VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ch-Yields-Nothing-New-361708171.html#comments

"Family and volunteers spent Saturday searing the Fredericksburg area, where Katelin Michelle Akens' luggage was found in a ditch."....

"Akens' luggage was found in a drainage ditch on River Road, near the Fredericksburg city limit, police said. Money, her cellphone and some clothes were missing."

I'm wondering how they would know that cash was missing? Who knew how much cash she had on her to accurately say that some was missing? It doesn't say how much was missing, if it was a small amount, maybe she spent some on lunch or at a gas station on her way to the airport?

Exactly! This is pretty evident from the FB exchange the other day, as well...

I also find it odd that only Amber and her mom seem to be willing to go on SM to clear up inconsistencies, provide info, answer questions - anything, to help the investigation. I haven't heard much from Katelin's immediate family. Although I have no right to judge how a family responds to something of this nature, I do hope that KA's family speaks out soon to help provide additional details that might help bring their loved one home.

It would be nice to know if she met with any friends while on her visit home, what her mood was, how she felt about returning to AZ, if she was excited or scared to start school, why the family friend couldn't drive her to the airport, if it was normal to shop at Springfield Mall or if her computer history shows her looking up the stores there or researching how to catch the metro from the mall itself. Was it commonplace to take the metro to the airport? Was she a seasoned traveler; would she know how to navigate metro and airport check-in by herself? Did she do online check-in from home, showing she had every intention of catching the plane? Had anyone heard from her at all once she was dropped off at the SD's house? (If she was a frequent texter, she probably was contacting someone in between the time her mom dropped her off there and the time she made it to the mall?). Just any of these questions would help provide a little more info… jmo

My understanding is that Katelin was not a seasoned traveler. The trip from AZ to VA the week before was the first time she had traveled alone. Her mother often relies on her ex-husband to help her out with things, so it was not unusual for her to ask him to drive Katelin to the airport. He was supposed to drive her all they way to the airport, but instead dropped her off at the mall or metro.

Edit to add: Sorry about that Besse. :)

One thing that hasn't been discussed is how KA got to her mom's house when she traveled from AZ to VA.
I have to wonder if the same arrangement wasn't made but in reverse of leaving? Has anyone found anything that states
how she got to her mom's? Did mom pick her up at the airport? OR,??????

Good questions, Mistree. I haven't seen them addressed at all.

One thing I have not heard mention of is regarding Katelin's fiance meeting her at the airport on the other end - as in, she was there but no Katelin... how long did she wait and was she frantically texting K, and then K's mom once she got no response?

One thing I have not heard mention of is regarding Katelin's fiance meeting her at the airport on the other end - as in, she was there but no Katelin... how long did she wait and was she frantically texting K, and then K's mom once she got no response?
I brought up that question myself last night. What was the sequence of events that occurred after the flight landed? And beforehand, that day, when did those closest to Katelin last communicate with her? What plans did she convey? Any hint that she might want to shop? Any apprehension? But realize the family has in all likelihood been advised by LE to limit what information they release, and for good reasons. The story will evolve in time -- hopefully sooner rather than later, and with the safe return of Katelin.

But consider this direct quote from her sister:

" On Monday, Akens’ luggage was discovered abandoned in a drainage ditch on River Road in Spotsylvania County near the Fredericksburg city limit.

“Her phone charger, her wallet, it still had her ID, her credit cards, cash, her old glasses and her old plane ticket,” said Katelin’s sister, Gabrielle Akens.

Akens’ family tells 8News that her cell phone goes straight to voice mail when they call it."

http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

Another article says that she has only one bank card from which she can access cash, and it was inside the suitcase with her wallet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/teens-luggage-found-ditched-after-she-vanished-on-way-to-airport/

As Amber pointed out in this thread: the card was tied to her bank. She just had a card issued in KA's name. As far as id's, we don't know how many she has. She could have one from AZ as well as from VA too. Also, most gas stations sell phone chargers. I have 3 or 4 myself. And where are her cloths?

Also, her phone is a "burner", you buy them at the drug store for 20 bucks. There by the cash register with the cigarette lighters.

My understanding is that Katelin was not a seasoned traveler. The trip from AZ to VA the week before was the first time she had traveled alone. Her mother often relies on her ex-husband to help her out with things, so it was not unusual for her to ask him to drive Katelin to the airport. He was supposed to drive her all they way to the airport, but instead dropped her off at the mall or metro.

Edit to add: Sorry about that Besse. :)

How do we know that Katelin's mom often relied in SDad? Not trying to be picky but I think this is important in looking at the dynamics and possibly how Kaitlin perceived this arrangement. Was she satisfied in the ride plan, was she anxious and couldn't wait to get out of the car? Did she feel threatened? Maybe none of the above?

I am so sad for Katelin and her loved ones. Hoping beyond hope she is OK.

You mean using her ticket? Seems like that'd be nearly impossible given the level of security at U.S. airports.

While it's possible maybe someone was on "standby" for the flight, I would be surprised if that person would have anything to do with Katelin's disappearance (though anything is, of course, possible).

I mean actually using her ticket. That would be an easy trace I suppose....and based on the humongous amounts of errors made at the airports nothing would surprise me if someone got on with it.

I do not believe Kaitlin made it to the airport so I guess we will find out if the cell phone records are released. So many pieces missing to this situation. Jmo. Praying for Katelin.

Hi, haven't posted on this thread yet but hoping for Katelin's safe return.
I have skim-read all 28 pages but I feel like I've missed something here - her family are (still?) calling her phone but it goes to voicemail?
It's a burner phone....but can still be pinged, surely?
Apologies if this has already been answered, it seems too simple so I am sure it is!
Thanks

I'm wondering how they would know that cash was missing? Who knew how much cash she had on her to accurately say that some was missing? It doesn't say how much was missing, if it was a small amount, maybe she spent some on lunch or at a gas station on her way to the airport?

I think that when a 19 yr old is flying back to school, many parents slip them some traveling money as they leave. I tried to do so with my kids. I wanted to be sure they had a little emergency money and a little spending cash on their return trip. I think her Mom may have done the same.

I think that when a 19 yr old is flying back to school, many parents slip them some traveling money as they leave. I tried to do so with my kids. I wanted to be sure they had a little emergency money and a little spending cash on their return trip. I think her Mom may have done the same.

I do the same thing with my now adult children, and I go out of my way to meet them and drop them off at the airport when they come to visit. Sorry, I don't think Katelin is lucky enough to have that kind of "mom".

Hi, haven't posted on this thread yet but hoping for Katelin's safe return.
I have skim-read all 28 pages but I feel like I've missed something here - her family are (still?) calling her phone but it goes to voicemail?
It's a burner phone....but can still be pinged, surely?
Apologies if this has already been answered, it seems too simple so I am sure it is!
Thanks

The phone has gone directly into voicemail since sometime that Saturday evening. It is a burner phone and it usually takes a while for LE to get that info from the phone company on burner phones. I know they can get call history, not sure if her phone has any kind of GPS type tracking.

Good questions, Mistree. I haven't seen them addressed at all.

Hi everyone! I've been following all of this here on Websleuths, but I didn't make an account and have access to post in here until just very recently. I'm impressed that so many of you have been able to hit on some very key points with such little background information! I was surprised! It seems like so many of you are either just verrrry good at analyzing these sorts of situations, or you have some seriously strong intuitive abilities. Or maybe a bit of both. =)

Anyway, I'm Amber Rios's mother. It's very nice to meet you.

<modsnip>

Hi everyone! I've been following all of this here on Websleuths, but I didn't make an account and have access to post in here until just very recently. I'm impressed that so many of you have been able to hit on some very key points with such little background information! I was surprised! It seems like so many of you are either just verrrry good at analyzing these sorts of situations, or you have some seriously strong intuitive abilities. Or maybe a bit of both. =)

<modsnip>

Thank you so much and welcome to Websleuths! It's very nice meeting you also.

nic<3, I'm unable to quote your post :blushing:
Thank you SO much for joining us.
Our hearts go out to you and your daughter.
:welcome4:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<modsnip>

Thanks you for joining us nic<3! I wish it was under different circumstances. I can't imagine how terrible this must be for you, Amber and all Katelin's loved ones. Please take a moment to become a verified insider on this case as it will help you to be able to share pertinent information on Katelin's disappearance.

Welcome to WS, Amber's mom. All of us have heavy hearts wishing Katelin will be found safe very soon!

It's unusually warm down here right now in the 70's from SC all the way up to Washington, DC, so she should be warm should she not have shelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*