VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I. But most of my close family members know my code. And not all phones have a code.

I just thought of something . Someone said she is using a Virgin Mobile phone. So maybe she does not use a code.

It is an option on phones though, so not all people activate it. Some you just swipe screen to unlock as well. Either way, if you abducted someone...I think getting their password would be easy. Most people would give it up if they feared for their safety.

That's true as well. My wife does not use a code on hers.

Hi im katelins fiancé not "roommate" as the news put it and the debit card was in her name on my bank account. I hope that clears that up.

Hi Amber,
I'm just getting home from work and saw your post. I'm so sorry about everything you are going through. Please know that you and Katelin are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm really worried about Kaitlin and hope she is found very soon. The cash in the suitcase confuses me. Hoping she is safe!

Loooooong shot...but could her disappearance be her family sending her off somewhere to be "cured." What I mean by that is...she has been in relationships with men, her family refers to Amber as her roommate when she's much more, Amber's mother is all over fb pleading for her return but I don't see her parents as concerned...perhaps they are trying to get her "help" and don't believe she's gay and this is the only way they could force her into "therapy."

JMO

Katelin is an adult. If there's a facility that would hold an adult against their will, they're violating the law.

Katelin is an adult. If there's a facility that would hold an adult against their will, they're violating the law.

Well...that just killed my theory. She is an adult and holding her against her will is SO illegal... Long day, I guess I didn't think it all through...

Just me chiming in with my own experience. Means only that. I could have a pass code protect on my phone. I have never opted to look for or use it. I want anyone near my phone to have the ability to call 911 if needed. That is just me. There is nothing on my phone that anyone could not see. That is just me.

I'm kind of wondering why she had recently gotten a Virgin Mobile prepaid phone, actually. Did her own recently break? Or was she planning something? I don't know why she'd intentionally run away from what seems like a nice, happy future life, though..

Thank you. Some things I know, regarding tracing phone records/pings etc. From what I understand she had a prepaid virgin mobile phone, which makes these issues harder. The message her mother did get was very vague about her arriving and then the phone immediately went off. In the area where her belongings were found, I know for a fact that the police did a ground search on foot in the woods around the area a few days ago. Also yesterday a police helicopter searched the river in the area for a few hours. According to the daughter of the helicopter pilot nothing was found. Just interesting that the police have already started using such a large search and rescue/recover resource. Something I heard, but has not been confirmed, is that her body jewelry was found with her belongings. Again that is hearsay and I've not seen that confirmed at all. But if it's true that's not good. Also the police have asked all friends and family not to do a ground search until they tell us to, we had one scheduled but the police called it off and asked us to reschedule for another date.

Regarding her body jewelry....assuming she had every intention of going to the airport, would it make sense for her to remove her body jewelry and put it in her suitcase so she doesn't set off the metal detectors when going through security?

Well...that just killed my theory. She is an adult and holding her against her will is SO illegal... Long day, I guess I didn't think it all through...

lol, I know what you mean. Long day here as well!

I asked gaby (katelins sister) if katelins piercings were in the suitcase and she said no.

Regarding her body jewelry....assuming she had every intention of going to the airport, would it make sense for her to remove her body jewelry and put it in her suitcase so she doesn't set off the metal detectors when going through security?

Yes! That was exactly my thought too. Which to me, along with the cash found in her suitcase, nullifies the possibility of her running off as LE mentioned may be the case. I fully believe Katelin was going back home to her fiance and her life in AZ but someone prevented her from doing so. That person, with knowledge of Katelin's original plans, and the forethought to let her mom know she "made it" via Katelin's phone, knows exactly where Katelin is.

Edit: Disregard, as Amber said her body piercing was NOT found in her luggage. However I still believe Katelin is not voluntarily missing and the "person" sending the text msg to mom is 'the key'.

Couple of responses to that:

Firstly, it's not necessary to remove most body jewelry; it shouldn't set off the alarms. https://www.travelite.org/2009/07/heavy-metal-airport-security-and-body-piercing-jewelry/

Secondly, and more importantly, body piercings are notorious for being fickle. Some people can take their jewelry out for months at a time and have no problem putting it back in, but others will find their bodies have sealed the piercings after less than an hour. If the piercings were done within the last few months, they'll certainly tighten and invite infection if they're left open. Someone with multiple piercings like Katelin definitely knows this, and would likely just switch out her metal jewelry with clear plastic 'filler' pieces if she thought the airport security would be an issue. I know I would never risk taking my own body jewelry out to do anything but change it unless the TSA demanded it - and even then only for the 60 seconds of getting through security!

tl;dr I don't think the body jewelry was removed as a precaution against setting off metal detectors unless she's known to switch hers out for plastics/clear glass regularly

ETA: Looks like the discussion is moot anyways, since the jewelry was not in the suitcase! I was really doubting she'd have taken them out of her own will, so I'm glad there's no evidence she removed them. Makes me feel like she's safer.

Also, welcome back, Amber. Thank you for rejoining the thread - we really appreciate your presence here and we hope to help in any way we can.

Yes! That was exactly my thought too. Which to me, along with the cash found in her suitcase, nullifies the possibility of her running off as LE mentioned may be the case. I fully believe Katelin was going back home to her fiance and her life in AZ but someone prevented her from doing so. That person, with knowledge of Katelin's original plans, and the forethought to let her mom know she "made it" via Katelin's phone, knows exactly where Katelin is.

I agree. If she had wanted to run away from her fiance and her life back in AZ, she probably would have had support from her mother/sister/friends back home to help her while she decided what she wanted to do. She would not have needed to dump her suitcase in a ditch and pretend to be missing. She could have just gone to stay with a friend or relative for awhile.

And it does not seem like a random kidnapping at all. if she was at the mall or the metro there would have been video or witnesses of anyone trying to grab her and her suitcase. And a random perp would not have texted her mom.

Just me chiming in with my own experience. Means only that. I could have a pass code protect on my phone. I have never opted to look for or use it. I want anyone near my phone to have the ability to call 911 if needed. That is just me. There is nothing on my phone that anyone could not see. That is just me.

FWIW I have a lock that comes on after 5 minute and then requires a pass code, but even when locked you can still make an emergency call (it's an iPhone). I don't go round telling people what the code is, but I'm so unimaginative it's the same as my mam's burglar alarm code so I just say that to people and they could find it out if necessary. :D

Hoped I would wake up to some more news on Katelin. :(

I used to have a few piercings, and most body jewelry nowadays is made with materials that will not set off metal detectors.

ETA/ I know see this has been covered :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FWIW I have a lock that comes on after 5 minute and then requires a pass code, but even when locked you can still make an emergency call (it's an iPhone). I don't go round telling people what the code is, but I'm so unimaginative it's the same as my mam's burglar alarm code so I just say that to people and they could find it out if necessary. :D

Hoped I would wake up to some more news on Katelin. :(
Yes this! You can do the same with an android. I used to not have a lock code because I was afraid it would prevent me from making a call quickly should I ever be in danger. Then I learned you can add a phone icon to the lock screen that allows you to make emergency calls without having to enter the code first.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Also, even a phone that has no service provider can make 911 calls as well. So I believe if you charge up an old 1990s cell phone, you can still make emergency calls on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisy24