VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it would be her Mom who is her next of kin since Kelly wasn't married and had no children. At least that is the way it would be considered here in Virginia.

VA LE have not sent the LE reports that have been requested. They said they dont have to because it has been ruled suicide so no "actual" crime has been committed. Some people are still trying to get reports from LE.
Yes, my grandmother (Kelly's mom) is Kellys heir.

Thank You all for not giving up!!!

Hey AN - I think that is BS...they are giving you all the run around. I think you all need to pull rank and write the Governor and whoever else.

Seems LE doesn't want to show what they did/didn't discover.... Sounds like a bunch of hink to me...

Might also want to think about calling the State Police to see if they can be of help.

http://foiacouncil.dls.virginia.gov/
Freedom of Information Act/Virginia

http://opengovva.org/
Non Profit for expanded access to records.

http://opengovva.org/virginias-foia-resources
Resources for Virginia's records.
There is also a special section in FOIA that deals with criminal records. Police must provide "criminal incident information," which includes the date, general location and general description of felonies. Other records may be kept confidential, though, including ones being used in criminal investigations, those that would jeopardize undercover operations or expose an anonymous tipster, and those involving misdemeanors. (§2.2-3706)
The government can charge for the actual, reasonable cost of locating, copying and providing the records in response to your request. You can ask the government to itemize in advance approximately how much your request will cost. The government may ask you to make a deposit if the estimate is over $200. (§2.2-3704)

I am praying for you family members. I recall the situation and never felt the suicide deal had any validity. I hope you get justice, and I know it takes work and perseverance, but some of us are right here with you in spirit. Kelly sounds like a lovely person, and I hope you get the authorities to give you the info you need. I feel still she had a call on her cell and ran out to deal with it. Sorry if I offend anyone.

VA LE have not sent the LE reports that have been requested. They said they dont have to because it has been ruled suicide so no "actual" crime has been committed. Some people are still trying to get reports from LE.
Yes, my grandmother (Kelly's mom) is Kellys heir.

Thank You all for not giving up!!!

They do not have to hand them over if you just ask for them. Your have to go to the dept and in writing state that you want them under the FOIA. You can mail the request in as well.

I had to get a 911 transcript and the clerk at the LE office in VA was super helpfull. The commonwealth Attorney did reveiw my request so I think they reveiw all request.

You may have to ask for information seperatly like the 911 call from BPA or however that call came in. Then the officers report that showed up on scene,then the dectective's report. You can most likely put it on one note but list it specificly.

If you request this information under the FOIA they have to respond to it within 7 days per LE office clerk.

Also it may help to have a list of information you want to request just to make sure nothing is over looked and anyone of us could request this information it does not have to be a family member .

It cost me 23.00 for two 911 calls I was told I had to pay someones hourly rate and there was an hour for each.

I would ask for police reports for the last 2 years for BPA or the other bussinesses there. Anytime the police where called out there and why would be on that report then if something from that needed to be expanded on you could then use the FOIA to get the detailed crime reports.They would report that information in blocks.. EXAMPLE 1100 block whatever ave.

They do not have to hand them over if you just ask for them. Your have to go to the dept and in writing state that you want them under the FOIA. You can mail the request in as well.

I had to get a 911 transcript and the clerk at the LE office in VA was super helpfull. The commonwealth Attorney did reveiw my request so I think they reveiw all request.

You may have to ask for information seperatly like the 911 call from BPA or however that call came in. Then the officers report that showed up on scene,then the dectective's report. You can most likely put it on one note but list it specificly.

If you request this information under the FOIA they have to respond to it within 7 days per LE office clerk.

Also it may help to have a list of information you want to request just to make sure nothing is over looked and anyone of us could request this information it does not have to be a family member .

It cost me 23.00 for two 911 calls I was told I had to pay someones hourly rate and there was an hour for each.

I would ask for police reports for the last 2 years for BPA or the other bussinesses there. Anytime the police where called out there and why would be on that report then if something from that needed to be expanded on you could then use the FOIA to get the detailed crime reports.They would report that information in blocks.. EXAMPLE 1100 block whatever ave.

I would agree with this.
It's a good idea to go for the two years timeline.

I would put everything in writing, just so it is verified that you have done so.

My husband's brother's death was ruled a suicide, which it probably was, but my point is that my mother-in-law, his next of kin, was able to get the autopsy report. Also, FOIA rules for VA is that you can get police records for anything not currently being investigated or prosecuted. They CAN charge you for them, but will not always do so. I asked for records for an issue that I was having, and I was not charged.

Edited to add: She didn't have to use FOIA to get the records on his death, but it wouldn't hurt to do so, since they are giving the runaround on this one.

This makes me so mad, AN. How about LE just sending the reports because a grieving family has requested them?? It's not as if this would cost LE anything other than postage. Really, what's the problem? LE, just send the reports to Kelly's family, please!

I agree, I don't know why LE should have a problem turning over the reports to the family. Surely, they must be made available if requested ?

Was the mailbox vandalism reported to the police? That was a crime so shouldn't some incident report exist for it (if LE was called) ? It may be no use at all even if there should be a report, just thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

im wondering if there is a way to check for 911 calls that were made with in 1 year prior to when kelly went missing. maybe it would give an idea of any domestic problems at her home and with who if any?

Thinking of Kelly's family and the quest for truth they are pursing. If you need anything Jody, we are all here to help if we can! Hugs!!!!

Glad to see that everyone is still going strong with Kelly's case. I have been watching and trying to understand all of this myself. Sure, many scenarios are strong possibilities but I am still feeling strong about CinV. You don't come on to a public forum and talk trash about anyone, regardless if they are your ex, if they are missing and have the potential of never being found. I don't know anyone that wouldn't be concerned and wouldn't let by gones be by gones in a case like this. If she talked this way about Kelly and while she was missing, how do you think she treated her when they were together? If I go back a re-read her posts, I will be pissed off so I won't but everything she said here as well as other websites have stuck heavily on my mind. Someday, someway, justice will be served and I hope to stand beside the family when that happens.
Shutterfly, thank you so much for just being a pal. Our many talks have meant the world to me. I am glad to see you still here and still doing what you do best.

Glad to see this case is still on page 1 guys., keep it up! Where did shutterfly go? :(

bumping for Kelly

thinking of her family & friends who must miss her so much

Thank you everybody for your help. I to wonder where Shutterfly is. She has been Very helpful with all her thoughts and pictures.
Shutter...I know you were upset about an exchange of words with another person about Kellys case but please send me an email or something. You know I need yours and everyone else's point of view on finding the truth to what happened to Kelly.
Thank you everyone!!!!!

I am wondering and maybe this has already been answered but if Kelly walked the path/trail where duck hunters were, had they seen her prior to her missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE