VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is POI spent an hour at the police dept. He didn't just walk in, ask for an attorney, and walk out. Source: Saturday press conference

There are some certainties in this case, some possibilities and some things that are not possible. We should categorize those things properly. That the evidence is not looking good for JM, does not mean that he has to be a perp in this case. AT this point in time, there is not evidence for the police to charge him with anything. They don't have any proof at this point in time, whether there is even a crime committed, though it's clear that Hannah Graham has disappeared. Having the dog go through the area, pretty much indicates that she was there, and then the trail ended, which pretty much means that she went into a vehicle. That JM has been pinpointed as the last person to have been identified to be with Hannah, that he had a car in the area close to where her trail ended, are all things that point to him. There is likely to be other evidence as well, given the search warrent for the car and the apartment. But, not enough to charge him with anything and so far not a word about any arrest. Yet, Longo and LE are using very aggressive language and tactics about implicating him.

That he is refusing to talk, that he did not come in to the police when the video footage and missing news reports were aired are not necessarily indicators of his guilt. Nor is his situation. All of these things do, however, add up in the "probable" column. Bear in mind that the police cannot arrest him...yet. Other cases have been cited where the body did not show up, yet a suspect was arrested, tried and convicted. JM is not at the arrest stage even..yet.

My understanding is POI spent an hour at the police dept. He didn't just walk in, ask for an attorney, and walk out. Source: Saturday press conference

yes, he was there for an hour talking to a lawyer before leaving

any sign of him today?

yes, he was there for an hour talking to a lawyer before leaving

any sign of him today?

The sun hasn't even come up yet on the east coast.....he's probably still sleeping (or maybe not...).

Exactly. They eliminated them and this progressed the case. At this moment in time JM is hindering the investigation into Hannah's disappearance. Had he co-operated, gone in and spoken to the police, told them what they needed to know, then I'm sure he wouldn't be being persued so intensely. I'm well aware that he's quite within his rights not to speak, but the bigger picture here is that a young girl is missing. Police want to find her. They don't want to arrest and charge the wrong person. How will that help them solve this case?

I agree with you, but when you have professors? on Youtube and police officers both advising people NOT to talk to police as posted on previous threads.......

It all seems counterproductive to me as an outsider and no doubt frustrating to say the least for the police trying to find a missing girl.

The weekend has come and gone.

I think just about everybody was sure that over a thousand volunteers would find her during the last two days.

They didn't.

Now what ??
:thinking:

The POI managed to dump their surveillance :seeya: and go into hiding. :hills: :back: They slapped a misdemeanor traffic charge on him in an effort to detain him when found. :behindbar

Even if they arrested him 5 minutes from now, :copcar: I think they can pretty much count on a total lack of cooperation in regards to questioning him about her location now, and the events of that evening. :banghead:

So.........now what ?? :dunno:

a lot of police forces are fond of pre-dawn raids

they suns not up yet in VA, eh?:juggle:

I suppose they could start searching areas where they DON'T think she would be..........................

I hope they are checking street view cameras near his home to try to pinpoint when he got home. Also, I am sure they checked out cameras in downtown to determine direction he went. I just want them to find Hannah and JM has offered no assistance with that.

Hopefully, LE will get the forensics on the orange car today or tomorrow. I read the results were expected MON or TUE but don't have a link, sorry. Where's Hannah?

The weekend has come and gone.

I think just about everybody was sure that over a thousand volunteers would find her during the last two days.

They didn't.

Now what ??
:thinking:

The POI managed to dump their surveillance :seeya: and go into hiding. :hills: :back: They slapped a misdemeanor traffic charge on him in an effort to detain him when found. :behindbar

Even if they arrested him 5 minutes from now, :copcar: I think they can pretty much count on a total lack of cooperation in regards to questioning him about her location now, and the events of that evening. :banghead:

So.........now what ?? :dunno:

Seldom are the remains or personal items of innocent abduction victims of sexual predators/serial killers located in the same police jurisdiction as the abduction site.
Most experienced predators are aware of this. Although the area of HG's disappearance had to be searched and ruled out, it is likely that she will be located miles from where she was abducted, if she is deceased, imo...

http://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/pct/USN/TheSignal/Life?articleId=402

Dr Steven Egger, associate professor of criminology at the University of Houston-Clear Lake, is a nationally recognized expert in serial murder <Linkage Blindness>

Dr. Egger says, serial killers continue to kill because some aspect of the murder fulfills a psychological need, either the way in which the murder was committed, or what was done with the body afterwards. Discovering the actual motive is never easy. "It's always a problem trying to figure out why these people do what they do," Egger said. Many had terrible childhoods and were sexually abused, but that is not always true. Not only is it difficult to figure out why serial killers continue to kill, it is also hard for law enforcement agencies to identify a serial killer due to "linkage blindness," another term coined by Egger.

"Police don't share information across jurisdictional boundaries," Egger said. "There's always some friction there." Agencies prefer to worry only about their own jurisdiction, instead of sharing information to work together to solve a murder. Egger says a serial murder investigation may, but not always, have as many as seven different crime scenes: the place the victim was initially lured, transportation to a different location, the place the victim was kept, transportation to another location, where the victim was killed, where the body was dumped, and where the weapon was dumped. "In most instances all the police have is the dumpsite," Egger said.

Egger says the other crime scenes are never investigated because of linkage blindness and the fact that law enforcement officials usually treat serial murder as a single homicide. "But if you find out that you're talking about multiple dumpsites in different jurisdictions, then you have a higher possibility of coming up with some trace evidence, particularly in the first kill," Egger said. "The offender brings something to the crime scene, leaves something at the crime scene, and takes something away from the crime scene," Egger said when explaining his three part premise of a crime scene and the reason there is not always a lot of trace evidence. "If you have someone who is aware of that, who is careful, and you're only dealing with one dumpsite, and you're treating it as a single homicide, you have no way of managing your suspects," Egger said.

Egger says a typical homicide is not difficult to solve because you are simply dealing with people's alibis, and the person without one becomes the prime suspect. However, in a serial murder you do not have that. "All crime is serial in nature," Egger said. "Most criminals, if not caught, will repeat their crime. And if that's true, then you've got to share information."

<sniped - read more>

Chief Longo on CNN right now btw.

here is a map of /crime-tracker-charlottesvill, showing crime around c'ville. I can't see what date range it shows, maybe someone more familiar can confirm if its regularly updated. its a news site from the area nbc29.

http://www.nbc29.com/category/156813/crime-tracker-charlottesville

edit: found dates of crimes by clicking them on map, it has been updated recently most (all?) of the crimes are sept 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member