VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just me chiming in with my own experience. Means only that. I could have a pass code protect on my phone. I have never opted to look for or use it. I want anyone near my phone to have the ability to call 911 if needed. That is just me. There is nothing on my phone that anyone could not see. That is just me.

Any locked phone will still make 911 calls. The idea is that if you lose your phone or it gets stolen, some stranger won't have a access to all your pass codes and stuff.

My iphone is like a little computer I have bank account, credit card info, passwords to forums like this one, email acsess, on my phone. Allso you can set your phone so that if someone try's to unlock it to many times, it will delete all info in it.

This reminds me of a time last year when I bought a used iphone on craigslist from a guy who said the phone belonged to his wife and she had upgraded.

As soon as I plugged in and started fiddling with it, I noticed that it logged right in to her email account. I didn't have the hart to dig through her personal info, so I immediately reset the phone back to factory settings.

On another note besides making 911 calls. On my phone even when locked, you can still pick it up and snap pictures, use the flashlight , calculator, and so on.

This map kinda show the virgin mobile coverage area. I put in the zip code for Partlow because it is a central location in the area . I had sprint and virgin mobile before but it was a few yeasr back but I had issues with no signal in places quite often. I wonder if phone was reliable while she was visiting. I also wondered if they ran the flight manifest for the Dec 1st flight into DC to see if she met anyone on the plane on her flight.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage

Both of my girls and my husband have virgin mobile, you can get the same phones as any contract service but the plans are cheaper. .they all have unlimited texting, calling and data for less than 50 a month. Virgin runs off the Sprint network, so service is decent. All of their phones are able to be locked by code, pattern or voice and one even has fingerprint lock.

Well...that just killed my theory. She is an adult and holding her against her will is SO illegal... Long day, I guess I didn't think it all through...

It's not so far-fetched, though, because IIRC, adults *can* be "involuntarily committed" to "mental health" facilities if they're deemed to pose a threat to themselves or others, right?

Interesting the route of travel you posted one post up for the step-father's residence includes traveling on Piney Branch Road. Just noting it, what a coincidence.

I am as far as your post on catching up and wanted to comment on it.

Piney Branch Road - step-father travels on it and Heather was found shot in a driveway on that road. Some people have commented that there are no connections in these two cases. Well, the girls are both in the same age range. Even if LE stated there was no connection at this point between the two cases, I still believe there may be. LE can make an untrue statement while investigating cases just to throw the perpetrator off, IMO.

It is just too much of a coincidence for me.

*Not casting aspersions on the step-father.

MOO

And it does not seem like a random kidnapping at all. if she was at the mall or the metro there would have been video or witnesses of anyone trying to grab her and her suitcase. And a random perp would not have texted her mom.

...a random perp wouldn't even know her plans, either! Sure, she had luggage...but depending on where an abduction takes place, that could be for many intentions. If someone other than Katelin made the text, they knew she was supposed to get on a flight to go back home i.e. traveling away.

"Her phone charger, her wallet, it still had her ID her credit cards, cash, her old glasses and her old plane ticket", said Katelin's sister Gabrielle Akens as she described what was in the luggage. Her family told authorities they dropped her at the Metro stop and expected her to take the Metro to Reagan National Airport to catch a flight.

Pearce said no other items were found with the suitcase.

http://waltonian.com/2015/12/virginia-woman-19-missing-luggage-found-in-ditch/

Akens family said her cell phone goes straight to voice mail when they call it.

http://wric.com/2015/12/10/teen-missing-out-of-spotsylvania-seen-at-mall-on-surveillance-footage/

Thank you!

My thoughts:

Wouldn't she have bought a round trip plane ticket?

If Katelin's luggage was found in Fredricksburg, then Springfield is quite a way from there. My youngest daughter's wedding gown came from Royal Formal & Bridal in the mall and there had just been a huge renovation in Springfield Mall. Someone stated that the mall is now partially closed. Why?

Across from Springfield Mall is (or was) a Hilton Hotel and behind that is the Beltway. To get to Regan National Airport from there, you would have to take the Metro (bus) to the Pentagon huge bus terminal and catch another to Regan. Would Katelin have known to do all of this? There is a lot of travel involved in public transportation to get to Regan from the mall area. Even the closest train would be in Alexandria. Springfield is approximately 9 miles from D.C..

Public transportation in that can be confusing unless you used it regularly, IMO. I lived in that area for a few years after retiring. My daughter still lives there.

I know where everything used to be. Could it have changed so much? I am just not getting the reason for Katelin shopping there because it is not even close to Regan and would be a great hassle for her to get to Regan from where she was supposedly last seen.

MOO

VRE and Metro are two separate entities. VRE is a fast, passenger AMTRAK style train that has several stops, one of which is Union Station in DC where you can transfer over to Metro. Metro is a subway style train (that's always breaking down) and has a sprawling map of stops across the DC metro area, including one in Springfield.

I think my point is, if she were to trade VRE for Metro or vice versa, it'd have to be done at Union Station. Or, she could walk the 3 mile difference in Springfield (crossing interstate 95), or catch a local bus to either or. Last, VRE does not stop at the airport, but Metro does.

When I lived in Springfield, the terms Metro and VRE were used interchangeably. There are numerous bus stops on Franconia right at the mall that will take you to the Pentagon bus terminal. From there, you can get to Regan.

The train goes by Regan, but up on a rail. Why go into Union Station when there is no need to from Springfield to get to Regan?

MOO

I don't think she would if she had a choice do you?

No, because the cash would not have been traceable.

* I just posted a couple of times upthread about Springfield. After reading further, I do not think she was ever in Springfield.

