GUILTY VA - Meghan Landowski, 16, raped & murdered, Portsmouth, 10 April 2008 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I understand. I'm sure you didn't mean it in the way it came across.

My train of thought was difficult to follow, I'm sorry.

It's strange... I had not seen her since the end of 9th grade, but when I heard that she had been killed, I was full of grief... I thought the same things you did... How could anyone kill her? Nobody deserves to die before they have lived a full life.... Memories I thought were small seemed significant... I was never quite friends with Meghan (she was very outgoing, and I was painfully shy), so I can't imagine what those close to her must be going through.

Recently, one of my mother's friends had something horrible like this in her family. I do not know any of their names, but my mother's friend's ex-mother-in-law and ex-sister-in-law were stabbed to death in their home... Even worse, the police are almost positive they know who murdered them, but there is not enough evidence to arrest him and take him to court.

The murderer needs to suffer for what he did... He has caused pain and heartache in many, pain that can never fully heal... Even though I do care greatly for Robert, if he is the murderer, he deserves severe punishment.

Lizzybeth makes a good point. Please note that the that the myspace link I posted MAY, but does not definitively, belong to the person who was arrested and charged...but...it is the right name (Robert Barnes), right age (17), and right school (Churchland HS). There are also a couple of other details mentioned on the page that tie with some other information I have.

Are you sure there aren't two kids in that school with the same name? The kid that has that MySpace just doesn't seem like a kid that would break into someone's home and end up murdering someone. He is involved in things that would keep him out of trouble and seems to have his life going in the right direction. If you read what he has done with his violin and who he has played with it just doesn't seem like it could be him. His name is pretty common. I hope it wasn't this particuliar kid. He has so much going for him.

Bobbisangel,

That's him unless the media put up the wrong picture. It's happened before but I would hope that someone called them and reported it to them immediately. So far that hasn't happened that I know of.

I'm sure his mom thought he was involved in all the right things too. She must be in terrible grief and shock.

kekekyon, you don't have to keep explaining yourself sweetheart. I think all of us understand what you were trying to get across now. It's just when I read it the first time last night I was angry.

He was your friend. It's hard to grasp when someone that we care about how does something so horrible yet has never shown us that side of their personality. As far as your mom's friends, don't give up that they'll find the person responsible. I had almost given up on the PPD and now look. I think maybe they were having a hard time believing it was this kid too and maybe that's why it took so long. Maybe they had to wait for the DNA evidence that came from the hospital.

There are many facts and circumstances that the police still can not release. Be assured that the right person has been arrested. The detectives would never have taken the steps to arrest a 17 year old unless they we're sure. Sadly, some people are never who they seem.

I am extremely proud of the detectives who have been and still are consumed with this case. Your persistence has paid off! While the hardest part is over, there is still the task of preparing for and going to court. For the doubters of the PPD, you should apologize. These detectives are very capable and never ever "forgot" this case as some have accused them of doing. Until you have been in their position on a case like Meghan's, you shouldn't doubt them.

Gatorgirl,

I think I did apologize for doubting them in an earlier post, if not, then I apologize now. I'm very proud of them in how they handled this case. I'm sure it was upsetting for them, frustrating and again upsetting to arrest a seventeen-year old for such a horrible crime. These men and women have children, brothers, sisters, nephews, etc. I'm sure like us they can't imagine how horrible both families must feel right now.

I also apologize for judging the whole police dept. based on two that I have had contact with and thought extremely unprofessional. Two bad apples don't spoil the whole dept.

Earlier I posted that the townhouses RB lived in were behind Food Lion and backed up to Meghan's. Jeepgirl told me the street he lived on and I was wrong.

Someone help me out. I mapquested the directions (only because I wanted to see a possible route, I'm familiar with both areas) from Meghan's to RB's. How in the world did he walk (and I'm assuming he walked) from Meghan's home and no one notice that he was bloodied or injured? Was it just a drop that the PD was able to get and have DNA'd?

Here's the most direct route.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Por...1&2y=US&2l=36.8074&2g=-76.37835&2v=STREET&r=s

I am really surprised that this boy is the right boy. He just blew off his whole future...for what...to rob a house...which ended up in a murder? He must not have known anyone was at home. I wonder what he planned to steal? This stuff is so darn senseless. A young girl lost her life just because this boy wanted something that didn't belong to him...something he had no right taking. Wonder if he ever thought of getting a job and buying whatever he wanted instead of stealing it?

I wonder if this kid had any kind of record at all....had ever been into any trouble...anything? I wonder if he was alone? Kind of hard to believe that he was this great kid and then all of a sudden he decided to rob a house and when a person who lived there got in his way he murdered her. I wonder if he knew Meagan? If this kid had never been in any trouble before it seems that he suddenly went from one extreme to the other. His parents must just be in shock.

Glad they have the killer though. This young lady deserves justice and so do her parents. Such a senseless crime.

Bobbiesangle: Like others, those are a lot of good questions that I'm sure will be answered as the investigation continues.

With the exception of the unknown if the right guy's picture was posted (and subsequent MySpace page), I'm positive that they have the right suspect in custody. With the evidence, DNA samples, and other factors, I doubt they'd make an arrest without being absolutely sure, KWIM? If in fact the right person's info was linked here, it is a tragedy that such a seemingly "normal" teen with so much potential could do this. But you never know what goes on in one's mind, so there must have been some underlying issues there for him to have committed this horrible crime.

I am really surprised that this boy is the right boy. He just blew off his whole future...for what...to rob a house...which ended up in a murder? He must not have known anyone was at home. I wonder what he planned to steal? This stuff is so darn senseless. A young girl lost her life just because this boy wanted something that didn't belong to him...something he had no right taking. Wonder if he ever thought of getting a job and buying whatever he wanted instead of stealing it?

I wonder if this kid had any kind of record at all....had ever been into any trouble...anything? I wonder if he was alone? Kind of hard to believe that he was this great kid and then all of a sudden he decided to rob a house and when a person who lived there got in his way he murdered her. I wonder if he knew Meagan? If this kid had never been in any trouble before it seems that he suddenly went from one extreme to the other. His parents must just be in shock.

Glad they have the killer though. This young lady deserves justice and so do her parents. Such a senseless crime.
Yes he did know her they went to the same school and were friends from what i've heard...this is so sad and breaks my heart both young lives ruined for what ..this kid if guilty seems to have a dark side to him yet with all his talent had everything going for him but I'm sure they would not have arrested him without good reason and evidence..i noticed on his my space he did not have Meghan as a friend but it makes me wonder if he deleted her or she deleted him as a friend ..LE did request all of her myspace records so they would have any message's he sent her ..also they would have dna evidence if the unknown blood at the crime scene comes back with his DNA

Gatorgirl,

I think I did apologize for doubting them in an earlier post, if not, then I apologize now. I'm very proud of them in how they handled this case. I'm sure it was upsetting for them, frustrating and again upsetting to arrest a seventeen-year old for such a horrible crime. These men and women have children, brothers, sisters, nephews, etc. I'm sure like us they can't imagine how horrible both families must feel right now.

I also apologize for judging the whole police dept. based on two that I have had contact with and thought extremely unprofessional. Two bad apples don't spoil the whole dept.

Earlier I posted that the townhouses RB lived in were behind Food Lion and backed up to Meghan's. Jeepgirl told me the street he lived on and I was wrong.

Someone help me out. I mapquested the directions (only because I wanted to see a possible route, I'm familiar with both areas) from Meghan's to RB's. How in the world did he walk (and I'm assuming he walked) from Meghan's home and no one notice that he was bloodied or injured? Was it just a drop that the PD was able to get and have DNA'd?

Here's the most direct route.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Portsmouth&1s=VA&1a=%5B1-99%5D+Roberts+Ct+W&1z=23701&1y=US&1l=36.82075&1g=-76.3776&1v=STREET&2c=Portsmouth&2s=VA&2a=%5B600-899%5D+Lancer+Dr&2z=23701&2y=US&2l=36.8074&2g=-76.37835&2v=STREET&r=s
I would think this would be an easy walk for a young kid less than mile he could have washed off the blood maybe wrapped a paper towel or something around his injury and if he had on long sleeves no one would notice that is if the injury was on his hands or arms if injury was on his face it would have been harder to conceal ...ok I just looked at Map Quest it is just a little over a mile about 4 mins away i guess thats in a car walking would take longer of course

Take a look at the mapquest route in aerial view.... it's possible he traveled an almost straight line from Meghan's yard, around the perimeter of Food Lion, tru the greenspaces between residential & business areas, then thru the schoolyard into the back of his townhouse complex. That would be considerably less than the mile- long driving route, perhaps without meeting another person. I suppose one would encounter fences so a bike may not have been practical. However, Jewell Ave is a direct route & would be a quick bike ride back home..... Did he have a car? It could have been parked at Food Lion & a hop over the fence would make him "home free".

My question is WHY.... not that there could be an acceptable answer. I do not think robbery was his motive....Meghan was the target. He entered thru a window... must have known she would not have let him in the door, or needed the element of suprise on his side.

It could be a year or more before the trial & details come out. My take from the news conference is that Barnes recently became a suspect, they just got enough to charge him & the investigation is ongoing.

I think it is acceptable to post unsubstantiated news & theories in the private forums. I am going to open a "scuttlebutt" thread in the Parking Lot. If you have a contribution or interest, please come there.

