VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT- In looking up "age of consent" for Virginia, I read that sex between two unmarried people is illegal.

Also...though it seems clear to most of us that any sex act would not have been consented to by Hannah, I fear we might be hearing "consensual " in a trial, by the defense, if it is determined that actual sex took place. Her going with him willing to bar and maybe into car (if not witnesses to say otherwise) will be likely brought up to show that she liked/wanted to be with him. There are a lot of reasons for JM not to have given a statement if he is guilty. We still don't know if when LE "talked" with him on Friday, if he said anything "for the record" that can now be disputed.

I hope it does not go there...

The comment about drunk and consent is correct. Drunk/inebriated/compromised people cant legally consent to sex.
And where does one draw the line as to what is too drunk to consent? There have been cases with video where it was clear a woman was just about comatose and getting raped. Even with those cases, there were people that thought the victim was consenting. Personally, I think there are too many women claiming 'date rape' when it really wasn't, but that is outside the scope of this case.

So if they don't find Hannah (and I hope that's not true) eventually will they charge him with murder if there is evidence that something happened?

Hard to say...they would need to find evidence of a crime, usually,i.e blood, etc. jmo
They did have some signs of a struggle in the case for Alexis Murphy, including a torn fingernail, I believe.

After the new charges, we did hear from MSM that a lawyer has been hired but unclear if for JM for for his family ay this point. Still have not located JM.

Washington Post, 9/23/2014

...Charlottesville lawyer James L. Camblos III, who has been a prosecutor in Albemarle County and nearby Waynesboro, said that he met with Matthew on Saturday and has been retained by Matthew’s family. Camblos couldn’t immediately be reached Tuesday night.

link to article - http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...6b5ed2-42a8-11e4-b47c-f5889e061e5f_story.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/09/23/missing-persons-children-numbers/16110709/

By the numbers: Missing persons in the USA

On average, 90,000 people are missing in the USA at any given time, according to Todd Matthews from the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, or NamUs, a national database for missing people.

In light of the recent disappearance of Hannah Graham from Charlottesville, Va., USA TODAY Network looks at the numbers of missing people from the FBI's National Crime Information Center, NCIC. Unless otherwise noted, these data are accurate as of Sept. 1, 2014.

<sniped & BBM - Read More>

Hard to say...they would need to find evidence of a crime, usually,i.e blood, etc. jmo
They did have some signs of a struggle in the case for Alexis Murphy, including a torn fingernail, I believe.

"On the second day of the murder trial of Randy Allen Taylor, Commonwealth’s Attorney Anthony Martin’s 40-minute opening statement laid out his case against Taylor.... Martin detailed the physical evidence found in Taylor’s camper—Murphy’s blood, torn fingernail, and hair with roots attached—and connected Taylor to Murphy’s car found in the Carmike Theatre parking lot, while defense attorney Michael Hallahan stressed to the jury, “There’s way too much reasonable doubt.” From C-Vile, 5/2/2014 "Randy Taylor Trial Day Two"
http://www.c-ville.com/randy-taylor-trial-day-two-murphys-blood-found/#.VCLJ6PldXTo

According to the law, abduction does not have to be force.

Hannah could have willingly gotten into his car and he drove off with her. He did not drive her to her intended location.

That is abduction, especially because she was drunk.

Perhaps LE found photos on his phone as well.....JMO.

I want JLM to have the best attorney around, so that there is less chance a conviction would be appealed or overturned.

I agree. If he is in touch with his lawyer........his lawyer cannot tell him to keep running and not come back. He would be disbarred for doing so. If he talks to JM he has to urge him to return. He will tell him to come back to C'ville to face the charges and he will see to it that he gets a fair trial.

IMO

I wonder if cab drivers has set areas they worked in or did they rotate out in the city? There have to be logs of fairs etc? I wonder how long they keep those records. i keep coming back to the thought he showed her his old credentials and she felt she was safe getting a ride home with him

If I were the police I would be talking to JLMs old boss at the cab company and asking for his help in some of these out of the way areas he mentioned.

If all the cab drivers in the city of C-Ville got together and helped with the search while they were off duty they could cover an incredible amount of ground.

Not to mention the good publicity from such an act would go a long ways to erasing any negative connotation people may have about cab drivers due to JLM's association....no matter how tenuous.

Plus its the right thing to do if they have knowledge that can help the police in this case.

JMO

I agree. If he is in touch with his lawyer........his lawyer cannot tell him to keep running and not come back. He would be disbarred for doing so. If he talks to JM he has to urge him to return. He will tell him to come back to C'ville to face the charges and he will see to it that he gets a fair trial.

IMO

That's what I've been wondering since learning he had hired an attorney last night. Surely the attorney would implore him to meet with him and turn himself in?

So if they don't find Hannah (and I hope that's not true) eventually will they charge him with murder if there is evidence that something happened?

In my opinion that's where this is headed.

I just wanted to make a comment about JM being older than HG etc. Well it is more common than folks think for a 30 Plus guy to be attracted to a younger woman. It was not like Hannah had a tag around her neck saying she was only 18..even so most men don't care. My experience with men is that they feel entitled to a younger woman, its almost expected. There are jokes about women being traded in for newer models, many wealthy men have women 2 and three times younger than them. Our society almost makes it a trophy to be with a younger woman. I recall a few yrs ago when President Regan or Bush not sure had a coke commercial with Brittney spears and they were obviously checking her out in the commercial, she was probably barely 18.
Men checking out younger women is common, wanting to be with younger women is normal also.. Why do you think they have cheerleaders at the football games? You think your 30,40,50 yr old spouse isnt checking these girls out? Yea they are otherwise they wouldn't put them on there. I personally think it is F'D up and pedo-ish myself, but this is a mans world and it is sexist and unfortunately we have to live in it...most men think its just normal..
I have heard many men older men talking about the younger women in the office or as customers and believe me, they would have relations with them in a heartbeat, even the married ones..Pretty sad.
So a 32 yr old picking up college girls to me is pretty normal from what I've seen...and some women honestly like older men, not saying HG liked JM but I've known girls that liked older men..

I wonder if their train of thought was as such:

abduction can be anything - you don't have to move a person from one location or another, all that matters is that you have physical contact (correct me if I'm wrong - it may just be as simple as preventing someone from leaving an area) and that person feels unsafe or intimidated, unable to leave. Did they choose abduction for the video footage of JM with his arm around HG? That, if she felt unsafe, could be considered abduction.

As for intent to defile, I know they say they have forensic evidence.. I wonder if they have a hair of hers in his car, or, if they have semen maybe somewhere in the car (though I would have to question how old said semen is). Or, did they get the intent to defile when they heard accounts that he bought her a drink?

All JMO - I don't bash you on your opinions, so please do not bash me for mine. :twocents:

Suspect charged in case of missing UVa student

Associated Press 9:34 a.m. EDT September 24, 2014

Charlottesville, Va. — Even with a suspect charged in the disappearance of a missing University of Virginia student, police are stressing the search for the 18-year-old sophomore from northern Virginia remains in full force.

Authorities late Tuesday obtained a felony arrest warrant from a magistrate on a charge of abduction with intent to defile against 32-year-old Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., who police believe was the last person seen with Hannah Graham. Graham was last seen early the morning of Sept. 13...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/24/missing-uva-student/16140993/

According to the law, abduction does not have to be force.

Hannah could have willingly gotten into his car and he drove off with her. He did not drive her to her intended location.

That is abduction, especially because she was drunk.

Perhaps LE found photos on his phone as well.....JMO.

Abduction, even under false pretenses, is a felony.

No one is allowed to hold another person against their will. Not even for five minutes.

And we all know by now if Hannah had her own choice and free will she would be home by now.:(

I think if they find him or Hannah and as more discovery comes in these charges will be upgraded.

IMO

The comment about drunk and consent is correct. Drunk/inebriated/compromised people cant legally consent to sex.
Yes. So many young women experience sexual assault in this way and don't report it. Hannah's story (up until her disappearance) is so familiar. Young intoxicated girl, who is easy to take advantage of, going home with a guy, who seems to be ready to do just that. The difference, of course, is that she didn't come home the next morning.

That's what I've been wondering since learning he had hired an attorney last night. Surely the attorney would implore him to meet with him and turn himself in?

Exactly - any decent, ethical attorney would arrange to have their client turn themselves in, of course with the attorney being present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safetycircle