VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect to all those who wish to view interior motives to " wg's" behaviour...

I wish..truly wish..that someone had tried to ensure the safety of our loved one on the night she was murdered... In our case, an involved witness was able to provide excellant testimony leading up to the Arrest and conviction of those responsible...
He witnessed aberrant behaviour and was able to recount details...he NEVER thought it would end up in murder...
There is a show called " what would you do" that provides different scenarios in reacting to crime etc....
Apply it here to WG...
If I was a person walking in a pedestrian mall and heard a group of people cAtcalling/ antagonizing a Lone young female and it elevated to appoint of being threatening...I think I would have done exactly what WG did...it's not creepy..it's exemplerary...most people wouldn't care...
He watched her until he thought she was safe with someone she knew...he tried...more than most would...
We have no context for the actions released on tape...it May come across as creepy without sound/or context..in my view it was protective and I would hope others would try to protect our youngsters as well...I feel so sorry for this man as I do for the witness in our case...there will always be this cloud hanging there.." I might have changed fate somehow, if only..."
But what has happened has happened and this possibly Good Samaritan will have to live with the fact that even though his intentions were good, not only was he judged wrongly, but that evil prevailed over good that night...
This is all my IMO...

That's not true at all. Look up the Erin Corwin case. They arrested the suspect for a felony potato gun possession so they could keep track of him until they found a body. They ALWAYS knew he was the suspect, IMO, but never called him anything but a POI until the day they arrested him for murder, 1000 miles away from the crime scene, AFTER the body was recovered.

LE can have tons of evidence that, IF a crime was committed, he is the guy. But without a body, it is much harder.

So true. Many of us realized what LE was doing by arresting him on the potato gun incident, too. It was just to keep tabs on him, to keep him in their sights until they found Erin's body at the bottom of the mine shaft. They also had the searches on his computer for how to dispose of a dead body that they didn't tell us about until after the arrest.

In HG's case, they may feel she's dead already, and are building their case around that. They need to find Hannah to proceed. The reckless driving charges are just to keep JM on the radar, in their sights, just like LE did in the EC case. The police could have plenty of evidence, we just won't hear about it until JM is arrested.

It doesn't mean they have nothing else. IMO

Gitana,
I am not an attorney and am not even an experienced sleuther.

My comment about potential defamation of the POI is in regards to the comments made about how, regardless of the POI is guilty or innocent, his life has been irreparably damaged.

He will find great difficulty finding a job from here on out. This will greatly impact his already unenviable financial situation. His image has been destroyed, his roommates moved out, and people are likely ending his friendships with him. He's essentially been exiled from Charlottesville. The future doesn't look good for him. This can be attributed to Charlottesville LE's comments broadcast on live television. With no grounds to arrest him or no technical grounds to classify him as a suspect.
Maybe I have the wrong legal notion of defamation, but if this isn't a prime example, what is?

I am not taking sides. Objectively I just see this case as tainted.

The FBI has been involved for several days now. http://www.nbc12.com/story/26546838/fbi-now-involved-in-search-for-missing-uva-student

Please point me to "potential defamation of the POI". I have yet to see any and would be interested if that was happening.

I've never believed this version, however, for these reasons:

1. He started following her before she even passed him. Not a whole lot of time to determine she was "distressed" given that she had just come onto the scene, particularly since:
2. He was looking at his phone in the seconds prior. When did he have a chance to determine that she was "distressed?"

I think she caught his attention when she was a ways behind him for some reason. If you look at the video, she is moving very quickly relative to everyone else. Maybe she was crying, maybe she stumbled, maybe she was making noise, or looked flushed or discombobulated somehow. The video image isn't detailed enough for me to look and say she looks "fine" or "not fine" but I believe something did probably catch his attention. You only have to look at a face for milliseconds (literally.. under half a second, some studies say way under half a second) to be able to decide what emotion a face has.

I don't see anything about that as defamation.

btw, it's "Matthew" without the s; only correcting you because a lot of false information was posted about the wrong person a few days back

what about when Longo says he wants to talk to him because he believes Matthews is the last person to be with HG before she apparently stepped off the face of the earth...?

Perhaps he would rather have a DL that has him looking significantly different than he looked 5-10 years ago?

In my opinion, he will soon be arrested for another crime, that is if they can find him. Osama Bin Laden's positive DNA match took hours. Obviously very different circumstances, but a quick match is possible.

This DMV visit is very odd. Does anyone know why he was there?

Wow--look how different JM looks just with 2 years weight difference. Wonder what he looked like 5 years ago...
and without those dreads...
and one nine years ago.

The way he looks today, I would have walked right by him...never thinking of Sketch at all.

what about when Longo says he wants to talk to him because he believes Matthews is the last person to be with HG before she apparently stepped off the face of the earth...?

That's just the truth, that is not defamation. JMO

I know folks in this thread have this POI convicted for every crime that ever happened remotely in this vicinity. But I haven't seen the police actually mention anything to suggest that this guy actually killed this victim. The minute the police found even a drop of evidence implicating him, they would immediately issue a warrant for his arrest. The fact that they apparently found no obvious clues, not a single hair, blood drop, etc. during the first search and have to re-search, and still no arrest warrant for murder, makes me doubt there is any viable claim against this guy.

I also worry that if the pd is barking up the wrong tree, that someone who truly may have been involved in her disappearance may have gotten away with destroying evidence etc. The reason I am skeptical is because this case strongly reminds me of a death penalty case I briefly worked on where the conviction was overturned with dna evidence. I won't get into those details but the cops were essentially lazy and rather than do an involved investigation and follow all leads, they picked the easiest guy to pin a case on.

I think there is a mix here. Some are certain JM is a perp in this case simply because he would not cooperate with LE. This happens a lot when people lawyer up, refuse to take police lie detector tests, evoke the 5th, or do anything that isn't open armed and free talk. But many of us are also repeatedly bringing up the fact, that it is his right, your right, our right, to act this way, and sometimes is the wise thing to do, and does not necessarily mean one is guilty.

It's also been very clear, LE, Longo have made it VERY CLEAR that they do NOT have sufficent evidence to charge JM with anything. It's not a crime to be the last person with someone who disappears. And people do disappear on their own volition. There has not been a scrap of evidence that any harm has come to Hannah. It's unfortunately, devastadingly likely, given the scenario, but had she been some young woman in the projects who disappeared, I don't think LE would have jumped on the case so quickly as they did with a UVA student.

A lot rides on the forensic results. If LE comes up empty from the car and apartment search, they are going to have to start looking further. What concerns me about this case is that LE can ge complacent when they think they've got the perp and not look elsewhere until their theory is disproved. So I agree with you that this is an issue and Longo seems to be aware of it as his "tunnel vision" comment indicates. In many ways JM is fortunate that this is a high profile case. IF he is indeed innocent or if the burden or proof is not met, it's less likely he' ll be railroaded becasue he's a convenient candidate with so many eyes studying the case.

Thanks...a previous answer was "yes". I guess it may me "it depends"?

A wig would be a quick change. I just don't see how there could possibly quick on/quick off dreadlocks. You need to attach each one individually to the sprout of natural hair underneath, which would be time consuming. Maybe it depends on someone's definition of quick? Like 1 hour v. 4 hours? It's probably not worth spending too much time going back and forth on this, but I guess we have nothing else to discuss at the moment. So, JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966