VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa Sullivan, Katelin’s mother, says she dropped her daughter off at her stepdad’s home in Spotsylvania County on Saturday so he could take her to the airport to catch a flight to Arizona. Sullivan said the teen’s stepdad told her that Akens decided she wanted to go to Springfield Town Center first. She then planned to take the Franconia-Springfield metro to Reagan National Airport.

According to Captain Jeff Pearce with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, authorities have been able to corroborate that Akens’ stepfather’s car was in the area of the mall that day, though there is no surveillance video of Katelin or her stepdad at Springfield Town Center. Captain Pearce says cameras were not covering the area of the mall that the stepfather says he left Katelin. He would not elaborate on how investigators confirmed the car was there.

http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/
They probably have some kind of receipt for a purchase near the mall.

They may have stopped at a gas station as well.

The article says his car was in the area of the mall. "Area" is vague in terms of distance. His car might have been picked up on a traffic camera somewhere in the general vicinity, though not actually at the mall. Springfield Town Center is near a busy interchange of I-95/395.

"According to Captain Jeff Pearce with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, authorities have been able to corroborate that Akens’ stepfather’s car was in the area of the mall that day..."

http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

ETA: I just noticed on the map that there is U.S. Customs and Border Patrol office on Loisdale Rd that runs along the west side of the mall. No doubt surveillance cameras cover that building and the surroundings.

Lisa Sullivan, Katelin’s mother, says she dropped her daughter off at her stepdad’s home in Spotsylvania County on Saturday so he could take her to the airport to catch a flight to Arizona. Sullivan said the teen’s stepdad told her that Akens decided she wanted to go to Springfield Town Center first. She then planned to take the Franconia-Springfield metro to Reagan National Airport.

According to Captain Jeff Pearce with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, authorities have been able to corroborate that Akens’ stepfather’s car was in the area of the mall that day, though there is no surveillance video of Katelin or her stepdad at Springfield Town Center. Captain Pearce says cameras were not covering the area of the mall that the stepfather says he left Katelin. He would not elaborate on how investigators confirmed the car was there.

Why doesn't it surprise me that the place he supposedly dropped her off had no cameras? [emoji53]

The article says his car was in the area of the mall. "Area" is vague in terms of distance. His car might have been picked up on a traffic camera somewhere in the general vicinity, though not actually at the mall. Springfield Town Center is near a busy interchange of I-95/395.

"According to Captain Jeff Pearce with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, authorities have been able to corroborate that Akens’ stepfather’s car was in the area of the mall that day..."

Traffic cams don't usually pick up who or how many are in a car either. So it would not prove if Katelin was sitting in the car and/or being dropped off safely, most likely.

One more thing: I noticed that on both of Katelin's Facebook pages, new friends have been added each day since she went missing. Who is accepting these new friend requests?

Ether her girlfriend, or this could be the social media activity that LE spoke of.

Yes, it does sound like a Wesley kind of scenario. Especially if you add in the texts to Mom, saying you made it to the airport. :mad:

I have feeling she sent that text.

Traffic cams don't usually pick up who or how many are in a car either. So it would not prove if Katelin was sitting in the car and/or being dropped off safely, most likely.
Yep, and that's what the article says. They know only that his car was in the area. According to the article, cameras weren't covering the area where he claims to have dropped off Katelin. Do we know that location? In front of Macy's? Penney's?

"Captain Pearce says cameras were not covering the area of the mall that the stepfather says he left Katelin."

Yep, and that's what the article says. They know only that his car was in the area.

It is frustrating . I guess they will at some point release his car picture to see if anyone saw Katelin in there with him or his car during the time unless they know the answers already. Peoples memories fade and get details out of order after to long. I really hope Katelin is okay but I just don't see her stuff ending up in a ditch if she were. Which is sad to consider.

Also really the place her stuff was found makes no sense . The road doesn't have much shoulder and stuff in the ditches along the road is quiet visible compared to lots of other places in the county. Almost like space was needed in a hurry and there wasn't option to be had or they didn't care about it being found.

I have to ask. What time was her flight and how early was she?

Dropping your teen daughter off at the airport is dropping your teen daughter off at the airport.

Not at the mall. You pull up to airport departures. Make sure your daughter has ticket in hand. Give her hugs. And watch her go through the door while tearing and hoping she has a safe flight.

But the supposed dropping off at a shopping center is very odd when mom said that he was taking her to the airport or atleast to the shuttle or tram or whatever.

Btw. You have to arrive earlier at airports these days. So I would love to hear what time was the flight and the time of the supposed Metro and what time did he leave her at the shopping center.

Btw. If your shopping center doesn't have cameras. Then I would not shop there. Jmo. This is 2015 and every legit shopping location should have them. Imo.

Why doesn't it surprise me that the place he supposedly dropped her off had no cameras? [emoji53]

Unless he'd cased the joint beforehand, so to speak, I think that might just be an honest coincidence. He'dve had to drive around the mall in circles at some point prior in order to find an area without camera coverage, and that would've looked suspicious. IMO the fact that he happened to name a spot without coverage is coincidental.

I went to the Find Katelin page but it is a closed group now. Did this just happen today?

Really? Why would she do that . Do you think she really was at the airport? Or did she lie to her mom and say she was?

I think she lied.

One more thing: I noticed that on both of Katelin's Facebook pages, new friends have been added each day since she went missing. Who is accepting these new friend requests?

We have seen this happen in cases before. It could be people accepting friend requests that they had not responded to before she went missing.

I went to the Find Katelin page but it is a closed group now. Did this just happen today?

Maybe it was due to stepdad speculation. Idk. But facebook does get rowdy.

So I'm sure the family only wants serious support and not the social media hoo haa that can happen on certain cases. Jmo. I can't blame them.

I think she lied.

Do you think she tossed her luggage too?

I want to believe she sent the text and dumped her suitcase because then she might be alive and well. But I can't think of a good motive.

If she wanted to run away why not just do so? Why do it in a way that brings such scrutiny from the cops and the press? Why freak out one's family and friends?

Unless he'd cased the joint beforehand, so to speak, I think that might just be an honest coincidence. He'dve had to drive around the mall in circles at some point prior in order to find an area without camera coverage, and that would've looked suspicious. IMO the fact that he happened to name a spot without coverage is coincidental.

Let's not forget. Wesley Hadsell was at the only gas station in Va that didn't have cameras as well during his half an hour talk with his stepdaughter during lunch time. Cough Cough.

Her clothes and card was found throughout roads as well.

Plus his daughter was supposedly sending texts to moms as well.

Plus he wasn't living in the household. Plus she was due back to go back to school within a week or 2. So some thought just maybe. Idk.

But question. Was mom and stepdad living together. Or did mom pick Katelin up from someone's house and then took her back to the house so stepdad could take her to the airport? Just asking.

Dropping your teen daughter off at the airport is dropping your teen daughter off at the airport.

Not at the mall. You pull up to airport departures. Make sure your daughter has ticket in hand. Give her hugs. And watch her go through the door while tearing and hoping she has a safe flight.

But the supposed dropping off at a shopping center is very odd when mom said that he was taking her to the airport or atleast to the shuttle or tram or whatever.

Btw. You have to arrive earlier at airports these days. So I would love to hear what time was the flight and the time of the supposed Metro and what time did he leave her at the shopping center.

Btw. If your shopping center doesn't have cameras. Then I would not shop there. Jmo. This is 2015 and every legit shopping location should have them. Imo.

I can see her being dropped at the mall because there is a Metro station in walking distance and she could take that to the airport. Also I'm sure this shopping center has cameras bc it was just opened this year. It's a really nice mall but it's in a semi crappy area, right off of 95 and the beltway.

I agree it would be interesting to know what time her flight was but as someone mentioned before around bigger cities such as DC with a lot of traffic it's very common to just take the metro/train whatever it may be into the airport rather than have to try and get around all that mess. Every time I go into Manhattan from Jersey I ride the transit and would never do otherwise just bc its so much easier and the traffic isn't worth the hassle. Same if I was going to Newark airport, etc. DC is the same way when it comes to traffic and being easier to just hop on the metro and the Springfield stop is the easiest one if you're coming from the Spotsylvania area. On top of that I've seen and know many people younger than 19 that do that on their own as well so it's not far fetched that he would take her to a train station rather than all the way to the airport IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow