VA VA - Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, mom & pediatric nurse, 'involuntary missing,' husband reported her missing Aug 5, Manassas Park, 31 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not legally; that's not how it works.

They don't seal criminal cases because the victim in question has a child. They were able to do it because of the domestic element, which is still dubious because the victim isn't alive.
That’s my understanding as well. According to the Virginia manual about J&D courts, adults charged with felonies in J&D court will have their case transferred to circuit court after the preliminary hearing or the case will be dismissed. MOO but it seems to me like LE is trying to keep the details of the case from the public as long as possible while they work up murder charges (the accused must have a preliminary hearing date scheduled no later than 90 days from their arrest, so it might be quite a while before we learn anything).

That’s my understanding as well. According to the Virginia manual about J&D courts, adults charged with felonies in J&D court will have their case transferred to circuit court after the preliminary hearing or the case will be dismissed. MOO but it seems to me like LE is trying to keep the details of the case from the public as long as possible while they work up murder charges (the accused must have a preliminary hearing date scheduled no later than 90 days from their arrest, so it might be quite a while before we learn anything).
If you scroll to page 8, under the Adult Criminal Cases section, it addresses felonies like this one. The same rules that apply to cases involving minors and protected victims do not necessarily apply here. It can be very nuanced, and I’m only familiar as a longtime resident of northern Virginia and how it works.

Yeah, so it appears that this would allow them to keep him on ice until they are ready to file homicide charges (he'll likely be denied bail because he's a danger to the public). The evidence in this case would include evidence from any future homicide charges, which they wouldn't want to make public until they're ready.

So they get their guy behind bars, get the baby to safety, and don't have to tip their hand as far as the public goes.

Yeah, so it appears that this would allow them to keep him on ice until they are ready to file homicide charges (he'll likely be denied bail because he's a danger to the public). The evidence in this case would include evidence from any future homicide charges, which they wouldn't want to make public until they're ready.

So they get their guy behind bars, get the baby to safety, and don't have to tip their hand as far as the public goes.
Yes

I'm pleased when a perp is charged with a lesser crime - gets a dangerous person away from the public and also gives time for LE to build a solid case without a big rush. Good work, LE.

jmo

If you scroll to page 8, under the Adult Criminal Cases section, it addresses felonies like this one. The same rules that apply to cases involving minors and protected victims do not necessarily apply here. It can be very nuanced, and I’m only familiar as a longtime resident of northern Virginia and how it works.
Thanks for sharing your insight DaisyMaesMama! And I'm glad to see you posting here.

Not legally; that's not how it works.

They don't seal criminal cases because the victim in question has a child. They were able to do it because of the domestic element, which is still dubious because the victim isn't alive.
I didn’t say anything about the records being sealed, so far it is searchable on the vacourts page. I was just pointing out there is another victim in this case, the baby, that was placed in emergency foster care.

True. There seemed to be a desire to speak with the local people/community looking for her before they began to directly state that she is not presumed to be alive.

I am so sad that she was unable to get away from him and make a new life for herself. Seems like the level of control of her that he was exerting was making the situation more and more dangerous previously. Leaving an abuser is one of the most dangerous times for a person in an abusive relationship. I am glad the little one is out of his hands and safe. Edited because there are accusations of controls that are speculation rather than MSM so far.

Last edited:
@MassGuy was it ever reported why he was dismissed from the police recruitment after 22 days? I didn't read the reasoning behind it, I'm not sure if it's public either, just thought maybe someone else came across that? TIA
I imagine there are privacy issues and that's all we'll hear about it. I've been dying to know what happened since I saw his LinkedIn, and I'm glad we got something at least. Hopefully they do keep digging.

I imagine there are privacy issues and that's all we'll hear about it. I've been dying to know what happened since I saw his LinkedIn, and I'm glad we got something at least. Hopefully they do keep digging.
Can we fit his dismissal into a bigger timeline. Can someone remind us when Mamta arrived in USA, got married, had baby, etc? What was happening with the two of them when he got dismissed?

jmo

Can we fit his dismissal into a bigger timeline. Can someone remind us when Mamta arrived in USA, got married, had baby, etc? What was happening with the two of them when he got dismissed?

jmo
This was from a Washington post article several days ago:

Neupane said that the couple had an arranged marriage in 2020 and that Mamta Bhatt immigrated to the United States in 2021. A fellow nurse from Nepal, Neupane said she helped Bhatt navigate becoming a registered nurse in the United States.

So his dismissal was before she arrived, but could be around the time they initially got married.

<snipped>
On the day of his arrest, Fairfax County Police confirmed to WUSA that Naresh was hired as a police recruit in 2020 — only to be later dismissed 22 days into the Criminal Justice Academy.

In a statement, Fairfax County Police said he "was unsuccessful in fulfilling the requirements of his role and was subsequently dismissed from the Department."

<snipped>
On the day of his arrest, Fairfax County Police confirmed to WUSA that Naresh was hired as a police recruit in 2020 — only to be later dismissed 22 days into the Criminal Justice Academy.

In a statement, Fairfax County Police said he "was unsuccessful in fulfilling the requirements of his role and was subsequently dismissed from the Department."
Sounds a bit generic but we will go with it. I'm sure it will come out later, THANK YOU.

<snipped>

22 days is a fast exit

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cecillim7488
Back