MOO

Both of my girls and my husband have virgin mobile, you can get the same phones as any contract service but the plans are cheaper. .they all have unlimited texting, calling and data for less than 50 a month. Virgin runs off the Sprint network, so service is decent. All of their phones are able to be locked by code, pattern or voice and one even has fingerprint lock.

This hadn't crossed my mind at all, but is a great point! If her phone had finger print recognition anyone could have accessed her phone if she was restrained or incapacitated(sorry to say that as I know her fiancée is reading here, and just wanted to add you are in my prayers as well dear)...I was super busy the last two days so I am sorry if I missed what specific type of phone she had.

No, because the cash would not have been traceable.

* I just posted a couple of times upthread about Springfield. After reading further, I do not think she was ever in Springfield.

MOO

What kind of cash are talking about Folks? A dollar or two, maybe three? Some change?

We don't know!

Thank you!

My thoughts:

Wouldn't she have bought a round trip plane ticket?

If Katelin's luggage was found in Fredricksburg, then Springfield is quite a way from there. My youngest daughter's wedding gown came from Royal Formal & Bridal in the mall and there had just been a huge renovation in Springfield Mall. Someone stated that the mall is now partially closed. Why?

Across from Springfield Mall is (or was) a Hilton Hotel and behind that is the Beltway. To get to Regan National Airport from there, you would have to take the Metro (bus) to the Pentagon huge bus terminal and catch another to Regan. Would Katelin have known to do all of this? There is a lot of travel involved in public transportation to get to Regan from the mall area. Even the closest train would be in Alexandria. Springfield is approximately 9 miles from D.C..

Public transportation in that can be confusing unless you used it regularly, IMO. I lived in that area for a few years after retiring. My daughter still lives there.

I know where everything used to be. Could it have changed so much? I am just not getting the reason for Katelin shopping there because it is not even close to Regan and would be a great hassle for her to get to Regan from where she was supposedly last seen.

MOO

There is a Metro rail stop (the one being referenced "Franconia-Springfield") right next to the Springfield Town Center (formerly Springfield Mall). It's a half mile 10 minute walk. It goes directly to Reagan International Airport.

So pretty simple travel, actually.

I'll reference the map again:

MapWS.jpg

What kind of cash are talking about Folks? A dollar or two, maybe three? Some change?

We don't know!

I don't know. I just read 'cash' on a post. Surely if Katelin was just going to leave on her own, she would take whatever money she had with her.

MOO

There is a Metro rail stop (the one being referenced "Franconia-Springfield") right next to the Springfield Town Center (formerly Springfield Mall). It's a half mile 10 minute walk. It goes directly to Reagan International Airport.

So pretty simple travel, actually.

I'll reference the map again:

View attachment 85669

Thank you! I was just coming back to apologize to everyone about these last posts being irrelevant! As long as I have been on WS you would think I would read to the last post before putting my two cents worth in!

The area has changed since I lived there! Appreciate your map!

MOO

Hello, all, first post on this thread, been lurking since it began.

I noticed some people discussing the phone and it being locked. I just wanted to add that cell phone locks are noctoriously insecure and easy to bypass. The phone being locked or not is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to someone else being able to unlock it. Doesn't matter what type of phone it is, it can easily be unlocked without a password/pattern/fingerprint.

Also, I posted a post on the Washington DC subreddit on Monday or Tuesday to get the contact info out for anyone who may have information.

Amber, I am in awe of how strong you are being. My thoughts are with you and Katelin.

I noticed some people discussing the phone and it being locked. I just wanted to add that cell phone locks are noctoriously insecure and easy to bypass. The phone being locked or not is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to someone else being able to unlock it. Doesn't matter what type of phone it is, it can easily be unlocked without a password/pattern/fingerprint.

Also, I posted a post on the Washington DC subreddit on Monday or Tuesday to get the contact info out for anyone who may have information.

Amber, I am in awe of how strong you are being. My thoughts are with you and Katelin.

Regarding the phone locks...how are they so easy to bypass?

:welcome5:

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the phone lock. Someone with even basic information about her can bypass the system's security questions, and there are apps available that will unlock the phone. Even discounting sneakier ways of getting into the phone, I know my phone would be fairly easy to get into because there's a wear pattern on the screen guard where I've unlocked the phone often. I do think that someone taking much time to get into her cellphone seems a bit unlikely, though. Either she sent the text herself, someone close to her (who knew the code) sent it, or she didn't have a lock on the phone. I just can't see Random Mystery McPerp bothering.

So either she went on her own, or someone staked this out, planned it well (on her way to the airport seems an awfully convenient time for someone to up and decide to hurt her, and they knew where she was headed well enough to send that reassuring text), and disappeared her.

I do wonder about the "old plane ticket" being found. I assume this refers to the ticket she used to fly into town. If that's true then she also had a recent one that she was about to use on the day she vanished. Was that one gone from the suitcase?

Welcome to the group, it's nice to have you here!

:welcome5:

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the phone lock. Someone with even basic information about her can bypass the system's security questions, and there are apps available that will unlock the phone. Even discounting sneakier ways of getting into the phone, I know my phone would be fairly easy to get into because there's a wear pattern on the screen guard where I've unlocked the phone often. I do think that someone taking much time to get into her cellphone seems a bit unlikely, though. Either she sent the text herself, someone close to her (who knew the code) sent it, or she didn't have a lock on the phone. I just can't see Random Mystery McPerp bothering.

So either she went on her own, or someone staked this out, planned it well (on her way to the airport seems an awfully convenient time for someone to up and decide to hurt her, and they knew where she was headed well enough to send that reassuring text), and disappeared her.

I do wonder about the "old plane ticket" being found. I assume this refers to the ticket she used to fly into town. If that's true then she also had a recent one that she was about to use on the day she vanished. Was that one gone from the suitcase?

You don't pick up the new ticket until you check in at the airport. You don't get it ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli