VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She went to River Bend HIgh School at some point which is close to where her luggage is found.
My mom lives in Caroline ,as do other family members and the mapped route is not a reasonable travel route from the metro. It really isn't even a reasonable road to think your going to hide evidence on unless you know the area. River road itself is placed in the middle of a very populated area .It opens up each end onto very busy roads. If you live and work in Route 3 river road might seem like a great place to dump something,but as a place to drive to with the purpose of ditching luggage while . I dont see it .There are tons of isolated roads.
I can see someone who has to work or lives in the area thinking it is the most isolated road they know of and are closest too.

There is a quarry , I hope if foul play is suspected it is searched.
http://fambe.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Fredericksburg-Quarry-Edition-003.pdf

I think this was the luggage link, but I can't get a good conection right now. This poster said it was by the high school.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fra...7a7f3dc27f!2m2!1d-77.2864879!2d38.0445557!3e0

Hello, I live in the Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania area, I also know the family, though I know them through mutual friends so as well as I can know them through friends, and I knew her mother when she and her stepfather were newly married. The last time I saw Katelin she was around twelve, but I'm willing to help you Amber in any way that I can, and I can try and help answer some questions on this board about things going on locally.

The Springfield-Franconia station (it's on the Blue Line) will take one directly to the National Airport. It's only about 4 of 5 stops if my memory serves correct, so considering the incredibly unpredictable, heavy DMV (DC-Md-Va) traffic these days, metro'ing in to National makes perfect sense in that it's usually the least stressful, quickest way to get to get there. Springfield and its adjacent "mixing bowl" is especially notorious for traffic hell and gridlock, even during off rush-hour times. Having lived in and around DC/MD/VA off and on throughout my life, I grew up knowing to avoid Springfield at all costs, if possible.

(tl;dr: Metro'ing to National Airport is normally easier than driving, in part due to the airport's small size and the station's close proximity to the departure zone terminals, allowing for quick, easy access.)

Thus, playing devil's advocate here, to me it isn't odd that Katelin's stepdad dropped her off at the Metro instead of taking her all the way to the airport.)

That all said, my personal qualms isn't so much about her supposed route to getting to the airport, but whether her stepdad actually DID take her to the Metro station (Springfield-Franconia) and if she ever actually made it onto the train in the first place!
As we all know, anybody can send a text if they have that persons cell, so her text about arriving should be taken with a grain of salt; it'd be more valuable to know if LE has/will triangulate the cell towers to see pinpoint the general whereabouts the text was sent from (and when). Also, the area her luggage was found in is many miles away from the metro and the airport, but in fact much, much closer to her Spotsylvania home (Fredericksburg). There's also a large reservoir right near where said bags were found, plus a few old quarries and rivers dot the area.....

I just hope she'll be found alive and decided to simply go "off grid" or whatnot, but my gut isn't feeling so positive about this being the outcome. This story is ominous and things are just not adding up.

Sent via Tapatalk

If LE is not 100% sure that Katelin is the one who sent the text about making it to the airport, how can they be sure that it was she who sent whatever texts are making them think she was making "other arrangements?" I wonder what exactly they are talking about, and when that communication took place.

That all said, my personal qualms isn't so much about her supposed route to getting to the airport, but whether her stepdad actually DID take her to the Metro station (Springfield-Franconia) and if she ever actually made it onto the train in the first place!

RSBM

Yes, this is my concern, too. But you would think that there would be plenty of surveillance on and around public transport. I have the feeling that LE knows much more than they are divulging at this point.
The last person seen with a missing person is certainly the first person looked at. And yes, I know they have said he is not a POI, but come on, we know how they play that game to let the person relax a bit.

I'm really hoping she is safe, but I'm very worried.

I wonder how far away it is from where the luggage was found from where HC and her vehicle was found in the 10300 block of Piney Branch Rd?

I wish we knew more about that last text. Did she say she was at the airport? That is hard to believe. And if it was not her that sent the text, then it was someone close to the family that sent that, imo.

I wish we knew more about that last text. Did she say she was at the airport? That is hard to believe. And if it was not her that sent the text, then it was someone close to the family that sent that, imo.

I have a lock on my phone, so without the code you can't use it.

When I look at this map rougt that someone made from the station to where the luggage was found. I seems that you have to drive on Piney Branch Rd. I just wonder if it's the same road where HC was found?
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fra...7a7f3dc27f!2m2!1d-77.2864879!2d38.0445557!3e0

LE has said that the cases are not related.

http://www.people.com/article/spots...n-michelle-akens-missing-heather-ciccone-dead includes:

Captain Jeff Pearce of the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office tells PEOPLE there's no connection between the two cases, emphasizing, "It's just an unfortunate coincidence."

There is an app that does SMS spoofing so texts can appear that they come from one number when they don't. I've never used it but it seems that kids and people do know about it. I guess you wouldn't be able to tell for sure unless you contacted the cell phone service for records to see where it really came from.

Katelin's story hits home with me. First off, my husband's family is in Fredericksburg so I'm a bit familiar with the area. More important is that I know how frantic, crushed, out of her mind worried my daughter would be if her girlfriend disappeared. My daughter happens to live in Arizona, too.

Definitely some similarities! My daughters are around Katelin and Ambers ages, so I'm right there with you on knowing how frantic my girls would be too 😕

When I look at this map rougt that someone made from the station to where the luggage was found. I seems that you have to drive on Piney Branch Rd. I just wonder if it's the same road where HC was found?

This map is only helpful in that it shows how to get to the location from 95.

Her step dad liveS in Partlow( I dont know where exactly) which could mean he might use piney branch road ,but he would not enter 95 AT Ladysmith. Katelins mom live in Rutherglen (i dont know where),which zip code does cover Ladysmith but also covers the area next to Partlow. They could live 2 miles apart for all I know and not in ladysmith but farth north and that would make the 110 exit and the 118 exist an unlikey event if he was to travel Pineybranch to dump the luggage. I dont think Piney branch road is a factor in Katelin's case . River bend high school is not near where the luggage was found ,it is near river road or close to the area ,if that makes since.

Hello, I live in the Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania area, I also know the family, though I know them through mutual friends so as well as I can know them through friends, and I knew her mother when she and her stepfather were newly married. The last time I saw Katelin she was around twelve, but I'm willing to help you Amber in any way that I can, and I can try and help answer some questions on this board about things going on locally.
Welcome, Bergz! How nice of you to offer to help. We can all appreciate the local input.

Thank you. Some things I know, regarding tracing phone records/pings etc. From what I understand she had a prepaid virgin mobile phone, which makes these issues harder. The message her mother did get was very vague about her arriving and then the phone immediately went off. In the area where her belongings were found, I know for a fact that the police did a ground search on foot in the woods around the area a few days ago. Also yesterday a police helicopter searched the river in the area for a few hours. According to the daughter of the helicopter pilot nothing was found. Just interesting that the police have already started using such a large search and rescue/recover resource. Something I heard, but has not been confirmed, is that her body jewelry was found with her belongings. Again that is hearsay and I've not seen that confirmed at all. But if it's true that's not good. Also the police have asked all friends and family not to do a ground search until they tell us to, we had one scheduled but the police called it off and asked us to reschedule for another date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli