VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ahhhhh, MrTT - you're on my wavelength now.

The former landlord's business is/was a salvage yard and I believe may have included a wrecker service of sorts. The former landlord is still "with us."

I don't know about the phone lines except to me it sounds like something someone of a different generation would do? KWIM, doesn't sound like something somebody in their 20s or 30s would do... sounds "old school" to me like something someone older would do. I don't know - I think about old movies and stuff like that and just seems to me to be something maybe someone in their 60s or 70s would think about. Both Bowman and the former landlord are of that older generation (I'm still of the belief that Bowman had never been acquainted with the Shorts - but that's not based on any facts, just my own opinion).

I think the police have been very closed mouth about a lot of the evidence. I don't recall ever hearing if this alleged conversation between Bowman and someone regarding a mover having to be killed was heard in person by the landlord or on a telephone or exactly how the conversation was heard just that the landlord reported to police he overheard the conversation. I don't remember that anyone else heard any such conversation other than the former landlord. Seemed to me it was just his word against Bowman's - with Mr. Bowman saying he never met or knew the Shorts.

Gosh, I need to go back and try to read some older articles, but I thought I remembered that in a news article there was talk about the former landlord telling police that Bowman had a false bottom or secret storage area in his van and when the police were finally able to search the van that was found not to be true. I'd probably have a heck of time trying to find that article. If I run across it again I'll be sure to post a link. My memory definitely isn't what it used to be. And there are so many abduction/murder cases I've followed over the years.

Regarding the location of Jennifer's body - I was unable to add a push pin location to the map that someone else linked - but if you pull that map up, do a search for 1500 Grogan Road, Stoneville, NC and that will be much closer to where her body was found rather than the "B" that was pinned - she was closer to the intersection of Grogan Road and River Road. There is a small creek and small bridge there.

I think they didn't believe the landlord's story was because he had a grudge against Bowman.
Then later on there was a big shake up in the sheriff's office there. Wish I had the old links.

from 2006

Yesterday, we learned that Henry County Sheriff Frank Cassel, and about a dozen other individuals currently or previously affiliated with the Sheriff’s department and another seven civilians were named in a 48- count indictment involving theft of impounded property, using and dealing with illegal drugs, trafficking in firearms, and abstruction of justice

http://commonwealthiconoclast.blogspot.com/2006/11/henry-county-virginia-sheriffs.html

All new investigators on her case now. There were some rumors at the time regarding LE possible involvement.

from 2006

Yesterday, we learned that Henry County Sheriff Frank Cassel, and about a dozen other individuals currently or previously affiliated with the Sheriff’s department and another seven civilians were named in a 48- count indictment involving theft of impounded property, using and dealing with illegal drugs, trafficking in firearms, and abstruction of justice

http://commonwealthiconoclast.blogspot.com/2006/11/henry-county-virginia-sheriffs.html

All new investigators on her case now. There were some rumors at the time regarding LE possible involvement.

trafficking in firearms..........Since we don't have the autopsy report, i wonder if the weapon used in the shorts murders, was the same type of weapon they were trafficking in?...........If they were killed with a 9mm, were any of the weapons they were trafficking in a 9mm?

I hope to re investigate this crime, the new detectives go back and interview the landlord, and perhaps ask him to retake or take a polygraph test if not already done.

Thanks for posting the information above, i was unaware of this.
Have to take some time and look and rethink things.

afterthought.
PURELY SPECULATION...
Perhaps they were into moving more then mobile homes.
And for some reasons the shorts were killed, and bowman setup to take the rap.

Do you know, if anyone took over his business after the murders?
We would have to make some connections between the parties.

from 2006

Thanks for finding that blog!

What I bolded is exactly what I have always believed to be a factor in this case. But of course that's JMHO. And that directly or indirectly Mr. Short was somehow involved or caught up in this...he may have even stumbled across (witnessed) something he shouldn't have. Several scenarios could fit...

http://www.roanoke.com/news/henryco.pdf

February 13 2002
Count 37 i found interesting.
it applies to bassett.

318 alpineRoad bassett to be exact.
How close is this address to the shorts home?

If LE was here, and i could ask them 1 question?
I would ask them, if they can connect someone from the indictments to either the landlord, the shorts, or bowman himself.

If any9one ever learns the landlords name, you don't have to post here, just check the names in the indictments and see if he is one of those names that are listed and let us know.

I found the indi8cments document very helpful as far as the mind set of the police concerning the shorts murders.
They were under investigation before, and after the shorts murder, for illegal activity. It has me thinking many things, though speculation of course.

Was it a case of wrong house?
Was it to be a distraction for LE, since they knew about the investigations?
Was they moving there dope and guns by mobile homes?
Did they approach Mr short, about making some money?
And he turned them down, and was looking to get out of town, because it was dangerous for him and his family to remain.?
And during the federal investigation, could one or more of the private zit-ens decided to start tiring up loose ends, and afraid Mr short knew to much, and they killed the whole family, instead of waiting and killing Mr short himself, perhaps they thought the wife knew to, and silenced her, and then took the child to look like a murder kidnap?? And they planted the maps in bowman's house, and the landlord lied about hearing him tell someone about killing Mr short over a business deal?

I wonder perhaps if Mr short had move some mobile homes, and discovered dope, guns or other things during the moment????

I wonder if the autopsy told what type of weapon was used, and if that was the type of weapon listed in the indictment?s.

