VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumping off here... then why did the police chief say she had a purpose and was intentionally meeting him? Am I bleary or did I not see that quoted? This would not be the first contradiction in what LE says, obviously.

Hmm I didn't see that. If you find a link, post it because that would be interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...25aab8-4001-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html

If it is accurate, as said at the link above, that she texted friends more than once about being lost and also at one point was asking them to come find her... then I really do believe she was confused and lost and was not using being lost as an 'excuse'. There's no reason she would ask her drunk friends to come find her if she was actually trying to blow them off, IMO.

HOW could she be lost after having been there for a year already? What do they mean by disoriented? How could she get so turned around? I have been lost like that in big cities but only the first time I went to an area. Why did she ask no one for help or directions if she was truly lost?

The guy leaning against the post has short sleeves. The man at the table has long sleeves. He sees HG walk back across the street. Than very briefly you see some exit out the side where that car is parked.

Jumping off here... then why did the police chief say she had a purpose and was intentionally meeting him? Am I bleary or did I not see that quoted? This would not be the first contradiction in what LE says, obviously.

He said the first part, not the second. Something like she looked like she had a purpose.

In the video after HG walks up the ramp, a guy sitting at the table (dark shirt or jacket with white inner shirt) gets up and walks out, then you see a guy leaning against the railing like he's talking to someone, the guy has a dark shirt/jacket on, I don't know if HG is still at the pub or has left.

The guy leaning against the rails has short sleeves. The man at the table has long sleeves. He sees HG walk back across the street. Than very briefly you see someone exit out the side where that car is parked.

What is meant is that after 12 a bar cannot sell any alcohol that can be taken off premises. Many bars here you can buy a bottle of wine or "growler" of beer and take home with you. Last call in Virginia is typically 1:30 am and bars must be closed by 2 am. Though don't forget this is a bar in a college town, we've had many here in H'burg lose thier license due to not following the above rules. So really anything is possible.

*This was in reply to an above post. Thought I hit reply.. maybe I just scrolled to the message box... lol Don't know pretty tired.

Hmm I didn't see that. If you find a link, post it because that would be interesting.

he said she was walking with purpose or something like that, which she was. he also said she didn't know JM.
when did she get lost? on her way back from Grady's did she go the wrong way on Preston and end up downtown? That may make sense. But why text that she's lost near her apt if she's really downtown? But why would you have drinks with a stranger if you are lost?
This makes no freakin sense.

YES, except I think she was not very drunk or lost. There has been a lot of exaggeration about that but she is moving pretty well and purposefully, and we have a lot of video time of her not drinking.

On the other hand we know she is going to a party and is no stranger to drinking (and this is reasonable, she is European and has been living with and experiencing alcohol for several years. Yes she lives in VA, but is in Europe every summer.)

We also know she is extremely sharp, worldly, witty. This is a smart woman, studious. No evidence of any interest in drugs, but like most college students knows how to party.

Her room has 20 or 30 booze bottles on top of the cabinet. How did she accumulate those, being under age? Well, people OF age buy it for her, of course. (PD should ask her roomies about that, "Hey, where'd all those bottles come from...?)

There are no drug deals, ruffies/spiked drinks, sex slave rings!

So what is she doing?

She's going to a party, and she is not going empty handed. She is going to buy something to bring, which is not a big deal to her except the silly US drinking age.

She goes right to McGrady's, looks twice in the beer garden for someone she knows, doesn't find him. Looks for his car, then looks for a third time at the front door. She goes further to the mall, and then finds him. First, they pass by each other going opposite directions and she doesn't see him. Then LJ wheels around to go the same direction, then off video passes the other group, calls out, "Hey, Hoo!" He doesn't know her by name, nor does she know him by name, only by sight. Hannah turns around and spots him, lets him catch up and discreetly tells him she needs some drinks for the party. (WG sees all this and bails.) LJ walks with her toward Tempo, now on the second video. He pops in, buys it, brings it out they part.

She heads back on Waters to try to find the party and gets to her neighborhood, but can't remember what apartment the party is in, texts she's coming but "lost". She is not LOST lost, she just can't find the party.

Then something bad happens.

LJ probably isn't involved beyond helping her out with the purchase but he isn't going to talk. He is black and she is white, young, connected. The police are not his friend. In his mind he might even get shot before this thing gets solved. Heck, they already took his car and ransacked his house! At the least the DA would need to give him immunity for buying for her (which he probably did in the past as well, for her and others.) But probably he still won't talk, and if you think about it from his perspective it makes sense.

I do hope they find her soon, sounds like a one-of-a-kind person. The world needs her.

Wow! You know so much about HG! You know how many booze bottles are in her room, do you know her personally? Do you know LJ personally? (Not at all being snarky).

Actually, all the articles I am reading say her last post was at 1:06 right before LM approached her and they then went to the bar.

From surveillance video police have found, it appears that Graham simply was walking in the wrong direction while trying to meet up with friends. Police detective James Mooney said that in her text messages to friends, Graham indicated that she was lost and disoriented, at one point saying she was on Main Street when she actually was on Preston Avenue.
Graham also indicated that she believed she was walking back toward her home when she was actually headed the opposite way, authorities said. She also texted friends asking for someone to come find her after she realized she was lost. She last texted friends at 1:06 a.m., about the time that the man in dreadlocks encountered her.
Longo, the police chief, said it is clear that Graham walked to the mall on her own — more than a mile from her apartment — and that police believe she could have left the mall in the man’s vehicle after joining him at Tempo, a restaurant and bar.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...25aab8-4001-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html

Interesting- I have on fox and wtvr last text was 1:20. More conflicting info?

