VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope your disappointment won't be too great if he isn't involved.....:facepalm:

I feel the same. It has nothing to do with a desire to be right, and everything with finding hannah. The video was creepy, no two ways about it...

MOD NOTE: BE SURE you are posting about the correct individual. Time Outs will be issued for posting information about anyone other than the named POI.

Apologies for beating a dead horse, as I have said this elsewhere, but Chief Longo was very specific on Friday in saying that the POI's car had *not* been searched at the time that they "developed probable cause" to obtain a search warrant for the apartment. You can watch him interacting with a reporter who asks him about it here (jump to 2:22) --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCPPS1pb56Q

Hmmm. . it's kind of vague. The probable cause devolped while they were there to get the car. Either it was due to some other part of the investigation, or it could have been something in plain sight in the car. Soooo. . .probably not the receipt, but maybe something else. I also wonder if a neighbor didn't come out and speak to them during that time. . . like saying they saw Hannah at the apartment. :dunno:

From the link, forgive me, they meant well, but reading the comments about poi, reminded me of an unintentional script for a crime film/show....imo

"Mrs Carr added she was confident her 32-year-old grandson, who has dreadlocks, has nothing to do with the disappearance of Hannah, who has not been seen since the early hours of last Saturday morning.

‘LJ would never hurt anybody,' Mrs Carr, 82, from Charlottesville, told MailOnline. 'I know he is a good boy. I have known him all his life.

‘I’m sure he had nothing to do with it. He is a good boy. He has worked ever since he was able to work. He has never been in trouble. He would do anything to help anybody.

‘I practically raised LJ,' Mrs Carr added. 'His mom was working and I looked after him and his sister, Nicky.

‘He had a live-in girlfriend but I don’t know what happened. They lived together at his apartment.'

Mrs Carr said she last saw her grandson on Thursday, when he visited her house along with his mother.

‘He had two bowls of greens and he took some with him,' Mrs Carr said. 'He loves my cooking.’"

Re: talking to the police if you are a poi or a suspect.

One should talk to a lawyer first.

Naturally. Always talk to your lawyer and always have one present. But to say "NEVER talk to the police if you are POI" is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You need to analyze your circumstances and then make a decision based upon that. Sometimes it is very much so in your best interest to talk to the cops when you are a POI.

Uh, yes it is. It is not proof, but it is certainly evidence. If you are the last person to have had contact with someone who disappeared, then that is evidence of your involvement. It is not proof, and it certainly is not great evidence, but it is evidence nonetheless.

From everything that I have read, there is a lot of good evidence which points to this JL guy.

So, just by him being the last person to see her is enough for them to get a warrant for his DNA? Wonder why they haven't done that yet (or maybe they have).

I keep hearing that they searched all 4 apartments, and I don't understand how a judge approved warrants for the other 3 apartments ????

Yeah, that's one of the weirdest things I've heard about in a while.

Regardless of the choice of terms used, SOMETHING about the car enabled them to both REMOVE it from the property to execute a search on it, and also to get a judge to sign off on a search of the apartment!
Police already had a warrant for the vehicle in hand when they arrived at the property - a warrant which has been sealed, so we don't know what the probable cause was that convinced a judge to issue the warrant (well, other than what Longo said about it.) But it's possible that the car had nothing to do with the probable cause that allowed them to seek a second warrant for the apartment. For example, there was a dumpster located adjacent to that building, and it doesn't require a warrant to look inside a dumpster. There are a number of other possibilities that might be independent of the vehicle. I'm really not trying to split hairs, just pointing out that it doesn't logically follow that the vehicle contains critical evidence.

And yet you could still be right - if they looked in the vehicle and saw something clearly belonging to Hannah, it wouldn't take a search of the vehicle to have probable cause. A sworn officer's statement to a judge would be sufficient at that point.

Is it possible that the other 3 apartments are vacant? There have been cases in the past where crimes were committed in vacant apartments. Has it been confirmed that residents are currently living in the other 3 apartments? They may be for sale. I saw some listed on Zillow.

NBC 12 just named Jesse Matthew as the POI.

ETA... it also says police have not talked with him yet. Hm???

Yes, that's how I read the Daily Mail article from yesterday. That they briefly talked to him, then he disappeared?

Would it be presumptuous to think police, by having his car, also have his DNA too?

Also, these posters thought it was a guy named frank. Exactly why we don't sleuth FB rumors!

Gee, if writing in a notebook in a public place is evidence of being mentally challenged, I am in BIG trouble.

Police already had a warrant for the vehicle in hand when they arrived at the property - a warrant which has been sealed, so we don't know what the probable cause was that convinced a judge to issue the warrant. But it's possible that the car had nothing to do with the probable cause that allowed them to seek a second warrant for the apartment. For example, there was a dumpster located adjacent to that building, and it doesn't require a warrant to look inside a dumpster. There are a number of other possibilities that might be independent of the vehicle. I'm really not trying to split hairs, just pointing out that it doesn't logically follow that the vehicle contains critical evidence.

And yet you could still be right - if they looked in the vehicle and saw something clearly belonging to Hannah, it wouldn't take a search of the vehicle to have probable cause. A sworn officer's statement to a judge would be sufficient at that point.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I now see what you mean.

Perhaps the license plate had been removed... and a neighbor reported that it had been removed in the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustMe196503