VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I made that post about somebody moving the suitcase, I wasn't aware of the fact that there was money in it. I can see them leaving the wallet, id, etc., but not money.

It wasn't much.

It wasn't much. I think it was about 10 bucks? But for a homeless/transient, that is quite a nice find.

The longer we hear nothing, the less likely it seems this is voluntary. Although long periods of quiet don't surprise me in a case like this. Say they get pings from SD and want to check out every location the vehicle was stopped at any length of time. That's a lot of jurisdictions between SD home and Springfield. Spotsylvania County, City of Fredericksburg, Stafford County, Prince William County, Fairfax County and WMATA (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority) for Metro. Add Arlington County, City of Alexandria and the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority if you want to include the airport in the investigation. That's a lot of coordination to establish a valid timeline and a lot of circumstantial evidence to gather and sift through.

While I've never seen homeless in that particular area (the luggage dump site) this area is well known for homeless sex offenders living in wooded areas.
You might need to add Caroline County as Ruthers Glen is in that County.

I'm new here and had a question for the seasoned "sleuthers", if you would:

Have you seen other situations like this where LE discourages a neighborhood search (where suitcase was found, in this case) so as not to disturb potential "crime scene", yet it doesn't appear LE returned to the same area to re-search it themselves? Media silence, and then the comments on "corroborating" that a vehicle was in the area (mall) but nothing further?

Being at the 2 week mark, the family is still frantic for information but no new reports. I agree w/ other comments that LE must know a lot more than they are telling, but at what point do they tell the family what they know? And the lack of media updates in a potential abduction case, does this typically mean they know where the person is? There must be a reason they're not asking the community to search, or running updates on local news - all without a POI, so in your experience, what does this mean?

I know from being on here plus watching a disappearance unfold locally in real life that the police did not always let the public know what is really going on. They may let some information out, almost to lead the public or a suspect in one direction, while they are very busy in another direction.

LE tends to play things close to the vest as they have to. Their goals are pretty simple- 1) Bring the missing person home and 2) If a crime has been committed, gather and preserve evidence in order to get justice and a conviction.

I think what is so disconcerting here is there is literally NO information being given to the public. No timeline, no description of what Katelin was wearing, no accurate description of what was found with her suitcase, no press releases, no assurances to the public that this is being handled, no discussion about Katelin's state of mind during her visit to VA, no pleas for family asking for their loved one's safe return.

I am not sure I have ever seen a missing person's case with so little information over two weeks in!

It wasn't much. I think it was about 10 bucks? But for a homeless/transient, that is quite a nice find.

I guess a homeless/transient didn't rifle through the suitcase then.

I know from being on here plus watching a disappearance unfold locally in real life that the police did not always let the public know what is really going on. They may let some information out, almost to lead the public or a suspect in one direction, while they are very busy in another direction.

LE tends to play things close to the vest as they have to. Their goals are pretty simple- 1) Bring the missing person home and 2) If a crime has been committed, gather and preserve evidence in order to get justice and a conviction.

I think what is so disconcerting here is there is literally NO information being given to the public. No timeline, no description of what Katelin was wearing, no accurate description of what was found with her suitcase, no press releases, no assurances to the public that this is being handled, no discussion about Katelin's state of mind during her visit to VA, no pleas for family asking for their loved one's safe return.

I am not sure I have ever seen a missing person's case with so little information over two weeks in!

Very well said. Exactly my point yesterday. I understand LE will not necessarily give much information but just as you said the TOTAL silence all around pretty much from the jump is baffling to me...

Does anyone think the texts could've been sent to alert her mother and fiancé that she felt threatened? But the content of the text had to appear innocent so as not to alert the person she felt threatened by?

Does anyone think the texts could've been sent to alert her mother and fiancé that she felt threatened? But the content of the text had to appear innocent so as not to alert the person she felt threatened by?
I had mentioned something similar to this earlier. I thought it could have been a possibility the texts were a cryptic cry for help.

It wasn't much.

For a young woman just starting out on her own, it was something. It's probably all the cash she had and would have been lunch/dinner at the airport. This case makes me so sad.

I wonder if the Springfield city buses have cameras.... I'm assuming they do, it is 2015 but you never know. They could've taken her all over the metropolitan area.

Hi - new posting here - been a LONG time (had to take a loooooooooooooong break!) but have been following..

As a gay woman, I am compelled to relate and feel protective of Katelin *and her fiance* but am wondering if it's been discussed if Katelin has any history of mental illness or addiction??

I'm not alluding that she does but am curious as I know when I was 19, I packed a U-haul and headed to Florida w/ my girlfriend at the time. It didn't last but my point is that I can't imagine Katelin just NOT going home to her other half.

I'm not sure if this is voluntary or not at this point but IF it is voluntary, I would suspect there is a history there of something "off."

I haven't sleuthed anyone yet so of course I'm super curious as to the dynamics surrounding her. I KNOW almost for a fact that no 19 year old girl is going to leave her belongings behind, even if she's "running away." (which is why I say, if someone were to, there is a history behind it)

So with my rambling, I'm still on the fence here but am not having a real good feeling. No girl wants to be w/out her clothes, makeup, jewelry, credit card, cash, & phone..

Sure hope she turns up. Alive and well.

I wonder if law-enforcement called off the family's search where the luggage was dumped because they didn't want to give away the location?

:greetings: LivingJuicy!

I also don't have good feelings about this. :(

If nothing else, as an adult reaching out to a young person who must be in emotional pain. Maybe to tell her Katelin's emotional status or offer some words of encouragement. JMO

Men do not think like that. That is a woman's habit.

For a young woman just starting out on her own, it was something. It's probably all the cash she had and would have been lunch/dinner at the airport. This case makes me so sad.

Stop.... LaborDayRN, now your making me sad..

If someone is your ex you got away from them for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat