females like that , as we can see.

I know folks in this thread have this POI convicted for every crime that ever happened remotely in this vicinity. But I haven't seen the police actually mention anything to suggest that this guy actually killed this victim. The minute the police found even a drop of evidence implicating him, they would immediately issue a warrant for his arrest. The fact that they apparently found no obvious clues, not a single hair, blood drop, etc. during the first search and have to re-search, and still no arrest warrant for murder, makes me doubt there is any viable claim against this guy.

I also worry that if the pd is barking up the wrong tree, that someone who truly may have been involved in her disappearance may have gotten away with destroying evidence etc. The reason I am skeptical is because this case strongly reminds me of a death penalty case I briefly worked on where the conviction was overturned with dna evidence. I won't get into those details but the cops were essentially lazy and rather than do an involved investigation and follow all leads, they picked the easiest guy to pin a case on.

Perhaps he was having his address changed due to his move at the end of this month.

Surveillance devices? Would this be legal if they were installed on the 1st house search without the knowledge of JM? Not saying this is what happened, but could it be a possibility?

Hmmmm, I don't think that's legal but I'm no expert.

I really hope if LE knows he altered his hair, they would say so. I am afraid for other men with dreadlocks. Info has been enough with descriptions, etc

And (my ignorance here) can dreds be removed and then put back in quickly? As in used to change an appearance?

I can't speak with absolute authority on this point, but no. JMO

Even if it's a weave, those take abundant time to remove and replace.

Best I can do is an incomplete link from google search. When you go to link there is nothing about the landlady in the story/report. https://www.google.com/search?q=WTP...icial&channel=sb&q=WToP+Jesse+Mathew+landlord
Jesse Matthew is believed to be the last person to see Hannah Graham, an .... Landlord says Jesse was very friendly Thursday night. Offered to ...

But, I bet she knows if he cut off those dreads cuz she saw him on Thursday.

BBM: Another poster comfirmed in a prior comment that dreds can be removed and put back in (as in , not all dreds are "homegrown"). So perhaps his are removable and did not need to be cut, just removed, if changing appearances was the goal. Not suggesting this happened, but I wanted to understand how easily someone could have dreds one day and short hair the next and evidently, it's easy.

There are synthetic dreadlocks that can be removed or put in but it isn't a simple quick procedure. I doubt his dreads are synthetic. Dreadlocks grown from your own hair can be cut off but they take a long time to grow.

That's not true at all. Look up the Erin Corwin case. They arrested the suspect for a felony potato gun possession so they could keep track of him until they found a body. They ALWAYS knew he was the suspect, IMO, but never called him anything but a POI until the day they arrested him for murder, 1000 miles away from the crime scene, AFTER the body was recovered.

LE can have tons of evidence that, IF a crime was committed, he is the guy. But without a body, it is much harder.

I know folks in this thread have this POI convicted for every crime that ever happened remotely in this vicinity. But I haven't seen the police actually mention anything to suggest that this guy actually killed this victim. The minute the police found even a drop of evidence implicating him, they would immediately issue a warrant for his arrest. The fact that they apparently found no obvious clues, not a single hair, blood drop, etc. during the first search and have to re-search, and still no arrest warrant for murder, makes me doubt there is any viable claim against this guy.

I also worry that if the pd is barking up the wrong tree, that someone who truly may have been involved in her disappearance may have gotten away with destroying evidence etc. The reason I am skeptical is because this case strongly reminds me of a death penalty case I briefly worked on where the conviction was overturned with dna evidence. I won't get into those details but the cops were essentially lazy and rather than do an involved investigation and follow all leads, they picked the easiest guy to pin a case on.

Man i'm sure yall have already discussed this ad nauseum (at least i hope you have) but this case is so similar to the morgan harrington case its spooky. To girls similar age similar circumstances both out walking streets they were unfamiliar with (i know graham was from there but didn't she call someone saying she was lost). In the same city. both likely intoxicated to one degree or another (as is typical for young adults their age not trying to be judgemental) both just vanish into thin air after being seen on surveillance cameras. Morgan Harrington was simply a victim of opportunity for a repeat predator, and regardless of whether the cases are linked I think Heather Graham is also going to end up being a victim of opportunity for some predator. The similarities just seem uncanny to me. It's sad that these people live among us got to remember to always stay safe out there.

I could be wrong but there's seldom "obvious clues" to be found a week after the incident took place.
The evidence they took from the car and apartment are still at the lab. Results are due back tomorrow.

I would like to clarify my post regarding LE already having JM's DNA from his apartment. The issue to me is that he apparently had roommates, and heaven knows how many other people were in his apartment at one time or another. Example: how do you know which toothbrush is his? In addition, my understanding regarding DNA that will be used in court is that it must come directly from the suspect and that, in turn, must be obtained with a separate warrant.

Now, OTOH, if HG's DNA were to be found in the apartment on one of the items removed, that is a whole different kettle of fish, because one would assume that 1) LE obtained DNA from her parents or from some of HG's personal items; 2) her parents have given LE permission to use those samples; and 3) HG is not a suspect. MOO.

FORMS OF VIRGINIA RECKLESS DRIVING

(1) The most common form of reckless driving is speeding 20+ over the speed limit;
46.2-862. A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
(2) Driving in a manner generally endangering others;
46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule - Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.
http://www.vatrafficlaw.com/reckless.html

The media statements by LE indicated to me that LM was charged with the second form, not the first.

Indeed the latter. Links to warrant.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wvir/documents/Matthew_Warrant1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads