VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While the WG was sketchy I think he was just a good Samaritan. If he was planning on abducting her I would think that he would have looked down at his phone while she passed him. Instead he stared at her pretty good as she walked by which makes me think he was checking her out to see if she was OK.

Of course. But so many on here are saying that he is wise to not speak to police *until he has an attorney.* He asked for one, he received one. Now, by that logic, he should sit down and talk to the police. If nothing useful emerges, at least he did it. By not even doing that, he looks even more guilty (which I think he is).
IMO, this may have been true before Longo's emotional meltdown yesterday, but not now. IMO Longo has made it quite clear through his tone that he thinks of JM as the number one suspect. The ship of conciliation has sailed. In addition, we do not know if JM actually has retained an attorney at this time, just that he consulted one. He may be nailing down a payment plan as we type.

If I were speeding away recklessly from the police, even if it was an Undercover, would I be engaged in a high speed chase? What was stopping LE from carrying out a chase?

Because if they were in unmarked cars and no siren it could cause a serious accident with other cars on the road.

He was not provided with an attorney. He was able to meet with one at the PD. It is unclear if that attorney was able to be retained. So as of right now he may not have an attorney.

He was given access to an attorney, he had the option to retain that attorney I'm sure. If he chose not to, that's his own deal. When he gets arrested for the driving like a jerk warrant he will be given an attorney... so if he wants one and can't afford one, maybe he should turn himself in on that warrant...

BBM. The fact that he took family members (grandma and mom?) with him tells me he is not all that saavy about the legal system. This is a scared 32 year old 'little boy'.

I guess it's pretty obvious that anyone reading my posts sees that I think this guy is innocent of harming Hannah. I've eaten hats before.

I'm not ready to say that he harmed her yet, but I do suspect that he has some knowledge about what may have happened to her.........I keep thinking that he would have a really seedy reputation of being a stalker-type, but I don't know. In the back of my mind, I Imagine him passing her on to danger..........but that is just imagination, probably. JMO

@skibaboo: Just want to thank you for putting Bakerlady's timeline/links in your sig line.

Muchos kudos

While the WG was sketchy I think he was just a good Samaritan. If he was planning on abducting her I would think that he would have looked down at his phone while she passed him. Instead he stared at her pretty good as she walked by which makes me think he was checking her out to see if she was OK.
He might be, but I have to admit that upon viewing that video for the first time what struck me the most was the downright cornucopia of potential creepers!

This isn't of much interest, but I don't think it's been mentioned before. Got it from a most recent CNN.com article. So JM has only been working at the hospital for a little over a month. No wonder he can't afford an attorney, pay hist rent or own a newer car. He's realy in deep straights right now. Attorney advice or not, I think he should tell what he knows. If he is guilty of something, they will get him eventually. If he's not guilty, then only he can try and convince LE of it. It doesn't appear they are going to be looking for any other POI but him.

"The University of Virginia Medical Center confirmed to WVIR that Matthew has worked there since August 12."

In my experience that's not really how warrants work. MOO

Oh yeah I forgot you have to have evidence to get a warrant. Would they need more evidence than they had in the first warrant to get the second one?

He was given access to an attorney, he had the option to retain that attorney I'm sure. If he chose not to, that's his own deal. When he gets arrested for the driving like a jerk warrant he will be given an attorney... so if he wants one and can't afford one, maybe he should turn himself in on that warrant...
Do you know how expensive attorneys are? It isn't always your choice.

Regardless, i brought it up to fix your assumption that he had an attorney and still wasn't talking to the police while he was in the police station. That is where my comment was directed. He did not "have" an attorney.

I wonder if LE really could not even pick out who JM was from video and description but that the trail that was being followed was his car. LE doesn't give out all the info they have, ever. I find it odd that they got a search warrent for a car without pulling in the owner. LE didn't seem to be that focused on any of the residents of the apartment or the car owner when they came to search and seize the car, search the apartment. There is something about the way the car was searched that really bothers me. Anyone have any ideas about this? I wonder if the car might not have been identified at some point but LE is keeping that part quiet because they have not established a link between JM and his car other than he owned it. All musing and speculation here.

This isn't of much interest, but I don't think it's been mentioned before. Got it from a most recent CNN.com article. So JM has only been working at the hospital for a little over a month. No wonder he can't afford an attorney, pay hist rent or own a newer car. He's realy in deep straights right now. Attorney advice or not, I think he should tell what he knows. If he is guilty of something, they will get him eventually. If he's not guilty, then only he can try and convince LE of it. It doesn't appear they are going to be looking for any other POI but him.

"The University of Virginia Medical Center confirmed to WVIR that Matthew has worked there since August 12."

I read he has been there since 2012

August, 12, (what is the year)

It's August 2012

And I am sure LE is going to check that out and see if he had been driving around without a current license since December of last year.

If he just renewed them I imagine they will stack on that charges as well.

Also add unsafe operating equipment judging from the lack of tread on the tires as is shown on the wanted poster. Those tires were practically bald, IMO. At least it is a valid charge here in Louisiana.

MOO

You don't run when you're innocent, IMO.
I agree that running is foolish, but his photo and name have just been made public across the entire nation in connection with a possible murder case--of a white girl. I would think a person might well run in terror if he is innocent, black, and thinks he is being railroaded. I'm not saying he IS bring railroaded, mind you--only that if he is innocent and FEELS he's being railroaded, I can see his response being to flee in fear. Not the smartest thing to do, but who can explain the actions that fear inspires? JMO.

I would bet the two family members who went to the police with him convinced him that he should talk to the police and offered to go with him for moral support. I don't know whether he did it or not, but everything I've seen suggests his family (at least his mother's side) is really nice. It sounds like they wanted to do the right thing.

If they were with him during the "getaway" I would bet they are pretty unhappy right now.

I know if I were JM I'd want my family there in case the police mistreated me or did anything I felt was unlawful. I'm just speculating he at least brought his sister since he was last seen driving her car.

Of course. But so many on here are saying that he is wise to not speak to police *until he has an attorney.* He asked for one, he received one. Now, by that logic, he should sit down and talk to the police. If nothing useful emerges, at least he did it. By not even doing that, he looks even more guilty (which I think he is).

You don't just receive a lawyer. You have to retain a lawyer and that costs $$$. You can't go to a police station and be magically given a free lawyer who will take your case. Once you have been arrested, you can access a public defender. The lawyer he spoke with at the police station likely just told him his options and to say NOTHING until he had retained a lawyer. Some lawyers will give 10-30 minutes of free general advice and that is likely what he had.

I do wish LE would address the clearing of WG, just to show they did more than say "okay, thanks, good night". Jmo

How is that defamation?

Behind, so someone else may have responded, but she certainly did not "step off the face of the earth". At best, it is hyperbole. Why use this type of inflammatory rhetoric? Why not simply say "disappeared" or "went missing"? Not sure if it is technically defamation, but it's darn close. Moo

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

JM seems to have had a lot of experience with the courts and DMV, traffic, that sort of violation. He likely picked up his attorneys, if he got any, from those mulling around the courts. He and his family probably thought due to the seriousness of the situation that he would get a public defender. I don't think they understood that he was not being arrested or accused at that point. JM did get time with an attorney who likely clarified the situation to him and told him he did not have to talk to LE and that he should not. This must have been very confusing to him. I'd have been confused too if police showed up at my place at an off time with a warrent to search and seize my car and search my home, and then wanted to talk to me. I don't think LE gives out much info to anyone when this happens, so my reaction too, would have been to get an attorney. So as an innocent person, I'd not be feeling kindly or cooperative at all towards the police at this point in time, and I don't think anyone would even given the seriousness of the missing person. Yes, I'd selfishly be thinking about myself and be scared out of my mind, paranoid and not at all friendly with the police.

I still don't get how LE got a search warrent for the car, was able to seize it, got search warrent for the apts, and yet can't touch the owner of said car, resident of said apartment.

In what way? You mean to arrest him or for DNA? I think if they had a body they would have cause to seize his DNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ragnimom