VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting idea. I can see it being the case, but do you think if she's possibly with someone wanted by LE they would release that person's name and description? And vehicle. Depending on why the person is wanted. Like if it's someone with assault charges she might be in danger. Just a guess based on cases I've seen here.

I think that's the key- if they think she could be in danger. I really don't know what to think but the search warrants stopped after the FB warrant. What did they find that caused them not to pursue anything else?

I haven't posted since thread #1 and I know some folks on WS are just getting into this thread, so this isn't in any way towards them...but it is so frustrating that we seem to just be going in circles with the same old articles and information that were released within days of the missing report being filed. It's been over a month! What is LE doing in that area? No updates in the Heather Ciccone case, either.

You would think after a month that:

1. LE has knowledge she left at own will, so they discourage search efforts and notify family and public that no one is endangered.

2. If missing against will and after a month of no progress, it's time for LE to release details that could help the public offer clues/details. Place last seen, her likely situation at time, etc. Reach out for the public's help and don't let this fade away.

This case/thread has way more attention from members here combined with very little updated information than any other thread I've ever come across on WS. Usually you get to Thread #2 because of how much information/detail/suspect/etc there is to discuss. It's great but also so frustrating. Anyone else feel that way?

I agree. Though the local press seems to be getting back into this case. There is a public "Help Find Katelin Akens" page on Facebook and a local reporter posted there yesterday asking for Katelin's friends and family to please contact him. I hope that Katelin's parents and sister, Amber and Nicole, and others close to her will take him up on that.

I agree. Though the local press seems to be getting back into this case. There is a public "Help Find Katelin Akens" page on Facebook and a local reporter posted there yesterday asking for Katelin's friends and family to please contact him. I hope that Katelin's parents and sister, Amber and Nicole, and others close to her will take him up on that.

I hope they do as well and honestly can't imagine any reason they wouldn't. They really need to keep this in the public eye. It seems LE isn't going to.

Hope to see more information about this case, it's a tad annoying when there just isn't any information being released by LE.

Still hoping she returns home safe and sound.

I wanted to add, now that the thread is back, that I did go to the area near where the luggage was reported found, with the intention of walking around the Motts Run trails just to see what I can see. Motts Run is the recreational area surrounding a reservoir very close to where the luggage was found.

Motts Run is closed for the season. This doesn't mean it is inaccessible. It means the vehicle gates are closed and likely locked, and that anyone wanting to go back in there would need to park and go in on foot.

No idea whether LE did any investigating inside Motts Run, but that's one of my top three questions if they start opening up to the public about this case.

I wanted to add, now that the thread is back, that I did go to the area near where the luggage was reported found, with the intention of walking around the Motts Run trails just to see what I can see. Motts Run is the recreational area surrounding a reservoir very close to where the luggage was found.

Motts Run is closed for the season. This doesn't mean it is inaccessible. It means the vehicle gates are closed and likely locked, and that anyone wanting to go back in there would need to park and go in on foot.

No idea whether LE did any investigating inside Motts Run, but that's one of my top three questions if they start opening up to the public about this case.

Do you know when they typically close the gates for the season? Would it have been before Katelin went missing? I can't help but think there was a great chance to get the dogs out and have them see if they could pick anything up on a scent. Even if her other clothing was scattered elsewhere, the dogs might have found it sooner (IF it's out there), along with any other scent trails possible. MOO.

:yourock:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This case is SO frustrating.
I do not understand why LE and MSM and family are not saying a peep.

I got to thinking today about Katelin. Her personality, her hobbies, places she enjoyed visiting in the area, the types of things that might bring in clues to her whereabouts. We know none of that. And those are things that LE and family could share without compromising their case. JMO

We know virtually nothing about her except what Nic<3 has graciously shared.
If she is missing voluntarily this kind of information would be helpful.
If she decided to end her own life, this kind of information could lead LE to find her for her family.
If she was kidnapped or worse, this information could help find the perpetrator.

I was so mad about this case yesterday after doing some reading on the new Find Katelin FB that I decided to give up caring.
But it's not in me to give up caring. I can't help find her, but I can care about what happened to her, care about her family and friends and loved ones-even if they think otherwise.

I lost my brother 5 1/2 years ago and thank goodness his GF didn't listen to LE and not go looking for him because I don't think they would have ever found him. She however did find him a couple days after they searched with trained dogs in same general area. She knew him. SHE found him. NOT LE. She was traumatized by it too. Because LE didn't look hard enough to begin with. (I love LE and I appreciate how they treated us after he was found, btw, but I am a realist. He was a depressed drug addict who had gone missing several times. He wasn't a priority.)

Ugh. Yeah, this is frustrating.
Katelin's loved ones deserve answers. Sometimes you have to find those answers yourself because LE can only do so much and frankly-their prejudices sometimes come into play and they don't work as hard as they should to find the answers.

So I guess I'll go cry a little bit more for Katelin's loved ones and for the rest of us who've had a missing loved one and know how it feels to have no answers. That's something I can do. And do well.

Hi Kairi's Mom, I'm so sorry about what happened to your brother. I think all of us feel frustrated over this case. So many of us are miles and miles away and can do nothing but wait. Anyway, I just wanted you to know you are not alone. :hug:

Off topic: Kairi's mom, Is that a greyhound in your profile photo?

Hi Kairi's Mom, I'm so sorry about what happened to your brother. I think all of us feel frustrated over this case. So many of us are miles and miles away and can do nothing but wait. Anyway, I just wanted you to know you are not alone. :hug:

Off topic: Kairi's mom, Is that a greyhound in your profile photo?

Thank you for the hug. I needed that.:tyou:

She's actually a yellow lab/boxer/german shepherd mix.

Attachments

• k.jpg
    k.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 732
Kairi's Mom, I can feel your pain and how much you miss your brother. Although you are not alone, it doesn't lesson the pain, even after 5+ years. You're right about LE prioritizing, but it's not just LE that does. Even here, whenever a case comes up that involves an addict (someone's loved one), the judging and lack of understanding about addiction begins which causes so much additional pain for the families. Your brother was a good person and you knew who he really was deep inside. He is now free of his pain and looks upon you with everlasting love.

She's actually a yellow lab/boxer/german shepherd mix.

She is so beautiful! Oh my! Our sweet fur-kids are great to have when we need those hugs, which is basically all the time :)

So sorry about your brother. It's so frustrating to me that lives are rated by importance. I get there are not enough resources, but I t still breaks my heart. Is that your feeling with Katelin's case?

All I can think of is people know where Katelin is, alive or not, and the silence is because they are letting LE do their job.. either way it turns out. It's what I hope.

Come home soon, Katelin!

Kairi's Mom, I can feel your pain and how much you miss your brother. Although you are not alone, it doesn't lesson the pain, even after 5+ years. You're right about LE prioritizing, but it's not just LE that does. Even here, whenever a case comes up that involves an addict (someone's loved one), the judging and lack of understanding about addiction begins which causes so much additional pain for the families. Your brother was a good person and you knew who he really was deep inside. He is now free of his pain and looks upon you with everlasting love.

TY ILOKAL
Sadly, there is a lot of judging, even with people who've been touched by it personally. I still catch myself doing it, such as in Lonzie's case. I try not to, but it is hard to do. I try to remember that underneath the very selfish addict is a person who is probably quite opposite when sober.
In this case, I don't know what to think because we know so little about Katelin. Did she have a drug problem at some point in her life that MAY have seemingly contributed to her disappearance? If so, would that color LE's investigation? Is her being a lesbian/bisexual a problem for one or more investigators? I don't know. But I find the possibility troubling.

She is so beautiful! Oh my! Our sweet fur-kids are great to have when we need those hugs, which is basically all the time :)

So sorry about your brother. It's so frustrating to me that lives are rated by importance. I get there are not enough resources, but I t still breaks my heart. Is that your feeling with Katelin's case?

All I can think of is people know where Katelin is, alive or not, and the silence is because they are letting LE do their job.. either way it turns out. It's what I hope.

Come home soon, Katelin!

This little fur-baby is so stinking cute she gets by with just about everything! Her boxer side is very strong and I love it. :)

In Katelin's case, I am not sure what to think. My first thought is that LE is too old-fashioned or proud to believe that the public can be of any help so they shut down MSM and thus the public. But I'm not familiar with them so I could be very wrong. But that's the impression I get. If MSM is so unreliable and gets things so wrong more often than not, (which I agree with ) then make a public statement that can't be misquoted!

(modsnip)

Do you know when they typically close the gates for the season? Would it have been before Katelin went missing? I can't help but think there was a great chance to get the dogs out and have them see if they could pick anything up on a scent. Even if her other clothing was scattered elsewhere, the dogs might have found it sooner (IF it's out there), along with any other scent trails possible. MOO.

Thank you!! It just occurred to me that maybe THIS is WHY the clothes were removed from her luggage. So dogs wouldn't be able use them to follow her scent trail and track her!

This thread is for Katelin. Posts have been snipped and removed. Let's try to keep the tone positive.

Thanks.

Just a thought not saying it's the case here but what if Katelin hooked up with someone who has reason to avoid LE? In that case she would lay low and not contact anyone with her location and if LE could tell from her social media that she hooked up with someone on their radar, they wouldn't want that to be public knowledge if said person was part of another investigation. Grasping at straws here.

Tillicum, you have a great point here - one in which I don't think we are giving enough weight to: the only warrant issued was to access her Facebook account. After that, it's as if LE stopped actively searching for Katelin.

I am worried about getting deleted, I keep accidentally posting what I shouldn't on this thread because I have so many feelings on it, and there's so little verified information. Anyway, I had a random tangential thought - to my knowledge, Katelin is not presently in NAMUS. It is possible no one has submitted her, but if they had (which seems likely since really anyone could initially submit her) - is it possible speculatively that NAMUS has been unable to carry out the verification process? In other words, I wonder if LE is confirming there's still an open file...or not.

I hope that made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member