VA VA - Jonathan Dorey, 22, Richmond, 2 March 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bumping for Jonathan.

I agree that it seems very weird that he'd go swimming in March.

Meeting someone? Skinny-dipping play that went bad?

Where is the bike?

Exactly, what happened to the mountain bike? Has it been found yet?

Jon's been on my mind every day for the last week ... Where are you, Jonny Dorey?

During my recent census work I found myself frequently in parts of town that Jonathan Dorey had been in and around the last day he was seen and heard from. Reading over the more recent postings I have these comments:

Regarding the fact that JD was from Guernsey, an island in the English Channel, would it be such a strange thing that he took a swim in the river on March 2? Swimming the English Channel has long been a sport there. Perhaps people from that area are just generally accustomed to colder waters?

It wasn't mentioned if JD's "belongings" that were found were either folded and put down carefully or tossed and strewn about. If he was harmed and the bike stolen, might the criminal have hidden them somewhere not likely to be found quickly, thereby buying himself time to get away with the bike before it--as well as JD--were discovered missing?

If JD decided to secretly take off for somewhere out of town and hid his clothes where they were found, it is possible that he could have taken a change of clothes with him to throw off anyone searching for him.

The fact that an "eyewitness" reported seeing JD swimming in the river that day troubles me. How could you ID someone you'd never seen before accurately at such a distance and when their hair was wet? It makes me think they either saw or know more than just that.

Someone on the board here mentioned his mental and emotional state would be important in the investigation. Even though he appears to be a happy, healthy young man in his photos, there is one though that seems to show a completely different side of him. It can be found by pasting in this link after logging into Facebook. Apart from any other photos it wouldn't seem particularly significant, but it contrasts greatly to all the other photos I've seen of him.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=30463133&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=350577843749&id=1571550156

Altho I can't find the article now--I believe it was in a March Times-Dispatch--it was reported that one of his professors told investigators JD came to speak with him a few weeks before his disappearance, expressing concern about his heavy workload. He said he thought JD was feeling a little frustrated and overwhelmed by the work but appeared calm in his demeanor. If JD felt like he was living up to others' expectations rather than his own for a long while and thought he might be going to disappoint everyone soon in his academics, running away might seem like the better solution to a 22-yo.

(Obviously, that is pure speculation.)

I am still praying for Jonathan and his family.

Attachments

• 15022_1209372165732_1571550156_30463133_4749816_n.jpg
    15022_1209372165732_1571550156_30463133_4749816_n.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 16
Thank you for this very insightful post. You're comment about a young person's mental health status is very true -- many a soul has been surrounded by people who state unequivically that "he/she seemed in great spirits!!" when, in fact, that was not the case at all. Not saying this was the situation with Jonathon, as I don't know anything about how he was feeling, but it's something that merits further investigation. How certain was this eye witness that he/she saw Jonathon?

Thank you for caring.

The only thing reported was: "A witness has since come forward (since March 24, when the items were found) to say that a man fitting Jonny's description was seen swimming in the river on the afternoon of Tuesday 2nd March." No mention was made of the witness' name or any details.

My guess is that because his family left Richmond almost immediately after his belongings were found, the police must have indicated they felt it very likely JD had taken a swim and drowned and that his bike was simply stolen by someone who later found it abandoned.

JD's belongings were found on March 24 "in a hollow area under a concrete pad" on the bank of/near/beside the river," and consisted of his backpack, "outer clothes," shoes, phone, and "personal items." The police were never completely candid but after reading various accounts it appeared they found everything but his underwear. It was later reported he did not have his passport with him. Even if the sighting of him in the river swimming that day is incorrect, finding JD's clothes tends to suggest an impromptu swim and that he did not leave the area without them. But that is not necessarily the only possibility.

The worst case scenarios are these: accidental drowning, suicide, murdered before dressing after swimming (if he in fact did take a swim), or murdered somewhere, his clothes removed and left at that location. Again, the manner in which his clothes were left seem fairly significant. If foul play was involved it's not likely the culprit would have placed them anywhere carefully, even if he hid them to buy himself some time. If the clothes were lying out as if to be put on again or hidden away more or less neatly, then drowning or a planned disappearance seem the remaining alternatives. If he did choose to ride away from his life, the way he left his clothes might further indicate whether he deliberately staged the appearance of his drowning or just left suddenly on a whim after hiding his clothes. Obviously, that would necessitate his having had other clothes available.

The only hope left seems to be that JD planned his disappearance. The safety camera photo of JD leaving Gladding Residence with his bike doesn't give a great view but seems to indicate that not much was in his backpack at the time the photo was taken. It's somewhat difficult for me to believe a full change of clothes could be stored inside but maybe men are different. However, he could have hidden a change of clothes somewhere ahead of time or even had assistance leaving the area. Looking at what he was wearing as he left on his bike seems inadequate for warmth given the wind chill factor for a bike ride across town.

If JD drowned the scenario would seem to be something like this: On a cold day JD attended class in the morning, left his residence on his bike about 11 a.m., stopped by the 7-11 at Harrison & Main, biked to Belle Isle, a place he frequented, where he spoke to someone on his cell phone. At some point after leaving Belle Isle this young man who was raised near the English Channel and likely well aware of the dangers of hypothermia while swimming, stopped at Rockett's Landing at Dock & Water Streets (an unusual place to take a swim as opposed to Belle Isle where he had earlier been), took off his outer clothes in mid-30's temperatures, possibly in light rain or snow, and got into the cold water, whereupon at some point he drowned. Not being JD, someone close to him, or a "Guernseyman," I have no way of discerning if this is a likely scenario.

Footage includes video of the exact spot his clothes were found: http://www.wtvr.com/videobeta/?watchId=f39e1dea-c38b-47af-b078-829d5233a8d2

I find it surprising that JD has already been to New York, New Orleans and Austin, TX. (Mode of travel unknown or with whom.) I don't know exactly how long JD has been at VCU but it's been implied that it's been "a year." (School year or calendar year?) In the two days just prior to his disappearance he and a friend back home had emailed about taking a bike trip to FL together in the near future. Then there is the statement a professor made saying that JD came to him a few weeks before expressing concern about his heavy workload. Spring break was coming up March 14-21. Final exams, May 6-15.

His mother's message to him was this: "Johnny, I'm just sending you a message from my heart, because you know the last thing I said to you was to keep safe. We love you so much, everybody's out looking for you. There's a lot of media interest that we don't want to you to be scared of. You can come home to Guernsey ... and take all the time you want and find out what you really want to do in life. Please come home and get in touch with somebody. We love you so much."

Since JD disappeared, four bodies have shown up in the James River reasonably near to Rockett's Landing, all fairly recent cases of people gone missing. Water temperature is increasingly proportional to the speed with which a body tends to rise to the surface, but after four months now, still nothing.

Nothing I speculate on here is meant to impugn in any way the character of this dear young man. If I were a loved one, anything other than his death would be the best of all possible worlds to me, no matter how much pain his action unwittingly caused.

Jonathan+Dorey+missing+poster.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/guernsey/10567911.stm

Page last updated at 10:40 GMT, Friday, 9 July 2010 11:40 UK

Jonathan Samuel Dorey, 22, was last seen on his Virginia Commonwealth University campus on 2 March.

Since then, a rucksack, personal items and clothing were found next to the James River in Richmond.

Debbie Dorey said: "We're just hopeful they'll find something... we've got this terrible cloud hanging over us."

Bumping again....

Does anyone know if they have found his bike? Now that the weather is warm, well SUPER HOT here in VA, have they done any search dives in the river?

I am devestated for this guys family! Is LE still working on it?! Why is there no resolution?? Or even some news??

I did find a few recent articles;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10567911
Comments from his poor mother.

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/2010/07/09/fbi-dive-team-joins-search-for-exchange-student-jonny/
FBI is involved in his search, and are doing dives in the James River, nothing found yet-story published July 9, 2010.

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=489825
Jonny last saw his family 1 year ago which is when he came to Virginia!

This young man's family lives abroad...they aren't able to be here, fighting for attention with LE. We need to help keep his case alive!

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-missing-vcu-student-jonny-dorey,0,1082424.story

RICHMOND - It's been six months since 22 year-old VCU exchange student Jonny Dorey went missing in Richmond.

And Friday, for the first time, his parents spoke about what might have happened to him.

In a brief news conference outside of Harris Hall on VCU's campus, Alan and Debbie Dorey said their son likely committed suicide.

"Combined with information we got from the Internet sites and writings that we found by the FBI on Jonny's computer - leads us to believe that Jonny died of a suicide or a reckless act as the result of a mental breakdown..." said Debbie Dorey.

Dorey was last seen Tuesday, March 2. He was leaving his student residence hall on the VCU campus with his mountain bike.

Later, on that cold afternoon, a witness spotted him swimming in the James River.

He was never seen since.

An intense search by law enforcement ensued. Flyers were posted, and his friends created a Face book page for Dorey.

Then on March 24, Dorey's backpack containing personal belongings were found near Rocketts Landing, along with his clothes. Today, his parents said there was also an empty bottle of gin found at the site.

oh, how sad....I often wondered if there had been any further info on Jonathan but there never seemed to be any updates....I hope he has some peace now, if he really did decide to put an end to his own life. I wonder what happened to his bike....was it found by the water? I can't recall that it was found but it's been a long time since I read through the particulars on this case.

Thanks Krista for posting the update.

with the internet usage coupled with a witness seeing him in the James River in March, I guess we have a pretty good idea what actually happened.

very sad. I wonder what was so terrible in his life that he made this decision?

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-missing-vcu-student-jonny-dorey,0,1082424.story

RICHMOND - It's been six months since 22 year-old VCU exchange student Jonny Dorey went missing in Richmond.

And Friday, for the first time, his parents spoke about what might have happened to him.

In a brief news conference outside of Harris Hall on VCU's campus, Alan and Debbie Dorey said their son likely committed suicide.

"Combined with information we got from the Internet sites and writings that we found by the FBI on Jonny's computer - leads us to believe that Jonny died of a suicide or a reckless act as the result of a mental breakdown..." said Debbie Dorey.

Dorey was last seen Tuesday, March 2. He was leaving his student residence hall on the VCU campus with his mountain bike.

Later, on that cold afternoon, a witness spotted him swimming in the James River.

He was never seen since.

An intense search by law enforcement ensued. Flyers were posted, and his friends created a Face book page for Dorey.

Then on March 24, Dorey's backpack containing personal belongings were found near Rocketts Landing, along with his clothes. Today, his parents said there was also an empty bottle of gin found at the site.

I think the college years/early 20's can be really hard for some kids. They feel under pressure to achieve, to make something of their lives -- they get overwhelmed, feel they aren't meeting their family's expectations -- their grades drop and they don't ask for help -- they get homesick, or someone breaks up with them, or they can't find someone special to spend time with; they don't have enough money, can't find a job -- they get lonely, things start to deteriorate, the depression insidiously blossoms without others realizing how deep and all consuming it is. Then it can just get to a point where a person feels tired of being tired and sad, sick of feeling hopeless -- I guess it starts to look like a happy future is not in the cards for them, and they don't have it within themselves to seek out help -- they are too lost in the mire of untreated clinical depression. That alone is bad enough, but some also go into a disassociative state and don't know/care what they're doing. I think it's a big problem, widespread amongst this group, and most people, much less colleges, are not equipped to identify and address individuals exhibiting these symptoms. You'd have to be paying attention to it, and then you'd have to be willing to get involved. How many people really do that?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back