VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Contrary to some reports, Sheriff’s Capt. Jeff Pearce said Thursday that police have yet to find any surveillance footage of Akens at the mall or anywhere else. But he said police have corroborated the stepfather’s story that he dropped her off in Northern Virginia.

Pearce would not say how the story was corroborated, saying that was part of the ongoing investigation.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_d1261048-9f60-11e5-8ac1-9bfcd1eaae4e.html

Perhaps the were able to ping SD's cell phone somehow and it was in the area of the mall.

There are so many things I want to say but don't want to violate TOS! �� unfortunately, the person who was going to join as a VI has been asked by LE not to publicly discuss the investigation...my heart literally hurts for Katelin and her loved ones! ��

Tabirey, Please let them know that they, and Katelin are in my prayers.

Perhaps the were able to ping SD's cell phone somehow and it was in the area of the mall.

Yes, or stepdad had a tracking device on his car without his knowledge. A lot of times, if a car is financed, a tracking device is installed on it in the event the person doesn't make payments. I could have my cases mixed up, but I thought that is how they found Carleesha Freeland Gaither, no?

If that is the case, they know exactly where the car went. I sure hope so. I don't feel that she left on her own accord. I think LE is being too strategic and tight lipped for this to be a runaway case.

Also, when LE said "and this has happened before", I don't believe they are referring to Katelin; I think they are referring to people in general.

I guess I understand why they'd think that - her clothes and phone are gone, and she seems to have priors? - but I just can't wrap my head around her just suddenly deciding not to return to her fiance, not seeing her baby nephew, throwing her luggage (with her wallet!) in a ditch, and running away..
She saw her baby nephew, I understand it to be the reason for her trip. What the heck happened to her though?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maybe a traffic cam caught the car in the area?

Perhaps the EZ pass camera's recorded his plate number as he drove along?

Plus his phone pinged the towers along the way.

This is all ridiculous when the stepdad drove her all the way up to the mall area but couldn't drive a few more miles to the airport??? I still can't get over that, traffic or no traffic!

I don't think it is really so odd...I think one's perspective on this depends on where they live at or how they travel. When I stay with friends/family in Chicago, DC, Atlanta, etc that have mass transit infrastructure- I always get them to drop me off at the closest mass transit stop to their home, so I can easily get on and off at the airport. Less hassle for me and the driver...traffic gets much more dense near most airports in cities and it's hardly worth being dropped off at departure. Same when I fly in...I take mass transit to the nearest stop towards where they live. I don't expect them to take me the extra distance into the city nor do I get the feeling those driving me feel it is really "worth it." JMO

I think her leaving on her on will can be cancelled out except for one stretch of the imagination: a friend/acquaintance picked her up from the Town Center and they dumped luggage later. I think that is highly unlikely because of how far away the luggage was dropped from last known location AND how close it was back towards her home; if you were running away or planning to disappear, you wouldn't backtrack towards home.

That luggage was ditched by someone else. Someone who likely knew the roads of that area and, for loose purposes, had reason to be back in that area (location of their home, work, etc). The chances of a random kidnapping resulting in the ditching of the luggage so close to the victim's home an hour in any direction from her last known location is slim to none.

While the stepfather seems a likely target, it is interesting how LE is quick to say he isn't a suspect or even a POI. Seen that before with another outcome, though. His vehicle being seen at the Town Center is pretty convincing, especially if it shows the opposite car door opened. Even if it doesn't, that would be great stretches on the effort of a suspect/perp to play that scene out hoping cameras didn't catch the whole thing.

I think we get answers soon in the form of video and hard evidence (i.e. if vehicle is crime scene, testimony mistake, messages, phone triangulation) that makes someone crack or leads LE to the right place.

The find website is pretty quiet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

imo there are developments that have not been made public yet

^it is a mistake on multiple points, its not related to this case and they are not looking for the car, they are looking for people who saw the car the night of the murder

Should be a mistake because they found Heather's car... You know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tabirey, Please let them know that they, and Katelin are in my prayers.

They are still monitoring the forum, but I'll definitely pass it along to them. I'm only 3hrs from where she went missing, so my daughters and I plan on cruising up and helping out if they ask for volunteers to search 😊

They are still monitoring the forum, but I'll definitely pass it along to them. I'm only 3hrs from where she went missing, so my daughters and I plan on cruising up and helping out if they ask for volunteers to search ��

I sure hope they allow searchers soon. I wonder if they've thought about search dogs?

I know they say the two girls cases are not related, just seems too weird that Heather had a female stalker and Katelin is female.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I know they say the two girls cases are not related, just seems too weird that Heather had a female stalker and Katelin is female.
They know who Heather's stalker is and it wasn't Katelin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14