VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I live very close by where Jennifer's remains were found. I have lived here all my life. We try to ride in the Jennifer Short Memorial Ride each year. It's incredibly sad to go to that bridge and think about what happened to that family, especially a sweet innocent little girl.

Personally, I don't believe Bowman had anything to do with the murders. Without naming any names, and without having any personal knowledge of the Short murder investigation - IMO only - person or persons that pointed the finger towards Bowman to begin with have a more colorful and suspicious background. And what or who was the motivation behind the tipsters that provided false information. Seems an awful lot of finger pointing was going on for some reason. Somebody - and I think somebody local to where Jennifer's body was found versus local to where the Shorts lived - knows something. I just wish it could be solved. Such a tragic event.

I also have some problems with the reports I read on what the witnesses to the "truck" stated. The highway in front of the Short's home is a four-lane divided highway. The part that I read that said something about how their headlights flashed on the face of the driver and they met eyes just does not ring true to me. I know that highway - first of all, I think you'd be driving too fast for a flash from headlights to be on a person's face long enough to see their eyes and face clearly - if they ever got that close to the vehicle to begin with. Just having driven that highway and knowing how the traffic flows that just did not seem believable to me. Of course, where the house is in relation to the highway you would be able to see a vehicle in the drive and be able to give some details, but at night - on a highway that people drive 55 mph or more on...I just have a hard time believing these people are nothing more than someone wanting to interject themselves into an investigation for whatever reason. JMO only though. The whole bit about the hypnosis and the hypnotist telling her she would remember things in the coming days... eh, doesn't sit well with me. I would dearly love for there to be a connection with that truck, but I just have a gut feeling that's just a red herring and has nothing to do with anything.

MBLover - I'm with you that I think this crime, while maybe not a "professional" hit, was carried out by someone who has previously killed and gotten away with it. Lots of rumors circulate through this rural community and some, I guess, could be completely that, rumor and nothing more. But that old saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" sure has some truth to it. It's a shame some others haven't been given the scrutiny that Mr. Bowman was given.

Less0305 - ITA with you on the info you provided about Rt. 220. I travel this way a couple times a year going to Myrtle Beach and traffic is very fast paced (day and night), and most people do drive way more than the posted speed limit of 55.

(For those that are not local and do not know - Rt. 220 is a dangerous road. It is full of semi traffic and cars, and many wrecks occur on this highway. One must be very vigilant in their driving - especially when there is traffic)

I also agree that IMHO it would be very hard for someone to catch a bunch of details of a truck and a person - at night and at a higher rate of speed. I also believe, just like Bowman, these other details are a red herring.

One thing - since you may know...(as I'm the driver going to and from the beach, so I don't get to do much sightseeing)...how close are other houses to the Short family home? I ask because of the gunfire. (I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I came to websleuths late and have not read all the threads connected with the Short's).

I have followed this case from the beginning and I do believe that Jennifer was the target. I still have hope that someone will talk and this will get solved someday!

I've seen several posters believe that Jennifer may have been the target. I think that is a possibility. However, I believe Michael Short was the target - but that's JMO.

I can think of several reasons why he may have been targeted:
1) Bad business deal
2) Knew something and someone was afraid he was going to tell others/authorities
3) Someone jealous of him

and I'm sure there are other possible reasons.

What I'd like to hear from others is why would Jennifer be the target.

Why would her parents be murdered only to take her and murder her as well, just to dump her body at the first spot that may have been convenient? Would a pedophile go to that much trouble to get to a child (and more specifically Jennifer)?

For some reason I just can't wrap my mind around a motive for Jennifer being the target. Not meaning to be snarky or argumentative...I just want some enlightenment/ideas/opinions as to why. Thanks!

Joseph Duncan killed parents and a sibling just so he could take the two younger children (ended up killing one of those two before he was caught). Jennifer may have been the target.

That is true about Duncan - however he was a serial child molester/killer.

I don't believe there is anything to lead to the belief that this is the same case here - a serial perp, since there have been no other crimes such as heinous as this in the area or nearby.

Other than a child molester/killer what other motives could there be?

MBLover - if I remember correctly there is another house fairly near the Shorts, but you know this is a very rural area - so the houses aren't right next door to each other like they are in a town or city. I'm hoping I remember this correctly, but I think there was some businesses nearby - again, not right next to the house, but within a short walk. Seems like it was a very small mom/pop type motel close that has since closed down, I think. I think gunfire could have gone unnoticed because of road traffic and distance, etc. Also, if I'm in my house with TV going, air conditioning running, etc., I don't hear my neighbor out shooting - and trust me, my neighbors are ALWAYS out shooting (it's a rural area). So even the closest neighbor might not have heard it if they were home and inside their own house. Seems like across the highway is a very large outdoor flea market type place - so at night it would have been totally empty. I can totally see how someone could have been at the home, shot and killed the Shorts, left with Jennifer and no one notice a thing.

I think the key is where Jennifer was found. It still brings me back to my strong belief that the killer is from the Rockingham County, N.C. area, versus the Bassett, Henry County, Virginia area. I think the killer knew the dumping grounds very well and was very comfortable dumping Jennifer's body there. If you could only see this area you would understand. It's just seems so unlikely someone put here there who was unfamiliar with the area.

I also agree with MBLover in thinking Mr. Short was the target. I think it boiled down to a bad business deal of some kind and the person he was dealing with having a horrendous temper and a determined sense of getting even at all costs. I've always thought that there was such a disagreement/argument that if Mr. Short had turned up dead and Mrs. Short still alive and being asked by police if anyone had anything against her husband that the killer knew Mrs. Short would provide the killer's name to police. I think he took Jennifer with him to make it appear someone was interested in the girl - to throw people off the tracks.

Less - Hmmm...definitely some things to ponder on. What you've said makes sense.

I noticed in one of the more recent articles that the Short's were going to possibly move to an area in SC. Does anyone have any more info regarding their move? When it was supposed to be? Or did they change their mind? If so, why? Why did they want to make this move? Was Mr. Short's business failing (due to economy or other reasons)? Was there someone (or some influence) they wanted to be away from?

Could someone in the SC area seen Mr. Short as too much competition/threat to business? (Rockingham would be on the route back to SC)

I've always thought that there was such a disagreement/argument that if Mr. Short had turned up dead and Mrs. Short still alive and being asked by police if anyone had anything against her husband that the killer knew Mrs. Short would provide the killer's name to police. I think he took Jennifer with him to make it appear someone was interested in the girl - to throw people off the tracks.

This sounds very reasonable. Was there any proof that Jennifer was sexually assaulted?

Less - Hmmm...definitely some things to ponder on. What you've said makes sense.

I noticed in one of the more recent articles that the Short's were going to possibly move to an area in SC. Does anyone have any more info regarding their move? When it was supposed to be? Or did they change their mind? If so, why? Why did they want to make this move? Was Mr. Short's business failing (due to economy or other reasons)? Was there someone (or some influence) they wanted to be away from?

Could someone in the SC area seen Mr. Short as too much competition/threat to business? (Rockingham would be on the route back to SC)

I have read that they were going to move and it was for business reasons but I don't remember when.

This sounds very reasonable. Was there any proof that Jennifer was sexually assaulted?

No, I don't think so but since she wasn't found right away, there is no telling how long she was kept alive.

That is true about Duncan - however he was a serial child molester/killer.

I don't believe there is anything to lead to the belief that this is the same case here - a serial perp, since there have been no other crimes such as heinous as this in the area or nearby.

Other than a child molester/killer what other motives could there be?

I remember some saying that Duncan could be a possibility as he was living near the area around that time. Not the immediate area but close. I immagine that they have checked that out by now though.

IA someone would have to know the area to some extent as her remains were off the beaten path per say. Tried to get a google map of the area, but don't have an address handy of Grogan RD "B" where her remains were found. It's not far off the main rd. Gary Bowman's trailer sat about at the top of "C" in this map in the wooded area, campground/river is at the end of the road.

You can do a street view of "A" which is the Shorts area. There are 3 homes that are fairly close, then Carter Bank and Trust. Opposite side of 4 lane you have the flea market, radio station. The store is still there, not sure if open or not... it would be within walking distance to the home.http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=10820+Virginia+Ave,+Bassett+VA&daddr=Grogan+Rd,+Stoneville+NC+to:722+Webster+Road,+Stoneville,+NC+27048+(Dan+River+Campground)&geocode=FfrFMQIdW0s8-yl1UMBOO4NSiDGGfmcWTIZ_DA%3BFYPDKwIdXCA9-ykPLa51YO5SiDHoS8wr6A4XBA%3BFU5hKwIdfec8-yEfIevbz6dypw&hl=en&mra=pd&mrcr=1&sll=36.391679,-80.093696&sspn=1.379598,2.469177&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=9

Mary Jennifer Michael

(8/26/2002)
jennifer.jpg

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]AMBER Alert
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Jennifer Renee Short
[/FONT]http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/jennifer.html

Saturday, October 5, 2002
Washington Post
(...Police say they have no suspects in what is now a triple slaying. But court documents filed in Rockingham County, N.C., indicate interest in Garrison S. Bowman, 66, a man whose mobile home was found about a mile from Jennifer's body. Bowman is in police custody in Canada, and the court papers say police found a map to the Short house in his home in Mayodan, N.C...)
(...DNA evidence confirmed that a skull with a bullet hole and other remains found 10 days ago in Stoneville, N.C., are Jennifer's. The area is about 30 miles south of the Short home in Bassett, Va...)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/13/AR2010081302431.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/20/national/main519243.shtml
Investigators want to talk to a man whose rented house and mobile home in North Carolina were recently searched. Garrison Bowman was last seen in the area the day after the Shorts were killed. A sheriff says authorities know where he can be found in Canada, and will be talking to him.

Court records show that deputies seized nine maps from the mobile home on Saturday -- including one that was marked to show the location of the Shorts' home.

from post #7
Garrison "Storm" Bowman came under suspicion after his former landlord in Rockingham County told investigators he heard Bowman talking about killing an unidentified mobile-home mover with whom he had been quarreling.

Apparently the above is the reason behind the motive as being a business connection that soured.
But nothing ever was resolved , and the person never charged.
And after 8 years, this theory has not gone anywhere.

IA someone would have to know the area to some extent as her remains were off the beaten path per say. Tried to get a google map of the area, but don't have an address handy of Grogan RD "B" where her remains were found. It's not far off the main rd. Gary Bowman's trailer sat about at the top of "C" in this map in the wooded area, campground/river is at the end of the road.

You can do a street view of "A" which is the Shorts area. There are 3 homes that are fairly close, then Carter Bank and Trust. Opposite side of 4 lane you have the flea market, radio station. The store is still there, not sure if open or not... it would be within walking distance to the home.http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=10820+Virginia+Ave,+Bassett+VA&daddr=Grogan+Rd,+Stoneville+NC+to:722+Webster+Road,+Stoneville,+NC+27048+(Dan+River+Campground)&geocode=FfrFMQIdW0s8-yl1UMBOO4NSiDGGfmcWTIZ_DA%3BFYPDKwIdXCA9-ykPLa51YO5SiDHoS8wr6A4XBA%3BFU5hKwIdfec8-yEfIevbz6dypw&hl=en&mra=pd&mrcr=1&sll=36.391679,-80.093696&sspn=1.379598,2.469177&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=9

If you go to street-view on A...and pan across the street.

There is a truck setting there by itself, that resembles the truck in the composite drawing.

My best recollection was that her body was so decomposed and strewn by animals, etc., that there was no way to tell.

I have no idea if I did this correctly - but I think I added a "D" to the map that is more accurate to where Jennifer's body was found. There is a small bridge there with a small creek and I believe most of her remains were found in that creek area near that bridge. The skull had been carried up to a nearby house by the dogs that lived there near the creek and ponds.

http://www.myurl.si/KXDLS/

It didn't work apparently... Darn. I'll have to figure something out to show you more where Jennifer's body was found.

http://bit.ly/d6WCy9

I'm going to try this again. Please, please bear with me. I think I added a "D" to show more accurately where Jennifer's body was found. This is very close to where the mobile home was located that belonged to the Bowman POI.

Personally I think it's highly possible to have planted Jennifer's remains there as a way to throw suspicion onto Mr. Bowman. I think IIRC Mr. Bowman had let it be known he was leaving the country and I think someone wanted suspicions to fall on Mr. Bowman in the hopes this would be pinned on him and the real suspects would never have to worry about being caught. I don't believe Jennifer was taken and kept any length of time. I suspect she was dumped the very night that the Shorts were all murdered. I'm convinced that someone was determined to frame Mr. Bowman - and his leaving the country worked into their plan perfectly.

P.S. I give up. I can't seem to get the D added to this map correctly!!

http://bit.ly/d6WCy9

I'm going to try this again. Please, please bear with me. I think I added a "D" to show more accurately where Jennifer's body was found. This is very close to where the mobile home was located that belonged to the Bowman POI.

Personally I think it's highly possible to have planted Jennifer's remains there as a way to throw suspicion onto Mr. Bowman. I think IIRC Mr. Bowman had let it be known he was leaving the country and I think someone wanted suspicions to fall on Mr. Bowman in the hopes this would be pinned on him and the real suspects would never have to worry about being caught. I don't believe Jennifer was taken and kept any length of time. I suspect she was dumped the very night that the Shorts were all murdered. I'm convinced that someone was determined to frame Mr. Bowman - and his leaving the country worked into their plan perfectly.

P.S. I give up. I can't seem to get the D added to this map correctly!!
About the landlord, that bowman was associated with.

The landlord stated he heard bowman talking about killing someone over a dispute.quote...Garrison "Storm" Bowman came under suspicion after his former landlord in Rockingham County told investigators he heard Bowman talking about killing an unidentified mobile-home mover with whom he had been quarreling. End of quote. If that conversation never happened, if he just made it up, as far as hearing that.

I wonder where that conversation took place.

And if anyone else was around that heard it?

Where did this conversation supposedly occur i wonder?

If the landlord lied. There had to be a reason for it.
former landlord in Rockingham County told investigators he heard Bowman talking about killing an unidentified mobile-home mover with whom he had been quarreling.

Was this a phone conversation he heard, or was there someone in person he supposedly told this to, and the landlord over heard the conversation. Something tells me, the landlord said it was a phone conversation, so that way LE could not talk to the person/persons he supposedly told this to?

I wonder if that landlord, ever became a mover themselves?
Bowman was never charged, and eventually fail off the radar screen.

If this was a setup, he may have had some help.
Landlord had keys i am sure, to bowman's house trailer.
Could have put the maps in there.

Could it had been, that the landlord had someone to kill the family.
and blame bowman?
I am sure, they knew the victims. Both of them?

One thing that sticks with me, is the fact the phone lines were cut.
I wonder if that was that night, or earlier in the day.
And did the shorts call the phone company and reported a phone problem?
And being 2002 cell phones were around, so why cut the land-line wires located outside the house. Is that because the shorts didn't have a cell phone, or perhaps the killer didn't own one, and cut the lines??

I am going to read some more old articles, and see what else i can find. Because if the landlord lied about hearing that conversation, then i would start there, and re-investigate. If the landlord is still with us this day.

I wonder if they gave the landlord a polygraph test??

SPECULATION
If the landlord had a feud with the shorts OR a proble3m/feud with bowman, and had them killed or killed them himself, and then knowing bowman, tried to have bowman charged and convicted with the killings??

THE ABOVE ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART.
NOTHING POSTED AS FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back