I agree NoZme, I feel she was targeted also. He bound her, that says a lot. It's not just some robbery. The police did a great job in solving this case.

Be careful. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post people's myspace without knowing for sure that is the person.

I'm not saying it isn't the same person I just don't want you to get a time out or anything.

They have his myspace page posted on the newspaper article that mentions his arrest. And his name. I wondered the same thing about releasing minors names. Maybe that only applies when they are the victim and not the perp. I've lurked here and haven't really posted, but I've been following the case. I am SO GLAD that this jerk (I can think of other names to call him, but.....) was caught and arrested. I'll be interested to read about the how's and the why's of this. Unbelievable. RIP Meaghan! Justice will be served.

I think it is acceptable to post unsubstantiated news & theories in the private forums. I am going to open a "scuttlebutt" thread in the Parking Lot. If you have a contribution or interest, please come there.

Where is the Parking Lot and how do you get there, please?

I have confirmed that it is the right Robert Barnes (that may be the papers are now also using his middle name, which is Lee, when they reference him). Also, if you check www.youtube.com, you will find a posted video of a violin performance he gave and his middle name is used there also.

Right now I just want to know "why" and "how" this happened. I knew Meghan quite well...and, while I am sure my interactions were different than a peers as I am an adult...I can tell you that she was a nice kid. A real little girly-girl giggler. I didn't know the young man, but I do know people who do, and this comes as a shock to all. He appeared, for all intents and purposes, a good, clean-cut, talented kid with a future.

Take a look at the mapquest route in aerial view.... it's possible he traveled an almost straight line from Meghan's yard, around the perimeter of Food Lion, tru the greenspaces between residential & business areas, then thru the schoolyard into the back of his townhouse complex. That would be considerably less than the mile- long driving route, perhaps without meeting another person. I suppose one would encounter fences so a bike may not have been practical. However, Jewell Ave is a direct route & would be a quick bike ride back home..... Did he have a car? It could have been parked at Food Lion & a hop over the fence would make him "home free".

I see what you are saying, and most of the way you could be well away from other people, but getting across Portsmouth Blvd if you were bloody or hurt without people seeing you would be a real feat. It's very busy there and there's a lot of foot traffic, in addition to a lot of cars. I could see getting across if it was dark, but in the afternoon, with all the kids around from Wilson and Alliance Christian and such...I just don't see it. Now...if you had a car behind the Food Lion, it would be a piece of cake.

Where is the Parking Lot and how do you get there, please?

I have confirmed that it is the right Robert Barnes (that may be the papers are now also using his middle name, which is Lee, when they reference him). Also, if you check www.youtube.com, you will find a posted video of a violin performance he gave and his middle name is used there also.

Right now I just want to know "why" and "how" this happened. I knew Meghan quite well...and, while I am sure my interactions were different than a peers as I am an adult...I can tell you that she was a nice kid. A real little girly-girl giggler. I didn't know the young man, but I do know people who do, and this comes as a shock to all. He appeared, for all intents and purposes, a good, clean-cut, talented kid with a future.

The Parking lot is at the bottom of the WS page, under private forums. There is the Jury Room, Parking Lot, Political Pavilion (Is it still there?), Pets, etc. Different things that are not necessarily crime related.

On the news tonight they said the police haven't ruled out an accomplice.

Yes he was charged with burglary, but as per the code of Virginia, he just had to have intent to commit a crime, not necessarily to rob.

It's a shame that this intelligent child will no longer have a "normal" life. But it's MORE of a shame that he took another child's promising life. It makes no sense to me. I see it everyday. People just do not value life. I guess that's what happens when people have babies just to get a check. :mad:

Although this is a huge relief, there's still a long process ahead for the detectives and they really could use your support! I am so very glad for Meghan's family that they have an answer to "who", but I'm sure that "why" is now the big question. It will all come out as time passes!

Happy rainy weekend all.....:crazy:

I myself pray that the person/persons who committed this murder be bought to justice. That swift, out of nowhere arrest troubles me though. Seems it should have been swift from the beginning. If this kid broke in a window, wouldn't fingerprints, footprints had been evidence in itself. And the blood? Why so long? And in cases like this, don't LE look at parents, siblings, boyfriend/girlfriend 1st. I hope this kid has a hell of a lawyer. Remember the case several years ago in Hampton,
VA. To make a long story short, the detective wanted recogition and planted/called in bomb threats. This went on for quite some time. He had a young man arrested, blamed him. A smarter detective came along with the right leads. Now that 1st detective is behind bars. Don't rush to judgement. I would love to see justice served on the killer/killers, but that 6 months seemed like a long time to all of a sudden arrest anybody to bring closure? Just brainstorming? Whatever the case, I do continually pray for Meghan's family and this young man and his family.
PRAYING FOR JUSTICE!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stefunee
Back