VA VA - Joan Cook, 45, Roanoke County, 24 Jan 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm glad people still check this. I had a busy weekend ; so I couldn't catch up until now, but I agree with what vrg5kxm said. Our neighborhood is pretty tight-knit. Usually if anything happens, we always communicate with our neighbors ; so it surprises me that everyone was left in the dark about this case. I know ( once again like vrg5kxm said ) that I would be combing this neighborhood looking for my spouse if they were missing. I don't know why police didn't question any of the neighbors as well. I know most of the people surrounding them and no one was asked anything.

I haven't noticed anymore activity at the house. I saw a cop pulling away early Saturday morning, but I didn't see any other vehicles. They might have been checking out the place to make sure no one was disturbing it. I know the lights have been left on inside the house since they were there on Thursday. I've been wanting to go see what the paper on the door was, but I figured a foreclosure notice. I have a couple of friends who work for the Roanoke County Police Dept. and they said they had no clue about the case. One of them, who is a bit older, said they had no leads or clues on what has happened. He said they have treated it as if she left and started a new life. He usually tells me things, but he could also be protecting the case ; so it's understandable for him not to say much.

I have been analyzing the information I do know and it's hard to believe she ended up all the way down near the Dixie Caverns area. I keep wondering if maybe she did get a ride ? Maybe the "wrong" kind of ride ? Does anyone know where her friend or the ( ex ? ) boyfriend lives ? It's just weird that if she was near Wildwood Rd. and heading in that direction, that she would get turned around or why should would even go the direction of Elliston/Shawsville ? I also know that when walking, cops and people are always going through all the areas here, even late at night. We would get stopped all the time walking at night as teenagers and questioned where we were going, etc.

So my mom and I were wondering today about when the ( ex ? ) husband got rid of his blue truck since that's what he drove for the longest time. We knew it had to be around the beginning of the year. We checked Google Maps to see the satellite view of our neighborhood and it showed his blue truck parked off to the side at the back of the driveway. The maps have been updated since 2010 ; so the satellite view had to be taken towards the beginning of the year, but when you zoom in using the tool where you can see the street view, the truck is gone. Does anyone know if the police/detectives/CSI have searched the truck ? He could have sold because he needed money, but it just seems kind of sketchy that after she disappeared, it was gone.

Japandaaa... Might be a good idea to call the Roanoke Co. PD tip line and let them know this. LE can track this truck thru the DMV and find out what happened to it and when exactly it was sold/junked.

Also, I walked down to the house tonight ( what an eerie feeling ) and the note on the door is from the Bank of America stating they have seized all items in the house and they are in storage for 20 days. They will be turned over if no one claims them.

Interesting...Left without taking everything. I wonder how much was left? I mentioned this before, but now...this really leads me to wonder if whoever was doing this house cleaning out stumbled upon something and that is why LE came back to check the house...

I might make a trip up to Dixie Caverns later today when the rain quits. I know the owner...I'll ask her if anyone has been up there searching around or asking questions about Joan....since there are some people who do live in the campground portion year round.

hi All
pleasantly surprised to see some action on Joan's thread. I think of her so often. I drive up and down 81 4 to 5 times a week and get pretty morose when hitting that Salem exit and the overpass where Wildwood is - because there are no answers, and seemingly no one seeking answers.
Anyhow, if you look back at page 5 and 6, many of the questions recently asked are there, with some searching. The husband's vehicle and home were "thoroughly" searched according to LE on 3/31. There was a search involving dogs, but it was well over a week after her disappearance was reported, which was about 5 days after she was last seen or heard from. At the time, we had tons of snow and rain. It was not atypical for her to walk away from the home every Sunday night as that is when she finished her weekend visit with her daughter and went back to her best friend's or boyfriend's house. She did not have a vehicle and I understand that many times the bf would meet her down the street in his car. On this Sunday however, he was supposedly out of town and noone was expecting her. The last I heard, her daughter is still local and living with Joan's sister - not the husbands - though I know he'd love to go back to Iowa (LE strongly discouraged this) I know Omelette Shop, Dixie Caverns, Apple Market, Ironto truck stop, etc were aware at the time because I personally spoke to employees and hung missing posters in these locations.
Anyhow, LE must believe this to be a walk-away or if murder, they have no clues to go on based on email and cell records. I know she did not walk away. I know LE should do more. I know press could have done more (when I contacted them back in late spring to ask for coverage they stated that LE had no new information). I know she met with foul play-IMO. I know there were not enough searches (where to look?) If it was the husband - he had atleast 5 days to cover his tracks. (So many empty remote places and if you know that noone is looking-landfill ugh. sorry. They never would have found that baby boy at the landfill in Roanoke if the "parents" didn't confess to the faked abduction) If it was the friend (who knows) than she would have the same time period. I can only assume that the police are confident of the BF's whereabouts that week and that he was indeed out of town. If by that rare chance it was a random abductor, we will never know.
I do hope the family gets resolution at some time - for her daughter's sake.
Glad to hear LE was searching again for clues......

I might have overlooked it throughout this thread, but who was the one to report Joan missing ?

Japanda...check out this post:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - VA VA - Joan Renee Cook, 45, Roanoke County, 24 Jan 2010

According to this poster the bf is the one who realized Joan was missing...but it doesn't actually state who made the call. I'm guessing Joan's Mom or Sister?

Thank you for pointing this out. I was going to go back through all the thread, but my head is spinning with this case as it is. I have my opinions, as everyone does, and I'm pretty sure foul play involving someone she knew happened. I don't want to point fingers, but I have a gut feeling she is around here.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was going to go back through all the thread, but my head is spinning with this case as it is. I have my opinions, as everyone does, and I'm pretty sure foul play involving someone she knew happened. I don't want to point fingers, but I have a gut feeling she is around here.

I Totally Agree!

Photo64.jpg

Weird. I just told my mom yesterday I had wondered if any leads had been found dealing with this case because I hadn't heard anything about it lately, then today a detective put one of these in my door. I noticed a couple of other houses had them as well. I was in the shower at the time or I would have liked to have talked to the detective. As great as it is that they are finally making people aware of what is going on, why wasn't this done when she first went missing instead of almost 10 months later ?

I've also spoken twice to a couple that lives in that neighborhood (once, months ago when Joan went missing and then again a few weeks ago)...they had not heard anything about her.

Like you, I don't understand why this wasn't done by LE months ago. Memories fade/get distorted after a few months...but hopefully someone will remember something...

I believe there is a new detective assigned....? perhaps explaining the increase in activity

Has anyone heard anything ?

I heard noises outside earlier and noticed that a red truck and a white truck with a wooden fence railing were at the house. The shed in the back was open and emptied out. The white truck keeps leaving and coming back. I am assuming they are moving the items out of the house since according to the bank, the time is up to claim them. I've also heard from many people that the ( ex ? ) husband has disappeared and no one can find him. I don't know if that's true or not, but it seems to be the word on the streets. It would explain why he up and left everything at the house.

Sad, sad... I have followed this case since the beginning in my lurking days...
I wonder about that truck he got rid of... how many vehicles did LE check out of his? Did he get rid of this before LE got a chance to search it? Just seems like another of the oddities in this case to me... :banghead:
Renee where are you?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay