DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re in good hands: Virginia’s Medical Examiner sets nationwide standard

by Marge Weimer
November 19, 2009

You won’t see Dr. Leah Bush doing rounds at the local hospital, but she is the kind of doctor families look to for answers and law enforcement depends on. Bush is the Chief Medical Examiner of Virginia, based in Richmond, and one of many forensic pathologists who investigate thousands of deaths each year statewide. We had a chance to sit down and talk with her about her unconventional career path and the medical examiner field as a whole.

A road less traveled
Bush’s career in forensics began during her pathology residency at MCV Hospital in 1986. For pathology residents (who study and diagnose disease in tissues and organs) taking on part-time medical examiner work is not uncommon.

“I was looking for opportunities to moonlight – to make extra cash,” Bush said. “I needed a car; I had just graduated medical school [and] had loans to pay off, so I started casting around for ideas for part time work.”
Since then, Bush said she has performed over 5,000 autopsies.

Bush’s career in the Office of the Medical Examiner began later that year as Assistant Chief in the Tidewater District. Her move to Chief came in 2008. She said forensics provides a way to maintain a comfortable lifestyle and interesting career, especially for women interested in starting a family. Unlike emergency room doctors and obstetricians, for example, forensic pathologists have fairly reliable schedules.

“I didn’t start off as a kid thinking this is what I want to do,” Bush said. “I always knew I wanted to be a doctor – but I thought more along the lines of surgery or OB – and ended up falling in love with [forensic pathology] as a career.”
Bush’s childhood was almost as unique as her current profession. Her father worked for the Department of Defense as a principal in schools set up for soldiers with families abroad. At an early age, her family moved from the U.S. to Taiwan. When Bush was in first grade, they settled in Okinawa, Japan, where she eventually graduated from Kubasaki High School.

“Because I come from that background, I understand that not everyone thinks alike,” Bush said. “I embrace cultural differences and I know there are other ways to do things.”

That cultural sensitivity is evident in her current efforts to educate her colleagues. Recently, Bush held statewide training on how to treat the Muslim dead with respect according to their religious beliefs. Soon, the same training in regards to the Orthodox Jewish faith will be implemented.
“We want to follow their religious beliefs as best we can so we don’t upset them anymore than they already are by the death of their loved one,” Bush said.
http://rvanews.com/features/were-in...dical-examiner-sets-nationwide-standard/23281

Ok, what the he$$? Below is from the news link MBlover posted above?!
Has the family received notice from LE that the ME ruled on COD? Are you telling me a reporter received this info before the family did? :furious:

Niece is this true? Has family been notified? If so can you give me a time of notification (want a chart).

No we werent notified. Another family member called newspaper and that is how we were notified.

This kind of ignorance and lack of sensitivity makes the pain worse!

LE has procedures for everything and tell you they cant do certain things because it is "against procedure". Where was their procedure this time!!!!

AN - I would definitely report these folks for their lack of...well...everything. I would suggest writing to the Board of Supervisors, the Representatives, the Senators, Governor, etc. These people need to be held accountable for their actions/inactions.

I would be on the phone calling their offices...writing letters. I would raise the biggest stink you can. Letters to the Editor, letters to the news stations...etc... I would do whatever I could to make my voice heard.

No we werent notified. Another family member called newspaper and that is how we were notified.

LE has procedures for everything and tell you they cant do certain things because it is "against procedure". Where was their procedure this time!!!!

This is absolutely unforgiveable and I am so sorry to hear this....it is the ruling that we were all afraid might come....unfortunately it looks like LE "took the easy way out" in this case.....what a total lack of respect for Kelly and her family....LE could have made just ONE phone call to inform the family.....I am willing to send emails to any office in order to request a review. Kelly's family...please just say the word as I know you have a lot of support here...just let us know if/who you want us to contact and I'm sure many of us will help.

This makes me so freakin mad!

I am so sorry your family not only lost Kelly, but is now suffering further from the complete lack of compassion and observation of proper protocol from the Chesterfield Police Department!