I believe,(until LE tells me differently) somewhere deep in that 50 page document, is an answer, that will lead to all answer's about the questions concerning the shorts murders. They just need to look deeper and longer.
I wonder if Mr Short knew anyone in Mexico?

Thankyou Astrella613 for the link

THE ABOVE ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART.
NOTHING POSTED AS BEING FACT, UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

Mr. TT - the landlord's name is definitely not on the indictment list. I never read or saw any kind of news report that linked or connected him in any way to the Henry County, VA sheriff's department scandal. I never heard any rumors that he was connected. The former landlord lives in Rockingham County NC, but it still is very close so that doesn't mean that he couldn't have been associated with some of the same people - I just never heard anything like that around anywhere.

With regard to a possible connection of the Henry County Sheriff's Department scandal to the murders - I would only offer this opinion... Knowing the Sheriff of Rockingham County NC where Jennifer's body was found and knowing that the FBI and other agencies are involved in the investigation if there were even a teeny tiny hint that it was connected to the scandal, I believe Sheriff Page and/or the other agencies would have been on that like stink on you-know-what. I think if there were dirty cops involved and there was a way to tie it to them with any evidence whatsoever, Sheriff Page would have made that connection and run with it to a conclusion one way or the other. Once the dirty shenanigans came out I don't believe for a minute that the Rockingham County law enforcement and/or FBI agency or anyone else would have swept anything under the rug if there was even the slightest possibility that the two things were remotely connected. Also, I believe that if any of the indicted had ANY info they could have used as leverage in their case, they would have sung like a little bird to try to get no jail time, less jail time, or immunity. I just don't think there was a connection there... but that's only my opinion.

Perhaps it would be best, If i wait for updates from LE before commenting again on this cold case. I have speculated enough for now.
Perhaps the new team of detectives on the case, will learn something new or more, and let us know where they stand in there investigation.

Right...and that's what makes it so hard for me to believe they are as credible as they feel they are. Too much time has passed for the potential of what they believe they saw to be even 75% on the mark...that's JMHO

Me Too MBLover. I discount all that witness info completely.

Perhaps it would be best, If i wait for updates from LE before commenting again on this cold case. I have speculated enough for now.
Perhaps the new team of detectives on the case, will learn something new or more, and let us know where they stand in there investigation.

MrTT - I'm so afraid there won't be any updates... Seems like this case is truly a cold case. Sad to think someone truly got away with murder - here on this earth anyway. I know there's a higher judgement. I appreciate all your questions and rehashing - it gives me hope that somewhere, somebody is also giving this case a second or third look.

Link to video of last nights show on AMW:
<modsnip-removed broken link.>
(The Short Family murder case is the last segment, starting at about 33:47 into the video)

As a local resident, who also helped to search for little Jennifer in the days after her parents murder, these are "new" things I learned from watching last night:

1. The tip that everybody thought was a new tip which gave a description
of a truck and the man inside that resulted in a composite sketch,
was reported very shortly after the murders to the Rockingham
County authorities, but got lost. The tipster's husband keeps a journal
and authorities were able to look into his journal and verify these people
were in fact traveling through that area when they said they were.
2. Authorities have evidence such as fingerprints, shell casings and a hair
that have been run through databases, and nothing has come back to
point a finger at anyone.
3. There was a bag of money, credit cards and purse left inside on the
table, so the authorities believe this was not a robbery gone bad, but
that Jennifer was the target all along.
4. The $100,000.00 dollar reward that is currently being offered for info
and conviction of the person/s responsible for these murders, is set to
expire on Feb. 14, 2011.
5. The video from AMW shows what appears to be never seen before crime
scene photos. (I will be trying to screen cap them & post asap)

After story aired on AMW, story updates:

Show spurs leads Police pursue tips in Short family slayings
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=27064
Tuesday, January 25, 2011

FBI says cold case got more than 100-tips after appearing on national t.v. January 24, 2011 http://articles.wdbj7.com/2011-01-24/short-family_27047238

Henry Co. Sheriff talks about newly released info in Short Murders January 23, 2011 (video) http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/jan/23/henry-co-sheriff-talks-about-newly-rele-62958-vi-23811/

These are the crime scene photos taken from the AMW video which aired Saturday (they are not very good, if anyone else here knows how to screencap & upload it would be much appreciated):

Attachments

• mary in bed 3.jpg
    mary in bed 3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 109
  • jennifer's bed 4.jpg
    jennifer's bed 4.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 100
  • michael short on couch 3.jpg
    michael short on couch 3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 103
I still say that knowing the highway, the area, the traffic flow there is absolutely no way that woman locked eyes and saw clearly a man's face in a truck on the side of the road in the dark, etc. No one that I know who has traveled that road many, many, many times believes that. We all think she wants some kind of 15 minutes of fame. I don't buy that she couldn't provide a description, then under hypnosis, couldn't provide a description, but later, YEARS later, she can tell you what he looks like??!! No way. Our local stations here (I live in Rockingham County - approx. 3 to 4 miles from where Jennifer's remains were found) were running the show and then taking calls from people to discuss it and some people were of the same opinion - in fact, saying that this lady should be given a polygraph to determine if she's fabricating the whole thing or if she has some motive or reason for this story.

I hope that the show brings forth information that could help solve this horrible crime. I pray that the Lord will bring someone forward who has information - and before the 14th of Feb. so that they can collect on the reward - to bring to justice the monster that committed this crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo
Back