Also: JMO but race relations with LE is a problem everywhere if you are African American. Just saying.

Actually, all the articles I am reading say her last post was at 1:06 right before LM approached her and they then went to the bar.

From surveillance video police have found, it appears that Graham simply was walking in the wrong direction while trying to meet up with friends. Police detective James Mooney said that in her text messages to friends, Graham indicated that she was lost and disoriented, at one point saying she was on Main Street when she actually was on Preston Avenue.
Graham also indicated that she believed she was walking back toward her home when she was actually headed the opposite way, authorities said. She also texted friends asking for someone to come find her after she realized she was lost. She last texted friends at 1:06 a.m., about the time that the man in dreadlocks encountered her.
Longo, the police chief, said it is clear that Graham walked to the mall on her own — more than a mile from her apartment — and that police believe she could have left the mall in the man’s vehicle after joining him at Tempo, a restaurant and bar.

she appears to have some really crappy friends.

Quoting myself from up thread, hoping someone knows the answer to my question.

Someone posted a news story a few pages back that the people who lived in the apartment had disappeared by the time the police came back with a search warrant for the apartment. I would assume they haven't been back to the apt, and the police don't know where he is.

Respectfully, that doesn't mean much to me. We actually don't know if he was drinking at all that night up until the point he went into Tempo... we don't know what he was doing at the mall. But what I really wanted to say was I don't think it is a sound assumption that he is not genuine in his christian faith if he drinks alcohol. There are many different strokes for different folks as far as christianity goes. Many, many christians drink and are not morally opposed to alcohol.

IDK if he is responsible for this crime or not but... I just had to say that. :)

This is so true, many sincere Christians drink alcohol, the arm around the 18 year old and buying her drinks may be the question.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with your post. JMO I also have grown up in VA. I think the race relations may differ from area to area, city to city, and person to person. But I can say that the same racial tension is present in the city that I live in now, as well as the Virginia city that I grew up in. I can distinctly recall a time during high school, when some students threw white sheets over their heads and drove around the parking lot raising confederate flags yelling "the South will rise again". I also recall a police offer coming onto our bus to have a talk with us about some discrimination and/or hate crimes that were going on in our neighborhood. Please keep in mind I graduated high school in 2011. It's awful. JMO though. Anything is possible.

Following this a bit, since I live in Harrisonburg which is about an hour away from C'ville. I just needed to add that I have seen many people here comment about race relations in this area, all in a negative light. I was born and raised here and lived most of my 33 years locally (even a few years in LE) except for about a decade globe trotting in the military, along with living for a bit in New York and LA. Let me just say the race relations here are no where near what many on here are making them out to be. In fact in the above two mentioned cities race relations are infinitely worse, then anywhere around here. Many people think south and automatically their mind goes to Selma, Alabama circa 1960s, that is not here. And yes I know many minorities, heck my wife is a minority and I have rarely if ever heard them complain or even mention race relations around here. Just a putting it out, some on here are really blowing that possible aspect of this case way out of proportion.

One more commonality in the disappearance of all of the women from C'ville. They all have occurred in the fall months. Is it because there are more potential victims (new students?) in the fall? Or something else, I wonder... That's just something that struck me.

That could be, but it would seem like it could be hard to know who would be newer and not unless the person was very involved at a particular educational facility or something.

I'd guess weather could factor in to some extent (if these VA cases end up related).

When you start getting into November and then through spring, you're far less likely to have people out on foot - especially at night and in the early morning hours. Harder to find targets out walking, under the influence of something, that are such easy prey I'd suspect.

Perhaps too many people out and about even at those odd hours during summer because of so many not having the same responsibilities (or being back in town for college) then make it riskier to possibly be caught or seen picking up someone during the peak of summer fun / holiday times?

Or someone with a seasonal job or hobby? Someone only in the area during those months? Or with more free time during those months? Or expected to be out and about more in those months so more opportunity?

Honestly no two news or LE sources have provided consistent descriptions of the texts, or released them in totality for that matter. The WaPost link above is old and has the info out of sequence.

I really don't think she was lost at McGrady's and at the downtown mall.

As to the alcohol "off" SHE wasn't buying, but LJ told his grandmother he bought her alcohol. Are you saying that is impossible?

Fair questions though.

The other thing that makes me wonder is what about actual calling of friends? If friends are not texting her back and she was truly distressed, why not press the little phone icon and actually voice call or face time?
Yes, buying alcohol to take home with you is impossible after midnight in Virginia.

She may have been pretty intoxicated when she left the party, but she's not visibly impaired on the majority of the videos released. She's a little off in the one by the pub, but no more than I am if I try to text and walk! She's walking fast and steady plus all that walking would have burned off a lot of the alcohol.

Regarding texting vs. calling, as someone with awful service at home I've learned texts will go through while calls are repeatedly dropped. I also assume texting uses less battery.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with your post. JMO I also have grown up in VA. I think the race relations may differ from area to area, city to city, and person to person. But I can say that the same racial tension is present in the city that I live in now, as well as the Virginia city that I grew up in. I can distinctly recall a time during high school, when some students threw white sheets over their heads and drove around the parking lot raising confederate flags yelling "the South will rise again". I also recall a police offer coming onto our bus to have a talk with us about some discrimination and/or hate crimes that were going on in our neighborhood. Please keep in mind I graduated high school in 2011. It's awful. JMO though. Anything is possible.

Yeah! I grew up in Fredericksburg, and now live in Richmond.

In HS we had some serious racist.

Sorry, sorry, I combined the walking with purpose of Longo with the witness account of thinking they knew each other. Yikes. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member