VA - Herndon, Joseph Ryan shot, Christine Banfield stabbed, both deceased, in home - Feb 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Why did the husband claim he shot the intruder if the au pair actually shot him? Trying to cover for her? Trying to hide his own involvemen? The police DID initially say they thought both the husband and au pair were involved in these two homicides. Wonder if their relationship was simply employer/employee or something else…because the only way I can make sense of it is if the husband and au pair were romantically involved, and contrived a plot to get rid of their spouse/boyfriend in one fell swoop. Maybe she asked her ”friend” over with the intention of having him kill CB (for whatever reason), and once he did that, she shot him knowing she could pin the stabbing death of CB on him. Still doesn’t explain why the husband would say he had shot the man, though…unless the au pair didn’t have a gun license/wasn’t legally permitted to have a firearm?

Last edited:
The husband told police that he shot Ryan. But on Thursday, police said forensic evidence and multiple interviews have shown that Peres Magalhaes shot Ryan.

A police affidavit said the husband is a federal law enforcement officer and carries a gun for work. He initially refused to cooperate with police, according to the affidavit.

"They found a horrific scene. What they did is they found Christine Banfield in an upstairs bedroom. She had been stabbed multiple times in the upper body and Joseph Ryan, who had been shot multiple times in the upper body," Fairfax County Police Lt. Erin Weeks said.

Here is the LE press conference in its entirety. There are some new details, the shooting took place when Brendan Banfield was not in the house. At the end they state that Joe Ryan was known only to Christine Banfield. Of course it's possible that others knew "of" him. Feels like there is a lot more to come out re: forensics and electronic communications.

Brendan Banfield had left for work, so presumably he had his job issued gun with him. Federal workers often start early. After he left, Joe Ryan arrived at the house and then was shot by the au pair per LE.

At some point, before or after the shooting, the au pair called Brendan Banfield. She shot Joe Ryan, prior to Brendan Banfield arriving back at the house. What gun did she use? Had BB left his work issued gun at home that day? With a preschooler in the home I would guess they would have a gun safe, did au pair have access?

What did forensics find re: the knife? What is the backstory re: the 911 hangup? What happened between the 2 911 calls? When did Brendan Banfield arrive back at the house? Seems like so many key pieces re: forensics and electronic evidence is yet to come out, JMOO.

Why did the husband claim he shot the intruder if the au pair actually shot him? Trying to cover for her? Trying to hide his own involvemen? The police DID initially say they thought both the husband and au pair were involved in these two homicides. Wonder if their relationship was simply employer/employee or something else…because the only way I can make sense of it is if the husband and au pair were romantically involved, and contrived a plot to get rid of their spouse/boyfriend in one fell swoop. Maybe she asked her ”friend” over with the intention of having him kill CB (for whatever reason), and once he did that, she shot him knowing she could pin the stabbing death of CB on him. Still doesn’t explain why the husband would say he had shot the man, though…unless the au pair didn’t have a gun license/wasn’t legally permitted to have a firearm?
I think all of this sound plausible <modsnip> I do not believe Joe Ryan was in a romantic relationship with the au pair, he was known only to Christine per the LE press conference linked in this thread. That statement was toward the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all of this sound plausible <modsnip> I do not believe Joe Ryan was in a romantic relationship with the au pair, he was known only to Christine per the LE press conference linked in this thread. That statement was toward the end.

can you please post the nanny's social media? it's allowed since she's been arrested - I looked and can't find it

you can't post the photos but you can post the link to the suspect's social media
ugh unfortunately I have no direct link because her Instagram account is set to “private.” <modsnip>

But here is the link to her profile (again, not much to see because of her privacy settings): Login • Instagram

Have the families and friends of the victims or accused made any statements? Neighbors? anyone? (a part from Ryan's mother)
The interview with Joe Ryan's mom was very sad. LE has always referred to both him and Christine as victims, I'm glad she got an opportunity to speak about him and about her loss.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila
Back