I am in shock, maybe she did drown but when and where? I don't believe that she jumped into the river, and even though she was a strong swimmer, she managed to overcome her instincts to survive, and let herself drown!

Since LE 'closed' the case, I'm wondering and HOPING the family or next of kin (mother) can request the case file, including the evidence file from LE. One reason being, I think back to the nephew locating some safety glasses (probably Kelly's) and I believe I read they were being sent away for DNA testing. What were those test results? There would be at least 1 person (Likely Kelly's) DNA on it just from wearing or holding them, but was there any other DNA??

We still need to keep this thread going to be here and be whatever support the family needs because if there's anything we can do like call, write letters, whatever it takes...there SOOO needs to be an investigation into LE and this case needs to get re-opened!!!

I am from the area and I am appalled at the way this is being handled.
I would write the our state Senators, James Webb and Mark Warner and well as local officials.

I believe the majority of us here believe that this outcome handed down by the ME and LE is full of (fill in your own word here).

There's been a lot of info on these threads for Kelly that would cause us to believe anything other than what the ME has said.

This has been thrown out on the board before...but maybe we should bring it up again...something for the family to ponder if they decide to appeal the COD (which I hope they do)

Why would anyone want Kelly gone? (in no particular order)
1. Her job?
2. Her houses/estate? (or other belongings)?
3. jealousy over what she had material wise?
4. Jealousy of her position at work?
5. Jealousy over her life in general?
6. Angry over a new or continuing friendship/possible relationship?

I'm sure there are other things...what else can be added to this?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1790546876#!/group.php?gid=122991791054802

This is a link I created I need everyone and anyone to stand behind me so we can bring justice to all those that are abused missing and exploited in VA. To everyone thank you for the condolences and the prayers and the searching. Though one chapter is closed another is open and we "THE FAMILY" will not stop until we have JUSTICE!

Well now that I cant sleep I need to just keep typing. Anyone who wants to help please add me or go to my page and email me. I have contacted other family members of woman found and we are going to work together and do what the police and ME AND LE should of done and that is fine JUSTICE. I do not know how to contact people through here as there are so many rules outlined on here. I do know how to accept friends on here as well as read messages on here but it is alot harder then on facebook. So please everyone wishing to help contact me either on here or by the link about which I am the administrator of. And God forbid if something should happen to me "know that I did not commit suicide for asking what happens after death". And for the one who did this I hope you are reading this because "WE ARE COMING FOR YOU!"

"Step 3 Consider where the body is found. Most drowning victims are found in bathtubs or swimming pools. If this is the case, investigate the victim's personal habits and routines to see if there was reason for them to be taking a bath (instead of showering) or swimming. If the victim is found in a distant body of water such as a lake, swamp or ocean then you need to start thinking about foul play."

I guess the ME forgot about STEP 3 FOUL PLAY!

What about a life insurance policy? Did anyone stand to benefit financially from Kelly's death? Add that to your list MB; Financial gain!

Jaime I absolutely cannot believe LE and the ME came to this conclusion. But I believe the majority of the responsibility for a bad COD Ruling (and botched investigation) lies with the CPD. It's no secret that the ME could potentially be swayed in his ruling by what they read about the investigation in the case file. We already know the drowning diagnosis is the most difficult to rule on. If there is little to go on forensically where are they going to look for information?

Is the family considering hiring a PI Jamie?

Medical examiner rules woman's death suicide by drowning

By Michael Buettner (Staff Writer)
Published: May 21, 2010

State medical investigators say a Chester woman whose body was found in Swift Creek in March after a two-month search most likely took her own life by drowning herself.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has determined that the cause of Kelly D. Catalano's death was drowning, and the "manner of death" was suicide, said Steve Murman, regional administrator for the Medical Examiner's Central Region.

The ruling was consistent with comments made by investigators during the search for Catalano, 40, who disappeared on Jan. 15 in the middle of her workday at Blue Print Automation off Ruffin Mill Road.

Capt. Terry Patterson of Chesterfield County Police told The Progress-Index in January that investigators had spoken with people who had talked with Catalano in the days before her disappearance, and "A couple of people said that she was asking a lot of questions about what happens to someone after death and if one needs to be baptized in order to go to heaven."

Patterson said investigators had found a journal Catalano kept and that "Lately, she wrote a lot about the end of life and such things."

Catalano's friends and family discounted those questions and journal entries, explaining that she had a lifelong interest in religion and life after death. They also pointed to some of the circumstances surrounding her disappearance - leaving her work station in the middle of a shift, making plans for a visit with one of her nephews, signing up to run in a race - as evidence against suicide.

On Thursday, Catalano's sister Judy Williams of Meadville, Pa., said she is unable to accept the medical examiner's conclusions.

http://progress-index.com/news/medical-examiner-rules-woman-s-death-suicide-by-drowning-1.800624

Well there you go, it's as I said. The ME relied on LE's opinion ... INSANE!!
I hope one day we get to read the investigation files. I really am curious about who the "people" are that LE rely upon so completely to "know" Kelly so well that they feel she committed suicide?!

Why would anyone want Kelly gone? (in no particular order)
1. Her job?
2. Her houses/estate? (or other belongings)?
3. jealousy over what she had material wise?
4. Jealousy of her position at work?
5. Jealousy over her life in general?
6. Angry over a new or continuing friendship/possible relationship?
7. Possibility of insurance policy?

I'm sure there are other things...what else can be added to this? Anyone feel free to add to the post!

Also want to keep TS's post fresh too - Sorry ME & LE - we can't let this rest since you folks didn't do your job...

UPDATED LIST

Why Kelly Catalano's death was not a suicide:

1. Body found upstream
2. Goggles discovered on the second day of the search in an area that had already been searched
3. Kelly expressed things had been moved around in her home
4. Kelly's mailbox was vandalized; vulgarities written on it
5. Kelly took her car keys and cell phone with her as she ran out of BPA and toward the river; seems she was planning to return to work
6. Kelly left her machine running, as if she planned to return
7. Kelly bought 30 gallons of gas and a volleyball pass and signed up for cooking classes the night before her disappearance; she had future plans
8. Kelly made plans to meet and walk with coworkers at 11:00-11:30 on the day she disappeared
9. Kelly had just gotten a raise
10. Kelly had just bought a new car, which she loved.
11. Kelly reported to others that she was being stalked
12. Water in Swift Creek was shallow; Kelly was athletic and a strong swimmer
13. Body traveled upstream approx 1.5 miles
14. Doors to Kelly's home were found unlocked (after police locked them) following Kelly's disappearance
15. Kelly told coworkers she'd "be right back" or "be back in a minute"
16. She went to work that day. If she planned on suicide, wouldn't she have taken a vacation or sick day and just stayed home?
17. Near date of anniversary
18. Surveillance cams weren't working at BPA?
19. Shortly after Kelly went missing, someone turned off Kelly's cell phone (which she took with her when she left BPA on the morning of January 15). Who would bring their cell phone with them when they are running to the river to commit suicide and then turn it off before entering the water to end their life? No one.
20. No suicide note. Kelly was a loving and caring person, and would not have left without some kind of apology/explanation to her family.
21. When a person commits suicide, their body is usually found fairly quickly (as it's a rather difficult thing to hide oneself once one has passed...)

ETA: Added #20 and #21. Also edited 2-3 entries for grammatical purposes only.

To Kelly's family and friends, I'm sorry to hear that the cause of her death was declared to be suicide and that LE has closed their investigation in Kelly's case.

I have never believed and I still don't buy the LE's & ME's notion that suicide is involved in her disappearance and death.

I do believe in my heart that foul play is involved in her disappearance and death.

I can only hope that someday the truth will be found and that justice will prevail for Kelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member