VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we know for certain that she didn't have a bank account or a wad of cash in her pocket. Amber and Katelin's family might not be aware of an account, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Most jobs pay via direct deposit (I don't know about Katelin's) and it's much easier to cash a check (if she receives paper checks) if you have an account at the bank. I realize you can cash payroll checks about anywhere, but not everyone likes walking around with their entire paycheck in their purse and most bills would have to be paid via card or check. Was Amber paying all of the bills? If Katelin's family was helping financially, how were they getting money to her? And honestly, if you're going to up and decide to disappear voluntarily, I doubt that $10 in the grand scheme of things is that big of a deal. She could have easily forgotten about it. Maybe she's got a job lined up at her destination.

I'm still hopping between each side of the fence on this one. I think my heart just wants to hope she's alive and it's causing me to come up with every possible reason evidence points to a voluntary disappearance. Because all of the evidence we're aware of also points to something sinister happening.

Sorry as a fellow Hoosier I'd thought you'd realize that fence hopping is dangerous. 10$ is a big deal unless you're independently wealthy, I don't see that happening in her case.

I am pretty sure we were talking about an official luggage tag that the airline attaches to your bag when it is checked. A luggage tag that you make yourself to identify your luggage or put in one of those plastic holders, would not count as any kind of official identification.

Personally, I use my business card, attached in a holder on the outside and few tucked inside the suitcase. However, I'm not sure that a young adult would think to put some kind of tag on their suitcase if they were planning to carry it on. It seems like one of those things I would have to remind my children to do at that age. :)

Why are we discussing this anyway? I doubt that LE meant a luggage tag when they said that her wallet with her ID was in the suitcase.

I agree. Also I thought it was mentioned earlier that her luggage was a carry on bag. Not to mention we don't know how many id's she may have had anyway.

Sure has been quiet in here today. My thoughts are on these 2 families very often and I hope they are faring as well as can be expected. Would love to know how Kaitlin's mom is doing.

If it is true that she did not have a bank account, a driver's license or a job, then I don't see her planning this big 'staged' event on her own. She seems to be a dependent type, and would probably have had a lot of help in running away, if that's what she did. JMO

Not everything that happeneds is aways "planned". She may have found herself cought up in something that was "unexspecting" in some way.

Just chiming in to say that this case is pretty frustrating with nothing from the police and now the media are dropping off the radar! I hope KA is some place warm and taking time to work through some problems because the only other scenario that fits the ditched bag, lack of pings/contact, police silence etc is not a happy one.

And Katelin, if you happen to stumble across this page and you are OK can you please, please just let someone know.

Each day I get on the computer hoping that Katelin has been located and is safe. However, there is no word from LE, the media and really no searches being conducted. That is so very sad. I do not believe that Katelin just walked away on her own accord. In fact, I believe that Katelin never made to the mall or the airport. If Katelin had decided to stay in Virginia, someone would have known before she headed to the airport. Either her sister or her fiance would have had a hint that she was not go back to Arizona! Since Katelin came to Virginia to visit her sister and her new baby, why would she just vanish into thin air? It makes no sense!
Something happened to Katelin after her Mom dropped her off at the SD's house. That is how the suitcase was found in the 6600 block of River Road in Spotslyvania, VA. He freaked and backtracked to the airport for an alibi. I do not believe for one second that Katelin would dump her personal things on the side of the road, for any reason.
I pray for Katelin and I hope I am wrong about my feelings but the longer she is missing, it is not looking good. I pray she is not being forgotten by LE, the media or anyone who saw her the day she was to go home to Arizona.

Where are you Katelin?

I have tried to think of every scenario possible that would involve something happening to Katelin after she was dropped off and in order for most of those to be feasible, no cameras or witnesses could be present . I think that rules out the airport (I would hope). I am not sure how many cameras are in the mall parking lot or inside the mall but find it hard to believe that not one camera would be in her path. That leaves slipping directly into someone's car and that someone would also have to be on the side of the mall that had no camera.

I see several posts mentioning there wasn't a camera at the drop off point and I was curious to know if that's a fact because some articles only confirm SD was in the area What are the chances of knowing which area did not have a camera when providing an alibi? Perhaps I'm not envisioning the mall or the drop off areas correctly - I'm picturing the standard large parking lot with various stores and each has its own entry along with a common mall entry . In this day and age, I would think security would be such that a mall has cameras on all entry points . And for all we know there was a camera and that's being withheld at this point.

ETA: a link mentioning which camera footage is being reviewed along with a map of the area which may have been posted earlier .

http://patch.com/virginia/kingstowne/no-sign-katelin-akens-19-surveillance-video-police

Maybe Katelin decided to switch her lifestyle and didn't want a backlash from either side. Idk.

What do you mean by "switch her lifestyle?"

Maybe she met a guy and didn't want to come out of the closet to family or friends. Idk. Just throwing things at the wall. It's better than thinking she is dead somewhere. Jmo.

I have tried to think of every scenario possible that would involve something happening to Katelin after she was dropped off and in order for most of those to be feasible, no cameras or witnesses could be present . I think that rules out the airport (I would hope). I am not sure how many cameras are in the mall parking lot or inside the mall but find it hard to believe that not one camera would be in her path. That leaves slipping directly into someone's car and that someone would also have to be on the side of the mall that had no camera.

I see several posts mentioning there wasn't a camera at the drop off point and I was curious to know if that's a fact because some articles only confirm SD was in the area What are the chances of knowing which area did not have a camera when providing an alibi? Perhaps I'm not envisioning the mall or the drop off areas correctly - I'm picturing the standard large parking lot with various stores and each has its own entry along with a common mall entry . In this day and age, I would think security would be such that a mall has cameras on all entry points . And for all we know there was a camera and that's being withheld at this point.

ETA: a link mentioning which camera footage is being reviewed along with a map of the area which may have been posted earlier .

http://patch.com/virginia/kingstowne/no-sign-katelin-akens-19-surveillance-video-police
"Captain Pearce says cameras were not covering the area of the mall that the stepfather says he left Katelin. He would not elaborate on how investigators confirmed the car was there."

http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

I wonder if the area where Katelin's bag was found was marked with road work signs or anything that would indicate that work was ongoing by the drainage ditch. Oftentimes such signs remain overnight and over the weekends if work is to resume. If there were signs, that might be why Katelin decided to leave her bag in that location, because she was certain her bag would be found by workers, which it was. The reason she might have left her ID in the bag might be so that the bag would be identified as hers and in her thinking, would therefore indicate to family that she WAS okay.

still no new MSM updates, it's been 2 weeks now .... :gaah:

I wonder if the area where Katelin's bag was found was marked with road work signs or anything that would indicate that work was ongoing by the drainage ditch. Oftentimes such signs remain overnight and over the weekends if work is to resume. If there were signs, that might be why Katelin decided to leave her bag in that location, because she was certain her bag would be found by workers, which it was. The reason she might have left her ID in the bag might be so that the bag would be identified as hers and in her thinking, would therefore indicate to family that she WAS okay.

Here is the video of the road as it was on Tuesday ,Dec 8th. One day after Katelin's stuff was found.
https://www.facebook.com/dawn.hennis/videos/997468940325982/?pnref=story

If it were me, I'd call reporters and ask that they give me just a few minutes of their time. My message would be a direct one to Katelin telling her to please get in touch with someone - anyone - and let them know she is okay. If she rather live a life on her own, I'd tell her it was her right to do so, but just somehow let those who love her know. I would also point out that no one would be angry with her, just thankful she was okay. I would tell her that she is very loved and to please come home when she is ready.

I fear Katelin is not okay and if she isn't, it would break my heart to know she was out there all alone just waiting to be found. That's what hurts in all missing person's cases. More efforts are needed here. More coverage is needed.

WHY isn't something more being done for Katelin??? WHY isn't LE giving an update??? Why aren't the reporters asking questions???

I have never seen anything like this in a missing persons case.

MOO

I've read both threads, but I don't recall what day KA flew into VA to visit. She went missing Dec.5, so was the visit a couple of days or so? TIA. The reason I ask is this. Iow, this doesn't seem like a Thanksgiving trip since it was significantly afterwards. This seems like a visit that was centered around her sister and the new baby. If she is so close to her sister that she would come home for a few days - not on a holiday - that tells me a lot in that I don't see her disappearing and putting her sister through these emotions, especially after recently (?) giving birth. (How old is the baby?)

I also think the holidays were meant to be spent the fiancée since she visited VA between the two main holidays. (I assume she celebrates Christmas IDK) Additionally, she and Amber have known each other many years, since childhood IIRC, so I cant see KA putting Amber through this either.

I know people do strange things all the time, but didn't I read here that KA is not a seasoned traveler? or doesn't like to travel alone? This is an important tidbit to me too.

Does the family have internet? Her phone seems like the kind that does not. She'd HAVE TO HAVE HELP imo if she went missing by choice and she'd need a way to contact and plan. So if no access to internet, she'd have to rely on her phone to organize some plan with someone and talking on a phone with family around, well, I wonder if there was privacy for that. IDK. Also, I'd think there'd be a record of who she called or contacted. Or does her phone not fall under that umbrella legal-wise? I mean, if she is the owner of the phone is there red tape in getting the phone records? I assume she owned the phone but maybe it was in Amber's name which would be better since she could then give permission to search the records. But I thought I read it was a prepaid phone so. *sigh* IDK where I'm going with this.

I just do not think she left on her own. I don't think she left Spotsylvania (?) However, I reall reading here that SD's car was (confirmed?) "in the area" of the mall, so if they used a tracking device on the car to discern this or his phone pings, surely they'd know where he went during that whole day and night and the next day, etc. Are people who do nefarious things so stupid as to take their phone with them when they do... whatever they do? I thought phone ping info is common knowledge; but conversely, some people don't know their car has a tracker. We weren't told what method was used to know that SD was near the mall. FRUSTRATING!

I also wonder if SD's home was searched bc if he is innocent I'd think he'd give permission for a search and that does not require a warrant does it? TIA.

Sorry so many questions. Also, I read 81 pages of thread #1 kind of fast, so apologies if I missed something already covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member