VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's usually always the last person to see them.
(Duh....)
There's no proof he dropped her off where he said he did, or the footage would have been shown.
Simple, bring him in, question him until he tells what the f he did with her.

All thoughts to her family and friends.

In Fairfax County, there has been very little mention of this case. The Fairfax County Police have Nothing on their main pages, Twitter or Facebook pages. As Sublime said, there are no missing posters and no flyers in the Northern Virginia area (Fairfax county, Arlington or Alexandria.) the mall and Francinia-Springfield metro are in Fairfax County and the airport is in Arlington County on the Alexandria border. IMO, LE in Northern VA is not actively involved in the investigation.

Beyond this thread, it appears no one (LE, family, friends) are very "active" in attempting to bring Katelin home. That isn't meant to disrespect her family at all, but I just haven't seen any chatter nor attempts for searches/vigils...and nothing from MSM or LE. The efforts common in locating someone just are "missing" in this particular case, sadly.

I think maybe many are dismissing this as a runaway case...when that ditched luggage says otherwise.

Beyond this thread, it appears no one (LE, family, friends) are very "active" in attempting to bring Katelin home. That isn't meant to disrespect her family at all, but I just haven't seen any chatter nor attempts for searches/vigils...and nothing from MSM or LE. The efforts common in locating someone just are "missing" in this particular case, sadly.

I think maybe many are dismissing this as a runaway case...when that ditched luggage says otherwise.

There was an effort to raise awareness over the weekend, but it has been very quiet the last few days. I wonder if LE's silence is because they are on to something.

http://wtvr.com/2015/12/13/kaitlin-akens-missing-family-volunteers-hand-out-flyers/

The "Help Save The Next Girl" group rallied Saturday near Hobby Lobby to raise awareness about Akens' disappearance.

Kenny Jarels with the group said there was a “big turnout." In fact, more than 20 members of Akens' family took part as well as deputies from the sheriff's office.

The participants distributed more than 3,000 flyers.

Does Katelin have an ex in that area? I was considering all the options last night and no one has mentioned past history with her. I understand her situation with Amber, but was there another person involved prior to her?

Amberrios and mom can still post even if they are not verified, but it would be better if they were so some of these questions could be answered and discussed here. Hard to figure out exactly what is going on when LE and the media aren't sharing information. Some information would be better than none to keep her name and her face out there in the public eye.

Slowly, over time, I have been leaning towards a runaway type situation.

Originally, I was all about StepDad and I am still looking at him sideways. But there are things which make it seem like she might have been fed up with everyone and wanted to start fresh. IDK

Does Katelin have an ex in that area? I was considering all the options last night and no one has mentioned past history with her. I understand her situation with Amber, but was there another person involved prior to her?

Amberrios and mom can still post even if they are not verified, but it would be better if they were so some of these questions could be answered and discussed here. Hard to figure out exactly what is going on when LE and the media aren't sharing information. Some information would be better than none to keep her name and her face out there in the public eye.

Good question, and again I don't think we have heard anything about it. I am also curious if she and Amber had access to a computer at their home in AZ. I wonder if Amber had been communicating with anyone online that would give more insight into her plans for the trip. Was she going to see any old school friends? Was she communicating with anyone new that she met via internet?
I'm guessing that she did not have a computer of her own. From what we have heard so far, she had a prepaid phone, did not have her own bank account, and even borrowed the luggage from Amber to take this trip (per Amber's mom in an earlier post upthread.)

I can't help but wonder if Katelin was feeling a bit like she needed to "spread her wings" IYKWIM

moo

That link doesn't mention anything about being dropped off 12-16 hours before.

Her flight was Sunday at 5:40pm and mom dropped her off at step dad's on Saturday late afternoon, evening. Unless I have been reading it wrong all the way. Which is possible.

We can't really talk about it here Tealgrove, but I agree with you. It is a great, big red flag.
Just from personal experience, I can say that it is possible she has a better relationship with her (ex) step-dad, now. In my situation, my SD was very abusive when I was growing up. However, these days, we are very close!

I have no personal knowledge of this specific relationship, but I thought I would share my experience.

That said, I'm definitely suspicious of him, at this point.

I'm also puzzled by the lack of movement we are seeing on the investigation. We truly don't know what's going on behind the scenes, though. Very interesting.

Someone mentioned a few days ago (I think, I have had a really sick kid here the last 5 days) that what if her family disliked her lifestyle choice and did try some kind of "conversion therapy?" In your average serious rehab, you don't have a phone and money to make a quick escape. They really only want you to bring your clothes. Possibility? Just a theory that I have no evidence for.

I just cant believe she would take off with no money ,no I.D and ditching her lugagge on the road. Mostly though I would think a 19 year wanting to start a whole new life even with nothing ,would not want the cops looking for her or anyone hanging posters of her..etc.. I mean sure run off maybe but no one wants to start a new life as a wanted person and while we have seen older people do it but 19 I think the fear of LE would be a motivating factor in at least calling them.

Her flight was Sunday at 5:40pm and mom dropped her off at step dad's on Saturday late afternoon, evening. Unless I have been reading it wrong all the way. Which is possible.

Her flight was scheduled for 5:40 pm on Saturday. She wanted to get a day to rest up before starting school on Monday. http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/kat...-airport-luggage-found-roadside-ditch-n477216

This article says that her mom dropped her off at the step-person's place on Saturday. http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

Nineteen is a very unstable age. Even if someone seems happy and assured and solid on a set path and relationship, they might do a sudden zig zag. Life can be overwhelming and confusing at that age. And they don't always know how to easily, efficiently make changes. So often they do sudden erratic things. They may 'Drop out of school' completely if they have an issue with a teacher and a bad grade or a roommate situation. Suddenly back home, and you think 'Whaaa?' Or they quit a good job because they have tickets to Coachella for the long weekend. That is how many 18 or 19 year olds cope with life changes. They may over react or make brash decisions. Not ALL teens do this. But if there are deep unresolved emotional issues from childhood then these kinds of erratic decisions may occur. And it seems there are some unresolved family issues which were lurking in KA's psyche. Going home and seeing her adorable nephew may have triggered some of these unresolved emotional issues. It may have all become overwhelming. And 19 is a bit young to be engaged and being fully supported by one's equally young fiancé. As much as one loves someone, they can still feel a bit trapped into deciding the outcome of their entire life at such a young tender age. And the unresolved family issues are possibly at the heart of that matter. I can see why one might possibly want to escape all of it and start fresh. :sigh:

^ the teenage ages into the early adult ages are, in general, I think! Very unpredictable, I agree...and with social media there is so much going on behind the scenes many others don't see.

Take for instance the Michigan girl who just went missing I think Monday evening (Cassidy Mullins?). She was 16 and only had her driver's license for a month or so. Her mom herself stated that she didn't have good street smarts and had zero sense of direction...but the next day, she was found in Texas! She left to go visit a friend without word! Talk about unpredictable and surely she surprised her mom.

According to this schedule of a beauty college in Lake Havasu, classes begin every first Monday of the month.

http://www.charlesofitaly.edu/index.php/2014-05-20-21-55-56/schedule.html

I'm not sure that is the college Katelin is going to, but just thought I'd post to say it's not that unusual.

Since Beauty College isn't Harvard or any other real College; I wouldn't hold too much stock in the school really caring unless money was already paid to attend.

Now I'm not saying that barbers or hair dressers or nail schools are not important.

But it just doesn't seem like a profession that some people will give up with feeling too much grief.

Those schools are more for hobbies and not curriculums.

So a future student nor their parent nor the school will not feel too bad if one's mind was changed about attending. Jmo.

Since Beauty College isn't Harvard or any other real College; I wouldn't hold too much stock in the school really caring unless money was already paid to attend.

Now I'm not saying that barbers or hair dressers or nail schools are not important.

But it just doesn't seem like a profession that some people will give up with feeling too much grief.

Those schools are more for hobbies and not curriculums.

So a future student nor their parent nor the school will not feel too bad if one's mind was changed about attending. Jmo.

No offense, Dexter, but I really don't think you understand cosmetology programs.

They have a state-mandated minimum number of hours that translates into 30-40 hours of schooling per week in a 10-12 month program, depending upon the state. Most people don't commit that amount of time to a hobby; a student cannot expect to hold down a job while going to school. Some schools offer two-year programs at 20 hours per week, but the full-time programs are more popular.

Granted, *any* student is capable of not being interested in his or her studies at that age, but cosmetology school isn't like a trip to the makeup counter, either. I considered doing it later in life because I enjoy coloring hair, but I'd have to go through the carpal tunnel-inducing general cosmetology training first before I could even look at further certification as a colorist. :/

Yes, this was the crazy article that confused this case with Heather's. The car they were looking for in this article had to do with Heather's case.

I couldn't remember if we discussed this one or not!

Dexter as far a connection between the two LE keeps insisting there is absolutely no connection between the two! At this point it could just be two random hits? MOO

Was her mom expecting a text? I'm sure Amber was, simply because that's just common, but was her mom? Or was that just something she hypothetically did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee