VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a warrant to seize the car, is alone evidence enough that he is suspect and not a POI. I don't understand why they continue to use the term POI. They may have evidence to the contrary, which they can't divulge. But it just all feels off to me.

POI in past cases have had warrants issues and been cleared. A POI is just that until LE says otherwise.

I guess my hang up stems from the squickiness I feel if I allow myself to believe that's what happened. It looks like that would open up a big ol' can of worms at trial or if he was found guilty if he actually retained the attorney the police went out and grabbed at Starbucks for him to chat with, know what I mean? I don't know, jmo.

Imo, they gave him a commonly used list of attorneys that I'm sure they have sitting around, or they gave him the yellow pages. I really don't remember Longo saying they "got him an attorney." Jmo

Yikes! Not exactly a cool ride in which to lure a person. Surely someone would notice such a conspicuous vehicle!

My thoughts exactly. What a hunk of junk, especially/U] on the passenger side. What suburban, intelligent, rational person would get in there voluntarily?

If the police station is near a courtroom, there are usually a number of lawyers hanging around. Any one of them might have represented JM in this matter, They love big cases like this instead of the usual penny ante fare. It's pretty clear that the smart thing for JM to do in this case was NOT to talk to the police and the police had nothing they could do to make him do more than they did. Clearly they need more information, more evidence. When the forensics reports return, we'll see if they come up with anything. OTherwise, they are on empty without that or something else.

Whether he is guilty of anything more than having drinks with Hannah or not, he certainly should be afraid. Looks very bad for him regardless of whether he did anything or not. I'm sure his lawyer spelled it out to him clearly and advised him what the best thing FOR HIM is.

They need an eye witness of her getting into his car, not of them walking together after leaving Tempo.

My belief is that they don't have an eye witness for this. In the press conference before the one today Longo said they have a video of JM's car driving away then Longo pleaded with the public saying if you saw her in that car or her getting into the car tell us. He said the same thing in today's press conference. This makes me think they don't have an eye witness. This seems to be were the trail runs cold.

something that confuses me (one of many !)

if they got a warrant to his car & house, how come they didn't bring him in for questioning?
is someone else connected to the car and the pressure's on Jessie to reveal who was using it?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/search-war...ginia-student-hannah-graham/story?id=25621541

The first warrant was a search and seizure warrant for a vehicle which was executed shortly after midnight. When police arrived at the apartment building and seized the car, a person connected to the car was in his apartment with two others. Police identified those individuals, but the officer did not feel he had the grounds to detain the individuals, Longo said.

After seizing the car and taking it to an undisclosed location for the full search, investigators developed probable cause and sought approvals for the two other warrants. Police arrived back at the apartment shortly after 10 a.m. and the three individuals were no longer inside, Longo said.

For reckless, people are not usually placed under arrest - just given a summons and a court date they HAVE to appear for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if the police are planning on using this to keep him jailed while they investigate they may be sorely disappointed. I imagine a good defense attorney would be all over this, starting with what Longo said and implied (and how he said it) regarding JLM and noting the truly vicious, racist and threatening comments made about JLM by others. From there it wouldn't be a leap to prove that JLM was fearful of those following ("Did you ever activate your sirens and lights, officer?").

This could well backfire on LE.

(What in the world----just now getting a chance to view the Latest Press Conference---really weird imo, I'm waiting for this speaker to either start quoting bible verses and ask us to praise Jesus, or ask for our vote in the next election. jmo Sorry, no disrespect meant, he just has a different hora than other LE speakers I've seen in past pc's, jmo)

eta: he reminds me George Bush, Jr, his mannerisms, expressions and style of speech. jmo

Reminds me of Bill Clinton....

Because LE scared the crap out of him by taking his car and then busting into his house at 5:45am. I truly think he would reacted differently if LE would have calmly knocked on his door in the middle of the afternoon and said "we understand you may have spent some time with the missing Hannah Graham on Friday/Saturday . . . . what can you tell us about that". I truly believe he would have cooperate. I think he clammed-up because he was abruptly awoken, told his car had been impounded and told to not touch anything in the apartment, step outside, while they executed the search warrant. I'm sure he was shaken!

So the cops should have waited till later in the day and given him more time to possibly destroy evidence?

Police want to start searching as soon as those warrants are signed. A girl is missing and might possibly being held somewhere against her will. Finding Hannah is the main focus. I don't care if they woke JM up from his sleep.

jmo

He actually said the complete opposite. He said there are no other videos after the Tuel video.

Wrong.
He very clearly stated (not Longo....the other cop) that they had video of them AFTER leaving Tempo.

Imo, they gave him a commonly used list of attorneys that I'm sure they have sitting around, or they gave him the yellow pages. I really don't remember Longo saying they "got him an attorney." Jmo

I admittedly have not listen to the presser again to confirm, but my recollection is that he said "and we found him one" or "and we got him one" -- something like that. I think that's so many thought it was so weird. It may be that Longo just didn't want to get into the minutiae, like, "he asked for an attorney, so we gave him a list. He picked a name and used our phone to call that person..." and just wanted to indicate that JM did talk to one.

Actually a co-worker said he had a rep as being kind of creepy with the ladies and issues with personal space. I read it this morning so I suppose it was in the previous thread.

POI has a trespassing after being warned on his record. That is many times seen in domestic cases.

And there is an Indecent Exposure charge, but we need clarification on whether that is the POI or his father.

Additional information on that charge would be appreciated - specifically to check the DOB of the perpetrator.

'

POI in past cases have had warrants issues and been cleared. A POI is just that until LE says otherwise.

That's fine, but careless use of the term is problematic. It may be a euphemism for suspect to some, or mean something entirely different to others. I'd hope they want to avoid a 'trial by media' with this case. Considering how open they have been with a lot of information, that is worrisome.

So the cops should have waited till later in the day and given him more time to possibly destroy evidence?

Police want to start searching as soon as those warrants are signed. A girl is missing and might possibly being held somewhere against her will. Finding Hannah is the main focus. I don't care if they woke JM up from his sleep.

jmo

And that is fine. But then don't act surprised when the POI doesn't want to talk without a lawyer, and if their lawyer says don't talk they don't talk. LE can be doing what they think is right, and JM can be doing what he thinks is right.

jmo

The police did not bust in on him sleeping at 5:45 a.m. I don't know where this is coming from. Besides, who would be able to sleep after having their car confiscated as the result of a search warrant?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/search-war...ginia-student-hannah-graham/story?id=25621541

The first warrant was a search and seizure warrant for a vehicle which was executed shortly after midnight. When police arrived at the apartment building and seized the car, a person connected to the car was in his apartment with two others. Police identified those individuals, but the officer did not feel he had the grounds to detain the individuals, Longo said.

After seizing the car and taking it to an undisclosed location for the full search, investigators developed probable cause and sought approvals for the two other warrants. Police arrived back at the apartment shortly after 10 a.m. and the three individuals were no longer inside, Longo said.

My thoughts exactly. What a hunk of junk, especially/U] on the passenger side. What suburban, intelligent, rational person would get in there voluntarily?

BBM; But we don't know if she was rational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ouisie