VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was suppose to pick her up from the Az airport. And why didn't they report her missing?

I'M lost here. She was dropped off on the 5th which was the day of the flight. And she wasn't known to be missing until the 7th.

Oops. Okay. It's been stated that amber was going to pick her up from the vegas airport.

Ok great. Now what happened when Amber noticed that she wasn't on the plane that night.

It would have been 1am in Vegas by the time her flight landed. That would have caused pandemonium. Jmo

Flight time from DC to Vegas is about 5 hours...her flight would have landed in Vegas around 7:30pm local time (10:30pm EST). That may be a moot point, but wanted to clarify.

Also, the text from Katelin was sent around the time her flight was supposed to leave. Another was sent around the same time to someone else. That is when cause for concern began, IMO. However I don't think an official missing report went out until later the next day.

That might be why the "official" report is the 7th. I am only guessing. Perhaps it was the 6th that amber realizes she's not on the plane, begins freaking out and trying to locate her. But because of the laws it's 24 hours that they have to be missing? Just guessing here of course I could be way wrong :)!

You don't have to wait at all, that's not the law. You can report right away.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was said that her Mom had to work that day. And plenty of kids move far away for school---kind of a rebellious age, 19.

Move far away with not even a banking account? The debit card she uses is a second card on Amber's account, according to Amber. I wonder when she was actually starting beauty school. December seems an unusual time to start.

Move far away with not even a banking account? The debit card she uses is a second card on Amber's account, according to Amber. I wonder when she was actually starting beauty school. December seems an unusual time to start.

Yes, that seemed odd. She probably should have had her own account and not been dependent on her girlfriend's bank account. I am not sure what that's about. But they have known each other since elementary.

She was supposed to start last Monday according to her Mom in MSM.

Akens has lived in Arizona for more than a year, and her mom said she seemed excited to head west again to start a new chapter.

"She wanted to go back because she was excited about school,” said Sullivan. “She was supposed to start cosmetology today."

Bsublime, :gthanks: for taking the time to upload the images to Katelin's thread. It is SO helpful to have the local perspective brought front and center!

:yourock:

:gathering: with you all in hopes there's a presser, or the update we are all waiting to hear! :please:

#FindKatelin
:candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flight time from DC to Vegas is about 5 hours...her flight would have landed in Vegas around 7:30pm local time (10:30pm EST). That may be a moot point, but wanted to clarify.

Also, the text from Katelin was sent around the time her flight was supposed to leave. Another was sent around the same time to someone else. That is when cause for concern began, IMO. However I don't think an official missing report went out until later the next day.

There you go. I don't know why I stated it as vegas was 3hrs ahead. Lol.

Thanks. You made my numbers seem different. Lol. You turned my 1am landing to a 7pm landing. Lol.

How did I miss that. Lol. Thanks again.

You have to get back on the ball Dexter.

The step-father had a obligation to take Katelin safely to the airport. No matter how you look it, he did not do that.

If there was a change of plan, he should have notified her mother as soon as possible, not just dropped her off at the mall where she would have to tote her luggage to the metro station. No doubt, if he had called her mother about this, she would have called Katelin to find out what was going on. It doesn't appear as if any exchange of texts or phone calls took place, apart from the (fake) text/s from the airport supposedly from Katelin saying she had made it there.

The lack of communication around the drop off/change of plan, at the time it happened, is really odd. Personally, I don't think she ever made it to the mall.

I am so happy to be at the end (page 39) of this thread. I just joined the Facebook group, and I hope to see this case resolved soon. There are only two possible situations, IMO: 1) Something terrible happened to Katelin somewhere between her SD's house and when the text message was/were sent or 2) Katelin was having anxiety or serious doubts about embarking on her adult life, school, and fiancé and decided to "run away".

Either way, I do hope she returns safely to either her family in Va or Az soon.

Two white kitchen trash cans were on River road the other day when I drove down it ,they are on the video (you cant tell what they are ) at 1:20ish .@ 2:28 ish in the video you can see I am passing 6007 ,this is on the Fredericksburg side as I entered the road from that side. These were there before LE got there Tuesday . They were stacked laying on their side and did not look broken . Nothing else looked out of the ordinary ,and really they didn't either. I mean trash cans blow out of trucks all the time.

I wasn't even going to mention it until someone mentioned the luggage maybe being spotted on Sunday.

Here is the link to the video..
https://www.facebook.com/dawn.hennis/videos/997468940325982/?notif_t=video_processed

She started beauty school that Monday.

Since this is the only place I read or get information, the following comment/statement was seen on WS. It may have been a misquote from a media site.

At the time I read it, it jumped off the page as being unusual to me, but I looked at it as a negative comment. The comment made by Katelin's mother was that Amber was her only means of financial support. What, an 18 now 19 year old living in Arizona and her partner is her only support? No help from home? No job, however, I did read she had had a job as a clerk somewhere. Now I see where she was to start beauty school the Monday after her return.

Could it be possible that Katelin was not really interested in going to beauty school? She was signed up for it to get certain people off her back?

With LE so very quite on this case, I get the feeling there is a bit of backstory that is not being told to the public. Is this a private family matter where parents and daughter are at opposite ends on Katelin's life style?

I moved from Springfield (near the mall) to Fredericksburg just over 15 years ago. While I'm familiar with the mall and River Road, I've never been on that particular stretch of it. Fall Hill Road, when taken from Rt. 1 leads to a huge mall called Central Park.

River Road essentially takes you parallel to Fall Hill Road, but only takes you into the newer development near the river and to the Bragg Hill area. Whoever ditched the luggage there had to know the road as it isn't a main road at all. The Bragg Hill area is not a very good one at all. A friend lived there and moved due to the high crime.

We live in a media blank area here. There is ONE newspaper, and its web site isn't the greatest. It covers a wide-ranging area and there is usually more family-oriented articles than hard news.

The same holds true for MSM. We get our news from the stations 50 or so miles north in DC. They cover the news from DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Needless to say, this area doesn't get as much attention as close-in areas.

While I may not have helped sleuthing so far, I hope this gives you a bit of an idea as to the nature of the area. Check out our local newspaper's site at http://www.fredericksburg.com/

Yes, that seemed odd. She probably should have had her own account and not been dependent on her girlfriend's bank account. I am not sure what that's about. But they have known each other since elementary.

I don't see anything unusual about an engaged couple sharing a bank account. When my husband and I got engaged/moved in together he closed his account and I added him to mine. That became our joint account. It was just the practical thing to do, with my bank being more convenient, offering better services and lower fees, etc.

Another thought: Since she was going to start school on that Monday, she must have already paid the tuition. Maybe she drained her own bank account paying the tuition, so the only cash she had available to her was in the account she shared with Amber. We just don't know.

Since this is the only place I read or get information, the following comment/statement was seen on WS. It may have been a misquote from a media site.

At the time I read it, it jumped off the page as being unusual to me, but I looked at it as a negative comment. The comment made by Katelin's mother was that Amber was her only means of financial support. What, an 18 now 19 year old living in Arizona and her partner is her only support? No help from home? No job, however, I did read she had had a job as a clerk somewhere. Now I see where she was to start beauty school the Monday after her return.

Could it be possible that Katelin was not really interested in going to beauty school? She was signed up for it to get certain people off her back?

With LE so very quite on this case, I get the feeling there is a bit of backstory that is not being told to the public. Is this a private family matter where parents and daughter are at opposite ends on Katelin's life style?

The comment you remember most likely came from this article: http://wtvr.com/2015/12/07/luggage-...ld-be-key-clue-in-19-year-olds-disappearance/ "Even more baffling, according to Akens' family, was that her roommate’s credit card was still inside the luggage, and that card was her only means of financial support." IMO it is just another example of bad reporting. What the author was trying to communicate was that the debit card was Katelin's only access to cash to pay for things while she was in VA. Using the term "financial support" was a bad choice of words and very misleading, since it infers that Katelin did not earn any income. Notice that the author also called it a credit card, when it was actually a debit card.

According to this schedule of a beauty college in Lake Havasu, classes begin every first Monday of the month.

http://www.charlesofitaly.edu/index.php/2014-05-20-21-55-56/schedule.html

I'm not sure that is the college Katelin is going to, but just thought I'd post to say it's not that unusual.

Depending on region, many colleges operate this kind of rolling start date for popular programs that have no issue filling spots every month. In my area it is especially common in beauty programs.

That link doesn't mention anything about being dropped off 12-16 hours before.

I was just about to say the same thing. If her flight was at 5:30 pm, that would mean her mother dropped her off sometime between 1:30 am and 5:30 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody