VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure wish more people shared your concern. There's a huge difference between an expression of positive support with a healthy dose of respect, as opposed to gossip that will embarrass or humiliate a person, and potentially drive him or her further away.

That is what bothers me,sometimes some things are not our concern or business and should be left alone.And when a case is solved people continue to delve into a persons privacy.

Since there are no new updates I wanted to ask something that may have no relevance but that has been a question on my mind since day one. For any of you who are familiar with journalism or have experience in the field.....How does one in a case like this keep their name out of all articles? I've been wondering this for some time. In my local community, certain professions are afforded that courtesy as an unwritten rule. If there is a DUI reported that involves LE or their family member we will usually only see "a 32 year old man" versus their name as typically reported . This courtesy does not apply to more serious incidents.

That is what bothers me,sometimes some things are not our concern or business and should be left alone.And when a case is solved people continue to delve into a persons privacy.

I've often wondered if a case could/should be archived to the basement once a person is found. I've seen a couple of threads that have been (frustratingly!) completely deleted after the person has been located, presumably at the request of the person, their family or LE. I especially feel runaway teens could struggle knowing their case here comes up on a google search.

All that said, I always want to know where they've been and why. None of my business of course, but I'm still curious.

Bumpity bump Miss Katelin! There are still people out there that care about you, time to come home sweetheart!

http://cdn.patch.com/users/635954/2012/03/T800x600/e41ea40ae34c724d951c3282f5494f7e.jpg A pretty accurate depiction of what the town center looks like right now.

The reason I'm concerned for Katelin is because of where ahe was supposedly dropped off. I've lived in Fairfax County for about 10 years now; Springfield "Town Center" is undergoing a ton of construction/renovation in and around it. I took my kids there with my MIL to have pics done at the Sears there. Most of the parking area was deserted, even on a weekend when you would expect quite a bit of foot traffic. You have to enter the parking lot, navigate construction entrance and exit blocks and then drive all the way around to the back of the "mall" to reach the area where most people park and enter into the mall. It's a pretty run down place at the moment. It's definitely not a place that you would really go and wander and enjoy the shops. Why not the quirky part of Arlington that has amazing food and interesting shops and the Apple Store... or even one of the shopping centers in Alexandria that are actually nice and have multiple shops, restaurants etc.
Plus from the Town Center would mean walking a mile through a pretty sketchy area with a suitcase in tow and then waiting alone to catch the train to the airport (something which she had no familiarity with doing) It just doesn't make sense that she would ask to be dropped off THERE, even if she planned to take a break from her family or fiancé or both.Just MOO of course.

Since there are no new updates I wanted to ask something that may have no relevance but that has been a question on my mind since day one. For any of you who are familiar with journalism or have experience in the field.....How does one in a case like this keep their name out of all articles? I've been wondering this for some time. In my local community, certain professions are afforded that courtesy as an unwritten rule. If there is a DUI reported that involves LE or their family member we will usually only see "a 32 year old man" versus their name as typically reported . This courtesy does not apply to more serious incidents.

The media has a right to free speech, including using your name in the context of the truth or in investigative journalism. You can sue for defamation, of course, if your name is connected to something untrue, like being inferred as a murder suspect when you're later found not guilty, etc or having it associated with terrorism, for example. You can appeal to a news outlet to retract your name, but they can refuse. You can remove references of yourself from search engine results by contacting Google: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2744324
Here is a good article on the law behind this in the UK:
http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/reporting-criminal-records-media/
And US:
http://www.mediacrimevictimguide.com/right.html

http://cdn.patch.com/users/635954/2012/03/T800x600/e41ea40ae34c724d951c3282f5494f7e.jpg A pretty accurate depiction of what the town center looks like right now.

The reason I'm concerned for Katelin is because of where ahe was supposedly dropped off. I've lived in Fairfax County for about 10 years now; Springfield "Town Center" is undergoing a ton of construction/renovation in and around it. I took my kids there with my MIL to have pics done at the Sears there. Most of the parking area was deserted, even on a weekend when you would expect quite a bit of foot traffic. You have to enter the parking lot, navigate construction entrance and exit blocks and then drive all the way around to the back of the "mall" to reach the area where most people park and enter into the mall. It's a pretty run down place at the moment. It's definitely not a place that you would really go and wander and enjoy the shops. Why not the quirky part of Arlington that has amazing food and interesting shops and the Apple Store... or even one of the shopping centers in Alexandria that are actually nice and have multiple shops, restaurants etc.
Plus from the Town Center would mean walking a mile through a pretty sketchy area with a suitcase in tow and then waiting alone to catch the train to the airport (something which she had no familiarity with doing) It just doesn't make sense that she would ask to be dropped off THERE, even if she planned to take a break from her family or fiancé or both.Just MOO of course.

Would someone who hadn't lived in the area for the past year know this information? Or has it been like that for a long while? Has it always been rough? Would there be Metro service to the airport near the areas you mentioned? If so, how much shorter or longer would the Metro trip be? Are there any stores at that mall that aren't anywhere else? I'm just trying to figure out if there could have been any possible reason to go to that area.

It seems if she intended to meet a friend and run off, there would have been plenty of other places to meet up that would have been safer. I can only think of a couple reasons why she might choose there *if* her intention was to get away from everyone. Maybe she thought with the construction and roughness of the area, she'd be less likely to be spotted on camera or by someone she knew OR maybe she met up with someone who worked in one of the stores at the mall (who might know where cameras were situated and might have assisted in a getting her a new look).

Imo. Any missing female who luggage is found on a road will get updates in the press. Especially if the body hasn't been found. After the body is found then le would make an announcement and continue on. But if there is no body found. Then the family will hound the media for help.

Which isn't the case here. So imo. Katelin is okay.

Especially since the family isn't offering any kind of reward for information. Jmo

What if, hypothetically, the family was asked not to address the media by LE? Does anyone know of a case where that has happened?

What if, hypothetically, the family was asked not to address the media by LE? Does anyone know of a case where that has happened?

I believe that has happened in this case. I think it is a reasonably common thing also.

I honestly don't know what to make of this case. I truly want to believe Katelin needed some space to figure her life out and took off on her own, and is okay, wherever she is. I want to believe that (because that means she's okay), but I don't think I do. From all I've read, those who know her say she would have called or texted someone by now if she were okay.

LE has pretty much gone silent, and loved ones are still on FB hoping to hear something. Kind of at a standstill, really. :(

You're still on our minds and in our hearts, Miss Katelin!

#FindKatelin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know what to make of this case. I truly want to believe Katelin needed some space to figure her life out and took off on her own, and is okay, wherever she is. I want to believe that (because that means she's okay), but I don't think I do. From all I've read, those who know her say she would have called or texted someone by now if she were okay.

LE has pretty much gone silent, and loved ones are still on FB hoping to hear something. Kind of at a standstill, really. :(
I have seen it happen where a girl goes missing on her own and things snowball out of their control. In this case, if Katelin did send the text she was going to make other plans then later figured out everyone, including the police, were looking for her...it could have been quite intimidating. She could be embarrassed and scared to come back now. Hopefully, she will stop and realize the people who love her don't care about all of that as long as she is okay...if that is the case. There is nothing she has done that cannot be forgiven and resolved. She is a young girl who has the world in front of her and she may be looking for something no one realized she wanted. She just needs to call her mother or sister and come home.

Forgot to include this earlier - the Heather Ciccone case is an example of this, the case has been sealed and the family has been asked not to speak publicly.

Forgot to include this earlier - the Heather Ciccone case is an example of this, the case has been sealed and the family has been asked not to speak publicly.
True. It is an unusual case. A female stalker is believed to be the perp, but then LE said the reason they asked to seal the warrants was because various people would be put in danger. I find it quite intriguing as it sounds more like a cartel execution instead of a lovers' triangle. Either she is one scary woman or there is a lot more to the story we are missing.

I have seen it happen where a girl goes missing on her own and things snowball out of their control. In this case, if Katelin did send the text she was going to make other plans then later figured out everyone, including the police, were looking for her...it could have been quite intimidating. She could be embarrassed and scared to come back now. Hopefully, she will stop and realize the people who love her don't care about all of that as long as she is okay...if that is the case. There is nothing she has done that cannot be forgiven and resolved. She is a young girl who has the world in front of her and she may be looking for something no one realized she wanted. She just needs to call her mother or sister and come home.

I had the same exact thought. What if, I decided to walk out on my life to clear my head and then a few days later discovered my name was all over SM? I really don't know how I'd feel about that but I don't think any of the feelings would be good. I certainly wouldn't want my name & personal details about my life (and speculation about my character, mental health, etc., not to mention rumors and unkind things being said about me, or rumors being started about my family, etc.) plastered all over the place. SM is a double-edged sword, really. VERY useful in raising awareness but also horrible for the way it feeds certainly personality types that thrive on drama and love to start rumors. I guess I'm just rambling though. I really want Katelin to be okay, wherever she is.

I think once we have people in our lives that care and love us we owe them at least a message of im ok.
I've wanted to walk away and honestly I don't think anyone would say I think she wanted to start a new life. They would all think I've been harmed. But I do have these thoughts. I would never do it as I have to many depending on me.
I think we owe it to our loved ones to let them know.
Just my own ramblings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<modsnip> It's not likely she took off to start a new life somewhere. More than likely, there's more here then meets the eye. <modsnip>

I hope something "breaks" in this case. I can't understand, for the life of me, why more hasn't been done. It doesn't settle well with me for people to just sit back and wait. MOO

Yep, I think your right. This whole case has been very irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow